The Gilded Reavers Army Blog

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Sirist
Black Guard

Post by Sirist »

January 6th, 2007
Tomorrow I plan to do a great deal of revisions to this thread, such as adding pictures of the actual army and conversions in progress, as well as finally move the story over to Druchii.net. But on the eve of that update, I'd like to talk about how the army got to where it is.

Before I got back into Warhammer, Dizaun and Disuan had very nerdy origins. 'Pirates of the Carribean: Curse of the Black Pearl' had just come out, and some of my friends wanted to do a roleplay via AIM based on it. So I had a number of characters: Jack Sparrow was me, but also Dizaun, Disuan, and Aingeal. Dizaun had stolen the Black Pearl with the aid of the French (hence Dizaun's ridiculous accent), and Disuan with her first-mage, Aingeal, were helping Jack and his merry band of friends (played by my friends) to get it back.

It was hilarious, regardless of what you might think. Keith Richards even made an appearance. There were sea-nymphs, angry Cubans, and men on fire. I just got tired of carrying the plot... and I think it died.

Anyways, Dizaun and Disuan grew more and more characterful, and more and more different. Dizaun became more psycopathic, was disfigured by a shallow person's shallow character, and even had a love affair with a Fallen Angel in a seperate roleplay. Disuan, on the other hand, fought zombies, fell in love, and was briefly bisexual. However, they inevitably had to stop their random, seemingly idiotic growth spurts.

Enter Warhammer.

My friend, whom was villianized by the Council of Light in the ISC, and myself started Warhammer in our senior year of high school. He wanted to start Vampire Counts, but I told him if he did, I would disown him for being an emo gothtard. So instead he started Tomb Kings. I, on the other hand, picked up Dark Elves, because the models and look of the army was right up my style. S&M Elves ftw!

Originally, I wanted to make an army that had nothing but the Elves themselves in it. I tried everything in that first year that I thought could win. Cavalry Heavy. Balanced. Magic Heavy. I could NOT win. It seemed that Dark Elves and I were doomed. But I didn't give up. Far from it. I kept buying crap over and over.

My generals were numerous. I had a highborn I had modeled after myself; one modeled after an Angel character I had with wings and what-not; my magic-heavy list was led by the five members of the J-Rock band 'Malice Mizer' (whom were, are, and always will be my favorite band).

It was in that doubles tournament -- not all that long ago, really -- that I figured out what the problem was. I had no idea what I was doing. None. I just put my units on the board, and hoped that they would do what I wanted them to. I didn't think in the long-term. I had to learn to think tactically. How to think like a sly, cutthroat, decieving, evil, wicked, and undeniably sexy person. I had to think like Dizaun Cadsane. And therefore, Dizaun made perfect sense to be my general.

Not long after this, I began running campaigns for GW, and I saw how other people planned ahead and employed their own know-how. I watched and learned. I joined this website, and again, I read and learned. I read Sun-Tzu, Minamoto Yoritomo, and Yamamoto Tsunetomo and their books on warfare and how one should live their life. All of it slowly made sense. I even *GASP* began to watch football, something I had always scorned, unless I was going to the high school games to be with friends. Again, all of it made sense.

And I began to win.

Dizaun also evolved. He became more intelligent. More tactical. More subtle. More conniving. He wriggled out of his cocoon and became a gigantic red, gold, and black butterfly.

And, of course, he began to win, too. Enter the Intersite Campaign, and the rest is history.
Sirist
Black Guard

Post by Sirist »

January 8th
Well cripes. I can't figure out how to make my camera focus on my mini without blurring all up. And then I thought I found a way to make it work, but in order to do it, I need to get the mini away from a wall to keep the flash from ricocheting back. So it's going to be a while whilst I mess with my camera.
Sirist
Black Guard

Post by Sirist »

January 11th
Well, still trying to figure out this damn camera. Never had such trouble with a piece of electronics that I absolutely know should work. Again, pictures are still delayed.

I've been painting like crazy. Almost have the Rat Ogres done. Every ship has its rats -- mine are just massive and capable of eating the crew. Still waiting for the bitz order that will let me finish the Deep Chariots. I've found this brand of solid Water Effects gel that I can sculpt onto the base. Still working on primering the Sailors, and debating on whether I need to strip the paint from the Corsairs all together or can leave it as is and paint over what's there. I've also decided to paint the Boarding Party seperately from their various accessories: guns, rats, knives, feathers, chains, powder kegs, balls and chains, etc. This army is finally shaping up, and I'm very proud of it.

