The Gilded Reavers Army Blog

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Sirist
Black Guard

The Gilded Reavers Army Blog

Post by Sirist »

Welcome to the Gilded Reavers Army Blog. The Gilded Reavers are veterans of the Lustria campaign (ranking third in their district), and of the Twilight War Intersite Campaign. Feared by every sea-going Man, Elf, and Dwarf, the Gilded Reavers spear-headed The Ashen Fleet, their leader Dizaun Cadsane elected as Lady-Admiral to purge Lumbria's seas of the Council of False Virtue. Now, Dizaun has left the court of the Witch-King, spurning his edicts for his own goals: claiming the Nemesis Crown for himself. But as the Druchii mass for war, the treasure hunting pirate is about to become the hunted.

The Background

The backstory for The Gilded Reavers, Dizaun and Disuan Cadsane, and The Ashen Fleet can be found here: Sea of Shadows

Next Update ETA: June 8th. Sorry!

The Armylist

Dizaun Cadsane -- General
Dark Elf High Sorceress, Level 4 w/Wand of Kharaidon, Crown of Dark Iron, Darkstar Cloak = 350

Disuan Cadsane
Dark Elf Sorceress, Level 2 w/Cloak of Dark Souls, Dispel Scroll = 180

Voyage
Dark Elf Sorceress, Level 2 w/Tome of Furion = 145

10 Warriors w/Repeater Crossbows, Shields, FC = 125
10 Warriors w/Repeater Crossbows, Shields, FC = 125
14 Corsairs w/FC, Soul Shadows Standard = 215

Deep Chariot w/Spears -- Counts As Cold One Chariot = 97
Deep Chariot w/Spears -- Counts As Cold One Chariot = 97
8 Pirates w/Aingeal (Bloodshade) -- Counts As Shades = 124
9 Harpies = 117

Kraken -- Counts as War Hydra = 220
Repeater Bolt Thrower = 100

Total = 1997
PD: 11 DD: 6 BI: 2 DS: 1 MC: 67
-----------

The list has become far more entertaining to play, now that I'm directly basing it off of the 'Sea of Shadows' fluff, instead of basing the 'Sea of Shadows' fluff off of the list.

------------

Pertinent Pictures!
I would like to start off by mentioning that some of these models are not finished (Haspera, for example, still only has his base-coats and that crow's nest doesn't even have THAT) and/or have been butchered by my camera's extremely bright flash. Please be merciful. Also, I'm a crappy painter.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j233/Gaidhael/Warhammer/GildedReavers007.jpg
The above are the four main characters amongst the Gilded Reavers: (from left to right) Haspera, Standard Bearer of the Ashen Fleet; Lady-Admiral Dizaun Cadsane, High Shadowmancer; Lady Disuan Cadsane, Sorceress Captain of 'Tor Anlec's Revenge'; Aingeal, First Mate of 'Tor Anlec's Revenge'

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j233/ ... ers008.jpg
A closer shot of Haspera and Dizaun.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j233/ ... ers009.jpg
A closer shot of Disuan and Aingeal.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j233/ ... ers013.jpg
The one shot of Dizaun that somewhat survived. I'll try and get another one that isn't crap.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j233/ ... ers016.jpg
Disuan. Like I said, I'm very, very proud of this conversion, and it looks great. Maybe not here, but in person, she's gorgeous.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j233/ ... ers014.jpg
Another of Disuan, 'cause I can't get enough.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j233/ ... ers017.jpg
Haspera from the front. Meh.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j233/ ... ers018.jpg
Haspera from the back. Blech. So boring. And so not finished.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j233/ ... ers021.jpg
G'yar! My first (somewhat) finished Sailors! The one with the greatsword shows up in Chapter VII of the TAF background because I liked how well he turned out. The other guy still needs to get his drybrushing.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j233/ ... ers023.jpg
G'yar from the back, now! I love that trenchcoat.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j233/ ... ers001.jpg
This is the old Gilded Reavers Corsair look. Note the bright blue boots? Yeah. That's from when I tried to make my army look more like Malice Mizer Goes To War. So that's changing. Also, the inside of the Sea Dragon Cloaks are going to be black with Shadow Grey highlights, to better fit the TAF colors.

