Exploring the return of the Herald

Druchii.net Announcements! Whenever something is IMPORTANT, it is in here - PLEASE READ!!!

Moderator: The Dreadlords

Lakissov
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lakissov »

Yup, if I get a material ready I will. Also, I'd like to know when it is planned to make the first new issue, i.e. when should be the deadline if I want to make something for the newest issue.
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Currently the deadline is for the end of February, with publication at the end of March/Start of April.

That gives us time to check it, edit it and get the page layout sorted.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Jabby
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Jabby »

I have been a lurker for quite some time, but I have now registered to say that I'd love to write some fluff or short stories for this magazine.
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

If you could give us an example of a story you've written, that would be useful.

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Jabby
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Jabby »

I worked on a few things for a 'Pitfighter' fluff game for Heresy-online.net. This is the introduction to a High Elf Lord.

-------------------------------------------------

Prince Ariennaar Elthrai - Highborne of Nagarythe

Smoke cleared from the small ruins as Ariennaar stood amongst the bodies. He had held out against his brothers… again. This land was his to rule and his to defend. This was his home, his province. But he continually found himself standing alone; fighting alone. He pulled his twin arced swords from the remains of a purple clad warrior near his feet. He peered into the dark oval eyes of the slain, beautiful knowledge of eons had already begun to fade. How much loss would his people endure?

Ariennaar was born in a smoky, ruined hut amongst a destroyed and forsaken landscape thought lost to the realm of the elves. The great betrayal had destroyed what would be his homeland and province, and ravaged his people. Ariennaar had stood shoulder-to-shoulder with the best he could muster, the most skilled with bow and blade. But ultimately it was meaningless. He couldn’t stop the horde of the wicked; he alone couldn’t muster the pride into his broken brethren.

As he began to pick his way from the battlefield, Ariennaar moved slowly singing his song of mourning to Morai-Heg, the Keeper of Souls. His armor clicked and rattled with high steps over blood and mud, he thought of the past months. The Phoenix King had denied Ariennaar’s request for more troops to station in Nagarythe. He was told that any troops stationed in Nagarythe would be tainted. Tainted like Ariennaar.

Nagarythe had been sentenced to die. They were cut off from the High Elves to prove their own worth in time. Ariennaar decided that day to travel the world to muster an army of mercenaries to fight and defend his realm. If the Phoenix King could not see it through, he would.

---------------------------------------

The rain fell thick here in the backwoods of the Empire and Ariennaar felt no closer to completing his goal. He had come to the conclusion that to gather a proper defensive force for his home he needed connections amongst the noblemen of the Empire. Only there would he be able to find the proper contacts and equipment needed to banish his dark kin into the sea for all time. In the eighteen years he had been away from his homelands he had spoken with nobles as well as a few Elector Counts and discovered that the only thing that would motivate the nobles of men was their chief vice: gold. They did not fight for honor or glory; for power or status. No, while the men of the Empire would speak of their honor, Ariennaar knew that they did not even know its true meaning.

Irritated about his problem he crouched in a muddy ditch amongst a thicket of sticker bushes; waiting. He and six other men were sooty, smelly and exhausted. This team of rogues and bandits that he had assembled were hired by a petty baron of Stirland, for what seemed to Ariennaar to be an even pettier amount of gold. But this is what his life had come to: a gathering of gold to hire the defenders of his home.

Their position lined a road running from a small fort in the wilds of the eastern empire to the heart of Altdorf waiting for a carriage to pass. The other men spoke softly in the mist about childish things: ale, games, and women. Their minds were not on the target as it pulled slowly down the rutted, muddy road. Ariennaar alone prepared himself, mouthing prayers to Ereth Khial, the goddess of the underworld. He asked her to guide his blades and offered the souls of his slain as a sacrifice to her.

Stepping out from the brush, Ariennaar surprised the carriage driver, causing it to spin wildly and overturn. The men from the ditch made a surprised and unwieldy charge into the fray; men poured from the carriage and engaged. Ariennaar stood and watched the ensuing skirmish. Rain and blood fell in bursts, covering the landscape. Savage swings and thrusts disgusted his taste for honor and battle. He sighed and approached the fray.

