What makes Slaanesh magic so good?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Mr_styrofoam
Dark Rider

What makes Slaanesh magic so good?

Post by Mr_styrofoam »

I was just browsing through the Slaanesh magic list, considering starting a CoS, and I did not see why people like it so much. It doesn't seem nearly as good as Dark magic; sure there are a few good spells, but it seems like Dark has a lot more useful spells. What are your thoughts/how do most CoS players use Slaanesh magic?
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

Many actually consider Slaanesh to be the best lore in the game. First off, though the first spell is short range, its very high strength and easy to cast - making it effectively equivalent to doombolt. I don't know about you, but if I had an option of having either chillwind or doombolt for the default spell, I think I'd forgo chillwind. Many of the others are rather powerful tactical spells. Luxirious torment, for example, can cause a good deal of tactical carnage (and damage too) by forcing frenzy on an enemy unit. In the old days of 6th ed it was even better since you would cast it on units you couldn't shoot (RGs and ICs) simply for the damage effect, which is still useful now mind you, but not as sweet as it once was. And its not even RIP.

Delusions IS RIP but takes place before your opponent has a chance to dispel the thing, which can be excessively useful tactically. Torture, yeah, is fairly useless in most cases but every once in a while it can be pretty nice. Spasms is effectively Dominion, yet a lower casting cost and it does a lot more, though not to immune to psycho troops. Excruciation can be seriously useful for many many tactical reasons.

Its not purely a damage lore., but a very tactical lore and in the end, messing up your opponent's tactics is much more valuable than say, throwing 2D6 S4 missiles at his general's unit.
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: What makes Slaanesh magic so good?

Post by Sulla »

Mr_Styrofoam wrote:I was just browsing through the Slaanesh magic list, considering starting a CoS, and I did not see why people like it so much. It doesn't seem nearly as good as Dark magic; sure there are a few good spells, but it seems like Dark has a lot more useful spells. What are your thoughts/how do most CoS players use Slaanesh magic?

Blissful throes; A magic missile. Very short range but notable in that it's strength is high enough to trouble monsters, chariots and knights.

Luxurious torment; Cast this on a weak enemy unit to force them to engage you (frenzy means they can't flee) or cast it on CoK's for ean extra attack from the riders and their mounts. An excellent spell because it can be used on either you or your opponent making it very versatile.

Titillating delusions; Probably the best spell in the game. How much would you be willing to pay to force an enemy to expose his flank to your troops or sacrifice the ability to fire with an artillery piece or move a mage or skirmishers out of cover? Or move a unit out of a building they are holding?

Delectable torture; great psychological value spell if your opponent has a very killy character in his army.

Enrapturing spasms;Think of this as a more powerful version of dominion. Hampered by not working on models immune to psychology. I prefer dominion because of this flaw.

Delicious excrutiation, Makes a friend or foe Unbreakable. Can even be used on a daemonic unit to replace instability. Hampered in that it is remains in play so your opponent can dispel it in your or his phase. Probably the worst spell in the list although still useful.

So, in conclusion, the lore of slaanesh is the best list in the game, not because it does the most damage but because it allows you to dictate your opponent's movement and hinder his fighting ability. Rather than doing a little fairly meaningless damage, this can let you wipe out units wholesale by putting them in untenable situations.
Garluch
Beastmaster

Post by Garluch »

Emagine this:you are a chosen chaos knight, your group is lead by the allmighty lord Archaon on your way to crush some traitor slaanesh elves, suddenly Archaon yells something about a real bathtub with extra strong schampo, and leads you 2 km in that direction, suddenly he becomes angry and starts to slaughter you and your mates, when he is almost done he can see that bathtub again, now 34miles away...
Druchii77
Purveyor of Pain

Post by Druchii77 »

I also would have to add that enrapturing spasms also causes the unit it is cast on to be automatically hit in close combat. Imagine a unit of CoK with an annointed plunging into a big block of infantry and then casting this spell on them. All hits auto hit and then you simply have to wound. It is quite nice.
castrensis in totus res
Fight my Brutehttp://suckerpunch77.mybrute.com
Try Evony!http://zao77s.evony.com
D'jihurccen
Executioner

Post by D'jihurccen »

garluch wrote:Emagine this:you are a chosen chaos knight, your group is lead by the allmighty lord Archaon on your way to crush some traitor slaanesh elves, suddenly Archaon yells something about a real bathtub with extra strong schampo, and leads you 2 km in that direction, suddenly he becomes angry and starts to slaughter you and your mates, when he is almost done he can see that bathtub again, now 34miles away...

That is a truly great response... and it shows just how good slaaneshi lore is at taking your enemies strength and totally screwing it over
Mr_styrofoam
Dark Rider

Post by Mr_styrofoam »

interesting.... any replies in defense of dark magic over slaanesh?
Kida
Undercover Asrai

Post by Kida »

Mr_Styrofoam wrote:interesting.... any replies in defense of dark magic over slaanesh?

Honestly, there can't be any.

Slaanesh lore is the best lore there is, while Dark magic is decent, but nothing spectacular.

Slaanesh lore when used by Druchii (+1 to cast bonus) makes for a nightmare of a magic phase. People fear much more my 9 PD magic phase than Vampire 12 or Tzeentch 16 PD - there just isn't that many spells that you can let be cast and hope for the best, as each will wreck your army...

my Last.fm page in case anyone is interested...
D'jihurccen
Executioner

Post by D'jihurccen »

One problem with dark magic is it can be a little unpredictable, since all the spells are good, but in different ways and for different purposes, and you dont always get the spells that would suit your character best. For example, an anointed with soul stealer would be crazy strong, and very hard to kill, having a decent chance to get his wounds back fighting big infantry units, but maybe you roll doombolt and word of pain, sure its still useful but probably not worth the points in the end. with the lore of slaanesh, every spell is viable to cast with a low level mage, and can really mess up your opponents game plan
Dark moon Host (druchii) w/d/l 9/2/4
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

Mr_Styrofoam wrote:interesting.... any replies in defense of dark magic over slaanesh?

Dark magic is still a good list but a lot more fractured in that is is split 50/50 with damage and disruption spells. Especially with lower level casters you run a real risk of getting innappropriate spells for your enemy like chillwind vs chaos or VC or soul stealer vs all cav armies. On higher level casters it is still a good list as you can get a good spread of spells. If DE could get the seer skill like HE (allows you to choose your spells) Dark would be as good as Slaanesh.