Is it worth to start Druchii before the new book ?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Scareypete
Beastmaster

Post by Scareypete »

Some people have a bone or 2 to pick with demonette harpie conversions... the demonettes are armed and don't have the wicked claws... harpies are unarmed.

Aside from that i love the Big Nippled Harpies. They look liek a stylized prettier version of the Greek mythological beast... why does everything have to be about sex with you kids huh? Just cause Demonettes have more nipples doesn't make them better.
Saint of m
Highborn

Post by Saint of m »

My harpies are mostly witch elves with green stuf and furrie wingss (I didn't like the exposed parts of the harpies, wanted to feild them, and got bored grrenstuffing bathing suits for em.)

Warriors should remain the same, shades wil probably remain the same, we are hoping harpies will change (some people think they are ugly. Personaly I saw the old, old ones in the order catalog, and they look more like furries and stone gagoyals then beutiful winged vixins.)
Allerox
Slave on the Altar

Post by Allerox »

I'm one of those that use winged Demonettes instead of Arpies.
I make this conversion because I don't like the Arpies models, I find their hands so big and out of proportion, I also think that, in the DE BG is write that Arpies could be the spirit of the Witches and are too charming...I don't find Arpies so charming.
The choice of Demonettes instead of Witch (another good alternative) is because Demonette have clawed feet while Witches don't have it and so request a biggest work with green stuff...

About the first question (start or not the DE now) I think that you can...
Is quite sure that GW re-make
-Cold Ones
-Corsairs (in plastic model)
but there aren't any other certinty.
I however think they will do:
- Dark Riders (I like them but they are quite old)
- new plastic kit for heroes
and I hope thy will re-make Arpies...I found them too feral...
If you really want to start DE I think the best you can do is to write an army list, trying it withot model checking what are the units you really need. Once you find them you start to buy only the ones you like or you are sure the don't make again.
Last edited by Allerox on Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Saint of M wrote:My harpies are mostly witch elves with green stuf and furrie wingss (I didn't like the exposed parts of the harpies, wanted to feild them, and got bored grrenstuffing bathing suits for em.)

Warriors should remain the same, shades wil probably remain the same, we are hoping harpies will change (some people think they are ugly. Personaly I saw the old, old ones in the order catalog, and they look more like furries and stone gagoyals then beutiful winged vixins.)

I doubt the harpies will change as they are a 0-1 choice and the current figures are great with a little work. Certainly no place for demonettes in my army as the current witches are just about perfect as well. A plastic chariot, new shades, and new sorc/nob/assasin is about the only change i'd like to see.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Gladeius
Shade

Post by Gladeius »

I'm going to redo my DE army when the new book comes out.
New paint scheme, new cold ones, and other new models and such.
Void
Trainee Warrior

Post by Void »

i wouldnt be to bothered by starting an army now, cos if they do the same thing as the did with HE which is just to change the special and some chars then i would (and am currently) get a core painted up then when new models come out jst add them in. of course this could all fall in if they completely if they re-do the entire range! ah well, i like the warriors we've got now. And whats life without a few risks!!!
V
"Time, its an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."-Ford, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.
Skot
Warrior

Post by Skot »

Ok guys - it happened. I placed second on a tournament and could pick a "basic" blister pack as a prize and since I already have all I need for my orcs I took 3 Executioners (good to start the army with best looking models but I must say Black Guard looks really impressive as well!)

I'm a Druchii now (well baby Druchii for few months I guess) - I have to finish a lot of orcs yet so no paining for now... but it will be there :)

I really was undecided between Empire and Dark Elves and since I have the first models now the decision is made - I feel somehow relief - good to have the choice behind my back :)

Swamp DE army of Doom - here I come :)
Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

I use Chaos Furies for Harpies - bit of added putty conversion - and NEVER met anyone who had a problem with that.
Vryala Naïlo - WS5 / S5 / T5 / D5 / I4

Equipment: bastard sword of Speed, shield of Defence, repeater (20/20), spear, mace, dagger, Armour of Night, SDC, whip, blowpipe (9/12)
Inventory: amulet of Strength, grapple, grenade x0, smoke x11, map, mage hand, sleep oil x8, cure balms x20, Yori's balms x1, winter gear, old kit, lion mask
Mount: Dark Steed (Blanky), barding, talisman of Protection
Gold: 1735
Skills: Defensive Fighting, Anarin Sarath (2), Basic Ride
Class: Warrior
Blackguardmaster13
Slave on the Altar

Post by Blackguardmaster13 »

Absolutely you should start them! From what I understand, most of the models will be unchanging other than those already listed.
"We are 'the Leviathons', the Black Guard of Malekith, the bodyguards of Captain Scythian. Our hatred for our foes is as bottomless as the greatest abyss in the deepest sea."
Handmaiden
Beastmaster

Post by Handmaiden »

No way in hell am i buying a Chariot (my current army has zero atm) , now that I've seen the new Cold Ones :shock:

So my advice is to stay well away from anything product with "Cold one" in it's name until Christmas 2008, as the models look to be far superior and you'll probably not want to use the slow looking reptile ones anymore.

I dont mind having both the old and new edition cold ones in the same force though..regiment even..only because i am lazy as hell. lol.
Right hand of khaine
Shade

Post by Right hand of khaine »

It depends on what sparked your idea to collect Dark Elves in the first place. If you just like the fluff and want a go at seeing what you can do in relation to painting the miniatures and putting an army together...then why not?...afterall, the majority of your army would probably still be useable when the next edition army book comes out.....

If on the other hand you are creating your army tactically, then it is difficult to say because nobody knows for sure how the 7th edition army book will pan out and how that will affect the army gaming wise.

Just think about it carefully, but do not be afraid to get stuck in with some elements of the army such as nobles etc...afterall, you can always convert them to make them look good regardless and the chances are that only a few things will be changed model wise.

Besides, you already have an army to game with in the meantime.

Right Hand Of Khaine.
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Handmaiden wrote:So my advice is to stay well away from anything product with "Cold one" in it's name until Christmas 2008

Have you noticed what your title is right now? :lol:

It wouldn't surprise me if the one we've seen is for a character - it's the only Cold One we've seen so far, and compared to some of the other models we saw at the same time (for daemons) is a bit odd.

I'd expect GW to concentrate on plastic core units and characters, like they have with VC and HE. They let the travesty of the Black Knights continue, so I wouldn't get too disappointed if GW doesn't redo the Cold One.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++