Defend the Sorceress!

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Saulot
Slave on the Altar

Defend the Sorceress!

Post by Saulot »

Hi! I'd like to get some tactics advise from you guys on how to field a DE Sorceress GeneralON a Cold One in 1000 pts. and, essentially, make it work. I posted a simillar thread over at Warseer and the people there were very helpful. We decided on the following Army List:

Lvl 2 Sorceress, CO, WoK, Biting Blade; 206

15 Warriors, Sh, FC; 145

15 Warriors, Sh, FC; 145

5 Dark Riders, RxB, Musician; 127

5 Dark Riders, RxB, Musician; 127

5 Cold One Knights; 145

1 Reaper Bolt Thrower; 100

995 pts.

Now, based on this list (or something very simillar to this), how would you proceed to defeat your enemy and, at the same time, defend your Sorceress?

(I see this army as a Druchii Sorceress' entourage on her way to her new post, up in the northern borders of Naggaroth.)

Thanks. :)
jdgual.multiply.com
Check out my Army Log!
^_^
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

hey welcome to D.net!

one thing, i advise you not to have a sorceress on a Cold one, for if you plan on making her go into combat then i still wouldn't take the Cold one. First of all, it's stupid, meaning if it fails it's test, then you can't cast any spells. two, Cold one is kinda slow. I would reckon you could hide your sorceress in between the DR, thats if you have the model of a sorceress on DS, plus the Ds is much faster, and not stupid. you want this ti be a northen patrol type list? drop a few warrior's get some CoC or some harpies.?
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Saulot
Slave on the Altar

Post by Saulot »

Thanks for the welcome Khelmor Blackspine. :D

Anyway, I really want to try using the Sorceress on a CO first before swapping it for a DS. (i.e. I have that model). I just want to work with this challenge of defending, and hopefully, winning with this general. Is it that impossible to do so?
:?
I don't think it is.
;)
jdgual.multiply.com
Check out my Army Log!
^_^
Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

Challenges abound by just playing Druchii, my friend. No need to make it any harder on yourself. Let me elaborate.

+ CO gives a better ASv.
+ It's a bit stronger in cc.
- It is slower than the DS.
- It sometimes moves erratically because of stupidity.
- Stupidity will also prevent your Sorc casting any spells.
- It is more expensive than the DS.

In short, it's not impossible to win with a CO-mounted Sorc (impossible is nothing! :twisted: ) but by fielding her, you are making life unnecessarily hard for yourself. Not worth it at all, IMO.

Anywayz, good luck.
Vryala Naïlo - WS5 / S5 / T5 / D5 / I4

Equipment: bastard sword of Speed, shield of Defence, repeater (20/20), spear, mace, dagger, Armour of Night, SDC, whip, blowpipe (9/12)
Inventory: amulet of Strength, grapple, grenade x0, smoke x11, map, mage hand, sleep oil x8, cure balms x20, Yori's balms x1, winter gear, old kit, lion mask
Mount: Dark Steed (Blanky), barding, talisman of Protection
Gold: 1735
Skills: Defensive Fighting, Anarin Sarath (2), Basic Ride
Class: Warrior
Ehakir
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ehakir »

I second that
Amen
"Ceterum censeo Ulthuan esse delendam"
-Ehakir

3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win.
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

If you absolutely must put her on a cold one then the unit of knights is the place to be. They should hopefully not be hitting anything that's going to be able to kill them, which will generally mean hitting regular infantry, and that should keep her alive and well. The biting blade strikes me as an odd choice mind you. If you didn't have the wand, I'd suggest you put her with the RBT which is always quite a safe place for a sorc, though in your case you're wasting the wand by being that far back - maybe not though depending on how your opponents like to play, and a war machine that causes fear could be quite fun (barring incidents of stupidity that will drag the machine along).

You really should try the dark steed though and all you need to make the transfer is a horse as you can simply glue her right down onto the thing.
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Venkh
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Venkh »

The best thing you can do is put her in one of your units of warriors with the champion positioned in such a way as to always be able to accept challenges if your opponent maximises.

That said she shouldnt be on a cold one in the first place. The Cold ones S4 will only ever come into play if you charge her into combat. If you are insane enough to charge a sorceress into combat then you are insane enough not to care.

If you are counting on the cold one saving her if you get charged, think again, you have T3 2W model with a 5+ armour save. You wont survive any decent attempt at assasination.

Finally stupidity, you are stupid on Ld 8 which means that it is highly likely that you will fail a test at least once per game. Failing this test will most likely expose your sorceress to deadly shooting, magic or a combat that she cannot flee from.

Sorry, but putting your sorceress on a Cold One is simply a terrible idea. Why GW ever released them together in a blister is anyones guess.

I would wait till you have some bits to order and tag on a cold one knight and a Dark Steed.
Legion noir
Executioner

Post by Legion noir »

I agree with most of the guys as the DS is the better option.

But the biting blade aint going to save her in combat so how about exchanging it to enhance her magic? either a dispel scroll for defence or a power stone to be more agressive?
I must be naughty......its the law!
Prince of arnheim
Renegade Reaver

Post by Prince of arnheim »

I would put her in a unit of Spear Warriors with an Assassin in it to protect her.

Level 2 Scorceress on Cold One
19 Warriors with FC and Shields
Assassin with Manbane and Rune of Khaine

deploy in a 3x7 formation for maximum attacks.

It would work good. I don't know hwo you would armt he Scorceress though. Maybe give her the Wand of Khaindron for this setup.
The_everchosen
Beastmaster
Location: Trying to think of something witty to put in this box

Post by The_everchosen »

I'm sure if you asked your opponent nicely he wouldn't mind you using the CO model as a DS model.
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it - Winston Churchill