MAGIC ITEMS: Weapons

This forum is now locked until it is time to start the process of writing the new Dark Elf army book.

Well done to all those who took part!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Langmann
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician

MAGIC ITEMS: Weapons

Post by Langmann »

I am choosing capitals for major topic lists like CORE and then Small letters for a section of the major topic.

Anyhow first two random proposals gleaned from the discussion forum. I am just getting this started to set a format we can used, not putting anything in stone. I am sure you'll all have better contributions.

1. Magic sword 1 handed weapon +2 S 40 points.

2. Executioner's axe: 30pts, +2S, strike last except when charging, 5+ killing blow, bearer must be in an executioner unit and can not voluntarily leave the unit.

I suggest we assemble a large list, get the points and everything all worked out for each item, then put it to a membership vote. Have people rank each item from most preferred to least preferred then set a cut off at say, as an example, 3 new items. Some sections in magic should obviously get a few more new items, ie arcane, banners etc, while others may get 1 or none... just to make it fair with other armies. My orc book gets a huge list for most things, as to dwarfs etc....

Also the current items in the AB must stay, so those revisions would be done and voted on separately so GW could produce pasties to stick over any revisions.

Lets get rolling...
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
Metallurgist
Cold One Knight

Post by Metallurgist »

1. I would probably take that weapon very, very rarely.

2. Looks fine, I like it. I would take that.

-Metallurgist
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Some kind of magic whip for the beastmaster which confers +1 strength
Langmann

Post by Langmann »

Magic Weapons

Executioner's Axe (errata) - In addition to the given abilities, any model wounded by the Executioner's Axe (after saves, etc) loses not one but D3 wounds.

Crimson Death (errata) - Points: 35 -> 30.

Chill Blade (errata) - Points: 25 -> 20.

Dark Sword (errata) - In addition to the given abilities, for every wound a model loses to the Dark Sword, its Leadership is decreased by one for the remainder of the battle.

Hydra Blade – 50 points – Gains 2+ attacks per combat phase.

Venom Sword – 65 points – as is.

New Magic Weapons

Blade of Enternal Hatred - 80 Points - Character wielding the weapon has +3 Attacks, has hatred.

Doom Sword - 25 points - The Dark Sword's wielder may re-roll any failed rolls to wound .

Sword of the Cold One – 40 points – This sword was fashioned after the innate strength of the cold one mount, and adds +2 Strength to the bearer’s attacks.

The Blade of Dark Mastery - 65 points
This fabled blade is a work of art from ancient Nagarythe and grants the bearer unequalled skill at arms, many a poweful druchii lord has taken up this blade to do battle with the lesser races.

Bearer gains +1A, +1S, +1WS and +2I

The Blade of Black Iron - 55 points
Forged by Furion of Clar Karond, this long blade is both beautiful and deadly, able to slay a foe in a single hit.

Bearer gains Killing Blow and always hits on a 3+

The Blade of Brilliant Crimson - 30 points
This wicked blade is inhabited by an ancient evil, which grows stronger with every unsaved wound inflicted.

Bearer gains +1S for every enemy he slays (Max.Strength 10)

Assassin's Dagger - 50 points - Models on foot only. The wielder always strikes first, even if his opponent charged that turn. In addition the wielder gains the Killing Blow special ability.

Twin Swords of Khaine - 35 points - Models on foot only. The wielder is armed with two weapons and gets the same benefits and drawbacks as if armed with an additional handweapon. In addition, the wielder gains +1 Strength.
Last edited by Langmann on Mon Dec 30, 2002 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

langmann wrote:Magic Weapons

Sword of the Cold One – 40 points – This sword was fashioned after the innate strength of the cold one mount, and adds +2 Strength to the bearer’s attacks.

Just a thought, how about the sword offers poisoned attacks instead? And cost it cheaper.

Fits the fluff.
Metallurgist
Cold One Knight

Post by Metallurgist »

DA: I think the whole idea was a +2S one-handed magic weapon... The name was probably chosen afterwards.

Chill blade and Dark sword are still worthless. If you want these to be taken, change them around entirely.

I think the Blade of Dark Mastery is too expensive. We don't need the additional WS and I that much, and 65pts is way too much for +1A and +1 S... I don't think I would take this weapon a lot.

I think there is one weapon too many with killing blow.

I love the Twin Swords of Khaine (hats off to Thanee).

I agree with the weapons I didn't mention.

-Metallurgist
Langmann

Post by Langmann »

Metallurgist wrote:DA: I think the whole idea was a +2S one-handed magic weapon... The name was probably chosen afterwards.

Chill blade and Dark sword are still worthless. If you want these to be taken, change them around entirely.

