Temple of Khaine ideas

This forum is now locked until it is time to start the process of writing the new Dark Elf army book.

Well done to all those who took part!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Reader of posts
Shade

Temple of Khaine ideas

Post by Reader of posts »

I really like equipping my highborn/noble with ToK stuff, but IMO there are still some flaws in the list, and I have some suggestions:

- Dark venom and Black lotus CAN be coated on magic weapons. Both these poisons aren’t really taken by players because it doesn’t seem very useful. Allowing this would make both these choices more considerable. A noble with Dark swords of Khaine and Dark venom could be quite deadly. I don’t see how this can overpower noble/highborn in any way. It only creates more variety.
- Allow chracters with Hand of Khaine (and maybe rune of Khaine) to join witch elf units. It would be both fluffy and it would make the hand more of a choice, which it really isn’t right now
- Finally, cry of war. The points should be raised to 15 and the enemy unit should lose -1 weapon skill when charged automatically. It was another ToK ability which was never taken and in this way it’s a lot more handy. For an example, if a noble in a WS 5 unit would be charging an enemy unit with ws3m the enemy would be hitting on 5’s! Quite useful and not overpowering since it lasts only one round.

What do you think?
Last edited by Reader of posts on Sun Apr 13, 2003 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
War is not about who is right, but who is left.
Langmann
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician

Post by Langmann »

Poisons will not be able to combine with magic weapons. They are good anough now anyway. Poison for cheap on top of a normal Lance, GW or Halberd isn't bad at all. Also it is another rules deviation. We are trying our best to keep those low.

Being able to join witch elf units is something that makes sense since it would allow characters to become witch elf hags. Can anyone think of a reason characters should NOT be allowed to join witches with the Rune of Khaine?

I don't know about cry of war. I like it as is. It is good against low leadership scum.
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
Reader of posts
Shade

Okay, it may not be very necasary for the nobles/highborn to get poison on their magic weapons since they can be equiped with good mundane equipment like you said, in conjunction with the poisons.
However, since the noble/highborn only get one ToK abiltity I figured that they wouldn't be takeing either of the poisons, since getting touch of khaine, dance of doom or rune of khaine are much more useful for them.
The assasin however would really benefit from allowing coated magic weapons, since he can't get the mundane stuff the highborn and noble can get.

I think GW included sect enmity in the WE rules because they thought including nobles in WE units would negate their drawback of not being able to deal with armoured enemies. Or imagane a BsB with the Dread banner in a WE unit :shock: .
The hand of Khaine seems to be another unused ToK ability, so I thought only the HoK should benefit allow characters join WE units, since the rune of khaine is already good, thus creating some competition. BsB would still not be able to join WE since they can only get one magic item/ToK ability.

Cry of war: People don't really like to have a item which sometimes works and other times not. Thus I thought it would be better if the abilty always works. I think it would be a quite good item too, especially against other ws4 troops, who are suddenly hit on 3's instead of 4's.
Currently CoW can't really compete with the other abilities the ToK has to offer, so I thought a change would be in place, to change that.
Reader of posts
Shade

I would appriciate your thoughts on this langmann, or anyone else for that matter :D

thanks
Purple whisper
Noble

Re: Temple of Khaine ideas

Post by Purple whisper »

Reader of posts wrote:Dark venom and Black lotus CAN be coated on magic weapons. Both these poisons aren’t really taken by players because it doesn’t seem very useful. Allowing this would make both these choices more considerable. A noble with Dark swords of Khaine and Dark venom could be quite deadly. I don’t see how this can overpower noble/highborn in any way. It only creates more variety.

I am still playtesting the poisons. Although they don't seem very usefull on a handweapon (no strength to penetrate the armour), I think they aren't that bad on any other weapon. So I do expect it won't be necessary to combine them with magic weapons.

Reader of posts wrote:Allow chracters with Hand of Khaine (and maybe rune of Khaine) to join witch elf units. It would be both fluffy and it would make the hand more of a choice, which it really isn’t right now

Of course, when you allow Rune of Khaine as well, the Hand still isn't an option. But this sounds as a good idea.

Reader of posts wrote:Finally, cry of war. The points should be raised to 20 and the enemy unit should lose -1 weapon skill when charged automatically. It was another ToK ability which was never taken and in this way it’s a lot more handy. For an example, if a noble in a WS 5 unit would be charging an enemy unit with ws3m the enemy would be hitting on 5’s! Quite useful and not overpowering since it lasts only one round.

Don't know. I never used Cry of War because I considered it to weak because of the Ld test; I would take it more often in this form. However, I don't take it because I often don't know my opponent beforehand... Perhaps it is useful as is against low Ld armies.

All in all, I do agree that ToK has some (very) good stuff, and some stuff you'll never use. It would be more fun if there was a bit more choice.

What do you think?[/quote]
Reader of posts
Shade

I don't know for sure if about the poisons, i never tried them mayself, because I think they arn't really useful, except manbane of course.

I'm glad you agree with me purple about the HoK, it really isn't a choice right now.

Cry of war may be good against low LD troops, but the effects of the Cry arn't really useful against them, since most low LD troops already have low WS. The hand really comes in handy against other WS4-WS5 troops, but these troops have high LD, and thus the CoW has little chance of succes.
ATM, the cry isn't really worth the ToK slot due to this.
Reader of posts
Shade

Would someone please reply to topic. I think this is quite important matter; I wouldn't like to see this thread go down the drain.
Reader of posts
Shade

*bump*
Medved
Beastmaster

Post by Medved »

i dont think poison on maigc weapon is good, after some playtest, poison by itself for noble/highborn is good, and for assassin it would be too much.

hok is an option (to be able to join) but not rok ( its powerful by itself...)

i agree cry of war need a revision but its not a priority

i think we should focus on the tok list in general, like is it too powerful to allow character (noble/highborn) to use it (IMO no, and i strongly believe in that).

thats it :mrgreen:
Dalamar: 03/10/2013 "Yes, we are the epitome of glass cannon now. In fact the cannon is so powerful that it's possible for it to damage itself."
7ed: 23-3-3 W-D-L
Medved
Beastmaster

Post by Medved »

i dont think poison on maigc weapon is good, after some playtest, poison by itself for noble/highborn is good, and for assassin it would be too much.

i think we should focus on the tok list in general, like is it too powerful to allow character (noble/highborn) to use it (IMO no, and i strongly believe in that).

Dalamar: 03/10/2013 "Yes, we are the epitome of glass cannon now. In fact the cannon is so powerful that it's possible for it to damage itself."
Medved
Beastmaster

Post by Medved »

Medved
Beastmaster

Post by Medved »