Corsair Special Charicter

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Dezar
Slave on the Altar

Corsair Special Charicter

Post by Dezar »

Ive been told about this but I have not seen any proof is there is or was a Corsair Special like the Executioners special charicter Tullaris and the Black Guard Koran.

I was just wondering if there is such thing as a Corsair Special Charicter.

If there is, is it a model is there any thing about him?
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

There isn't.
for the same reason why there isn't Dark Rider or Warrior special character. Being corsair is nothing special in Druchii society, everyone can be one.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

That's not a very good reason to be fair. Special characters are exceptional individuals. They'd shine no matter what context they were in, not because they have some unit specific special rules.
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.
Count zero
Cold One Knight

Post by Count zero »

i guess it could be a well renowned corsair cpatin, but then he would maybe stay with the boat?

as you can give the characters SDC's you could make one of them a corsair.

it would be nice in a way, but the DE already have several well establised SC's so i think we will see them again rather than brand new ones.

i dont belive the HE, empire or VC got any brand new sc's?
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

Perhaps one of the three Controller's of Karond Kar for example?
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Its easy enough to make a Corsair charactor as it is and there are not any in the background, so no we are not geting one. Almost certainly.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

This one time there were no Wild Hunt or robot horses or rocket batteries or even Ogre Kingdoms in the background.

This one time.....
ImageImageImageImage
Limenix
Assassin

Post by Limenix »

I would like a corsair Special character.
Something in the lines of Mengil.
Some renowened corsair captain that would lead a unique assault team. That is he would be deployed together with a unit of corsairs with some special ability.
Ambush perhaps?
The Druchii way of the Warrior:

When you must RUN ..... FIGHT!!!
When you must FIGHT .... WOUND!!!
When you must WOUND .... CRIPPLE!!!
When you must CRIPPLE .... KILL!!!
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Arquinsiel wrote:This one time there were no Wild Hunt or robot horses or rocket batteries or even Ogre Kingdoms in the background.

This one time.....

And please note that there is not a Wild hunt special characor (excluding Orion who was in the background previously) Nor one one a mechanical horse. Ogre Kingdomes was a new race and so needed some. I do admit that GW are more than capable of inventing new background and thats all well and good, the game would get boring to me if they didn't. But considering that we already have a raft of charactors that already exist I doubt they will create a new one. Particualy in view of the fact that if you just give a noble a Sea dragon cloak and two hand weapons you have a Corsair charactor.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Gentleman of Moderation
Bloodknife
Trainee Warrior

Post by Bloodknife »

Well it might be a neat idea, I see no real point to having a corsair special character. I think that the fact you can make the equivalent out of a noble is good enough for me.
Death and slavery to all those who oppose us!
Saint of m
Highborn

Post by Saint of m »

Currently, you could add a beastmaster to that list since the raiding party sinario sayss the GENERAL MUST HAVE A SDC, and their the only ones out side of the nobles and highborns that can have one.

Heck, if you think about it, a beast master is a perfect carecter for te corsairs (two hand weapos, Light armor, Sea Dragon cloak.)

BUt like every one ells said, theyr are nothing pecial. They may be like the marines, since they are the best of the best when it comes to reagulare soldier and how they are glorified by other DRuchii, but your average soldier is not going to get that much renown unless he's a Reavver, or a Navle officer.

I know where you care commng from, because I have the same idea about a shadecharecter, but it's the same deal with the dark str cloak from the slannedsh list.
Camaris
Black Guard

Post by Camaris »

Didn't Menghil start out as a corsair?
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

Fingol darkwater
Witch King's Envoy

Post by Fingol darkwater »

I'm trying to wrap my brain around the notion that a unit in our army isn't anything special. You all do realize just how long it takes to train even a low rank soldier right? Corsairs have to be fully capable sailors, warriors, and raiders. That's nothing to scoff at. Every navy captain is receives the same training as a corsair even if they don't serve as one. Plus, succesful corsairs have the potential to become rich as hell, thus they'd move up in the ranks faster.
Druchii Discussion and History mod

Behind every mask, is a man
who can't live in his own skin.
He lives by the flask.
He bathes in his past
and dies of his own sins
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

a) raiding is seen as "easy and dangerous" way to earn wealth, many Druchii youth take that route. It's not elite executioner, anyone can be sailor and warrior and elves have a lot of time to practice.
b) every, and I mean *every* Druchii noble is supposed to lead an overseas raid as a form of "rite of passage", that makes *all* Druchii nobles corsair captains (at one point or the other in their lives)
7th edition army book:

Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

Drainial Shadowheart wrote:Missing the point entirely.
I shall repeat: friggin' ROBOT HORSE IN FANTASY GAME!

