CHARACTERS: Beastmaster

This forum is now locked until it is time to start the process of writing the new Dark Elf army book.

Well done to all those who took part!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Langmann
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician

CHARACTERS: Beastmaster

Post by Langmann »

Well now some basic suggestions:

1. a special list of beastmaster items/magic to enhance his abilities?

2. control over cold ones?

3. ability raises, should he be S4?

4. use of weapons such as spears, lances?

5. Completely new skills and abilities?
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

1. Some would be nice
2. Yes, re-roll Stupidity tests in a 12" radius
3. I think so, yes, S4 at least, not much more, tho, maybe WS 5
4. Spear: definitely (WYSIWYG), Lance: no
5. Nope, not completely new

Bye
Thanee
Last edited by Thanee on Fri Nov 22, 2002 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Oh, and I'd allow light armour, this way he can also use magic armour.

Altho armour doesn't really fit, it makes not much sense to ride into battle without one. That's also the reason why I think he should have at least some better stats (WS+1 S+1), not to rival the Noble, but to be just a little more fighting capable.

Oh, and M+1, of course!

Bye
Thanee
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Ability to wear light armour.
Must be able to help control cold one stupidity (never have understood why GW didn't do this!)
Lance no, spear no IMHO - maybe have a whip with some kind of unique ability, whether magical or just s4?
M6
Langmann

Post by Langmann »

Dark Alliance wrote:Ability to wear light armour.
Must be able to help control cold one stupidity (never have understood why GW didn't do this!)
Lance no, spear no IMHO - maybe have a whip with some kind of unique ability, whether magical or just s4?
M6

I think I know why GW doesn't let him control cold ones, it would make the stupidity a non factor. And they seem to want us stupid, because there is almost no easy way out for us, other than having a noble in the unit. And thats not always appropriate.

Plus I think they were afraid people would take a BM and follow the knights around, kind of silly looking IMHO.
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

langmann wrote:Plus I think they were afraid people would take a BM and follow the knights around, kind of silly looking IMHO.

Isn't that what most non-fighting characters, like wizards, do?

Bye
Thanee
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

IMHO the Beastmaster can be compared with the Engineers from The Empire or Dwarfs.

His presence makes our beasts more effective, as much as their presence makes their warmachinery more effective.

Bye
Thanee
Langmann

Post by Langmann »

Thanee wrote:IMHO the Beastmaster can be compared with the Engineers from The Empire or Dwarfs.

His presence makes our beasts more effective, as much as their presence makes their warmachinery more effective.

Bye
Thanee

That would be nice and make sense now wouldn't it. :D

Right now all he does is ride the manticore into battle, thats the only reason I'll ever use him.

I'm just saying that for some reason GW really wants our CoK stupid.

Anyhow I am all for the beastmaster allowing cold one rerolls at this time.

But I think the knights should have other ways around stupidity than only the beastmaster or noble. (This statement belongs in the cold one knight section :) )
Langmann

Post by Langmann »

Thanee wrote:
langmann wrote:Plus I think they were afraid people would take a BM and follow the knights around, kind of silly looking IMHO.

Isn't that what most non-fighting characters, like wizards, do?

Bye
Thanee

Yeah, in a way. The CoK should be autonomously functional IMHO, tho. Knights should know how to work their mounts at least.

Just a character to follow the knights around to keep them in line is kind of different from a mage that contributes far more to a battle than just making sure the troops move forward when they are supposed to, IMHO.