Are shades and harpies really a must in a druchii army?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Frankthetank
Beastmaster

Post by Frankthetank »

I have 6 harpies and 10 shades but have not worked them in to my list yet.
Everyone here seem to use them. Are they worth it can you win with out them ?
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

Yes, shades and harpies are very useful in an army. They are the best units we have for warmachine/mage hunting. they also are decent harassers, and are quite fast. Another thing they do is free up the DRs to get flank charges. So to answer your question, yes you can win without them, but it is easier to win with them.

PS: There are thousands of topics on this forum and probably at least a good 100 on the use of harpies and shades. If you use the search function, you will be able to find these easily, and not post 8 threads a day about each aspect of your army.
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Darkspear
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Darkspear »

@Loki: I think we should go easy on frankthetank as i can tell that he is an excited new player who simply wants to get things right. We can't deny that the search function is a little overwhelming and in addition some stuff there may be outdated given new gaming developments and trends.

@frankthetank: shades and harpies are basically warmachine hunters with the latter excelling in the rile at the expense of leadership. the secondary purposes of these units include march blocking and screening. If you are sharp, you will notice that these functions can also be achieved by darkriders. however the horsemen cannot achieve those aims as effectively(there r many many reasons for it). What i feel is that try to get either harpies(i recommend) or shades or both as long as you can afford the special slots(which i seriously believe you could). only use darkriders to achieve those aims when you cannot afford those slots. Note: I did not meant that you do not use dark riders at all. i simply meant you should get darkriders for other purposes and not just for warmachine hunting.
In my land, everyone calls me the darkspear. The most famous spearmen commander of all.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

I think harpies are a must. I'm not such a fan of shades -- they simply cannot compete with the mobility of harpies, yet are more expensive.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Fa'loui
Beastmaster

Post by Fa'loui »

I am a huge fan of shades, if they come as core which they do in COS, but as a special slot, i think they would not be my first pick

the harpies are an ecellent unit, M20 is very handy, notice that fliers will probably be the only skirmishers in 7th that will be able to marchblock but wont be marchblocked themself, so i think that they will be even better in 7th,
in 6th they are still better then shades at warmachinehunting and magehunting, but lack a bit in the leadership, so you should protect them from magic and shooting ( panictests are not good with harpies)
(\__/)
(O.O)
(> <)--> This is Runny, the threelegged devil. Copy Runny into your signature to help him conquer Bunny and save the world from worlddommination
^^^
Limenix
Assassin

Post by Limenix »

The answer is definetely a YES.
Depending on your opponent both units can give you a great advantage.
Harpies are more common , because it's our only unit capable of quickly taking out enemy artilery.It's a shame they are 0-1.
Shades do better for march blocking. My regular Bret opponent hates them!
The Druchii way of the Warrior:

When you must RUN ..... FIGHT!!!
When you must FIGHT .... WOUND!!!
When you must WOUND .... CRIPPLE!!!
When you must CRIPPLE .... KILL!!!
Joey_boy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Joey_boy »

Harpies > Every other druchii unit.

'nuff said ;)

/Johan R
You don´t snuggle with Max Power, you just strap on and feel the G´s!

Swedish ranking page and forum
Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

I don't think they are mandatory, though I have a hard time not including one of them if not both.. in most cases I take both when I have the points.

Fr0
Banshee
Highborn
Location: I say go, she say yes, Dim the light, you can guess the rest!

Post by Banshee »

Don't forget the shades' defensive abilities in negating scout placement spots (like woods) to your enemy if you get to deploy your scouts first. This might be a real advantage if you play against armies with lots of scouting units (like Woodelves, for example).
Damnation wrote:And remember, every time you use excessive punctuation, a random brain lobe deactivates itself.
Cenyu wrote:Warhammer: Age of Reckoning: Introducing BOB ROSS as Malekith's new personal paint artist!
Dark general
Trainee Warrior

Post by Dark general »

ive actually never played with harpies nor shades and i win without them :)
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!
Child of bodom
Trainee Warrior

Post by Child of bodom »

I at least need harpies to defeat my friend's bret's.
I have never had any use for Shades though.
Lucifer son of the mourning!
I'm gonna chase you out of earth! Max Romeo
Ant
Lord of the Venom Sword

Post by Ant »

I think one or the other of these units really are a must. Harpies are definitely better (talking 7th, I think shades have the upper hand in 6th). They are both extremely useful in a number of ways, and are half the points of a DR unit that is worse at doing the jobs you want the skirmishers for.

if you have enough special choices I wouldn't hesitate in taking both.
Ash010110 wrote: I completely agree with Ant (Reynolds, I presume?).

(Please note, I am NOT Anthony Reynolds)
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

Joey_Boy wrote:Harpies > Every other druchii unit.

'nuff said ;)

/Johan R

:lol:.

But your right. 'Nuff said.

Get rid of Dark Riders from our list and give us Core Harpies :D.
Pleased to be back
Joey_boy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Joey_boy »

mm, I'd settle for removing the 0-1 tag on them. 4 Units of Harpies would rock! Back them up with 2 WarHydras and some randome core stuff :P
You don´t snuggle with Max Power, you just strap on and feel the G´s!

Swedish ranking page and forum
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

Aye but then the difference between me and you is stupidity. I like it and you don't, so I would rather have them as Core :D
Pleased to be back
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Keep it on topic, people. There's only so much off topic-ness before threads get locked.

Very few units are actually a "must" despite what people say. Most armies can manage without units like harpies or dark riders, it just means you have to play differently, and some things will be much easier with those units in your army.

Playing without such units can be fun though - it actually makes you think more and you have to use some units in an unusual fashion. It ultimately depends on how brave you are feeling.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Prince of arnheim
Renegade Reaver

Post by Prince of arnheim »

Any Dark Elf army should have alteast 3 units of HARASSERS

Dark Riders, Shades, Harpies.

Every army should have atleast 2 units of Dark Riders.

Then a unit of either Shades or Harpies is good enough.

I use all 3!! Speed is our friend!!!

Use Shades to get the jump on your opponent and screw up his plan. Just be careful in 7th Edition as if they are charged they will be overrun if pursued. This might take your opponent into your battle line at an early point.

Harpies are great for screening your troops. Just make sure to be careful as if the HP are shot an panicked this can cause panic in your battle line. Harpies are alos very good at confsuing your opponent, they never know where you are going to fly them.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

I agree with PoA's general idea -- you want to include a certain number of harrassing units in an army.

I tend to use more than 3 harrassing units in a 2000 point+ army -- I use 4 or 5. But the general idea is sound.

In that role, I think both harpies and dark riders are better than shades. I only use shades: (1) when I am out of dark rider and harpy models; or (2) in a tournament with compositon scoring that penalizes too many units of cavalry and/or flyers.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Deathwish
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Deathwish »

I would get harpies first, then shades with an assasin if you have any more slots
MAY THE EVIL BE WITH YOU