How can I beat 1000 points of Orcs?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Rogo
Trainee Warrior

How can I beat 1000 points of Orcs?

Post by Rogo »

I had a battle where The guy i was against had a shaman and a Giant. I jus couldnt beat him.
My Dark Riders did well though but i just couldn't win. Any Ideas?
I have;
1X Noble on cold one with Armour of Darkness and web of shadows and a lance
1X Sorceress level 2
2X 15 Warriors with spears and shields
1X 10 warriors with RXB's and shields
1X 5 Dark Riders with RXB'S
1X Reaber Bolt Thrower

Thanks
Rogo
When one good man is hurt all others who are good must suffer with him. - Euripides
That is all well and good, however we are Druchii and we want Man and Traitorous Elves to suffer alike.
Lextalionis
Beastmaster

Post by Lextalionis »

Is that your models or the list you took or both? With that list, I think I would struggle for a win. Maybe you could put the noble in the unit of dark riders and charge them into the unit containing the shaman but this will slow the unit alot so may not be advisible, it also will probably bounce of them unless you get lucky so you might want to combine charges. But combining charges may be hard to do with only one quick unit and the shaman will spend all the time you spend setting up spell casting. Maybe you could adjust the list.

Drop your sorceress down a level and give her seal of ghrond. Take both magic items off your noble and give him HA, sheild and SDC. That gives you a 1+ AS vs combat and 0+ vs shooting and saves you some points. I'm not sure if you have the models or money available but you could drop a unit of warriors and use a small unit of CoK with the points you have saved. That will add some punch to your list.

Example list.

Noble
Cold one
HA. SDC. Sheild. Lance

Sorc
SoG

15 Warriors
Sheilds

10 Crossbowmen
Sheilds

5 Dark Riders
RxB

6CoK
FC?

Bolt Thrower

I dont have my book with me but thats roughly 1000..... I hope.
More extreme changes could be dropping the sorceress. This will free up points for another unit of dark riders or maybe a chariot.
Lextalionis
Shade
WS:5 S:2 T:4 D:5 I:3
Basic Stealth. Stealth. Precision Shot. Rapid Fire. Acrobatics
Equipped; Short Sword, 2xDagger, Repeater Crossbow, Repeater Crossbow Pistol, Shade Cloak

225 G
Slanderbot
Warrior

Re: How can I beat 1000 points of Orcs?

Post by Slanderbot »

I take it this is the list you used so I will go off of that.
Rogo wrote:1X Noble on cold one with Armour of Darkness and web of shadows and a lance
-First off I would drop the Armour of Darkness and give him SDC/HA/Shield (cheaper and just as effective). You can keep the web of shadows if you want but you may not find much use in it since most of his damage comes from the +2 str on the charge anyway.

1X Sorceress level 2
-A lone lvl 2 sorc without items will only do a little in 1k games, it will still get a few spells of but not much more than that. I suggest either giving her some items (like a cloak, or powerstone) or making her lvl 1 and giving her scrolls/seal of grond for magic protection.

2X 15 Warriors with spears and shields
-These are fine if you work them together well, If you have more models I would change one of these squads to another dark rider unit or into some corsairs or a chariot or witches or something like that.

1X 10 warriors with RXB's and shields
-This unit is good, this + 1 block of spear warriors is more than enough for anvils in a 1k list imo

1X 5 Dark Riders with RXB'S
-very needed, if you find the points a mus would help these guys out alot with their rallies. As said above if you could get another one of these it would help you alot (even riders without rxb's helps alot with flank charges and warmachines and such)

1X Reaber Bolt Thrower
-This is ok for a 1k list, it might be destroyed pretty fast since it is the only one so if you keep it I would guard it with the rxb warriors. If you have a chariot or something you could swap it out for that (more mobility) but that is for your to decide.
Bacteria: The only culture some people have.
Luck is the residue of design

Win-Draw-Loss
Dark elves 32-1-0
40k (Retired)
Iron Warriors 52-1-0
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

Bring some Cold one Chariots. Impact hits and fear will help you break those tough Orcs. If he brings a giant, then I would keep the Reaper Bolt Thrower and for the Shaman, well the Web of Shadows could be helpful against the Shaman.

On a side Note: Is it an Orc Shaman or Goblin Shaman?
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Bloodyangel
Black Guard

Post by Bloodyangel »

Orcs aren't that bad. One of the more balanced armies out there, in fact.

Shoot the giant. Even normal crossbowmen can put a dent in it. The bolt throwers will do the rest.

The shaman... well... that's tricky... Bring some dispel scrolls... or if you're feeling like a jerk... slap the ring of hotek on a noble who rides a peg or dark steed... and just flutter around next to the unit he's hiding in. (and if he's not hiding in a unit... run him down!) The orc miscast table is brutal.

Cold One Knights are expensive for a 1000 point game. Plus, they lose the perk of the unreliability of his units, with stupidity of your own. I personally wouldn't use them for this, but each player feels differently about them. Chariots, while stupid... are more feasible... as they are cheaper. Take two, and maybe slap your general in one. I've had great success with slapping a BSB with the war banner into a chariot. A chariot with CR is particularly shocking to most people...
Anyone looking for awesome art, here's the girl to see... her stuff is amazing!

http://www.angelfire.com/rebellion/fuju ... index.html
Azurious
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Azurious »

my favourite list for 1000 pts is

2 lvl 2 sorcs
2 units of 5 dark riders
2 chariots
6 harpies
and 2 bolt throwers

it hits 1k bang on the head and iv found it to be very manuverable and pack quite a punch on the offensive.
the problem i think your having is that your list very defensive in nature with only the bolt thrower being able to deal with the giant this as previously said you could sort that out by shuffling some points out of spearmen and your noble and taking some knights or a chariot, or possibly another bolt thrower