And the last order of the day: I'm coming close to beginning the 'big move' of the TAF backstory from the ISC page to Druchii.net. I expect it to be something miraculous if I should pull it all off.

Also, I've found no one wants to play you if you never lose.

Edit: I also just updated the list, as well as conversion progress. I'd like to note that if I ever took this list to a tournament, both DoW regiments would be dropped for two "Kraken" (Hydras) for 5pts less in total.
Sirist
Black Guard

Post by Sirist »

Tada! Camera now works -- sort of, the flash is killing me -- so there are now pictures up! :D
Xerasi
Highborn

Post by Xerasi »

Nice to see some pictures Sirist. First of I'd like to say that I find your conversions work well, somethings are better than others, but thats always the case...

On the painting part you said it your self, so I'll not quote it or push around in it, but I'd recommend you spending a bit more time painting the models. Personally I hate to paint, but found out that when I actually took the time to do a bit more shading and highlighting, through washes, drybrushing and what not, it realy gave a lot better looking models. I'd also suggest that you look into dipping.

Some frown upon it, but it basicly gives you greatlooking models by only using a very little time. I've never done it myself.

A result could be from this: http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/2269/sta703133rb.jpg
to this http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/5457/sta703211au.jpg

and here is a link to a dipping guide http://armypainter.fanatic.dk/ (despite its danish address it is in english along with several other languages.

You can try it out if you like, just a single testmodel that you wouldn't use. If you do, good luck with it.

Xerasi
DoW 2/2.25k W-L-D: 22 - 4 - 3
Sirist
Black Guard

Post by Sirist »

Xerasi wrote:Nice to see some pictures Sirist. First of I'd like to say that I find your conversions work well, somethings are better than others, but thats always the case...

On the painting part you said it your self, so I'll not quote it or push around in it, but I'd recommend you spending a bit more time painting the models. Personally I hate to paint, but found out that when I actually took the time to do a bit more shading and highlighting, through washes, drybrushing and what not, it realy gave a lot better looking models. I'd also suggest that you look into dipping.

Some frown upon it, but it basicly gives you greatlooking models by only using a very little time. I've never done it myself.

A result could be from this: http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/2269/sta703133rb.jpg
to this http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/5457/sta703211au.jpg

and here is a link to a dipping guide http://armypainter.fanatic.dk/ (despite its danish address it is in english along with several other languages.

You can try it out if you like, just a single testmodel that you wouldn't use. If you do, good luck with it.

Xerasi

I've been hesitant on dipping models. I don't think it would give me the effect I want.

But yes, I really blame my inability to finish anything for the status of my minis. I know I can paint well -- I just get side-tracked.

As for the conversion work, I'm crossing my fingers that GW releases a good-looking Elf Sorceress that I could convert into a much better Dizaun. That model is really just a place-holder. ._.; We'll see.

Thanks for the comments!
Sirist
Black Guard

Post by Sirist »

January 22th
Haha! Much has been happening! Much and more!

First of all, the Hour of the Wolf Campaign on Asur.org is about to kick off. All self-respecting Druchii should join. Otherwise, you doom the future to being dominated by those cowardly Asur, and quite possibly risk the taking of Ulthuan from us!

Also, if you don't join, I'll eat your face.

Getting closer to revamping 'Sea of Shadows' for its big unveil here at D.net. Soon, my children. But I admit, HotW has been taking up a lot of my time recently. I have no idea how I'm going to balance it off between school, Irish, music, and the movie I'm producing. Not to mention writing. But I'll figure it all out.

Also! Tomorrow, I will be at the Seattle Battle Bunker around 6 PM, looking for a fight! My Gilded Reavers will be present, and ready to take all comers. And if I have to fight Watherspoon's Goblin Horde again... well, I'll probably win, but still! It would be too easy. Come, and know me better, man!
Sirist
Black Guard

Post by Sirist »

February 9th
Wow, has it really been this long?

