MAGIC ITEMS: Arcane Items

This forum is now locked until it is time to start the process of writing the new Dark Elf army book.

Well done to all those who took part!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Langmann
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician

MAGIC ITEMS: Arcane Items

Post by Langmann »

New Arcane Items

The Hand of S’Tarra – 75 points – Fastened to a necklace of simple twine is the embalmed hand of S’Tarra, daughter of Furion. Once a brilliant and powerful sorceress of Dark Magic, S’Tarra was mercilessly slaughtered in a horrifying ritual by her father after he discovered her plot to overthrow him as ruler of the family clan. The hand allows the wearer to cast only Dark Magic spells, anywhere on the battlefield. Line of sight and range restrictions no longer apply. Spells that cannot be cast while in combat such as magic missiles, or spells that cannot be cast on units while the unit is in combat must still follow those rules and restrictions. Each time the hand is used, the wearer must roll a D6. On a roll of 2 or more, a single finger may fall from the hand, releasing some of its power. On a roll of a 1, the hand disintegrates, and returns to the dust from which it came. Thus it is forever more useless.

The Singularity Stone – 50 points – recovered from the Isle of Albion, this iron stone seems to bend, slow and recall time itself. The stone has recently been fastened to the end of an iron staff. The stone allows the bearer to reroll all the casting dice used for one single spell per turn. All the dice previously used must be re-rolled and a Miscast on the first attempt is ignored if the dice are re-rolled. Note that a dice may never be re-rolled more than once.

Wand of Darkness - 25 points - During each of your own Magic Phases, the wand allows the Dark Elf player to remove one dice from the opponent's pile of Dispel dice and add it to his own Power dice pile.

Spellcall Familiar - 25 points - The familiar's owner can swap one spell for any one spell from the chosen lore instead of the first spell of that lore when generating spells.

Sphere of Corruption - 25 points - One use only. Upon casting a spell, the bearer can invoke the powers resting within the Sphere of Corruption before rolling the Power dice. The spell counts as being cast with Irresistible Force, if at least a single six (as opposed to the double six normally needed) is rolled on the Power dice. A Miscast still takes precedence over an Irresistible Force result.

Sphere of Corruption (Alternative) – 25 points - One use only. Upon casting a spell, the bearer can invoke the powers resting within the Sphere of Corruption before rolling the Power dice. The spell counts as being cast with Irresistible Force, if at least a single double (as opposed to the double six normally needed) is rolled on the Power dice. A double 1 will be counted as both a Miscast and a Irresistible Force.
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
Metallurgist
Cold One Knight

Post by Metallurgist »

The Hand: I'm not sure about cost effectiveness, but I would probably never use it.

Singularity Stone: cool.

Wand of Darkness: too cheap! O&G have the same item for the same price - but it's one use only...

Spellcall Familiar: nice!

Sphere of Corruption: well, I personally don't care for 1 shot items that have a chance of doing nothing.

-Metallurgist
Langmann

Post by Langmann »

Metallurgist wrote:The Hand: I'm not sure about cost effectiveness, but I would probably never use it.

I like it, sorceress sitting back and occaisonally releasing black horror or soulstealer anywhere on the board! Anyhow I was trying to address our range problem. Every other race seems to have magic items that address their deficiencies in a way. Just trying, is all.

Singularity Stone: cool.

Yeah, O&G have an identical item, but its such a great item isn't it?

Wand of Darkness: too cheap! O&G have the same item for the same price - but it's one use only...

I agree

Spellcall Familiar: nice!

Sphere of Corruption: well, I personally don't care for 1 shot items that have a chance of doing nothing.

-Metallurgist

Me neither. I hate one shot items...
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Been giving some thought to the hand and I do like it. Our sorceresses are weak and not viable in combat, so being able to hide and cast the big spells is really appealing and may just start to make people fear Dark Art once more.
Langmann

Post by Langmann »

Dark Alliance wrote:Been giving some thought to the hand and I do like it. Our sorceresses are weak and not viable in combat, so being able to hide and cast the big spells is really appealing and may just start to make people fear Dark Art once more.

I like it a lot as well. I have been playing a High Sorceress army lately, and she is very vulnerable. This helps her a little, plus makes her magic terrifing to the opponent, as he never knows what direction magic will be coming from next.

It causes him to make a mad rush for your high sorceress. And that is playing into the druchii's hands.

I came up with it because it really annoyed me when I was playing against certain opponents, especially VC or O&G, who can cast certain spells anywhere on the battlefield. (ok 24" but no LOS, but that is pretty much anywhere...) Plus many of the VC magic users are deadly in combat as well...
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

I'm still looking for the soulstealer ring idea, or I am just blind and have skipped over it?
Langmann

Post by Langmann »

Dark Alliance wrote:I'm still looking for the soulstealer ring idea, or I am just blind and have skipped over it?

its not a ring, its an item called the well of souls(alternate). Its in enchanted items.
Inquisitor black
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Inquisitor black »

Well, I am happy with langmann's suggested magic items, and only have a few concerns. I will give an evualtion of the propsed items.

Hand of T'sarra - A very neat item. It needs playtesting to see exactly how much it is worth, but I think 75-80 point sis about right. Any less and it will become a mandatory item for all high sorceresses.

The Singularity stone - Nice Item, I dont know if I would take this too often, but it seems a viable choice and not overowered.

Wand of Darkness - I dont agree to this item. Makes the Darkstar cloak reduntant. Simply becuase for an extra 5 points, you are getting that extra power dice offered by the darkstar cloak that ANY sorceress can use, AND your opponent loses a dispel dice. My solution is to either upgrade the Darkstar cloak to these rules for an extra 5-10 points, or simply remove this from the proposed items.

Spellcall Familiar - Similar to the tome of furion, but nice. I like it.

Sphere of corruption - I dont like it. For 25 points AND your arcane slot, you are getting an item that really, at its best allows a free spell to get through. I wouldnt take this, ever. Note: For what its worth, I prefer the alternative.
Be not afraid of the dark, but of what the dark hides.