Druchii.net has a magazine again!

Druchii.net Announcements! Whenever something is IMPORTANT, it is in here - PLEASE READ!!!

Moderator: The Dreadlords

General kala
Blasphemer and Heretic
Blasphemer and Heretic
Location: Sowing the seeds of evil in the hills of Austin, TX

Druchii.net has a magazine again!

Post by General kala »

Greetings all.

Well, after much contention, a lot of sweat and blood and a long long long long long wait, we are producing a magazine again. The monthly has adapted and evolved. With a very close vote and a lot of strong sentiment, the name Druchii Herald came out as the top choice for the new name. Hopefully that won't cause too much of a mutiny. :D

Lots of new plans are simmering underneath the surface for the future of the new magazine. If you want to be a part of the Initiatives or just do some freelance work, drop a PM to myself or your friendly neighborhood Initiative leader.

So here you go - Druchii Herald, January 2006 issue

I hope that all of you will be pleased and satisfied with what we have produced.

Regards,
- Kala

Note that this is being hosted on my personal site until Kitrik gives us access to the druchii.net server. I ask that you please respect that.
Because anyone vicious enough to shoot down her own battlecruiser because there might be a traitor at the helm deserves to have a Druchii namesake.
Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

Oh my.. I didn't know DH won the vote. :? w/e not really relevant.

I don't care if you call it wooden shoes, I'm glad to see it. I didn't know it was coming out this month, I can't believe it! :D

Kudos to all!

*Edit*
Those Daemonettes are very impressive, very mystical and magicy.
Excellent monthly, job well done to all!

Fr0
Last edited by Fr0 on Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Angel of algebra
Assassin

Post by Angel of algebra »

hehe, it should have been called Wooden Shoes, thats a much better name!

but thats great, a new Month-I mean Druchii Herald! (it will always be the Monthly to me ;) ) I'll add it to the collection :D

AoAlgebra :lol:
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

finally!!!!

*goes to read.. and watch drakedogs last video.. argh so much to do!!*
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

General Kala (and others) did an awesome job in putting this together. They were essentially starting from scratch after the site went down last summer and a lot of people dropped off.

They deserve our appreciation and thanks for a job well done.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Narathiel
Rudolph's Heir

Post by Narathiel »

Great job guys.
I cant really thank everyone as I will forget someone, so just excellent work :)

Very fun to read, tactics.

Only advice is the writing, which is a bit ahrd to read.
Loading times are also half as short which is good

cheers
nathy
Yeah, been a long time and I have come across all sort of ****.

but I AM back so there you go-it's official ;)
It seems like the assassin sent out to eliminate me failed.
[insert evil laughter]
Seanzala
Death Jester

Post by Seanzala »

Yay!!!!!!!! My congratulations to Kala and everyone else who worked on it. A fine piece of work. Much appreciated

Sean

PS Still think it should have been called the Black Guardian
Eldacar
Loremaster

Post by Eldacar »

Personally, I don't really like this issue, since I was finding a lot of errors and odd things that the writers and editors missed when I looked through it, including something that seems to be an illegal tactic (there was a discussion in the chat about it), but it is still good to see that D.net at least has an E-zine again. Hopefully, the next issue won't have any errors at all. :D
"I live in hope and fear. Hope that once more the Lords of Caledor will ride on the backs of Dragons. Fear that if we do, when we do, it will be our last ride." ~Imrik, High Prince

Initiative Leader - Editors
Ansob.
Follower of Malal

Post by Ansob. »

Hey, cut the Monthly some - it's its first issue in a while.

Anyway, glad things are back on. :)

(And about the name... Well.)
General Kala wrote:
Cenyu wrote:Hail to the King, baby.
All my eloquence fails to express it as well as this.
Mdk
Slave on the Altar

Post by Mdk »

This is a verry simple and good looking E-zine. Good for printing bacause of the low ink usage etc. My compliments to all who made it. (Including the one that made the cover ;))

MDK
You’re a wreck, an accident.
Forget the freak, your just nature.
Keep the gun oiled, and the temple cleaned shiz
snort, and blaspheme, let the heads cool, and the
engine run. Because in the end, everything we do,
is just everything we’ve done.
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

including something that seems to be an illegal tactic

I'm curious, which one is it? Something to keep in mind is that some articles were written a year ago, so some thing may have been clarified/changed since then.
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Langmann
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician

Post by Langmann »