The HotW has been sucking up a lot of my time, not to mention the Ireland program, but I'm still getting some work done on the Reavers. Now, when I say this, I truly do mean it: I had hoped to wait until chapter 8 was done, but if I don't finish it before the end of tonight, I'll post the newly extended 'SoS' in the fluff section of D.net. Honest to GOD!

Also, I've finally got some images of the Deep Chariots. Unpainted, but only because I haven't figured out how to base them yet.
Sirist
Black Guard

Post by Sirist »

February 10th
Well, it's here! The big move has taken place! You can find the 'Sea of Shadows' story about The Gilded Reavers, TAF, and the Cadsanes at the link on the first page, or by browsing through the History of the Druchii forum.

Also, a new preface is on the beginning post; one that's less abrassive.

Anyways, it's early morning, and doing all that formatting hurt my eyes. I go sleep now.
Sirist
Black Guard

Post by Sirist »

February 14th
Well, as you can see, I'm pushing back the release date for the next chapter. I pulled an all-nighter two days past and put out background for Dizaun's grandmum, Jesamine Cadsane, for the HotW campaign. It's in the Asur.org HotW public forum.

Right now my dilemna is that I have a project due tomorrow that was suddenly sprung on me about the same time that story on Jesamine came out. Expect another day's worth of delays, but hopefully tomorrow I'll get it out.

As for the Reavers, I'm again reassessing the list. I do not like those 8 Ogre Bulls: there is no point in ranking them. So I need to figure out what I'm going to spend about 280pts on. Also, I'm up to my elbows in GreenStuff as I work on my Deep Chariots and a Kraken that might get put back into the list. I've also begun to base some of the models I've finished. It's actually a lot more time-consuming than I thought...
Sirist
Black Guard

Post by Sirist »

March 9th, 2007
Still trying to figure out what I'm spending 280 pts on in the list if I take out those Bulls (and I will). I might post a 'test-list' somewhere soon. I'm really tempted to either take another unit of Leadbelchers and use the extra ~100pts to fill out my Special slots.

Also, I've begun to base my army. Only the Sailors and Leadbelchers for now, but so far, so good. They look much better already.

HotW is owning me hard-core. :cry:
Fingol darkwater
Witch King's Envoy

Post by Fingol darkwater »

HotW is owning me hard-core. :cry:

Sure, but you're a big bad Drachau over there now. Makes it all worthwhile right ;)
Druchii Discussion and History mod

Behind every mask, is a man
who can't live in his own skin.
He lives by the flask.
He bathes in his past
and dies of his own sins
Sirist
Black Guard

Post by Sirist »

May 3rd, 2007

Holy fack. How're you all? Sorry it's been so long, but finally, yes, finally, HotW has ended, and while I'll still have to write a few more chapters worth of fluff for the Jesamine Cadsane bit, but beyond that, I'm done.

And boy is it boring.

Well, as usual, I'm overthinking my poor list. Still trying to figure out how I'm going to get it all converted and painted by the time Nemesis Crown pops into my life.

Also, because I can take a break from things, I'm pumping out yet another chapter of SoS as I type this (yes, on two seperate keyboards :P). Fingol, if you read this, I just want to let you know: I totally do not mean to boggart your character. It's just fascinating to me how the whole IC character drama between Fingol, Furion, and Dizaun turns out. And for all my other former captains in the ISC, do not worry. I am totally mentioning you in more than a cameo role. Anyways, time for me to stop multi-tasking and get back to "bidness"!
Sirist
Black Guard

Post by Sirist »

May 10th 2007

Huzzah! It's been three friggin' months, but it's out! The next chapter of SoS is here, for you all to enjoy! I hope you like!

So that of course means I now have to alternate over to HoT before I get so overly absorbed in SoS again that I freak out. Anywho, when I get back from Ireland, I'll post more here that has more direct reprecussions on my army, its composition, and how it's coming along!
Sirist
Black Guard

Post by Sirist »

May 26th

Heyas. Just got back from Ireland yesterday, and saw the latest and last PotC movie. Hurrays!

Down to business. You'll notice the list has changed yet again. I'm moving towards a more balanced approach while still keeping the models interesting and fluffy. I think it'll be better for the long run, especially considering I want to win during the Nemesis Crown campaign.

