DARK ARMOURY: Repeater Crossbow

This forum is now locked until it is time to start the process of writing the new Dark Elf army book.

Well done to all those who took part!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Langmann
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician

DARK ARMOURY: Repeater Crossbow

Post by Langmann »

Some people think these should cost 5 points instead of 6. I think that they should be the same price as handguns since each have different roles. Handguns are better at heavily armoured troops, while the rxb is better at light armoured T3 troops. I have done statistical analysis that concludes that.

Also an option to add poison for 2 points?
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
Imdat tauble
Master Babel Fish
Master Babel Fish

Post by Imdat tauble »

leave them - they are good for light armoured stuff, which they should be.

I'd like poison ones, but for now, make it only for characters, and at different costs for different characters (changes with the BS id say)
Langmann

Post by Langmann »

Perhaps a special list for poison rxb, such as a witch elf temple list...

getting a little ahead of things maybe.
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
Imdat tauble
Master Babel Fish
Master Babel Fish

Post by Imdat tauble »

nah just have an option for characters to coat the rxb with normal poison. anything more and ppl will complain.
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

For characters it'd probably fit to allow poisoned RXB as well, maybe just make Dark Venom available for all characters, not only Assassins and Witches. Assassins definitely should have this option (especially combining with the ToK poisons).

From the units, Warriors should have the poison upgrade for +2 points, it'd make them so much more useful (which they simply are not right now, except in obscene numbers)!

Also, the cost for Warriors only should be 5 points, not 6. Dark Riders (because of Fast Cavalry rules) and Shades (because of Scout rules) should pay the extra point.

Note, that the COC also pays only 5 pts per RXB!

Bye
Thanee
Langmann

Post by Langmann »

I have done statistical analysis (my post in articles) and the benefits of each weapon, handguns vs rxb. Handguns are much better at well armoured troops (knights) while rxb are better at light armoured troops.

What is the cost of a handgun, crossbow? If its less than a rxb I'd say it should cost the same as a handgun since their benefits oppose each other.
Metallurgist
Cold One Knight

Post by Metallurgist »

Langmann: I'm sure your statistics are correct, but one thing I know for sure: repeater crossbowelves are not worth more than 12pts a piece.

As I said in the warriors thread, I'm not in favour of the poison idea.

-Metallurgist
Langmann

Post by Langmann »

Langmann: I'm sure your statistics are correct, but one thing I know for sure: repeater crossbowelves are not worth more than 12pts a piece.

I agree completely with that. We need to get the price down by one. (13 to 12 points). I think what I was trying to say, was that my statistics may argue for why they should be cheaper! They have a role that contrasts handguns and thus should be as cheap as handguns! (Don't forget we can move and shoot, it must be factored in).
Metallurgist
Cold One Knight

Post by Metallurgist »

I agree completely with that. We need to get the price down by one. (13 to 12 points). I think what I was trying to say, was that my statistics may argue for why they should be cheaper! They have a role that contrasts handguns and thus should be as cheap as handguns! (Don't forget we can move and shoot, it must be factored in).

Ah, I misunderstood - forgiveness. Then we agree! :)

-Metallurgist
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

About the poison option... Skinks have it, Khemri Archers can have poison (at +2 points per model, same cost I have always considered - ok, onloy via a special character, but still).

Aren't we the masters of poison!? I always thought so. That's why I would like to see Core poisoned RXB troops!

Bye
Thanee
Langmann

Post by Langmann »

Don't forget Thanee, that you get two poisoned attacks for the price of 1 rxb. In other words if I had 10 rxb warriors that would be 20 chances to roll 6's, while 10 skinks get 10 chances.

The cost should be higher than 2 points, though I like the idea a lot.
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

10 Skinks are 80 points only! They can also scout and are skirmishers! Ok, they are quite frail with T2, but still!

Bye
Thanee
Langmann

Post by Langmann »

Yes but there are other reasons they cost less than the rxb warriors... c'mon you know that. :D
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Other than T2?

Bye
Thanee
Langmann

Post by Langmann »

WS 2, T2, Ld 5 aren't great at all. But I do agree with you about one thing, they are somewhat cheap. But still, thanee, our rxb would wipe them out.

Anyhow 2 attempts for poison vs 1 attempt for the same price of 2 points is unfair.
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Hmm... then how much should the upgrade cost in your opinion? 3 points?

Bye
Thanee
Langmann

Post by Langmann »

If our rxb were 5 points (which I firmly agree with you about) then I guess having rxb elves now at 12 points each, yes for 15 points I'd say the poison is reasonable. It would be somewhat powerful against low AS troops including T4 ones, addressing the problem with the rxb vs T4.

Lets see with 12 rxb elves you are looking at 4 poison hits. 1 possible save depending on AS, 3 wounds on top of 2.2 other wounds (long range, double shot T3) vs 2.6 without poison. You're getting double the poison wounds the skinks get for 2 points. Total 5.2 vs 2.6 wounds. I wonder if it is even worth it?

How many extra rxb elves would it cost to do the extra 3 wounds... lets see 12 more. I guess its still worth it.

Probably the best bet is to playtest this.