How many sorceresses against dwarves?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Kheirakh
Assassin

How many sorceresses against dwarves?

Post by Kheirakh »

Hi!

How many sorceresses should there be against dwarves in a 2k game? I just thought those nasty dark magic spells that prevent shooting could be handy against those pesky stunties.. And of course doombolt and black horror are good (exspecially black horror, because it can kill stunty warriors with ease..).

How many DDs an average dwarf army can have, and what is the max. number of DD they can have in 2k game?

I haven't thought of the rest of the army, but it could have fast things, like DRs, CoKs, a war hydra, flyers..

Also some shooting: RBTs, shades

And a couple of ranked units: warriors, corsaris (?), even witch elves (??), maybe execs?
My avatar is so cute, isn't it?
Cenyu
Khaindar

Post by Cenyu »

Dwarfs have 4 basic dispel dice. Runesmiths add 1 dice, Runelords add 2 (and another 1 if they have an Anvil of Doom). They have access to the Master Rune of Balance which steals one enemy power dice and adds it to the Dwarfs' dispel dice (costs a normal hero's whole item allowance, though and can only be taken once). In addition they can give magic resistance to units via magic banners or characters. There are Runes which function like scrolls and an improved Master version of those which can destroy an enemy spell for the casting mage on 4+.

Yes, Dwarfs can build up a pretty scary defense against magic but it costs them also a fair amount of points. I think most Dwarfs favor a more balanced approach with one or two Runesmiths (or a Runelord).
Opera of death
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: Owns all the slaves responsible for monsterdoo removal, stables of Karond Kar

Post by Opera of death »

How about none.

Invest the points in more Dwarf-killers.

Otherwise, with 4 - 7 dispell dice you will need a surplus of 2 or 3 power dice.

He needs to dispell only the spells that go off, but may need to more than you used to cast for the important ones.

More spellcasters will increase the chances of getting the right spells.

you can get into rock/paper/scissors i your opponet can expect magic heavy.
I like the sound of screaming in the morning; it invigourates the soul.
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

Taking none is kind of cheesy if you ask me - its specifically tailoring your list to beat up on a specific opponent. Well, maybe not cheesy, but certainly not sporting. ;)

I find that the most optimal way to do things would be to use 2 L2s and give one the cloak and the other the wand to give you 7 dice and a bound item. That means 2 chillwinds (or the magic missile from death), one doombolt, and something else on 3 dice (which is to say, effectively 4 sure castings) each turn, which is a solid magic phase to say the least. If he's taking more than one runesmith or a runelord or something else, then he's already spending more than you on magic (defence), so it'd be a wash if he happens to do so.
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Opera of death
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: Owns all the slaves responsible for monsterdoo removal, stables of Karond Kar

Post by Opera of death »

What do you mean cheesy. I had no magic users in my last league army and the League Army I'm testing has none either. IIt's intended to fight all-comers. I must use my 3DD VERy carefully.
Malekith's psychologist
Beastmaster
Location: can't u feel my breath on the back of ur neck?maybe the cold steel on ur throat gives u a clue

Post by Malekith's psychologist »

With dwarfs (if specifically playing against them, not talking tourneys here), IMO you should either go no magic at all, therefore making his runesmiths pretty useless, or full monty. If you only get something like 2 L2 sorceress his 4 basic DD, plus runesmiths/anvil/magic resistance runes/etc, will be more tahn enough to make them useless. And he basically has no magic so your DD make no difference.

On the other hand 4 sorceresses could be enough to get those spells through, specially if you get the WoK and force him to use his DD.

Still getting to dwarfs with magic is a risky business as you loose the punch your heroes will give against those tough stunties...
DiscipleOfKhaine said:
Im not saying that makes them unworthy of a model, Im just saying...that Malekith is the greatest elven king in the history of the world and I will never concede otherwise.
- human
Adept of Khaine

Post by - human »

You need at least 2 level 2s, or a level 4 if you want to use a magic phase. Going with no magic is indeed kind of unsportsmanlike. You won't get much through, so don't even bother bringing a single level 2. Medium magic can work well, thanes are so useful that they usually won't max out on runelords.
- Human
Opera of death
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Opera of death »

I'm sorry Human, but what's so wrong with no magic in your army? How can that be nonsporting? Magic isn't compulsory. All of my armies have been magic-light, even my VC.

Tailoring your army in to extreme a fashion can be unsporting. It may be that I am not unbiased, but AFAIAC, little is unsporting when fighting a army that might include Thorek.