Also, thanks to Silas's advice in the chat, I'm going to be working heavily on my Chariots and Kraken. I'll hold off on painting for a bit and concentrate on making sure everything is just plain put together. I'm planning on inking my models when I get around to them again, but for now, green-stuff is the hot commodity for me as I finish the beasties.

Keep your eyes peeled for new pictures!
Sirist
Black Guard

Post by Sirist »

June 1st

Alright, well, sorry in advance, but the chapter of SoS is going to be delayed by about a week. I have a lot to do to wrap up my class work, and I'm writing something for the guys at Asrai.org for the NC campaign which has an actual deadline, so for now, I'm just going to pick at the chapter when I get a spare moment.

As for the list, I'm working on putting together the X-bow wielding Sailors. I'll post a picture of the assembled units when I get a chance. Again, this big paper is taking precedence.

Sorry! :cry:
Sirist
Black Guard

Post by Sirist »

June 12

A great victory was won for Dizaun Cadsane this day! The Gilded Reavers are triumphant! And yes, it involved me changing my list yet again...

So here's the skinny. If you don't know what my "counts as" names are, refer to the main list in the first post.

My list - 1197 pts

Dizaun Cadsane - Level 2 Sorceress w/Darkstar Cloak (General)
Disuan Cadsane - Level 2 Sorceress w/Wand of Kharaidon
10 Sailors w/Repeater Crossbows, Musician X2
8 Pirates w/Aingeal
9 Harpies
Deep Chariot w/Spears X2
Repeater Bolt Thrower X2

His list - 1200ish (I don't know exactly what all he had on each unit, but I think he was over)

Night Goblin Big Boss w/Brimstone Bauble (General)
Night Goblin Shaman w/Level 2
28 Night Goblins w/Full Command, 1 Fanatic X3
10 Spider Riders w/Bows, Full Command X2
Spear Chucka X4
Giant

For my spells, I chose Lore of Death -- awesome on bad Ld mob armies -- for both Dizaun and Disuan. Dizaun rolled Dark Hand of Death and Steal Soul, while Disuan rolled out Wind of Death and Doom and Darkness! He rolled Gork'll Fix It and Gaze of Gork.

The table was set up with a long hill (the new GW modular one) on one side, the short hill directly across from it on the other board edge, a pair of forests between the two creating a shooting gallery towards one end of the table, and a set of arcane ruins on the other. He won the roll for choosing sides, and picked that big, long hill for his Spear Chuckas.

Here is a picture for a better idea (note: NOT TO SCALE! Pardon my lack of proficiency with Paint)
Note: ERROR: Dizaun and Disuan's locations are swapped! Please forgive me!
Key:
Dark Green = Forest
Brown = Hill
Grey = Ruins
Light Green = Him
Dark Red = Me
Sp = Spear Chuckas
G = Giant
Deep = Deep Chariot
RBT = Reaper Bolt Thrower

Turn 1
I rolled for first turn. My first action was to take Stupidity, which I passed with flying colors each and every time. I won't mention it again -- just know I never failed. After I got compulsory moves out of the way, I moved nearly everything forward. He was out of range of my bow-fire, so I wheeled Disuan's Sailors to get a good lane of fire to his Gobbos and Spiders. Dizaun's unit creeped forward, and Aingeal's Pirates got closer to the Giant -- unfortunately setting off the Fanatic hidden in the nearest block of Gobbos. It moved forward an impressive 2". Woo. The Harpies launched forward, clamouring for Goblin flesh to tear. Both Chariots sidled up next to the woods, trying to limit the amount of Chuckas that could shoot at them. Moving to magic, I got off every spell I launched at him. Dizaun's Dark Hand of Death claimed two Gobbos off one unit, while Disuan's Wind of Death knocked out a handful in the block nearest her. Doom and Darkness! surrounded the middle unit as Disuan proved she's just as powerful a Sorceress as her brother. My shooting phase was abysmal, taking out a pair of Spiders in the far left unit and just as many Gobbos in the far right. Things could have gone much better here, and I sort of crossed my fingers and prayed for the best.