Can't think of a way, really, as the chill blade is a semi standard item, some armies have variations of it. The only way I can see it being useful is if the DE character was S5... and that brings us back to the talisman of giant strength...

I think the Blade of Dark Mastery is too expensive. We don't need the additional WS and I that much, and 65pts is way too much for +1A and +1 S... I don't think I would take this weapon a lot.

Agree.

I think there is one weapon too many with killing blow.

Choose your favorite.

I love the Twin Swords of Khaine (hats off to Thanee).

This is a good idea, isn't it?

I agree with the weapons I didn't mention.

-Metallurgist

So do I. I like the fix to the executioner's axe as well... D3 wounds to a enemy character would be funny.

I also like the blade of brilliant crimson, gets stronger with each enemy wound inflicted, up to S10! Love it!
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Don't you think the Blade of Brilliant Crimson is too cheap though?
Langmann

Post by Langmann »

Dark Alliance wrote:Don't you think the Blade of Brilliant Crimson is too cheap though?

Yep. I think possibly 40 points. I don't know. You can't go up to a character and take him out, you're going to have to start with some wimps, and you are starting at S4. Kind of like the blood armour.

What do you think it should be worth? I like the item.

I was not my idea, btw, I think it was Dehekans...
Imdat tauble
Master Babel Fish
Master Babel Fish

Post by Imdat tauble »

Ok - here we go

Executioner's Axe (errata) - In addition to the given abilities, any model wounded by the Executioner's Axe (after saves, etc) loses not one but D3 wounds.

For the cost, it works. However, its just taking ideas that are already there (ie. hydra blade) and adding them on. I like the idea of a 5+ killing blow better, even tho it might reduce the points cost - or maybe a 5+ KB that kills monsters as well :P

Crimson Death (errata) - Points: 35 -> 30.

Does it really need to be lowered in cost? People use it effectively - if we go around lowering costs everywhere, people will never accept it.

Chill Blade (errata) - Points: 25 -> 20.

Agreed that this is completely useless. Perhaps change it a bit (well a lot): when you wound a model, a cold spell is unleased. Any enemy model within 3" (maybe more???) of the one wounded moves at half speed and may not shoot or fight until the end of the next turn. Fleeing is also done at half speed.

This means that if the unit survives, some of the models cant attack next turn. If they flee, they most probably wont survive, and if they do, they are still affected. Might be a bit much tho to have all 3 of those.

Dark Sword (errata) - In addition to the given abilities, for every wound a model loses to the Dark Sword, its Leadership is decreased by one for the remainder of the battle.

Another useless item - should be called the sword of the Cold Ones in my opinion...
neway: lets make this better, but through psychology (as thats wot its meant to do). The model wounded by this gets stupidity, but an extreme case of it. In fact, from then on, the model acts as if everything around it causes fear. Immune to psychology etc. dont work here. Might not work, but it was worth a try :D

Hydra Blade – 50 points – Gains 2+ attacks per combat phase.

Wots wrong with the old one???

Venom Sword – 65 points – as is.

probably a good idea. Also see my idea on the strength talisman for a soln there.

New Magic Weapons

Blade of Enternal Hatred - 80 Points - Character wielding the weapon has +3 Attacks, has hatred.

cant find any real holes in this one :D

Doom Sword - 25 points - The Dark Sword's wielder may re-roll any failed rolls to wound .

bit cheap???

lol there actually is one! We dont need this weapon IMHO. Just asking for too much

The Blade of Dark Mastery - 65 points
This fabled blade is a work of art from ancient Nagarythe and grants the bearer unequalled skill at arms, many a poweful druchii lord has taken up this blade to do battle with the lesser races.

Bearer gains +1A, +1S, +1WS and +2I

as has been said before, we dont really need 2 of these, so costs should be down.

The Blade of Black Iron - 55 points
Forged by Furion of Clar Karond, this long blade is both beautiful and deadly, able to slay a foe in a single hit.

Bearer gains Killing Blow and always hits on a 3+

this is a nice idea...

The Blade of Brilliant Crimson - 30 points
This wicked blade is inhabited by an ancient evil, which grows stronger with every unsaved wound inflicted.

Bearer gains +1S for every enemy he slays (Max.Strength 10)

lower the maximum to 6 or 7 - we arent into super-strength characters in the DE list, and it would be unbalanced to start now. By all means also lower the point cost as well...

Assassin's Dagger - 50 points - Models on foot only. The wielder always strikes first, even if his opponent charged that turn. In addition the wielder gains the Killing Blow special ability.

i like it - perfect points cost for the assassin :D and useful too

Twin Swords of Khaine - 35 points - Models on foot only. The wielder is armed with two weapons and gets the same benefits and drawbacks as if armed with an additional handweapon. In addition, the wielder gains +1 Strength.

very nice...