Welcome to the other side...

Druchii.net Announcements! Whenever something is IMPORTANT, it is in here - PLEASE READ!!!

Moderator: The Dreadlords

Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Welcome to the other side...

Post by Rork »

Well, here we are!

Welcome to the new and improved Druchii.net. A big thanks to Daeron for putting in the time and the effort into upgrading the forum and its appearance.

I've largely been making banners and helping Daeron refine the appearance so far, but I hope to create a new home page and Herald page over the coming weeks (plus anything else, hopefully!).

Get in touch if you spot any issues.

Rork
Webmaster

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Re: Welcome to the other side...

Post by Dalamar »

I'm really liking the new theme so far.
Is there perhaps a list of any new additions/upgrades between last version and this one?
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Rafapolit
Cold One Knight

Post by Rafapolit »

Thanks for all the effort! Looks nice and much, much faster than the old one, which was my only complaint... so, if that is solved, everything else is just the cherry on the cake! Thanks again, nice look,

Rafa.
Miasma
Warrior

Post by Miasma »

Forum's looking great guys, well done.
2013 Tournament Results

W-L-D
2-1-1
van Awful
Highborn

Post by van Awful »

Great work guy's! looking good!
Nec spe, nec metu

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Let me tell you the true story of a successful migration. 8)

Lord Rork, the highborn known for his Khorne half-blood, inherited the Black Ark named Druchii.net (the oldest scribes will tell you that this name takes its origins in the magic Net used to bring in new slaves all throughout the year).
He appointed new Dreadlords, including myself, to administrate the domains.
We found out that the very foundations of the domain were rotten, and would collapse sooner or later.
Already, more than often, some citizens had mentioned suspect site slowlinesses.
It had become urgent either to consolidate the foundations, or to move to safer grounds.

This is when we spotted a promising master of Dark Lore, Daeron, who had the potential to move the whole Black Ark and to pilot it to a new cove.
He proposed a new site, across the sea.
Along with the other Dreadlords, we have scouted the area, and it seemed to be suitable.
Decision has been taken to migrate. That was to be the second migration since Ulthuan, not something to be taken lightly.

Daeron has done a tremendous work to prepare for the migration.
He did not want to risk the rich inheritage with a fancy journey he would not totally control (maybe he feared the rightful sentence had he failed).
He made first a small model of Druchii.net at home, in order to study it on all sides.
When he felt confident, he endeavoured to create a full-scale ghost Black Ark.
The first one collapsed.
He made a second one.
The second Ghost Druchii.net was left to us Dreadlords to play with. We treated it as a free-plunder invaded city and left only smoking ruins. But it had proven surprisingly familiar with good old D.net.
He made another one. There, we found that the similarity with our home was so striking that we left it standing.

In a next step, Daeron tried his navigation skills.
To move something as bulky as a Black Ark like Druchii.net or even its ghost mimic is no small feat. We watched with awe as the large dark mass moved through the night across the Sea of Chill.
Alas, the migration of that Ghost Ark left so many cracks in walls that it had to be reconsidered from the start.

Daeron and Rork have taken the lessons learned from that failed attempt.
Having chosen together the ultimate destination, they have spent weeks there, in order to prepare the nest that would shelter our beloved Druchii.net.
Daeron convinced the Lord that the reasons for the failure had been understood and adressed. The Lord agreed.

And then came the time for the real migration.

The weather was idle. Druchii politics were busy elsewhere and would not interfere. That was the moment.
The announcement was made to the population.
During that night, however, Daeron felt that the Winds of Magic were not sustainable enough for the migration to be completed safely.
He had to postpone it.

Ultimately, after two days of frantic checks and back and forth journeys to verify the destination, came the time for the final migration.
With an incredible show of power, Daeron lifted the real Black Ark, Druchii.net itself, as a whole block.
Throughout the night, in an unbeliveable swift move, our dark home moved across the sea.
When we woke up in the early morning, Druchii.net was moored to its final destination.

This is a new continent.
We have brought with us most of our precious belongings, but the surroundings are no longer the ones we are familiar with. Even the light and the atmosphere look different.
But we, the Dreadlords, the Administrators of the domain, are confident that the new site is build on safer grounds that the previous one.

This is our new home.
This is the place from where we will regenerate our strength, and, one day, we will be ready to invade the world. :twisted:

Daeron has won forever the appreciation of all inhabitants of Druchii.net, for the successful migration he achieved.
Kudos, Daeron! :D
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Loran
Destroyer of Worlds
Location: Finland, the country people always think has penguins and polar bears walking in the streets...

Post by Loran »

Looks great and like Rafapolit mentioned, the site loads a lot faster now. Great work, guys!

- Loran
<+Hyarion> "Loran may cause addiction to mindless online games"

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Thank you all for the kind words, and the crazy story Calisson.

Dalamar wrote:Is there perhaps a list of any new additions/upgrades between last version and this one?

A few features have been added or changed. However, some features are still in a "let's try that out"- stage. We expect some of these features to be tweaked in the future (and perhaps disabled).