If you want to be really sporting, build a standard tournament list and go with it, or promise to yourself to use the same army against the next two non-dwarf opponents.
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

I dont think that it is unsportsmanship to not have any magic just so you have more points to pend on other things either. I usually go low magic most of the time anyway with only a lvl2 and a Dark Emissary on the days I want to use alot of magic.

Against dwarfs I would take no magic its realy just a wast of points that could be spnt elsewhere.
Want some tips on controlling those frenzied units? http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=71791&highlight=
Harabec
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Harabec »

I almost always take some level of magic, even if I know my opponent, so its not a personal concern. But I don't think it is unsporting to take no magic. You can bet the dwarf player would be taking as much as he can to remove DE strengths so why would it be unfair to do the same for his.
Seanzala
Death Jester

Post by Seanzala »

Either none or lots. And no, there is nothing unsporting about an army without magic. Taking two Lvl 2's or even a Lvl 4 and a Lvl 2 is not worth it. If you want to have effective magic against them you need to take at least a Lvl 4 and 2 Lvl 2's, with purely offensive magic items. To be really effective, take a Dark Emmisary on top. For I think 780pts you can get 14 PD and not take any magic items. Take the Darkstar cloak on the High Sorc to make her even better, and spend 800pts on 15 PD. Then make a list around it and your set.

Sean
Opera of death
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Opera of death »

From the other side, is there any doubt that your opponent will be fielding the troops and runes necessary to beat Druchii or will he be using a standard tournament army?
Crazy_elf_lady
Executioner

Post by Crazy_elf_lady »

I've tried both methods to besting Dwarfs. Sadly, none have worked and I've never won a single game against the new Dwarf army book. I've run with no magic, and I've tried plenty of magic. The real problem is a Dwarf player can spend 145 points towards anti-magic. This will grant him with 6 dispel dice, a dispel scroll, and take one of your power dice away. In order to have enough power dice to overcome all that, you need to spend many more points. There's also the issue where any character or unit with a standard can get MR1 for 15 points... t.t

Power stones can be a great investment vs Dwarfs though. As you need no scrolls, load up on stones. I once took a scouting high sorc with 3 stones, and she dropped all sorts of wicked magic from the first turn on.
I want to be where the stars in the sky are my footsteps...
Where every cloud is a stair leading closer to you..
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

Opera of Death wrote:What do you mean cheesy. I had no magic users in my last league army and the League Army I'm testing has none either. IIt's intended to fight all-comers. I must use my 3DD VERy carefully.

If its what you always do, then no, of course its not cheesy, but if you're known like many people are to take at least a couple magic users a game and then all of a sudden you know you're facing dwarfs that can't have them and you take none, then yeah, its not exactly sporting is it?

What you can consider doing is let your opponent know ahead of time that you aren't planning on bringing any magic and then they don't have to waste points on anti-magic and can enjoy the same sort of benefits. If all you're doing is looking for an advantage that wouldn't normally be there (having upwards of 400 extra points to spend) then that's not exactly fair and not exactly sporting. If all you do is want that advantage and want to win, there are easier ways to do it. City Guard and 8 bolt throwers will ruin anyone's day.

Tailoring your army in to extreme a fashion can be unsporting. It may be that I am not unbiased, but AFAIAC, little is unsporting when fighting a army that might include Thorek.

Just because an army CAN include some stupidly ridiculous character doesn't mean you should prepare for it at every turn though.
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Opera of death
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Opera of death »

Well, if my opponent will agree not to use Thorek, I'll agree to be a LOT more sporting. Have faced two Dwarf armies with Thorek, I;m feeling very jaundiced.

In my experience, everyone who is not undead goes no-magic or magic heavy when they play one-off against Dwarfs and the Dwarfs know this.

I almost never play one-off games. I'm always trying learning new armies or practicing my tactics. I don't play enough to be able to waste the experience opportunity.
Kheirakh
Assassin

Post by Kheirakh »

Thanks for the answers! I'll probably go with two lvl 2 sorceresses with the wand and cloaks and stones, and try to eat those runesmiths early in the game, so that I get some spells off..
My avatar is so cute, isn't it?
Duke daedric
Cold One Knight

Post by Duke daedric »

Good luck my friend, because you will NEED it....
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is the Assassin Bunny.
He has been specially trained by "the Old man of the Mountain".
He looks cute and than bites off your aorta when you least expect it.. ;)