-----------------

Conversion Progress

The conversions I've completed are as follows:

Dizaun Cadsane: Dizaun was an easy conversion, if I remember correctly. She's the standard Dark Elf Sorceress on foot (the old Morathi model) with the staff cut off. In its place, I put the Dark Rider Command sword-arm on her. The cloth matches, but I'm starting to have doubts about the biological implications... Step Two was to cut her boobs off. Dizaun is, after all that shadow magic dissapears, a man, whatever he might look like at first glance. I then green-stuffed a chainmail cuirass over the mess I had made (and yes, I did file off the odd bits). Step Three was just add the odd bits that I like. I even off one of those giant pointy shoulder just a little bit and perched an owl from the Dryad sprue onto it. I think it's cute. Like a pirate captain's parrot, but the Druchii equivalent? Whatever. And in the "beckoning" hand that looks all mangled, I put a clipped horn from the Glade Rider musician head-and-horn bit. I greenstuffed a mouthpiece onto it, and now it's the Horn of Chul-Kuran. 100% Complete

Disuan Cadsane: This conversion looks great, and once again, was so incredibly simple, it hurts. The base model is the Brettonian Damsel on foot. I cut off the hand holding the staff very carefully. Even if you do this corrrectly, you have a mess on your hands, since the staff is molded onto the body. I'm lazy, so I covered this by gluing a falchion from the Brettonian Peasant Command Sprue over most of it. The rest got a healthy application of green-stuff, and is not part of the cloak. Step Two was the creation of the new arm. I took the arm from the Glade Riders sprue that's holding the spear, cut off the spear-head, and cut the arm down until it looked in preportion, gluing it onto the empty sleeve the staff-arm had taken. Behold, the Wand of the Kharaidon! Step Three was the hat. Every pirate should have a big hat of some sort. So I took greenstuff, and piece by piece, molded a tri-corner onto her head. I started with the bowl of the hat, and then did the brim one side at a time, each piece being originally seperate. Step Four was easy: hide any fleur-de-leis I found. I glued another horn (this one also from the Brettonian Peasant sprue) over the symbol on sword she has at her side. While this model has a lot going on, it fills me with insane pride whenever I see it. 100% Complete

Voyage: The Wood Elf model with dreads with her boobs shaved off. Easy peasy. 100% Complete

Deep Chariots: These are going to require some work. I'm still daunted by the task before me. What these are is the main chariot body. I took two shaved down High Elf Command Sprue banner poles (only the portion that the banner respts upon) and glued them at a 45 degree angle to the Chariot body. I then glued a slightly modified High Elf Banner (the moon is missing) onto the pole to make miniature 'sails'. Eventually, these will be glued onto the base, and I'll mold wake around it with Water Effects gel. I then plan to pin two Hydra Heads to each base (the two that don't point in odd angles) and wrap a length of cheap chain (Sterling Silver and gold will not take primer well) around their necks, gluing it securely in place, and then glueing it to the chariot where the chasis used to be. 80% Complete

Pirates: These are Shades with added bitz. Nothing special, really, but they look far more flavorful, replace the incredibly expensive Mengil while fulfilling his function, and allow me to put Aingeal in the list without breaking my back looking for the points to do it. 80% Complete

Kraken: This monster is going to be built using most of the front half of the Hydra body minus the legs. I'm taking the Watcher in the Water tentacles from LotR and pinning them on to where the heads should be. Where the legs should go will be where I place the eyes and vents. I'll smooth over the backside with greenstuff to look like it's still submerged. Lots of greenstuffing to still do on this one, as well as the base. 40% Complete

Pictures of all that as soon as I can get ahold of a camera again.
Last edited by Sirist on Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:31 am, edited 22 times in total.
Mornedhel
Cabal without a cause

Post by Mornedhel »

Those conversion ideas sound very interesting. I´m not usually a fan of "counts as", but that´s just a personal preferrence, and maybe your conversions will persuade me to change my mind. Especially looking forward to seeing the damsel with the tricorne! The hydra and the bobsled of doom will probably be really interesting, too.

As for the pics, I don´t remember wether we actually allowed pics now, but I don´t think so, so you better make those links instead. If we make a blog section, we might consider allowing pics in there, though. Emphasis on 'consider'.

Some pics of your model´s current state would really be appreciated (yes, one of the most important things about army blogs is eye-candy :P). And I´d recommend basing them if you haven´t done that yet, it really adds a completely new dimension to a models look.

I also like the idea of a male mage wearing a 'female illusion' spell to escape persecution.

I can´t really comment on the list, not being one of the local master tacticians. So I think whatever floats your boat is fine, pun intended. ;)

Looking forward to your updates, mate!

Cheers,
Morn
It´s nice to be important, but it´s more important to be nice.
Sirist
Black Guard

Post by Sirist »

Well, they're not really 'counts as'. Technically, they're still using the actual model as a base. It's just hard to make sense of a Cold One Chariot sitting idle in a Black Ark.

