Monster cav supporting attacks

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

General Kael
Shade

Monster cav supporting attacks

Post by General Kael »

I was wondering how many attacks monster cav get from the second rank. I read the FAQ and from what I understand the riders can make up to 3 supporting attacks, but the mount doesn't get any attacks because it fights like normal cavalry. Is the right?

I was thinking I could hide Morathi in the second rank and still get her attacks.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Re: Monster cav supporting attacks

Post by Calisson »

BRB
p.82 When a CAVALRY model makes supporting attacks, only the rider can strike.
p.83 All cav rules apply to monstrous cav, with little exceptions.

FAQ, Page 83 – Monstrous Cavalry.
Add “MONSTROUS SUPPORT
Furthermore, the rider of a monstrous cavalry model can make as many supporting attacks as are on its profile, up to a maximum of three.” to the end of the paragraph.

Conclusion:
if you happen to be able to hide Morathi in the second rank, because 1st rank is full with command group & other characters, then ye, she gets 3 attacks.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

Post by Searinox Nagharha »

Though I do wonder in what unit you plan on hiding her in.
Im guesding a Infantry unit? As we dont have any access to a Monstress Cav unit and her 40mm base doesnt fit into a cav unit :P
PLOG - The House of Corvus

Group 41- Name: Searinox Nagharha - Shade
WS:5 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Equipment: Long sword; Falchion (family heirloom), Very Good Sabre, Short sword, Dagger, Throwing Dagger (4) SeaDragon Cloak, Chain
Inventory: 30 gold (214 still to be paid), Silver Bracelet, several flagons: 1x Strength potion, 3x Courage potion, 3x Healing Potion.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Acrobatics, Basic Stealth
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

There have been several releases of Morathi, with different bases.
40x40 fits in infantry,
50x50 fits in cavalry.
In both cases, it is possible to complement the command group with characters and have M pushed to second rank.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
General Kael
Shade

Post by General Kael »

Yeah my Morathi is on a 50mm base, so I was thinking to put her with my cold one knights. I like being able to buff them to strength 7 on the charge, and they grind alright with 3 strength 5 attacks per model too. I also run them with the armor piercing banner, and keep the cauldron close for extra attack spell and re-roll to wound. I depends on the army I am fighting, but I like being able to hide her from BS shooting. And she gives magic res 2 to the unit as well.

Thanks for the answers guys. I was curious because I see people run skullcrushers or the snake riders from tombkings in units with two ranks so I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

"Usually", when MC is run in more than one rank, its to do with trying to remove steadfast that much faster from an enemy unit, OR the fact that a unit 7 models wide is just damned unhandy. Plus, 7 models wide will usually not be able to attack with all models, thus losing ALL of a models attacks. Go in two ranks of 3, you at least get to strike with the riders in support.
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.