MAGIC ITEMS: Talismans

This forum is now locked until it is time to start the process of writing the new Dark Elf army book.

Well done to all those who took part!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Langmann
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician

MAGIC ITEMS: Talismans

Post by Langmann »

Talismans

Ring of Hotek (errata) - Points: 20 -> 25 - Range increased to 12".

New Talismans

The Dark Heart - 30 points - The bearer has a 4+ Ward save against any non-magical attacks.

The Dark Heart (Alternative) – 45 points – grants wearer 4+ ward save. (I think this is a better choice than the 4+ against non magical attacks as most attacks than can actually threaten us are magical…)

Insignia of Authority - 25 points - Army General only. Friendly units within 18" (instead of the usual 12") may use the bearer's Leadership value.

Amber Amulet – 20 points – The wearer heals one wound at the start of each turn. The wearer can never recover more wounds than was in his original profile.

Strength of Giants – 20 points- Imbued with the animated muscle fibers of a Giant, the wearer gains +1 Strength to his profile enabling him to perform feats of astonishing power. (This item will help address the uselessness of many of our magic weapons as we can thus wound much more often (most enemy characters are T4) and get through AS better with S5 vs S4.)

Black Pearl– 20 points
The user is immune to Magic Missiles and has Magic Resistance (1).
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

I would go with the alternative Dark Heart version.
Metallurgist
Cold One Knight

Post by Metallurgist »

I don't like Strength of Giants, but I guess everyone knew that already! It should certainly not be an amulet, those are for protection only!

Isn't Amber Amulet a bit cheap?

I vote for Dark Heart #2 as well.

I love the Insignia!

Cheers,
-Metallurgist
Langmann

Post by Langmann »

Metallurgist wrote:I don't like Strength of Giants, but I guess everyone knew that already! It should certainly not be an amulet, those are for protection only!

Only way to make the magic weapons no one uses useful. Thanee already pointed out the HE already get armour so it would be wrong for us to have the same item. I guess.

Isn't Amber Amulet a bit cheap?

Not sure how to price it. It was in the old 5th Edition book. Don't know whether I really like it that much actually... had to put it in for the sake of continuity.

I vote for Dark Heart #2 as well.

I love the Insignia!

Cheers,
-Metallurgist

Me too.
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Also for consideration from Vorchild :

Vorchild wrote:I had always thought that the heart of woe was a great item that was truly unique to the Druchii and I think it should be considered as a GP item.

The current rules for 6th are already created since the shadowblade special character has the item.

GW wrote:If Shadowblade is slain, centre the large blast marker over his final position. Any model fully under is automatically hit, while models partially under are hit on a roll of 4+. Models hit by the exploding Heart of Woe take a Strength 3 hit.

My suggestion is to make this item for any character at all, even beastmasters and sorcs. The interesting thought that I had was that you could either purchase a large version of the HoW or a smaller one that uses the small blast template. The smaller could certainly be an unpgrade instead of a magic item and perhaps the larger one as well. Perhaps the upgrade instead of item idea could be for assassins only. I also suggest to make the HoW a talisman in the magic items section (both the smaller and the larger). I cost the small one at 25 pts and the large at 40. Thoughts?
Imdat tauble
Master Babel Fish
Master Babel Fish

Post by Imdat tauble »

ok - im gonna but in here about the +1 strength weapon.

The good points: Combined with weapons such as the Venom sword, it actually gives us a chance of wounding them in the first place, and thus using the abilities mentioned in these weapons.
It gives us a better chance of wounding with mundane weapons.

The bad points: Combined with Gauntlet of Power, Crimson Death or Exes Axe, it just becomes cheesy and over-powered for the DE army
Langmann

Post by Langmann »

Imdat Tauble wrote:ok - im gonna but in here about the +1 strength weapon.

The good points: Combined with weapons such as the Venom sword, it actually gives us a chance of wounding them in the first place, and thus using the abilities mentioned in these weapons.
It gives us a better chance of wounding with mundane weapons.

The bad points: Combined with Gauntlet of Power, Crimson Death or Exes Axe, it just becomes cheesy and over-powered for the DE army

There is no reason to be stronger than the GoP that I can think of really. With the GoP you are wounding dragons/demons on a 2+ with no AS. Same with exec's axe. Whoever took the strength +1 item after that would be wasting magic points, IMHO.

With the Crimson Death, I can see it as a possible bad thing, because you are still strikes on init, but then again, you'd have no points left over for magic anything else (noble if the crimson death is 30 points, otherwise its not even achievable). S7 but T3, regular armour. Easy to kill if he gets hit. I'm not afraid, really, of it being abused.

Also there are other races that can get S7 strikes on init. HE is one of them, and they are not exactly supposed to be high strength either...
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

I deliberately chose the Dark Heart to not protect against magic for two reasons.

1) I like the idea to underline a vulnerability - not only a strength - here.
2) I think it's quite good, really, to have a 30 points 4+ Ward save available (i.e. can be combined with the Gauntlet and the Enchanted Shield).

Amber Amulet: No, no! Not very Druchii-like.

Strength of Giants: Absolutely NOT a Talisman. If anything, this has to be an Enchanted Item. The name also doesn't fit well with the Druchii-theme IMHO. I still like the idea of the one-use Strength Potion better, than a permanent item, altho it would be great to have one!

Insignia of Authority: Yes, I like that one, too! ;)

Black Pearl: I'm not sure about that one. Would be nice to have, but I have always seen the Druchii to be not overly defensive against magic (Dispel Scrolls are good enough really).

Bye
Thanee
Langmann

Post by Langmann »

Thanee wrote:I deliberately chose the Dark Heart to not protect against magic for two reasons.

1) I like the idea to underline a vulnerability - not only a strength - here.
2) I think it's quite good, really, to have a 30 points 4+ Ward save available (i.e. can be combined with the Gauntlet and the Enchanted Shield).

Amber Amulet: No, no! Not very Druchii-like.

I am not really excited about it, but it was in the 5th Edition DE army book, so it must be somewhat druchii like. ;)

Strength of Giants: Absolutely NOT a Talisman. If anything, this has to be an Enchanted Item. The name also doesn't fit well with the Druchii-theme IMHO. I still like the idea of the one-use Strength Potion better, than a permanent item, altho it would be great to have one!

Why do you think that? I purposely put it here so that people couldn't then take another talisman and thus would lose opportunities to take ward saves, etc.

Insignia of Authority: Yes, I like that one, too! ;)

Black Pearl: I'm not sure about that one. Would be nice to have, but I have always seen the Druchii to be not overly defensive against magic (Dispel Scrolls are good enough really).

Bye
Thanee
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

About the Strength item, it just feels like it doesn't fit there, can't really say why.

Bye
Thanee
Inquisitor black
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Inquisitor black »

The Item that gives the extra strength IMHO would help solve alot of problems with some of our magic weapons, as said. At least these weapons will be hitting with strength five, which has a reasonable chance of causing a wound. At least propse it to GW, its worth a shot.
Be not afraid of the dark, but of what the dark hides.