And yes, when I get a camera, I'll show 'em off. Even if it means finding someone with a scanner. *cringe*

When I post the next part of the story today, I'll post another relevant picture.
Mornedhel
Cabal without a cause

Post by Mornedhel »

What about using a digital camera? They work better imo, as with a normal camera and scanner, both the scanner and camera have to support high resolutions to get good results.

Thanks for removing the pics, btw. I didn´t yet read your story, but I´ll get round to it tomorrow evening.
It´s nice to be important, but it´s more important to be nice.
Sirist
Black Guard

Post by Sirist »

October 1st

Hurray! Chapter VI is out in the 'Sea of Shadows' storyline. Check it out at the WHFB Intersite Campaign. The link to that website is in my profile, and the link to the story is on the original post! I also decided not to put the full-sized image of my general up until I can figure out a way to ensure no one steals it. Thieves! Thieves everywhere!
Sirist
Black Guard

Post by Sirist »

October 2nd

Alright, I got the calendar of events at my local gaming club (*sigh* No GW in Olympia...), and there's not one, but two Warhammer tournaments coming up. The one later this month is a 2000pt tourney, so I'll use my standard list for it (provided I don't change it), but the one on the 15th is a 1500 pt tourney, so no Lord choice, and one of my precious Rare slots is gone. So now I need to figure out what's going to go into the list. I'll post a tentative version of the 1500 pt list tomorrow, but any suggestions between now and then are welcome. The 2000pt list is in the original post.
Sirist
Black Guard

Post by Sirist »

October 3rd

Alright, so in preperation for the tournament on the 15th, I have two lists that sound equally good to me. Either way, I'm going to be busy painting one or the other; however, for the Ogre list, I'll also be buying a Butcher model, while for the Druchii, I'll be buying a Black Guard Booster (the Champion and Standard Bearer will be my Nobles). Well, without further ado, here's the lists. Feel free to critique.

Druchii List -- 1500 pts (1495 pts)

Dark Elf Noble w/Sword of Might, Seal of Ghrond, shield, heavy armor, sea dragon cloak = 127
Dark Elf Battle Standard Bearer w/Warbanner = 120
Dark Elf Sorceress, Level 2 w/Dispel Scrollx2 = 180

20 Warriors w/shields, full command = 185
20 Warriors w/shields, full command = 185
10 Warriors w/shields, repeater crossbows, musician = 125

Chariot w/spears = 97
Chariot w/spears = 97
Chariot w/spears = 97
6 Shades = 84

PD: 4 DD: 4 DS: 2 MC: 68
--------------------------------
Both Nobles will be riding in chariots (reducing the risk of Stupidity), and the Sorceress will join the Crossbows. The line will advance until the chariots can punch a hole in the opposing line with a combined charge. The spears will hold units until the chariots can come and deal with them, but considering that these are, indeed, just spearmen, if I can't deal with them soon, the spears will likely break. The Shades are there to march block units with a larger charge range than my chariots, and to provide a little extra shooting power alongside the Reapers and Crossbowmen. It's a pretty standard list. The big question here is whether I drop the Sorceress' level and use those points somewhere else. Would 4 PD actually do anything at 1500pts? Yes? No?
-------------------------------
Ogre List -- 1500pts (1496)

Bruiser w/Siegebreaker, Wyrdstone Necklace, Heavy Armor = 184
Butcher w/Bangstick, Dispel Scroll = 180
Butcher w/Dispel Scroll = 155

5 Bulls w/extra hand weapons = 195
3 Ironguts w/standard bearer, Warbanner = 189
20 Gnoblars = 40
8 Gnoblar Trappers = 48

3 Leadbelchers = 165
3 Leadbelchers = 165

Slavegiant = 175

PD: 6 DD: 4 DS: 2 MC: 46
This list is a little more interesting, but has a similar principle. I just need to charge. Need with a capitol N. The Trappers follow the same principle as the Shades in my other list. Ironguts are my can-openers, and my Bruiser sits in them. My Butchers join the Bulls and one of the Leadbelcher units. Leadbelchers are gross. Gross! And they'll run a support/flanker role. My Slavegiant has to flank, since he isn't Stubborn, and my luck at rolling Yell and Bawl! is always lackluster. Again, aside from the Slavegiant, this list looks pretty standard.
Either way, these lists look pretty solid to me. I just need to figure out which one I'm using. I'd really like to do the Druchii list, but I have more confidence in the Ogres in a tournament setting. Any thoughts? Suggestions?
Sirist
Black Guard

Post by Sirist »

October 7th
Alright, so the 1500 pt tournament I was getting prepared for is apparently for 40K. May I make some enemies and simply say I hate 40K with a fiery passion? Why, you ask? Because the stuff I've seen of 40K comes down to a pissing contest: "My list iz bettar than urs, durpadur." I see Warhammer players -- at least the ones at the SBB -- as a collection of the socially defunct; 40K players are an extreme of that because of the insecure requirement to trash-talk one another in order to get a game. Just ask, and I'm sure they'll play! You do not have to destroy the ego of a ten year-old kid because you have the self-esteem of a hermit crab. So, 40K, frig off.