*sigh*

GW == retards. If they can add random stupid crap then they can add random sensible crap too. It's just marginally less likely to work right or be outweighed by stupid decisions elsewhere.
ImageImageImageImage
Archdukechocula
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Archdukechocula »

Arquinsiel wrote:That's not a very good reason to be fair. Special characters are exceptional individuals. They'd shine no matter what context they were in, not because they have some unit specific special rules.

I'm with Arq here. All a special character represents is a truly exceptional individual. It doesn't much matter what their conventional warhammer unit equivalent is. I could easily see fluff justification for a badass corsair raider. Maybe a low ranking corsair of such exceptional battlefield prowess and slavetaking skills that he was promoted beyond his social standing to become a captain. It's really not that hard to write such a thing in. And it creates opportunities for interesting special rules. Maybe all corsairs gain the ambush special rules when he is present or some such. I see it as a perfectly reasonable and potentially interesting idea for a special character.

People seem to have this surprisingly narrow view when it comes to fluff. If it's not already in the fluff, it can't happen. Of course, this is a pretty retarded viewpoint, given that if this were actually held up as a standard, we would never have developing fluff of any kind. Before the sundering, there were no dark elves. But eventually, there was a sundering, so there were darkelves. The world evolves, things change, and new ideas can be written in. All it requires is a tasteful fluff explanation that makes a sufficient nod to the way things were, and adequately explains why a given situation has changed or is exceptional. It really isn't that difficult.
"I'd never join any club that would have the likes of me as a member."
Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

Post by Grogsnotpowwabomba »

A little birdie told me 7th Edition will see a Corsair character... ;)

Dalamar wrote:a) raiding is seen as "easy and dangerous" way to earn wealth, many Druchii youth take that route. It's not elite executioner, anyone can be sailor and warrior and elves have a lot of time to practice.
b) every, and I mean *every* Druchii noble is supposed to lead an overseas raid as a form of "rite of passage", that makes *all* Druchii nobles corsair captains (at one point or the other in their lives)

Who friggin cares? None of this means there couldn't be an exceptional or especially famous Corsair...
3 bots slain in Khaine's name.
Archdukechocula
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Archdukechocula »

GrogsnotPowwabomba wrote:A little birdie told me 7th Edition will see a Corsair character... ;)

You know, if you keep refering to your badminton equipment as a source of rumours, eventually someone is going to call the asylum.
"I'd never join any club that would have the likes of me as a member."
Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

Post by Grogsnotpowwabomba »

Hehe...I'm only protecting the guilty... 8)
3 bots slain in Khaine's name.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

If there was especially famous and exceptional corsair... he'd probably get a promotion somewhere along the line. That's what I mean.
7th edition army book:

Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

I would imagine the Black Ark Captains to be somewhat outside the military heirarchy of Naggaroth. I would imagine that the military heirarchy would only be terribly strict within the walls of the six cities, and at the northern watchtowers. It's concievable that Malekith could only 'promote' a Black Ark Captain with great difficulty - such a Captian would most likely very much rather go on raiding. I would think him more likely to reward such brilliant individuals with material gifts, like estate, slaves, weapons and suchlike.

Layne.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Akimoto
Noble

Post by Akimoto »

I agree with Layne, I've always pictured corsairs as outside the hierarchy of normal DE's, and would stay with their ship/raiding party until they choose to leave. I mean come on, they're pirates, who'd give that up for a promotion? honestly.

but yeah, it's not like it would be that hard to make fluff for a particularly evil corsair captain, give either/any/what ever the ambush rule, fear causing, allow him and a unit he joins to take prisoners, adding additional VP's for units they capture. It would be entertaining to use at the very least
Yori Temel -- group 22

WS5 / S4 / T5 / D4 / I4

Equipment - Repeater crossbow, double-bladed spear, Light Armour, Heavy armour, helm, spiky vambraces, (stored: Zukhil sword, Shield)
Skills - Awareness, basic heal
Other: 1831gc, The Dragons Eye Amulet, Talisman of light, Healing Talisman, 15x healing balms, boots, gloves, woolen cloak, hatchet, backpack, rope, a Flint and Tinder, bedroll.
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

As an abstract perhaps he's a Noble-level character who displayed some merit while on a raid as an enlisted corsair and is now leading the landing forces from his ark as a "promotion."
ImageImageImageImage
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

The point I was trying to make wasn't that we shouldn't have developing fluff, we should. There is no reason not to have a corsair special charactor but there is no reason for one either. And given the number of posibilities we already have and looking at trends in other GW books it seems unlikly that they will invent a new one. This thread is not suposed to be about wheather its a good idea or not its about wheather GW are making one or not. And I dont think that its likly.

Plus a great Corsair captain might be given command of an ark owned by a noble, that seems like a more likly method of advancment for a commoner who is brilliant. If there is a noble who is rich and powerful and has an ark but doesn't want to captain it themselves then they may well get in such a figure, prehaps reasonign that they will be less likly to commit barraty.

Gentleman of Moderation