Eldacar wrote:Personally, I don't really like this issue, since I was finding a lot of errors and odd things that the writers and editors missed when I looked through it, including something that seems to be an illegal tactic (there was a discussion in the chat about it), but it is still good to see that D.net at least has an E-zine again. Hopefully, the next issue won't have any errors at all. :D

All the more reason for you to get involved and write some articles!
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
Raziel02

Post by Raziel02 »

Well done to everyone who made it, love the stories and well done for choseing an exxelent topic, im one step closer to actually fielding Malekith in my army, bring on the next issue :D
i would love to write a couple of articles but the standard of work that has been produced is of a high quality its a little daunting.
Mornedhel
Cabal without a cause

Post by Mornedhel »

Yeehaw for having our magazine back! :D

It is not yet up to the quality it once was, but I am sure it will be soon, and I´m still happy to have something to read again.

As for my statement about the quality, let me elaborate, as I don´t want to be whining without giving reasons:

So far, I read the three stories about Malekith, the tactics article and battle report, and the short article about the future of GW.

(Don´t read the next part if you haven´t yet read the mon...the herald, it contains spoilers.)

Regarding the stories, except for the last, I didn´t like them much. The reason for this most likely is the lack of drama and some rather unlikely occurences - a single noble mad enough to attack the witch-king in the midst of his court, for example. With Malekith as the protagonist, the lack of drama is excuseable, as i guess it is very hard to at the same time create drama and make the protagonist appear invincible. The third story was better, because Malekith was not the central character in it and there was a nice twist - though at first I felt 'stupid shades' to be rather silly, in the end all became clear.

The tactics article was interesting, as I hadn´t really looked at Malekith´s rules that way until now, but having read that I agree that he seems to have the same or at least very similar strengths and weaknesses as the army as a whole.

The battle report was very enjoyable. I particularly liked the valiantly fleeing CoKs. :D As Eldacar already mentioned above, I found a minor mistake - or maybe it isn´t a mistake, and I´m just a rules n00b, see below - but that didn´t make the article less fun to read.

Overall, there were some spelling and grammar mistakes, but nothing that was undecipherable or seriously annoying.
As I mentioned somewhere else, if the crew have need of some more editing manpower, I can see if I have the time to do a few pages. Just ask me in the chat or via PM. I won´t join the crew cause the amount of spare time I have varies a lot lately.

The rules mistake mentioned above was that Malekith cast doombolt and black horror on turn one even though he had just charged into combat with the furies. I have always been under the impression that the only spells you can cast when the caster is in combat are those that specifically mention it, like bear´s anger or flaming sword. I might be completely wrong, though, so this is just an aside. If anyone seriously wishes to discuss this, please come to the chat or open a new thread, as this is a feedback thread, so let´s not discuss this here.

Concluding, I must say that I am very, very happy that our magazine is back, and I hope you keep up the good work! Thanks to all who helped make this.

Cheers,
Mornedhel
It´s nice to be important, but it´s more important to be nice.
Langmann

Post by Langmann »

Just so everyone knows, the magazine welcomes submissions from any member of the forum, and also welcomes people from the forum getting involved. Just ask General Kala what you can do.
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
Voodoomaster
Lord General Of Khaine

Post by Voodoomaster »

Overall, there were some spelling and grammar mistakes, but nothing that was undecipherable or seriously annoying.
As I mentioned somewhere else, if the crew have need of some more editing manpower, I can see if I have the time to do a few pages. Just ask me in the chat or via PM. I won´t join the crew cause the amount of spare time I have varies a lot lately.

yes, we were on a skeleton crew this time around, but we are hoping to change that so thin on the ground that i had to do some Edits :shock:, if you are interested in being an editor however, contact Lethalis he is the current Loremaster of the Editors.
Voodoomaster, Lord-General of the Temple of Khaine
"For every victory there is a defeat, for every defeat there is a victory. My victory, my defeat are for all to see..."
Khael Vraneth, Lord-General of Khaine.
Eeeeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Eeeeron »

Good to see it back and a good solid issue to start with. I especially liked the thought provoking article on the future of GW.
Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Bring on the dancing squirrels!

Consolecommunity.com - For all your gaming chat and meet-ups
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

The rules mistake mentioned above was that Malekith cast doombolt and black horror on turn one even though he had just charged into combat with the furies. I have always been under the impression that the only spells you can cast when the caster is in combat are those that specifically mention it, like bear´s anger or flaming sword. I might be completely wrong, though, so this is just an aside. If anyone seriously wishes to discuss this, please come to the chat or open a new thread, as this is a feedback thread, so let´s not discuss this here.