My friend first rolled for his Fanatic, which plowed into his own unit, killing... one Gobbo before exploding against the hill. I was less than pleased. The Giant inched forward, putting himself close enough to the Pirates to cause Terror -- which they passed. The Spiders on the far left decided they were going to spend the entire game shooting at my Pirates, killing only one this time around. The other Spider unit crawled forward towards the middle of the board, sitting squarely in front of the middle unit of Gobbos. Beyond that, he stood still. His magic phase was worthless -- he never got anything off. His shooting phase was amazing: he didn't miss a single shot with his Chuckas. He killed the far right Chariot with two of them, while the other pair knocked off the crew of one of my RBTs. Things looked grim.

Turn 2
I began by moving my Harpies up into the top left corner -- I was going to overrun his line of Chuckas, and nothing was going to stop me. If I couldn't choke off those things, I'd lose this game. My Chariots stormed forward, and Disuan's unit took a tiny step forward again. My magic phase was again an amazing piece of work. Disuan's Wand and Wind of Death reduced the Spider unit sitting in front of the center block of Gobbos to two models, causing a Panic test. They failed, running straight through his center. I held my breath, seeing the potential for not only that middle block to run, but for it to then Panic the two Chuckas right behind it. This game was all but won now... until he rolled Snake Eyes on the Gobbos. I screamed. Truly screamed. I couldn't believe it. So I made up for it by throwing Doom and Darkness! on the unit nearest Disuan, and shot it full of arrows. My remaining Bolt Thrower took a shot at the center block, hoping I could try for another Panic test, and Dizaun's unit of Sailors launched its bolts at them, too, but failed to result in anything more than another fistful of casualties. The Pirates took out another Spider. I was done, and felt defeated.

The Spiders auto-fled through a Chucka, causing its crew to run off the board with them. The first thing he did after the dice gods had fun with him was backpeddle his Giant M.C. Hammer-style into my Harpies, causing a Terror test. They failed by one point and flew swiftly off the board. His units began to move forward as he realized I was forcing him to take too many Panic tests and too many casualties. I had no problem with this: the shorter I had to shoot, the more models I could kill. His Chuckas failed to do anything spectacular this time around as they aimed at my Bolt Thrower and remaining Chariot. His Spiders took out another Shade. With that, his turn was done and gone.

Turn 3
The Chariot inched forward again, getting ready to take on the far right block of Gobbos -- General or no! My magic phase again went without a hitch, as Disuan rolled twelve hits up with Wind of Death against his general's unit resulting in ten dead Gobbos, causing a Panic! test -- which he barely passed. Dizaun didn't do much in the way of magic, but got a few hits on the center block of Gobbos with Dark Hand of Death. Doom and Darkness! was still running strong, so I ignored it to pump more die into that amazing Wind. As a result, he then dispelled Doom and Darkness with the dispel dice he hadn't used, making me regret my decision. My Sailors picked out a few more Gobbos with the help of the RBT, which took out a crewman from one of the remaining Chuckas. Woo. My Pirates finally took the fight to the Spider riders, shooting down six of them and scaring the remaining two off the board edge.

He charged my Pirates with the far left unit of Gobbos, forcing Aingeal to flee through the woods. He then inched forward again, haulting his far right block 8" in front of my Chariot to launch a Fanatic -- which stopped a breath-taking inch short of popping it. The unit drew close enough that I could tell he was aiming to charge it if the Fanatic didn't kill it off for them. The Giant started to make a break for my Pirates, intent on mowing them down. The unit in the middle sat down across from Dizaun's Sailors and stared balefully at them. A round of Chucka fire took out my last RBT, leaving me worried about what I was going to eventually do with that damn Giant. And such was the turn.

Turn 4
My Pirates failed to rally, shuffling further out of the forest -- and closer still to the Giant. My Chariot back-peddled away from the Fanatic a magnificent 1 3/4". Dizaun's unit wheeled slightly towards the left, just in case the Giant tried to come at them from around the woods. My magic phase left another few Gobbos in the center dead, and another handful in the right unit well toasted. I didn't get Doom and Darkness! off, however, which meant my Chariot was in for a world of hurt. My shooting was less than marvelous, taking out some of the center again, still causing no Panic! tests, and Disuan's unit rid my Chariot of the Fanatic menace.

Now that there path was cleared, he declared a charge on the Chariot with his general's unit of Gobbos -- and promptly failed his Fear check, resulting in a failed charge. His Giant charged my Pirates, whom auto-fled out of range. One Pirate lost his life to a Chucka's spear bouncing through where his head once was. Beyond that, there was nothing else to do but keep moving the Gobbo unit on the far left a little further forward through the forest.

