Your favorite special character

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Which one of these special characters do you prefer?

Malekith
10%
Morathi
25%
Malus
25%
Shadowblade
37%
Rakarth
3%

Total votes: 100

Angel of algebra
Assassin

Post by Angel of algebra »

to the letter of the rules, I would say yes, technically, but it is meant to be a one-use-only item, otherwise it would just say he drinks it before the fight and gets +3S for the whole battle

AoAlgebra :lol:
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

The one I've used the most is Morathi. I love her. Especially the Slaaneshi version. She is the goddess of my world.

Slerac Fellblade wrote:Now heres my one question about Shadowblade. His potion of strength it does not say One use only so does that mean he could drink it every turn and be str 7? I just want to make sure because if thats true shadowblade is truly the best.

Only one sip of the heavenly juice.

Nagathi
The Sacred Sentinel
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Morathi for me - gamewise that is. As Nag said, she owns in a Cult list.

If we are talking fluff, then im a big fan of all the Darkblade stuff.
The Black Sun Weekly - an AoS Podcast

Follow me on Twitter; @the_black_sun
Svart
Highborn

Post by Svart »

Morathi and Shadowblade are both great special characters. Voted for Shadowblade nevertheless. His rules and fluff are really mean. But he can turn out to be rather useless against several types of armies... :(
...Evil will never creep into an empty head...
Slerac fellblade
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Slerac fellblade »

To bad shadowblade only gets one sip. They really should put a one use only above it. Since it is one use only gotta fall back on Malus.
Ian: We are trying to help as many starving children as possible
Me: Wait a day and there will be less of them
Eldacar
Loremaster

Post by Eldacar »

Cenyu, it's a convenient way to eliminate rivals. Kill them, then blame the common foe. It avoids all the problems of explaining things later on.

But he can turn out to be rather useless against several types of armies...

I've found that he works quite well against most opponents apart from the "Large Target" creature ones, since then, he can't hit them with his Killing Blow to quickly eliminate them.
"I live in hope and fear. Hope that once more the Lords of Caledor will ride on the backs of Dragons. Fear that if we do, when we do, it will be our last ride." ~Imrik, High Prince

Initiative Leader - Editors
Slerac fellblade
Malekith's Best Friend

I think this may turn out to be another Malekith story whose right HE or DE?. Anyway I think I have said all that is needed for me to say. This is all a matter of personal opinion of course. Some want the Uber Assasin, Some want the great knight, others want the almighty spellcaster. Now Malekith falls under noble knight and mighty spellcaster. So some want the combo character. It's all a matter of personal choice. Lists can be made around each one and all can be devestating.
Khaelakh
Executioner

Post by Khaelakh »

MALUS! MALUS!! MALUS!!! eeeek?!! *sinks to the floor with a knife in his back*
"He drew Khaine's burning blade and showed it to the milling herd. Then he showed them what it could do."

"Finally! A man worth killing."
One-eye
Beastmaster

Post by One-eye »

In fluff terms i like shadowblade because he has such an aura of mystery. In game terms still shadowblade cause he has kickass rules. I am going to buy him soon. - Lord K
He is both tactically minded and a savage fighter. He is feared throughout the Drakwald and rightly so, known by many names he is best known as One-Eye.

http://www.marksketch.blogspot.com - Check out my website today!
Slerac fellblade
Malekith's Best Friend

I don't Know fluffwise Malus is the man he has comic books and they are now being turned into novels.
Masterofdarkness
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Masterofdarkness »

malus all the way
Always look for the knife from the shadows.

Wait a minute, how do you hide a +2 flaming longsword in the shadows?
Slerac fellblade
Malekith's Best Friend

Masterofdarkness I like your thinking. Direct and to the point. But yea let malus go all deamon and have him fight Malekith in the game and I believe the Darkblade would pwn3d our most favorite druchii king.
Evilzealot
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Evilzealot »

I dont think special charactwers are justifiable in friendly games. They always provide a flashback to Hero-Hammer, more so than the way Vampire Lords, Chaos Generals, and Annointeds currently do. Certain special characters are really cool, and would be fun to play against, such as Orion, Morathi, the Savage-Orc shaman, (the expensive, targetable characters that die to units). Just say no to characters that win the game for you by completely altering your arm, like Morghur, and Drycha.
Mc nuggets
Warrior

Post by Mc nuggets »

I voted for Malus because of the fluff, I mean he killed his own dad for crying out loud, and because when he goes asleep he can tear apart whole units.

P.S. I'm new so, hi!!
I'm looking for a woman who likes long walks,
and doesn't mind bringing me chips back from them
Slerac fellblade
Malekith's Best Friend

I think Special charactrers were made for friendly games. Your never going to use them in tournaments if you want comp points. Sometimes it's fun to play with a dark elf with toughness 4 or 5 whatever it is Malus gets as a bonus. Or an Assasin thats uber amazing. Or a caster that can pick her spells and has multiple attacks. It's fun times.
Lister the tormentor
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Lister the tormentor »

I voted Shadowblade coz he is the best there but in all honesty I think Hellebron is the best. S10 + Magic Resistance 2 + Manticore. Makes for a serious massacre :twisted:
I came, I saw, I Enslaved.
Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

This may end up as a tangent..