/rant

Suffice to say, I will not have to decide which list to play for that 1500 pt game. So now I just have to get ready for the 2000pt tourney at the end of the month. Hurrah.

As for the promised 'Sea of Shadows' chapter, it won't be done on the 10th. I'm actually working on a different piece with a deadline on the 10th.

Pictures soon.
Sirist
Black Guard

Post by Sirist »

October 10th
I have streamlined the original post of the blog. Changes include:
- General layout
- The list has been updated
- The progress of the conversions has been updated
- Haspera's model has changed
- The fluff, 'Sea of Shadows', has an ETA for its 7th chapter, entitled 'Boundaries.' Expect more Fingol.
Tomorrow, I'll be playing some games (hopefully), and will be able to post some battle reports. Again, I'm not sure how WAAC the OCC is, so I might get my butt handed to me. If it turns out to be super-WAAC, then I might be using a City Guard list for a few months.[/b]
Legion noir
Executioner

Post by Legion noir »

Gender does not matter, your enthusiasm and drive are what is important.
I wish I could find the time & energy to do likewise, but work keeps me away from play too much this year.As I scribe this note I am aboard a Black ark in the north sea, far from my army & home.You work is novel keep it up. :)
I must be naughty......its the law!
Sirist
Black Guard

Post by Sirist »

legion noir wrote:Gender does not matter, your enthusiasm and drive are what is important.
I wish I could find the time & energy to do likewise, but work keeps me away from play too much this year.As I scribe this note I am aboard a Black ark in the north sea, far from my army & home.You work is novel keep it up. :)

Thank you for your kind words; I appreciate them. :D "As for your army and your home, my lord, they will be awaiting your return, no? Great them as a hero, and good sailings."

October 13th -- How Unlucky!
Well, nothing had has happened so far. Tomorrow, the next chapter of 'Sea of Shadows' should be ready. Or, at least, that's what I promised, and I'll do my best to keep it. As for the actual posting of the new chapter, don't be surprised if it takes a while. I'd like to move the entire story over here, and if I do, I want to bring it in style. I'll be increasing the first and second chapters' size.

As for a battle report, I actually declined to play when I went to the OCC, contenting myself to simply look at the lists people were using. I'm less than thrilled. Out of the three games I observed, two players had lists that just looked like a mess of cheese. One Ogre list with an impossible number of Bulls and two Scraplaunchers, and one Chaos list that just looked daunting -- Nurgle, I think, so nothing too horrible, and it lacked Knights of Chaos, so I may be making mountains out of molehills on that one.

But next Wednesday, I promise to play a few games. I swear an oath that I shall shake off this lethargy, and resume my reavings!
Xerasi
Highborn

Post by Xerasi »

I must actually disagree a bit. The statement "gender does not matter" is not true to me. I by far prefer diversity in what ever I do. Both Cultural, age, gender and many more... I do totally agree that it is enthusiasm that drives one.

Id also suggest that you play for the love of the game, not for us. I'm shure you are going to, but don't feel that you have to do it...

I'm realy enjoying following this topic, think I'll soon post my own, but as I don't want to play games before my army is painted I'll proberbly wait a couple of weeks. Just wanted to say that you inspired me.

Your list seems nice, even though I haven't had time to read your story, I think it's nice and based on fluff and not powergaming.

If you have trouble with powergamers, I suggest that you might want to practice redirecting a bit. I have trouble against some powergamers, but generally a good redirection usually can bring their army down. Nothing better than seeing a medicore army beating a true powergamer :P

I'm interested in how you are going to do bases? With the theme I can only see 3 ways, either they are on the ship/ark, they are on the beach where they just landed, or they are up on the ground like most other armies.

Keep up the good work, and hope to see pictures some time in the future...

Xerasi
DoW 2/2.25k W-L-D: 22 - 4 - 3
Ixombie
Noble

Post by Ixombie »

You're a genius! I'd been wanting to make a pirate army for the longest time, but couldn't justify taking Corsairs post revision, not to mention spending all that money on large blocks of all pewter troops that aren't the optimal choice... I'd really like to see some close-ups of your Sailors so I can see how they turned out.