Turn 5
The Pirates rallied, and the Chariot charged the general's unit. My movement phase was otherwise unremarkable. Disuan got off Doom and Darkness! on the general's unit, giving me hope for an amazingly painful round of combat. Dizaun again took out a few Gobbos with Dark Hand of Death, but remained rather unremarkable. However, his unit combined with the recently resolved Pirates put an amazing 4 Wounds on the Giant. In combat, the Chariot got off two Impact Hits, killing only one measly Gobbo, one of the Corsair drivers taking out another. None of the Gobbos hit the construct, including the general, but they won Combat Resolution by two nonetheless, causing the Chariot to then run away, and putting the general's unit in perfect charge range for Disuan's unit at the beginning of his turn.

And charge he did. The Giant went after Dizaun's unit of Sailors, while the Gobbo general gunned for Disuan. Both siblings fought like true Druchii: they ran the hell away! One of Dizaun's Sailors was hit by a Chucka, and two of Disuan's, but nothing spectacular here, either.

Turn 6
Everyone rallied. Dizaun and Disuan turned around, revenge burning in their eyes. No one was in a position to assault, or to move, so it went straight to magic. Disuan cast Doom and Darkness! followed by Wind of Death on the general's unit, killing eight more Gobbos, and causing a Panic! test to the now below-half unit that wrote it off for good. Dizaun whittled away at the unit in front of him as well, his unit of Sailors scoring massive hits on the middle unit and Panicing it (and the Shaman with it) beyond retrieval. The Pirates aimed for a killing set of shots on the Giant, but could get not penetrate his tough muscular build.

With only the limping Giant, the three Chuckas, and the last unit of Gobbos still fighting off tree branches, my opponent conceded.

Final VP Tally
Gilded Reavers = 1089
Goblins = 494
Result = Massacre for the Gilded Reavers!

My Reflections: The Lore of Death is sick. It won this game. And I am not so pompous as not to give Dyvim Tvar credit where credit is due: his article on magic in the latest Druchii Herald helped considerably, with the Wand and Dark Hand of Death running interference for my opponent's Dispel Dice, while the hard choice between Wind of Death and Doom and Darkness! made his game hell. Disuan was certainly the MVP of this game, killing two units single-handedly and claiming a board quarter with her unit of Sailors. Dizaun, on the other hand, could've used the Tome of Furion instead of the Darkstar Cloak; I never used that extra PD, and would've rather had a better spell than the two I got on her. If I could pick an error my opponent made, it was -- and he agreed -- that sitting still and letting me shoot him for an extra turn was stupid. While the Harpies were a threat to his Chuckas, the entire line didn't need to cover them; as we found out, just the Giant works for that.

Hope you enjoyed that. I know I did. :D
Sirist
Black Guard

Post by Sirist »

June 19th

Yet another victory for the Gilded Reavers!

This battle was incredibly confusing, and I made a few errors I'm not at all proud of, but it was the first test of my full list (plus a unit of 5 CoK w/FC, WB and another DS on Voyage). I played against another Druchii player. His list looked something like this.

Sorceress, L2, Darkstar Cloak, Seal of Ghrond
Sorceress, L2, Rubric of Dark Dimensions
Sorceress, L2, Tome of Furion
Assassin w/Manbane, Rune of Khaine, extra hand weapon
19 Warriors w/shields, rxb, FC
8 Dark Riders w/rxb FC
23 Corsairs w/FC, Standard of Slaughter
12 Warriors w/shields, FC
19 Executioners w/FC, Banner of Murder
War Hydra

Not the best list, but still formidable, especially considering I had little to nothing to counter those DRs, especially with several very lackluster Magic and Shooting phases. He made a few errors with composition, including the use of a Sorceress and Assassin in the same unit (illegal), but beyond that, it was actually note-worthy list.

I rolled very poorly when it came to Hits and Wounds in those phases. In fact, if it wasn't for my Hydra and RBTs, I'd never have killed anything in the Shooting phase worth mentioning. My magic did next to nothing, thanks to one costly error, despite getting some very good spells. Stupidity was also a problem for one particular chariot, which was only moveable on Turn 6 -- after it had taken three Wounds from running into a forest. I just couldn't get my list to do what I wanted it to.

