Ulthuan is down.

Druchii.net Announcements! Whenever something is IMPORTANT, it is in here - PLEASE READ!!!

Moderator: The Dreadlords

Zakath the slaughterer
Master of Puppets

Ulthuan is down.

Post by Zakath the slaughterer »

[Loki Edit]For those of you either participating in the campaign or simply a member of Ulthuan.net, you may have noticed that the website is down. At the moment, the Lores (Admins) are working on fixing it. Burning Sun has set up a livejournal here that you can check for updates on the status of Ulthuan.net.

Loki[/Loki Edit]

The topic title just looks so good... :) Can we please have it stickied? ;)
Master of puppets I'm pulling your strings/
Twisting your mind and smashing your dreams/
Blinded by me, you cant see a thing/
Just call my name, `cause Ill hear you scream
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

While it's very welcome that we are being kept updated (albeit with a distinct lack of informative detail) as to the outage, I feel I must point out that there are one or two points on this that have perhaps not been handled quite as well as they might have been.

In particular, there are two specific points that sit somewhat uncomfortably with a number of people. Most serious of thesed is that at the end of the original entry, Burning Sun points out that they do indeed know what the problem is, but are deleberately witholding this information, and the overall tone implies that they don't wish to be asked about it either (I know this personally from when I myself asked Eldacar about this last night)

The fact is that an absence of information will always invite speculation, and my email box was full yesterday with messages from a number of campaign players and site members who were touting all manner of conspiracy theories regarding the exact reasons for the outage, varying from simple incompetence by the lores, right up to GW's lawyers having pulled the plug on the campaign, and in one case, even a suggewstion of some US government involvement (although why they would waste taxpayer dollars on such a thing is beyond my understanding).

One theory (which I myself put to one of the lores a couple of days ago, when the outage first ocurred), was that maybe the campaign had pulled too much bandwidth and that was causing the hosting company to get twitchy - I was assured that thisd was not the case, and as Burning Sun points out in the blog, "The campaign did not crash the server, not directly anyway. The campaign puts all sorts of stresses on our server, and this was not one of them."

One can deduce from this telling comment that there is no direct correlation between the campaign and the outage - so quite obviously there is an indirect link, whatever that might be. (Maybe the US government theory is true here - maybe some dickweed in homeland security saw the campaign BG threads and thought it was a real terrorist group planning some sort of attack - who knows..)

Anyway, until someone speaks up, we can only speculate.

My point is that the less information people are given, the more this sort of thing will be said, and the unwilingness, for whatever reason, of anyone to speak on the matter is just reinforcing the conspiracy theorists' positions no end.

Add to this the second interesting point from the blog - where Burning Sun admits that the lores themselves don't have access to the server - Why not ? Is it simply a case of a hardware failiure that has blocked access (in which case, why all the secrecy ?) or is there something more sinister going on, resulting in the lores being blocked from accessing the server ?

In the most recent blog entry, it is said that all anyone can do now is wait.

"Finally, we're doing all we can, but at the present time, that is waiting."

Well that's fair enough of course - but wait for what ? If all they can do is wait, then obviously they don't have full, if any, control over the situation - which implies that somebody else does - who ? And Why ?

Again if there's nothing untoward going on then why not just speak up on it and put all the conspiracies to bed ?

After all the emails and IM's that I received yesterday, I can see that there is a growing concensus that there is something suspicious going on...

Whatever it is, all I want is for the site to come back online as soon as possible so that I can carry on playing in the campaign - Just when I found a strategy that was working, I find the site goes down - You see, I told you it was a conspiracy :)

Seriously though, the lack of information is really upsetting a number of people and one can easily understand why so many are getting suspicious when nobody is willing to talk about it.

Perhaps a little clarification might be a good move right now...

I just hope my campaign army is still intact by the time they get it back online.

Good luck guys....
The Dark Princess
High Priestess of the Cult Of Pleasure

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure
Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh
Erotic nighmares beyond any measure
And sensual daydreams to treasure forever
Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

Implying that someone has hacked Ulthuan? Thats abit serious though I'm not sure why anyone would try to do that??
Join the Shrine of the Serpent today!
Brotherhood of the Coast!

Zardock (Group 27)
Class: Trainee of Khaine
WS:4 / S:5 / T:3 / D:4 / I:2
Equipment: Short sword and Dagger, 50g in a pouch.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Uncontrollable Frenzy

The Keeper of the D.net Battle Records.
Oscar1492
Dark Rider

Post by Oscar1492 »

im sorry to report that ulthuan is alive and well again :(

now to continue my ransacking of the ulthuan countryside :twisted:
If you ever need anything, please dont hesitate to ask someone else first.

Khel wrote: I mean come on. He had WS9 and they gave him a "Sword of Lame Anus Cheese"?

Mr Shadow wrote:In fact it's just like making love; down, left, turn 45 degrees and engage rotor
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Whatever it was, it was no doubt fairly mundane. Web sites going down is rarely that interesting.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++