One coversion that I will definitely do if and when I get around to making pirates is a highborn using the helmetless Black Guard (the one leaning on his halberd with his hand on his hip and an arrogant look on his face) and sticking one of the floofy empire hats on him. Empire characters look like fops in those hats, but a black guard becomes an instant pirate! :twisted: Well, after you model the sea dragon cloak anyway.
What can change the nature of a man?
Sirist
Black Guard

Post by Sirist »

Xerasi:

Id also suggest that you play for the love of the game, not for us. I'm shure you are going to, but don't feel that you have to do it...

I do play for the love of the game, but there are a lot of things about Warhammer that I love. I love the story, I love the gameplay, and I love the hobby, and with that last bit, I'm having trouble. All my conversions and the painting I have to do keeps me from playing; it makes me self-concious to play with unpainted/unfinished models. But I really do have to get out there and play if I want to be ready for the tournament on the 29th

I'm realy enjoying following this topic, think I'll soon post my own, but as I don't want to play games before my army is painted I'll proberbly wait a couple of weeks. Just wanted to say that you inspired me.

I'm glad! I'd really like to see more army blogs up here aside from Morn and I! I'd like to see how other Druchii generals construct, run, and revise their armies.

Your list seems nice, even though I haven't had time to read your story, I think it's nice and based on fluff and not powergaming.

Oh so true. I just need to get my list to a comfortable place so I can stop changing it. It's more a fun little list than anything that's going to win me all my games.

If you have trouble with powergamers, I suggest that you might want to practice redirecting a bit. I have trouble against some powergamers, but generally a good redirection usually can bring their army down. Nothing better than seeing a medicore army beating a true powergamer

How do you mean, redirecting? I'd love to know.

I'm interested in how you are going to do bases? With the theme I can only see 3 ways, either they are on the ship/ark, they are on the beach where they just landed, or they are up on the ground like most other armies.

I'm still debating on this issue. Most likely, it's going to be a beach with some dark green jungle foliage for the majority of the army; boards for the Corsairs and Reapers (I plan to make a boat for them to be on for my display board); water and water effect for my Kraken and Chariots; rocks for my Harpies. So a real hodgepodge. ><

ixombie:

You're a genius! I'd been wanting to make a pirate army for the longest time, but couldn't justify taking Corsairs post revision, not to mention spending all that money on large blocks of all pewter troops that aren't the optimal choice... I'd really like to see some close-ups of your Sailors so I can see how they turned out.

They look very... ah... gritty, is how I like to put it. Some have beards. Some have mustaches. Some have trenchcoats, pistols, blunderbusses, regular crossbows, cutlasses, greatswords, falchions... It goes on. Some have goofy hats. But most have spears and shields. The problem with them is that some of the legs and torsos (namely, pairing the Dark Elf torsos with the Empire legs) don't line up well, so it requires a bit of greenstuff and filing. I will put up pictures of them as soon as I can, though! Look for them next week.

One coversion that I will definitely do if and when I get around to making pirates is a highborn using the helmetless Black Guard (the one leaning on his halberd with his hand on his hip and an arrogant look on his face) and sticking one of the floofy empire hats on him. Empire characters look like fops in those hats, but a black guard becomes an instant pirate! Well, after you model the sea dragon cloak anyway.

Here's what I'd do, if you can just wait long enough: when the Empire general set comes out, use the hat with the three long feathers. It's a gorgeously flamboyant hat, and I really want to put it on one of my characters! Otherwise, your idea sounds great! Good luck!

Thank you both for watching my army progress! I appreciate any and all comments. Good sailing!
[/quote]
Sirist
Black Guard

Post by Sirist »

October 18th
Major crisis.

I am seriously having doubts about the viability of this list.
Xerasi
Highborn

Post by Xerasi »

What I meant by the love of the game is not only on the table, but I will not commend more on that. I think we agree, so no reason to start a discussion...

On baiting, PM me... I've not played in a couple of months, but will happily share my ideas with you. Mind you that ATM I am constructing a DoW army, and not having played vanilla druchii for maybe a year by now, I will relate it to the armies that I'm most familiar with atm. And by heart I am a Dark Elf, so hopefully I can be helpfull if needed.