In a nutshell, the following features should have changed or been added:
  • Support for FLASH in posts. We don't have a tendency to make youtube spam topics, luckily, but it may be interesting if someone has a video blog or tutorial they'd like to share.
  • Images can now be uploaded as attachment to a post. There is a 256 Kb limit on the images, so they can't be humongous. We will have to monitor usage and disk space consumption from this feature.
  • Linked images should automatically be resized to fit the board. This feature is kept a close eye on as such support may depend on bandwidth and disk space comsumption.
  • RSS feeds for each board are now available. (Look for this icon: Image)
  • Subforums are supported. There is no plan to use this feature yet, but it may prove welcome in the future. For example, at Ulthuan.net they used it to "group up and archive" 7th edition army lists.
  • There ought to be improved moderation tools, but the benefits are only available to moderators.

We also lost the following features:
  • Rotating header images. This will make a return very soon. Very very soon.
  • The Druchii Monthlies are no longer available. Rork is working on a solution.
  • The old album is no longer available. We're working towards a solution, with a "read only" mode as a likely outcome.
  • The portal/welcome page is lost. We're looking into a replacement.
  • The chat page may yet return, but this may take some time. The coupling of the user's account with the chat page was handled by a mod. We have yet to look into a replacement.

The board should be faster and more stable. It should give fewer errors, but not all errors are resolved. The new forum is a stepping stone to improving the server in the background, whose upgrades were not supported by the old forum. You may still experience the odd 500 "internal server error". The issue is being looked into, but we hope to solve it when upgrading the machinery behind the board.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Cananatra
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Cananatra »

Nice work on the new Forum, I look forward to the return of the rotating headers.

You know, it's quite rude to delete someones post just to make a thread you are about to lock look tidier.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Cananatra wrote:You know, it's quite rude to delete someones post just to make a thread you are about to lock look tidier.
That's for me.
Don't worry, nothing has been deleted.
All the posts you think about were moved to here: After the migration. Report problems?
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
_grey_
Trainee Warrior

Post by _grey_ »

Very very nice work!

For everyone behind the scenes of d.net, Good work and a good development.
Help you I will........but eat we must first. -Yoda - Empire strikes Back-
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

Great work, I like the new looks :)
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Calisson wrote:

Lord Rork, the highborn known for his Khorne half-blood,

Half?! !eek!

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Gwii2510
Shade

Post by Gwii2510 »

Awesomeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!
Look down, look down, you'll always be a slave! Look down, look down, you're standing in your grave!
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Calisson wrote:the Black Ark named Druchii.net (the oldest scribes will tell you that this name takes its origins in the magic Net used to bring in new slaves all throughout the year).
!lol!

Good stuff - new setup looks really great and looks like there are some very nice features with easy access (e.g. view unread posts and view your posts - they may have been there before, but if they were then I never previously noticed them!)
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Noble korhedron
Empire General

Post by Noble korhedron »

W.O.O.T!! I was going to ask for the 'Quick Reply' box back - then I spotted the shortcut button right in front of me. :oops: :lol: I'd really like to see the return of the portal page, I would use several of the features on it most days I came to the site, especially the 'new posts' function, and for seeing who's online. :)

I also had to :lol: at the way Callison talks about the move, about 5-10 posts ago.
Regards,

NK.

http://ulthuan.net/forum
http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/index.php
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php
http://www.bartertown.com/trading/index.php

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Noble korhedron wrote:W.O.O.T!! I was going to ask for the 'Quick Reply' box back - then I spotted the shortcut button right in front of me. :oops: :lol: I'd really like to see the return of the portal page, I would use several of the features on it most days I came to the site, especially the 'new posts' function, and for seeing who's online. :)

The new posts function is still available, just at the top right of the forum.

And now you can all see my logos \o\.

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Rork wrote:now you can all see my logos \o\.
Nice ones. Like.
Are the previous ones lost?
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

They won't fit the new style, but no information is "lost". Worst case, it's in one of the backups. In this case, they are still on the server but not used.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Nightcall
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Nightcall »

I like the shiny new look. Still very fitting with the theme of Dark Elves, but not as moody as the old forum. Dare I say it... cheerful?

Clearly lots of hard work has taken place behind the scenes to bring us to this point. Many thanks, it's appreciated.
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Post by Tarbo »

Holy forum migration, Batman!

So there I was, thinking, it's been a while since I hopped onto Druchii.net. And then I see this. Suh-weet!

Thanks for all your effort, guys. Feels smooth and slick.
Noble korhedron
Empire General

Post by Noble korhedron »

@Tarbo: Diggin' your avatar dude - but keep him away from me unless he wants to get staked!! :-P
Mennorach
Beastmaster
Location: on the wrong side of a town in the middle of Finland

Post by Mennorach »

Been away for a while and I have to say, this new site looks very good indeed.
Thank you all for your effort, you brought an old user back to the forum.
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Good to have you back amongst us, Mennorach.

+++ Team Mulligans +++
ExquisiteMonkey
Slave on the Altar

Post by ExquisiteMonkey »

I'm a long time lurker and reader, but I just had to create an account to post my appreciation of the new site, and the efforts gone into setting it up - looks fantastic.