You know, as cool as Shadowblade is... he was neutered in 6th ed. Back when the Heart of Woe caused a S10 hit causing D3W and blew up using the 5" template.. *sigh*

And as much as I would like to beat monsters in combat (which you see so often) and gain control of them, Rakarth isn't so hot.. but sorta cheap..

As neat as a Dark Elf that can turn into a Daemon Prince is.. Malus just doesn't cut it for me

.. and as much as I'd like to field Malekith he is nearly 1,000 points (half my roster)! :shock:

Eh, Hellebron is too risky. Though she can pound some serious ass.. too prone to baiting. Flying frenzied large targets? No thanks. See Bloodthirster, or Daemon Prince/Exalted Daemon. At least they can hold out.

I love Morathi. My ... gosh. I actually read her stats, and she's good. She's REALLY good! She's a level four, can pick exactly what spells she wants,(both Slaanesh AND Dark combined in CoS!) adds 2 to her casting roll has a 3+ ward save in addition to 1,001 Dark blessings, resists magic, and if in a pinch jumps into combat w/S6 KB attacks.

Sorry, she gets my vote. Borderlined CHEESE! :D

Not included in the votes;
Kouran is pretty cool, especially for scenarios! :)
Tullaris is ok, his KB rocks though.
I personally miss Urian Poisonblade. Just a personal favorite addition in the old book. ;)

Fr0
Slerac fellblade
Malekith's Best Friend

I am going to sound like such a newb but who is Urien Poisonblade?

yes kids point and laugh at the newb. :lol:
Drizz't
Highborn

Post by Drizz't »

anyone ever seen the rules for the "Everqueen" ? you guys think that Morathi is bad? just take a look at the Everqueen
Winning isnt everything.
Its the only thing.
Slerac fellblade
Malekith's Best Friend

I've seen her rules she is good. But she requires you to use those stupid spearwenches or whatever they are called. They are way too expensive for spear elves. Even if they have stubborn or unbreakable or whatever it is. They are only good at sucking(keep your minds out of the gutter) and dying.
Angel of algebra
Assassin

Post by Angel of algebra »

you don't HAVE to take them, she is just the only character that can (and must if both are present) join them. Also, doesn't she know 13 spells? sounds pretty good to me...

AoAlgebra :lol:
Slerac fellblade
Malekith's Best Friend

Knows 13 spells will most likely only cast two a round and doesn't she only get light or life or something like that. Like I don't think she can cast from the good lores.
Pmpn8ez
Evil Vampire Lord Fluffy

Post by Pmpn8ez »

...she only get light or life...
I don't think she can cast from the good lores.

The thing about these two statements is they're paradoxical. Life is the best common lore in the game as of right now, one of the few which is actually much better than a handful of unique lores. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure that, as a High Elf, she would have access to High magic. High magic is comparable to Dark in its damage potential; such a combination is hardly something that any army can afford to ignore given the amount of dice/ spells she can throw out per turn. She still doesn't justify her cost (at least, I don't think she does but that's just a singular opinion), but she's definetely not a pushover.
"We are the most civilized race in the world. We have more exquisite ways to kill than any other." -Lord Vraneth the Cruel, master of Har Ganeth

«The wonder has a name: pmpn8ez.»
Eldacar
Loremaster

Post by Eldacar »

*As Eldacar is on vacation, he really shouldn't be posting, but should instead be getting ready to face the jet lag he will be suffering from after flying from Brisbane to Sydney and then to Hong Kong, before progressing on to London (and he is currently in Hong Kong at this point in time). However, he simply couldn't resist adding in a comment.*

Alarielle is a level four High Mage. As such, she knows all the High Magic spells, and has the +1 to Dispel as well as all the spells for the Lore of Life. In essence, if she has enough PD backing her up (and because of this, she is similar to Teclis in that her abilities make her a good candidate for use as the principal caster in a Seer Council), she can cast quite a few of her spells, and can also maintain two Flames of the Phoenix spells at the same time if she chooses (cast one through her staff as a Power Level 5 Bound Spell and cast the other one normally). And she has things like her 4+ Ward and the Regeneration that she can use on herself or other High Elf Characters near her, among other benefits.

As to how much she costs, it is debatable as to whether or not she is worth it, but like pmpn8ez said, she isn't weak by any stretch of the imagination. I'd class her as Morathi's antithesis.

I am going to sound like such a newb but who is Urien Poisonblade?

He was supposedly the greatest living warrior in the world. Nothing had ever survived in a battle against him. He cut down two highly skilled Asur warriors in duels at Finuval Plains as well. Of course, his assertion that he was the "greatest living warrior" was disproven when he came up against Tyrion.
"I live in hope and fear. Hope that once more the Lords of Caledor will ride on the backs of Dragons. Fear that if we do, when we do, it will be our last ride." ~Imrik, High Prince

Initiative Leader - Editors
Drizz't
Highborn

Post by Drizz't »

note that Alarielle is also not totally undefensible in combat, she always strikes first even against impact hits, and all she needs to do is hit, because, any model hit by her cannot attack that round, also, noting that she has an immediate effect to any chaos or chaos related model, they take i belive D6 str 5 hits that count as magical attacks, (i think i just heard Druchii the Annointed run out the door). Oh also about her staff, it gives her the ability to cast any of her spells as a bound item as a power leve equal to its casting cost, heh.
Winning isnt everything.
Its the only thing.