Now to the army list. I'll try to help rework it (only slight canges) if you do not think it will fare well on the table. My normal oppinion is that the game of warhammer is decided by ones tactical ability, and not by the armylist, but I do know that this isn't always the case. A competitive list that is Min/maxed will be the case, but there are other important things as fluff that are to be concidered (as you do). A fluffy armylist will fall against some of the powergamers, but usually you can make things work if you realy want it. So here it goes:

The Armylist
Dark Elf High Sorceress, Level 4 w/Darkstar Cloak, Dispel Scroll = 300

Disuan Cadsane
Dark Elf Sorceress, Level 2 w/Wand of the Kharaidon = 175
A basic magic heavy setup. Works and is known to work. Only consideration that one might do is giving the lord a wardsave. I'd do it, but on the other hand, I'd play her with a Manti, on foot she should be able to stay out of trouble. Maybe a dark steed, but as far as I can see, that would be against the fluff, so lets leave her as is.

Haspera
Dark Elf Standard Bearer w/Warbanner = 120
This guy will give you problems. It is fine by me to use a BSB, though I wouldn't usually do it with elves. I would, without doubt either give him heavy armor and sea dragons cloak, or a bloodarmor. I might if points allow it concider the web of shadows as a magic weapon, but lets just go mundane to keep him out of combat. +10 pts

20 Sailors w/Shields, FC -- Counts As Warriors = 185
20 Sailors w/Shields, FC -- Counts As Warriors = 185
I understand this setup, but I would concider if the musican and/or the champion are worth it. Smaller units (15) are not an option as you wish to use a BSB, but with one, you should not fear a draw / one-point loss, so if points are needed the musicans and/or champions will be droped

10 Sailors w/Repeater Crossbows, Shields, Mus -- Counts As Warriors = 115
A nice setup, can work as diverters, and are tooled up to flee form a charge. They also work well as a flanking unit. If points are found you can concider boosting them up the the magic number 13. 13 forces 4 kills before a panic is taken, and you will first lose your rankbouns after 4 kills

11 Corsairs w/FC = 135
This is a very expensive unit. And I would strongly suggest change to it. 135 points is not that bad, but for 11 wounds, and worth 235 points. It suddenly is very costy. I'd suggest droping full command, have a muso for fleeing purposes, and a cut to 10 men. If points are found later this might be a good option for a boost to the magical 13, though they wont benifit alot from the rank (it's of course better to field such a unit with 6 or 7 men in first rank. -35pts

2 Deep Chariots + Spears -- Counts As Cold One Chariots = 97 (x2)
Deep Chariot -- Counts As Cold One Chariot = 95
Works, I don't realy know weather the 3rd chariot is worth it, but they realy add hitting power, so keep it. I'm adding spears if I can find the points

5 Harpies = 65
A nice setup once again, I prefer harpies by far over shades, and they have gotten even better here in 7th (compared to shades as they can be marchblocked). A wonderful mobile unit. You could include 9 a better settup (given panic tests) or 7 (because of the 5 models to form a rank rule) this is a priority if points are found, as they are great at using the crossfire rule (and it'd be sad if you lost one and now would't use it any more

2 Repeater Bolt Thrower = 100 (x2)
I must be honest and say that boltthrowers are realy realy not me. I understand why one needs shooting, especially in a defensive list, but my dow works fine with 10 crossbowmen and a cannon. The cannon is not even there for taking ranks away... It might be me, but every time I've ever fielded a RBT it has failed me miserably. Either it was destroyed, it wasn't able to target the right unit, or it didn't kill the single knight that would take off a rankbonus. All in all I find them unreliable, too unreliable. I see somewhat with your theme that you might like a bolt thrower or two, but I must say that A) I think you are better off without, and B) I see alot of other choices that might be better. Not willing to let my anti-boltthrower mind decide this or not, I'll simply remove half of 'em, and thats 1.-100 points

Kraken -- Counts As a War Hydra = 220
I like a Warhydra, and seems like you realy want to go this way. I'm not convinced that it is completely point efficient, but I say keep it. You like it, and with practice it will work. (I'm not saying you don't have any, more that I lack it, but I have had great fun using one).

Total = 1999
PD: 9 DD: 5 DS: 1 MC: 81
This basicly leaves you without a boltthrower, but with 126 points to spend. Not having cav will hurt you, so I'd say throw in a reg. of shades. Now you at least got a couple of troops that are fast, and they fit well into the theme. 5 shades come at 70 points. Drop another 2 for spears on the chariots, and your down to 54pts. Now you are more free to spend your points, but I'd not surgest that you use them for corsairs. (I'll explain when I'm done with the list). 2 harpies adds up to the first magical number, so they will be included for a total of 7. 28 points to go. As crazy as it might sound I'd use 20 points for rxbs on two of the chariots. now 8 points are not that easy to use, until I figured that a spearman is 8 points a piece. Now I would love for a couple more in both units, but I think you will do fine with the one extra.

