New to the Dark Kindred

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Alernas malvae
Slave on the Altar

New to the Dark Kindred

Post by Alernas malvae »

Hello all to start. I am looking forward to starting my DE army soon (probably not until new book comes out in August) and was wondering if there were any general hints to help with army construction. I'm looking to build a force loyal to the Witch King and highly mobile. Are Cold Ones as deadly/Cool as they look? Is there a unit/magical item i should generally try to avoid? what is your never leave home without it model/unit/character? Thank you in advance and my apologies if this is outta place.
United, we shall bring swift death to all those who appose us.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Highly mobile - easy, focus on dark riders, shades and cold ones (knights and chariots) Dark Elves are the most mobile army in the game IMO so it's not too hard to make an army based around that

Cold one chariots are as deadly as they look... knights tend to disappoint but in right circumstances they are very sharp tools in the box.

unit? for now avoid Black Guard, they are awesome models but fade in comparison to other rare choices.

never leave home without? for me it would be Dark Riders, at least two units of them, their versatility is just amazing.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Alernas malvae
Slave on the Altar

Post by Alernas malvae »

Thank you. I have 2 units of 5 dark riders, a noble on a chariot plus 2 more chariots and 10 Knights led by a noble in my 1500 quick list. i want to prove a dark elf army can be done without bolt throwers.
United, we shall bring swift death to all those who appose us.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

No need to prove that, I often play without bolt throwers and I'm quite successful with that. War Hydrae!
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Dark elf player
Warrior

Post by Dark elf player »

Hello and welcome, I hope that you find this site most enjoyable. I know that I'am. I'm afraid that I cannot give you any help on army building since I'm new to DE as well, but I already have a general idea of what I will do.
Diffrence between a HE and a DE when they lose at a card game. A HE will sit ina corner and pout...a DE will wind up slitting your throat and robe ya of all of your stuff.
Saint of m
Highborn

Post by Saint of m »

Custom make your harpies when you go to get em (not alot of people like the current ones for one reason or another.) Warriors should be ok, crossbowmen should be ok.

Wait untill Augest for the following: All other heros from the DE line up, Cold One Knights, corsairs, hydras. We might be getting plastic modles by then. We'll be also getting nnew charecter modles for several of the normal and special units.

Beast masters are pretty up in the air right now (they might be taken out as an hero choice, they might not.)
Rogo
Trainee Warrior

Post by Rogo »

You don't need to have bolt throwers firing 6 bolts at 3+ (not inc. mods) and a -2 to save is enough to cause problems for even dwarfs. I'm gonna play safe until i have more experience (and corsairs) and until you have played a few battles i'd recommend you do too. Good Luck

Rogo
When one good man is hurt all others who are good must suffer with him. - Euripides
That is all well and good, however we are Druchii and we want Man and Traitorous Elves to suffer alike.
Nightblade183
Assassin

Post by Nightblade183 »

I feel that many DE players underesimate corsairs (either that or I am just really lucky with them) I like the mobility of the DE most of all and I finally got some DR!! They are so vesatile I feel they must be included in almost, if not every, DE army. Also I like the 2+ AS of the COK so much that I never leave without them either usually 1 unit of 6 or 7 as a decently fast hammer. Shades or Harpies (or both) should go in most DE armies one small unit of 5-7 tends to work well. As for the rest many like chariots, but I don't have any in my collection :( O well Witches are just as fun IMO.
...__i___
...))))) r
.\OOOOO/
~~~~~~~~~
We can't possibly be the only people on this forum who love plundering and pillaging can we? Come join the Brotherhood of The Coast, and raid til your heart's content.

Beeing ilitterit makes dis forem stewpid

8th Edition Game Tally
W/L/D
2/1/1