In the end, I walked away with around 500 VP over him, thanks again to my Hydra and RBTs. A Minor Victory, but a victory none-the-less.
Sirist
Black Guard

Post by Sirist »

July 6th

Mreeeeh... So tired...

I've not played much in the last few days. Just against a friend and my brother. Sorry for the lack of reports.

I'm also sorry for the lack of 'Sea of Shadows'! Gods. I just feel ready to die because of work. I'll try and get some done tomorrow.

Something interesting that I found out today: I helped inspire one of the US GW District Managers to get involved in the hobby. Apparently, she asked if she could watch one of my games, and so as I played, I helped explain to her what we were doing and why. I didn't realize at the time that she was really scouting out GW to see if she wanted to join the company. That makes two GW District Managers I have a connection to. :P I am a phenomenon, I tell you!

But yes. Working on 'Sea of Shadows'! I promise!
Aleraen
Cold One Knight

Post by Aleraen »

9/28/07

Hello, my fellow WHFB players. As you may know, Sirist has left us. One of the greatest Dark Elf generals -- certainly the greatest in the Seattle area -- is gone.

But this is not the end for the Gilded Reavers, and certainly not the end of Dizaun Cadsane. You see, the Gilded Reavers were a co-project between three people, and two of those people are still around. I've been passed the torch for the Reavers and Dizaun, so to speak, as I'm the only one of the two surviving members that actually plays, paints, and writes. And I plan to continue all three, as I was asked to by Sirist herself.

At the moment, the Gilded Reavers are in sad shape. Models are half-built, half-painted, or barely represented. The 'Sea of Shadows' story-line has stopped in the middle of its ninth chapter. Things look grim. And so, for the moment, I ask for patience as I try to get used to doing all the things Sirist used to do. I apologize in advance if you are offended by any of the things that I do; I could never do them exactly the way Sirist would.

Let me give you an idea as to where the Reavers and their story is at the moment.

Dizaun Cadsane: lacks a mounted model (Dark Pegasus); incomplete paint job
Disuan Cadsane: incomplete paint job
Haspera: incomplete paint job
Aingeal: incomplete paint job
Corsairs: incomplete paint job
Dark Riders: unassembled/old models with unrepresentative paint job
Shades: unfinished models (bitz); incomplete paint job
Cold One Chariots: unfinished models; unpainted
Harpies: incomplete paint job; one Harpy unassembled and unprimed
Reaper Bolt Throwers: incomplete paint job
Hydra: unassembled

As I am aiming at having the army ready for the upcoming October campaign weekend, I am currently working on finishing the assembly of the Dark Riders, the Chariots, the Dizaun model, and the Hydra. The Dark Riders are top priority.

Written Works:
Finale: post-Nemesis Crown fiction -- incomplete
Avatarii: post-Finale fiction -- incomplete
Sea of Shadows: Chapter IX: Shatter -- incomplete
House of Twilight -- writing chapter from scratch?

In this list, I'm going for what is the easiest to complete before I start worrying about the harder-to-tackle aspects. Therefore, Avatarii will be the first, then Finale, then Sea of Shadows will get a chapter, followed by House of Twilight -- I'll be alternating the same way Sirist did.

I want to assure you in all these matters that I will be doing my very best to complete them as Sirist would have wanted them done. I refuse to say that I won't throw my own ideas or writing conventions into the mix -- it's simply not possible to make such a statement. But I have piles of notes (okay, Word Documents) full of information, so I won't be straying ridiculously from her intended mark.

Again, please be patient. I'll have something up here soon.
Aleraen Gleamfollower
High-Consort of Army Wide Hatred
<Sirist> So you won't lose me. I'm still around. I'm just in you, and in everyone I've known.
Fingol darkwater
Witch King's Envoy

Post by Fingol darkwater »

Sounds good to me, I'd hate to see these projects left unfinished.
Druchii Discussion and History mod

Behind every mask, is a man
who can't live in his own skin.
He lives by the flask.
He bathes in his past
and dies of his own sins
Aleraen
Cold One Knight

Post by Aleraen »

10/04/07

Hello again. A few updates for you. First of all, I would like to say a little something about my own state with the Gilded Reavers, and a little about me. I had been searching for an army before I picked up where Sirist left off. I've always been drawn towards an army that lets its own convictions decide where it will go, and not an addictive desire (warpstone, blood, etc.) or some all-pervading value system (bring the End-times, extend the life of the world, etc.). And then, within that group, I have been trying to find an army that I can enjoy playing. And then, shortly after I had thought I had made my selection, the Reavers were thrust into my lap.