Either I or you (prob me, I'm good at math, but always make some tiny mistake :P) have made some calculation error. All in all it ends with 5 more points than I had anticipated. So I would use the last points to get a couple of extra spearmen (for outnumber and not losing ranks so fast). Droping both the champs gives 25 points. This makes both units 22 instead of 21/20. This is somethin I would realy prefer, and I am not worried about the loss of champions (I know they help in challenges, but your goal is not to be forced to use them to protect your sorc. I also just realized that it would be preferable to have a muso on the corsairs instead of on the rxb men. (they lose more by fleeing than corsairs, and corsairs by far prefer to charge.)

To sum up the new list it would be:

Dark Elf High Sorceress, Level 4 w/Darkstar Cloak, Dispel Scroll = 300

Disuan Cadsane
Dark Elf Sorceress, Level 2 w/Wand of the Kharaidon = 175

Haspera
Dark Elf Standard Bearer w/HA, SDC, Warbanner = 130

22 Sailors w/Shields, Std, muso -- Counts As Warriors = 191
22 Sailors w/Shields, Std, muso -- Counts As Warriors = 191
10 Sailors w/Repeater Crossbows, Shields, Mus -- Counts As Warriors = 115
10 Corsairs = 100

2 Deep Chariots + Spears + RXB-- Counts As Cold One Chariots = 107 (x2)
Deep Chariot + Spears -- Counts As Cold One Chariot = 97

5 Shades = 70
7 Harpies = 91

1 Repeater Bolt Thrower = 100
Kraken -- Counts As a War Hydra = 220

Total = 1999
PD: 9 DD: 5 DS: 1

I just realized that the 2x 25 sailor spearmen might be including the RXB, but if so you could convert a corsair to being std in both regiments (or just use their std if you have 2) I'm shure that you can figure this out.

You have lost 6 str 4 ap shots, but on the other hand gained 9 rxbs, so it shouldn't be a loss. I'd have the BSB ride in the 3rd chariot if you want him a bit more protected. The extra shooting is not to make this list more defensive. I think that a Quasi defensive approach would work well, I know that you do not have cav or large flying targets as they are usually used, but you have a far more steady center. I'd let the enemy advance (likely granting him if he is offensive minded the first turn, so that you will be in rxb range. When shooting, I'd target units not to cause panic tests, but to remove static CR. Less static CR from the opponent, will make you far more likely to hold, and then counter charge in the next turn. Use shades to bait if needed, and harpies when you realy need it. Use the Corsairs on one flank, and rxb warriors on the other to flank a enemy who charged in, but also use them to bait with (as you don't loose a lot of points when losing them.

To tell the truth I would realy prefer another fully ranked warrior unit, or even two, but we are elves, and I think you can play it competively without.

Use you weakness against the enemy. Let him think that you play defensively, but if you can get the charge. Only use missile weapons if you don't have an opportunity to make a damaging move... in short play it quasi defensive (the rough translation would be 'As/like defensive') If you have the opportunity to charge out at a regiment that only has 3 ranks because of shooting casualties, and you are in charge range with your bsb, by all means do. Either this slows your opponent down, or he takes the charge. If he flees to countercharge you flee, and counter his countercharge. Sorcs can stay in units until the enemy is near. When they get near they can either jump out in the open and use a combination of your and enemy units to block LoS to his shooting, or hide behind chariots (if they can take a charge from what the enemy can throw at them, d6+1 str 5 impact hits realy hurts a mage ;)).

I hope you can use it, and I am confident that you will be able to use the list effectively. A fluffy army actually has a fear factor. It grants a psychological upper hand, because every unit is so unique, and shows a strong bond between units.

Best of luck on wednesday,
Xerasi (and no, I can't keep a message short)
Sirist
Black Guard

Post by Sirist »

October 27th
Alright. I just wanted to share what I was listening to as I write the background for the Gilded Reavers. Just to give some reference as to music Dizaun, the Reavers, and perhaps the Druchii as a whole might find... accomodating, yes? :P This iTunes playlist is entitled 'Pirate King'. I am not at all an anime fan, except for 'BERSERK', which is godly, but I love good instrumentals, and all of these shows/movies/whatever have them in spades.

