Ambush and 1 inch rule?

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Draecarion
Warrior

Ambush and 1 inch rule?

Post by Draecarion »

Ok, this might be an odd question. In the last game I played, my opponent brought ambushers. I positioned my bolt throwers so close to my edge of the board (on a hill) that it would be impossibe for ambushers to appear and be outside of 1 inch of the bolt throwers. But he claimed that this rule doesn't matter for ambushers. I let it go because I wanted to avoid an argument and it was a friendly game between friends, but I'm a bit puzzled.

Needless to say the ambushers made short work of the bolt throwers, because they didn't even have to turn to attack in the next round.
I'm still convinced that the 1 inch rule is also valid for ambushers. What do you think?
Mikael.k
Black Guard

Re: Ambush and 1 inch rule?

Post by Mikael.k »

Where in the book does it say that ambushers can be closer than 1" from enemy units, unless during a charge move? That should have been your question to your opponent :) If he cant show you such a paragraph, you just show him the "1" apart" rule. Placing units in a way that ambushers dont have room to enter the board is a perfectly valid tactic to use to protect warmachines :) I´d say you were right.
Draecarion
Warrior

Post by Draecarion »

His interpretation was that, since ambushers can arrive at any edge of the board, the 1 inch rule doesn't apply (which doesn't make sense IMO because they are moving from outside the game onto the board and the 1 inch rule clearly states that you must not approach closer than 1 inch to a unit whilst moving). It didn' really matter in that particular game, because I completely tabled him, but it still irks me a bit.
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

Nowhere in the Ambush rule does it void the '1" rule'. So... he was wrong, and you were right.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Ambushers are defined p.79, which states that they arrive as reinforcement p.27.
p.27 tells that the unit arrives "with its rear rank touching the battlefield edge".

They are not allowed to charge, so the 1" rule p.13 applies: they cannot make this move and find themselves at less than 1" from a foe.
Note also that if they move at all, they will have to get 1" away from the table's edge, as it is impassable terrain.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Draecarion
Warrior

Post by Draecarion »

Thanks for the affirmation that I was correct after all, guys. The only option for him might have been to deploy the ambushers with one rank (but probably not, because my bolt throwers on the hill were flanked by impassable terrain).
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

Good on you for doing the right thing, totally dark elf style.

I'm going to let you have your way on this minor rules dispute, and then I'm going to totally own you anyway. :)
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Agrem
Shade

Post by Agrem »

Calisson wrote:Note also that if they move at all, they will have to get 1" away from the table's edge, as it is impassable terrain.

Sorry as this might be a bit off topic but I didn't think that this following question requires a new topic as it is a related to the original.

I don't think you count the table edges as impassable terrain. If you would treat them as such wouldn't that then mean that the ambushers are not even allowed to come to the table from there? Only exception to this I think is the long edges when playing Battle for the Pass -scenario where it is clearly stated that you treat those edges as impassable. Correct?

Thanks.

BR
Agrem
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Ah, you're right indeed.
Thanks.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}