Ah, I can see where there might have been some confusion on this part. Its always a bit of a problem when you add in the fiction/fluff elements to a battle report as they can skew the battle details somewhat. In this case (and keep in mind that the battle took place more than a year ago now, I no longer have my notes and I'm pretty much just going off my own writing ;) ) Black horror was cast from the combat, but not into it. It may have been in error, but given that Malekith is large and the furies not, it was agreed that he could see out of the combat and not just into the first rank or the enemy and cast it out of combat (so it wasn't in fact cast into combat), remembering that BH requires LOS. I don't remember casting doombolt at any combats though or from any combat. I think it was just at the knights. Black horror was cast from combat twice in that game though, just for reference (the second time being a miscast and losing the spell).

I'm glad you enjoyed the tactical report as well as the battle report. :)
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

*Ras looks bewildered*

I was under the impression that the Signil was going to be the official publication in conjunction with the two other elven sites. May I enquire as to why we pulled out? I left the Signil in order to support the monthly (balls to the new name), but would be interested to hear why we changed back, personally I prefer this one race thing, but none the less I remain interested.

Ras
Pleased to be back
Eeeeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Eeeeron »

From what I have gathered, we are still contributing a team of writers to the elven mag as well as restarting our own publication.
Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Bring on the dancing squirrels!

Consolecommunity.com - For all your gaming chat and meet-ups
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

RasputinII wrote:*Ras looks bewildered*

I was under the impression that the Signil was going to be the official publication in conjunction with the two other elven sites. May I enquire as to why we pulled out? I left the Signil in order to support the monthly (balls to the new name), but would be interested to hear why we changed back, personally I prefer this one race thing, but none the less I remain interested.

Ras

Lots of politics is the short answer. ;)
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Lethalis
Loremaster

Post by Lethalis »

Another short answer is that the D.net admins were kinda stubborn.
General kala
Blasphemer and Heretic
Blasphemer and Heretic
Location: Sowing the seeds of evil in the hills of Austin, TX

Post by General kala »

Everyone was being stubborn, Leth. Let's be fair.

Long answer -

There were enough people here that wanted to maintain an independent druchii.net magazine that a compromise had to be reached. We will have the Druchii Herald, but we will also contribute Druchii-oriented content to the Sigil. I want the two magazines to cooperate instead of compete. You will notice that both Vorchild and I went out of our way to mention that in this issue.

Ras, you are welcome to work on both projects. I am doing artwork for the Sigil as well as heading up the Druchii Herald, so clearly I don't see any conflict of interest. My policy is that the original content creator has the final say in which magazine his or her content is published. The more we work together the happier everyone will be. (god, that sounded so corny)
Because anyone vicious enough to shoot down her own battlecruiser because there might be a traitor at the helm deserves to have a Druchii namesake.
Beastmaster kurlan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Beastmaster kurlan »

well this is ver very nice, a great job done by kala and everyone else who took part. i would love to help with the herald in anyway i can, pm me if anything comes up kala.
i cant seem to make friends! add me to msn you losers!

Kurlan the violent (trainee of khaine)

WS: 3
S:5
T:4
D:5
I:2

two short swords, dagger, 4 throwing knives, 500 gold coins, unarmed combat skill

Group 17 Mod
Kithamel
Executioner

Post by Kithamel »

Just finished it! Great work, congratulations (I hope I can contribute in the future in some way).

I epecially loved the Malekith-shades story, the battle report and the know your enemy: CoS section!

Keep up the good work. I've red all the monthly too but I haven't understand yet how you pick your articles. Do you decide your titles (of the articles) and then make a contest among the druchii members? Or you pick from various articles that come up?

Just so everyone knows, the magazine welcomes submissions from any member of the forum, and also welcomes people from the forum getting involved. Just ask General Kala what you can do.

If I am inspired by something and write an article, I just give it to General Kala and if he and the crew like it they integrate it on the Herald? Or in each herald there is a theme (ie. Malekith-CoS) and my article should have to wait to fit in a theme? If there is a theme and a contest abot the articles where do we sent them?
In every time and every place, the word spirit has a ring of strength and determination. It is the hero’s strength, the mother’s resilience, and the poor man’s armor. It cannot be broken, and it cannot be taken away. Except by the Druchii…