Fearless Eyes -- Junichi Nakatsuru -- Soul Caliber III OST
Fomorian Towers -- Paul Haslem -- New Celtic Moon
Davy Jones -- Hans Zimmer -- PotC: Dead Man's Chest OST
Underwater March -- Klaus Badelt -- PotC: Curse of the Black Pearl OST
Murder -- Berserk OST
Budget Meeting -- Hans Zimmer -- King Arthur OST
The Kraken -- Hans Zimmer -- PotC: Dead Man's Chest OST
magic and sword -- .hack//SIGN OST
Dragon Summon -- Hikaru Nanase -- Angel Sanctuary OST
The Wars of the Last Wolves -- Taku Iwasaki -- Samurai X OVA OST
Timecrash -- Eric Serra -- Fifth Element OST
I.Shinji -- NGE OST
Skull and Crossbones -- Klaus Badelt -- PotC: Curse of the Black Pearl OST
Sail Over The Storm -- Junichi Nakatsuru -- Soul Caliber III OST
The Wind of Killer -- Vampire Princess Miyu OST
Blood -- Taku Iwasaki -- Samurai X OVA OST

Just a look inside my head. New chapter for the 'Sea of Shadows' story will be up tonight. Probably late, since 'Battlestar Galactica' is on, and it's got me hooked bad.
Sirist
Black Guard

Post by Sirist »

November 13th
I've changed the list considerably.

It now directly reflects the story 'Sea of Shadows' and Dizaun's allies and army from the story.
Sirist
Black Guard

Post by Sirist »

November 14th
Gods! This chapter is so close to being finished! I can taste it! Maybe I'll stay up late tonight, and go to bed totally satisfied with a job well done. Yeah... That sounds about right. I'm incredibly excited. This story just keeps getting better and better in my head. I just hope Fingol doesn't eat me alive for all the liberties I'm taking with his general...

Then again, I'm taking liberties with a lot of characters that aren't my own. Malekith. Morathi. Furion. Even Menghil Manhide makes an appearance.

On another note, I'm thinking of comissioning another artist to do a portrait of either the twins, or of Dizaun and his former private tutor.

Edit: Ahaha... Well, I came close. But I need to go to shleep. I have class tomorrow. If it's not done tomorrow, you can burn me as a witch.
Sirist
Black Guard

Post by Sirist »

November 14th... Again
IT'S DONE!

Pardon my capitol letters, but I'm excited! Click the link on the original post to see the newest chapter of the novella 'Sea of Shadows', my epic about the Gilded Reavers and the Twilight War.

And Fingol, this is my invitation to you: you may flame me with indescriminate abandon. xD

Note: I won't be posting new chapters for a while. In anticipation of its move to Druchii.net (and the inevitable criticism of Eldacar :cry: ), I'm going to be working on lengthening the first two chapters and minor editing on the entire story. Enjoy!
Fingol darkwater
Witch King's Envoy

Post by Fingol darkwater »

And Fingol, this is my invitation to you: you may flame me with indescriminate abandon. xD

*unpacks flamethrower* I don't think I'll need it Sirist, but we'll see. I'll read it when I'm not dodging the angry librarian lady to get on the internet ;)
Sirist
Black Guard

Post by Sirist »

December 25th -- Merry Christmas!
Well, first off, I'd like to report this is not thread necromancy. It's User necromancy. I have been brought back from the dead, or the real world.

Really, it's a combinaton of finals week, going back to work, the exploding of my laptop, and the massive power outtages in my neck of the American woods.

A few updates. I've redone my list, which I'll post when I get the chance. It's much more ISCish, and it's a very unique list. It looks like a lot of fun.

Also, I've abandoned my stupid, stupid, stupid idea of having great white sharks pull my chariots. Takes way too much greenstuff, and way too much time. So, instead, they're going to be pulled by sea drakes. I'm just going to use the body of the chariot, take a cheap chain, and wrap it around a pair of Hydra heads, and glue the middle of the chain to the chariot body.

As for the story... sad news. When my computer exploded, it took with it most of my new progress. I'm pulling my hair out trying to rewrite it. When I get back on campus, I'll get back to my normal cycle, but right now, I'm stretched every which way.
Dancingpigeon
Highborn

Post by Dancingpigeon »

Good to see you back, Sirist. I look forward to seeing your new list. Any new piccies?
Venkh wrote:But then if wishes were fishes, Id be captain birdseye.
Sirist
Black Guard

Post by Sirist »

I'm getting a digital camera today, so yes! As soon as I'm reunited with my army, of course. It's waiting patiently on my desk in my dorm.

...unless it comes alive at night.
Fingol darkwater
Witch King's Envoy

Post by Fingol darkwater »

When my computer exploded, it took with it most of my new progress. I'm pulling my hair out trying to rewrite it.

:| exploded? More power to you if you get it all rewriten.
Druchii Discussion and History mod

Behind every mask, is a man
who can't live in his own skin.
He lives by the flask.
He bathes in his past
and dies of his own sins