Hero/lord with a Hyrda??

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Brachenshire
Executioner

Hero/lord with a Hyrda??

Post by Brachenshire »

I don't know if this topic has been addressed before....but can a lord or hero join up with the hydra's handlers and be apart of that unit??
Dread_knight_999
Warrior

Post by Dread_knight_999 »

i dont think so not a 100% but pretty sure you cant it would say in the army book if you could like with the chariot
Lethalis
Loremaster

Post by Lethalis »

Nope, the rule 'Controlled' states that only beastmasters and apprentices can be around the Hydra.
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

Lethalis wrote:Nope, the rule 'Controlled' states that only beastmasters and apprentices can be around the Hydra.

Exactly. That being said, if you want a shot at taking on a unit head on with this kind of a combo, you can add the beastmaster with the web of shadows and issue a challenge after charging in the front. If you get lucky, that'll score a few wounds for you and the hydra and apprentices should then be able to win the combat by a couple for you (and after that, it should get a bit easier to stick in the combat).

Now, that's just against basic infantry mind you and its a bit of a one shot pseudo-wonder. ;)
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Brachenshire
Executioner

Post by Brachenshire »

I never used Web of Shadows, but I may try the combo of beastmaster with hydra unit and give him something else nasty. I have to look at the book and decide..I am not convinced of the effectiveness of WoS
Cenyu
Khaindar

Post by Cenyu »

Its effectiveness varies wildly depending on which opponent you face.

For example it is an excellent tool to rip apart a fragile wizard or accumulate wounds on a weakly armoured and not too tough unit champion in a challenge. On the other hand - against a tank Dwarf the usefulness is diminuished somewhat, of course. :D
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

According to the DE book (thanks GW for another crap-tastic effort here) a Bastmaster character may only join a War Hydra unit AFTER one of the regular handlers has been killed. So for the other 99% of the time, the answer is no, a character cannot join.
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

phierlihy wrote:According to the DE book (thanks GW for another crap-tastic effort here) a Bastmaster character may only join a War Hydra unit AFTER one of the regular handlers has been killed. So for the other 99% of the time, the answer is no, a character cannot join.

:? I don't know how you got that interpretation. :roll:
Lethalis
Loremaster

Post by Lethalis »

phierlihy wrote:According to the DE book (thanks GW for another crap-tastic effort here) a Bastmaster character may only join a War Hydra unit AFTER one of the regular handlers has been killed. So for the other 99% of the time, the answer is no, a character cannot join.

I disagree. It says that a beastmaster on foot can join the unit. Replacing a lost apprentice if you wish, but they can still join.
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

I disagree. It says that a beastmaster on foot can join the unit. Replacing a lost apprentice if you wish, but they can still join

I agree with this, otherwise you would have your BM runnning around following them waiting for an Apprentice to be knocked off so he/she can take their place. Seems a bit silly like that.
Want some tips on controlling those frenzied units? http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=71791&highlight=
Darthken
Assassin
Location: Australia, the place where kangaroo's hop down the street with a can of fosters in their pouch

Post by Darthken »

yes the BM can join the hydra at any time
i had to "bite the bullet" once and ring the rulz boys at 'GW and they confirmed it
you don't know the power of the darkside
Manaurith
Black Guard

Post by Manaurith »

the question is aprentices get M6 tecnicly when with the hydra

would a beastmaster get the same or would the unit need to slow down.
Time to toss the dice
Fleshcollector
Noble

Post by Fleshcollector »

It would slow down.

I guess once you are no longer an Apprentice, your old age has slowed you a bit.
Excuse me. I've come to harvest your flesh.