Get your expensive cavalry out of my sight !!!

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Get your expensive cavalry out of my sight !!!

Post by Killerk »

I don't know if this has been discussed earlier or not. if it was then .......... well to late.

The following idea is costly in point's, but in few occasions can be worth wile. And the down side is you have to prepare this during your deployment.

Now to start off you need 2 nice bait unit's, some thing worth enough point's for you enemy, to take the bait. I suggest a COC, (strong powerful and yet so cheep in point's), what you do is drive up close to enemy cav. unit (make it look like your setting up a charge for some thing else). Very important that the COC is at the edge of line of sight, but still in line of sight. Next during you deployment you should have set up the other unit ( I suggest a RBT) since it’s DEPLOYED close to the table edge. In line with the expensive enemy cavalry and your COC.

How this works. (usally turn 2-3) Your opponent realizes that you made a mistake and left your COC in his line of sight :roll: , he decides to charge thinking that he’ll kill your chariot and he might overrun in to your RBT.(MAKE SHURE YOUR DISCTANCE IS RIGHT BE NO LESS THA 9" FROM HIS MAX CHARGE RANGE) You declare flee, on 2d6 you get around 6”-8” with means he caught you unit and moves his full distance, not enough to reach the RBT just by a few inches, and far away from the main part of the battle. :twisted:

Your turn (your off killing his army :) ) and don’t forget to shoot while you can, you still might force your opponent to make a panic test.
Then his turn. (turn 3-4) He obviously has nothing better to do except to destroy the most hated and feared unit you have (RBT). You declare a flee the moves his full move out of the table.
Your turn, (you continue slaughtering :D )
His turn ( 4-5) he’s back at the table, and can’t do any thing but watch, his army get torn to shred’s.
Your turn (more killing :lol: )
His turn he ma move 7” forward because your harpies are march blocking, and the battle is so far away he cant charge.
Your turn. (finishing of enemy unit’s) :twisted: . Move your harpies (or DR/shades what ever) 1” from his front so he can only charge.
His turn (5-6) complete break down since his cavalry only can charge your unit, which will fell, making him move his max charge distance, end up exactly where your unit’s are waiting for him ( in other word’s a trap), at this point he should defiantly see it’s a trap since all your unit’s will be already ready and waiting, it wont change any thing for he has shurly lost.

Unfortunately this will happen not to frequently, but when it does it feels goooooooood.

I’ve done this a few times with different unit's (not necessarily DE) but I'm waiting for a battle in which my DE will get their chance.

Best of luck.
Also known as Kanadian
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

What you've got is a general common tactic I find in getting rid of a nasty unit. Most often though, its not really worth sacrificing 200 points to buy yourself some time from getting eaten by a monster unit, especially when in the end you're not getting anything back for it. What's normally easier is to in fact sit a useless unit right in front of the nasty one and then wait to see what he does with it while setting up the possible counter charge. Yeah, you flee away he goes his full distance when catching you and then you smack him. Most often though (provided he's not deployed well enough to send something else at it instead) the move will simply stall him and take away some confidence. Its easiest to do with harpies in fact and is a good substitute use for shades (both are small units that can get right in his face with little ill consequence).

You have indeed also pointed out the flaw with big expensive units - just by fleeing away with a unit of fast cav you can take them out of half the game (one turn to charge, one turn to reposition, and one turn to get back near the fight). Its a real strong argument for people to use MSU tactics since none of the units is really a loss if its out of the game for a bit.
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
[llct]kain
Assassin

Post by [llct]kain »

As Vorchild stated this tatic is quite common, and works realy well - you could reduce the costs a bit by using a unit of DR to bait his haevy cav. for 2 turns, before you give your oponnent the chance to overrun a unit of the table.
With this he will have just got destroyed one unit till turn 5 - which is quite acceptable. The bait gives you the opportuinity to move a damaged unit from you into place which suffered from shooting in turn 1 and 2 - just one form of recycling.

I have two annotations to your example:

You declare flee, on 2d6 you get around 6”-8”
A CoC has M7 so is fleeing with 3d6 ;)
Then his turn. (turn 3-4) He obviously has nothing better to do except to destroy the most hated and feared unit you have (RBT). You declare a flee the moves his full move out of the table.

Unfortunatly the rules are clear here, your oponent is forced to move to the abandoned warmachine, and could choose to overrun ....
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

[LLCT]Kain True, thank's. I did stuff like this with my lizzies, but every time thought that it's much moer like DE style of play. (t sorry for the mistakes, I guess my DE were unused far tooo long.)

Vorchild like I said, it's costly but in that rare occasion worth wile.
And I disagree, that you don't get any thing from it. by the time th cavlary id back in action you should have moped up, and it's time to take apart that unit.
Also known as Kanadian
Thalon
Executioner

Post by Thalon »

Another point for DR over COC is the fact that you can't flee if COC goes stupid...

Thalon