He swung high removing heads from their bodies and opening bellies with swift precision. Ariennaar was beautifully elegant in his movement, a dance choreographed years in advance, yet in his gut he felt dirty. This was not true battle, but a squabble amongst humans: ugly beasts of the corrupt Empire of men.

From his vantage he spied a runner. An old man moved swiftly away from the carnage, faster than his age seemed to allow. Ariennaar dispatched his current adversary and began pursuit. Each stride of the old man brought death and Ariennaar closer. Two blades skimmed the air and skewered both the runner’s shoulders, pinning him to the ground. The air was thick with death as Ariennaar approached; curses and profanity spewing from the old man’s mouth. Before his eyes, life ebbed from the man’s face; skin peeling from his face, revealing the skull beneath. Ariennaar was sickened by the display, removed his swords, and crossed them through the man’s exposed neck.

Removing the cloak from the old man’s corpse revealed a corrupt and ancient torso. Bleached ribs and taut flesh held close a black stone. It had a dull black coat, almost lacquered on its surface. As Ariennaar reached in and removed the stone, the body dissolved to muddy ichors. A sticky suction grabbed his hand and threatened to overwhelm his strength, but a great tug freed him.

Ariennaar pocketed the stone and moved back to the men squabbling amongst the ruins of the carriage. They had found a payroll chest; thousands in gold bullion. This could be the means that Ariennaar needed to hire his army of defenders. A quick “spontaneous” speech of honor and glory, but ultimately more gold, brought the survivors of his rag-tag band in line with his true destination: not the trivial baron of Stirland, but the sun drenched hills of Tilea. Only in the expanses south of the Empire could he find his army of mercenaries, his Dogs of War. And once there perhaps he could rid himself of these ignorant bandits he traveled with now.

------------------------------
Jabby
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Jabby »

I've got more if you'd like to read it.
Jabby
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Jabby »

What do you guys think?
Sidorio
Assassin

Post by Sidorio »

If there's still the space for it I'd be more than happy to help with stuff on the short story/ fluff sort of side of things or if there is some other little job you could find for me:D
Vash’nir - WS5 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: 2 asrai short swords, assassins dagger, silver dagger, modified repeater crossbow (20/20), hunting spear, Cloak of Dusk, full leather armour
Inventory: talisman of protection, talisman of night, smoke bombs x6, rope x2, healing balms x10, climbing axe x2, skinning knives, winter gear, Vikarh map, pouch of powder, 4 fire bombs
Mount: Dark Steed (Falken)
Gold: 2270
Skills: Stealth, Two Weapon Fighting, Basic Ride
Class: Shade
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Jabby: We'll get back to you :).

Sidorio: We are always open to new articles and stories. If you can show us some of your work and tell us what sort of story you intend to write we can go from there.

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Me again. Darkprincess is taking charge of submissions for people wishing to write fiction/background articles for the Herald.

In future, people should PM her with an example of their work to apply to write for the magazine.

Cheers,

Rork

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Willmark
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Willmark »

If my own humble mag has helped the resurgence of the Druchii Herald than ya.

If not then just kindly ignore this! ;)
Malus99
Scourge
Scourge

Post by Malus99 »

hey everyone, been lurking for a while and finally decided to sign up.

I've written several articles for a BFG webzine called warprift before and since you're thinking of starting up the herald again I thought I'd put my name up for consideration, for my own amusement I've written some rule sets for things such as Dragon's breath to enhance Reaper Bolt Throwers and as with any player have several sets of army lists and my ways of using them, so I'd be happy to contribute some articles such as some new rule sets, army lists or maybe some tactics articles if you want.

I think you should do the herald on a quarterly basis, thats the schedule warp rift runs on and I think it is best for a magazine relying on fan-submitted content IMHO.

thanks, Malus.
Venkh
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Venkh »

I'm dropping my demons and getting back into using my Dark elves again.

I would like to submit a bat rep. Ill put together a sample on the bat rep forum this week and you can let me know what you think.

You will have to excuse the state of my models. They are looking a bit ragged and neglected atm. Ill get that sorted as well.

I am very much a mid table player so there would be lots for the readers to laugh at :)