They felt like a burden, at first. I confessed to certain members of the community that I felt they would never fully be mine, and that I would always live in Sirist's shadow whilst I tried to complete the projects she had left unfinished. And largely, this is true, and will always be true. Yet I've found over the last few weeks, as I put the models together and paint them carefully; and as I write the story of a character I only partially helped create, I've grown attatched to them. They feel like a natural extension of my own imagination, as if the pieces all fit together just right in a place that was previously empty. I hate writing fan fiction, as it feels a bastardization of the art-form that is writing, but for once, it seems... good.

I've spent a lot of time drinking, smoking, and doing some things that are very not good for me -- I, like Sirist, have a heart condition I should try not to aggravate. But working on this army, and on this story has changed my tendency towards self-destruction. But enough about me. You all could care less. :P

As for the army, here's what's new.
- Dizaun now has a mounted model. It is, quite unimaginatively, Morathi, painted to look like Dizaun in his female form. I tried to finish the conversion that Sirist started, but it's not possible to do what she wanted with the pieces she was looking at. Until GW makes a better Dark Pegasus, I'm sort of stuck.
- The Dark Riders are coming along famously. I have three assembled. Twelve more to go. They really do look great.
- The Harpy that was missing its wings will have them shortly. My bitz order came in.
- The unassembled Deep Chariot is likewise going to be complete in a short time.
- My clippers -- which exploded and nearly cut my eye out -- will be replaced within the coming week, allowing me to finish the Kraken. If worse turns to worst, I'll substitute the Kraken for two more Reapers (a total of four) for the campaign weekend, and throw a better banner on the Corsairs and give Haspera some propper gear.

As for the story, here's the buzz.
- I am working on Finale: Nemesis Crown. It'll likely be a multiple part story, but the first part is Dizaun's escape from the Empire followed by a fever dream, so I'll be testing the limits of a hallucinating psycopath's brain shortly. The second part is something of a climax, followed by the third part, which will show the extent of Dizaun's impact on the WHFB world, and give the reader an idea as to where the hell Haspera has been for the last year.
- I decided to join the Animosity II campaign with the Reavers -- giving me more incentive to assemble and paint them, as well as write their background -- as a member of the Brethren of the Sea. I encourage you all to follow suit. ;)
- Continuing that last bullet, I've written an original piece of fiction to prelude Dizaun's involvment. To read it, go either to the History of the Druchii forum here on D.net, or to the Tales of the Desert forum on the Animosity II board.

That's all for now. Pictures pending.
Aleraen Gleamfollower
<Sirist> So you won't lose me. I'm still around. I'm just in you, and in everyone I've known.
Loran
Destroyer of Worlds
Location: Finland, the country people always think has penguins and polar bears walking in the streets...

Post by Loran »

Actually mate, this is unbelievable. Your loss is greater, while we only lost a friend (who many thought of as a sister), you've lost a sister. I am at a loss for words what to say to you. It's just amazing that you can do this. And a lot of people do care :) Pop in to #Albion occasionally if you want to chat

And take all the time you need.

- Loran
<+Hyarion> "Loran may cause addiction to mindless online games"

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Aleraen
Cold One Knight

Post by Aleraen »

10/05/07

As I said yesterday, pictures. And here they are.

The new look of the Corsairs. Compare to the other pictures of them on the original post. Great success.
The mounted model of Dizaun. I'm still working on the strange metal bikini they have on this model. I should have painted each part before glueing it together; I should know better, considering I played Brettonians. I'll replace this link with one of a better shot later.
The Dark Riders.
A picture of a large game played with the old models. Some of the models worthy of note are circled.
Aleraen Gleamfollower
Mostlyharmless
Noble

Post by Mostlyharmless »

I can see you've made some progress on the army as a whole. It would be nice to face you when I return to Seattle.