The new guy- advice on DE vs high elfs

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Dark elf player
Warrior

The new guy- advice on DE vs high elfs

Post by Dark elf player »

Hello again! As i said before I'm very excited to be a part of this site. I have a friend who plays high elves. One of the only things in his army that scares me is his character Telcies(sp?). Does amy one have any tips on beating them and their leader?
Diffrence between a HE and a DE when they lose at a card game. A HE will sit ina corner and pout...a DE will wind up slitting your throat and robe ya of all of your stuff.
Garluch
Beastmaster

Post by Garluch »

Well, if you are after a draw or a minor loss, then you must cheat, all other acivements against HE exept loss is impossible without the help of the dark gods+khaine+Gav Thrope

But if you want to have a chance just bring out those fast troops like DR and Harpies...
Krupp
Executioner

Post by Krupp »

Chariots, Knights, any monsters, rbts these all work well against High Elves. If you have a dragon, bust him out as he gets Hatred too, same with a manticore.

I'd stay away from units like executioners & black guard as they will die too easly in CC.

There's no reason you can't massacre High Elves, just some of our infantry arn't viable against them.
Crawd
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Crawd »

garluch wrote:Well, if you are after a draw or a minor loss, then you must cheat, all other acivements against HE exept loss is impossible without the help of the dark gods+khaine+Gav Thrope

That's false, totally false.

I played 4 games against HE and got 2 solid victory and got massacred twice.

The best strategy against the new HE is to be careful. Swordmasters, White Lions and nobles are dangerous, try to avoid them as much as you can. Against those, kill them with RBTs, magic or RXBs.

If you have to charge those units, make sure that you charge them with Chariots, they are your best friend to kill as much as you can before they strike, If you managed to kill enough to avoid a strike back, you almost won the fight.

Another good thing to do is to avoid single charges, you must try to do as much combo charge as possible, if possible combined with Chariots or knights.

Here's the list I played since a while: http://druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=53148 (I should edit my little change: 1 WE for 1 harpy but that's all)

So yes it is possible to win against HE you have to make sure that you have a good chance to break the unit before charging.
Dark elf player
Warrior

Thank you guys for the advice and heads up. They are really appreciated. Please continue to give advice.
Diffrence between a HE and a DE when they lose at a card game. A HE will sit ina corner and pout...a DE will wind up slitting your throat and robe ya of all of your stuff.
Dreadlord taylindril
Dark Rider

Post by Dreadlord taylindril »

I played the new High Elves a few times and I fined at the moment they are veary over confedent. Use that aginest them, I have and held my own.

I agree with Crawd, combined charges and use as much cunning as you can.

Hope that helps>
it is time for us to make war on the Asur; shed blood in khaine's name.
hail king malekith

dreadlord taylindril of hag graef
Rosac
Warrior

Post by Rosac »

I am surprised noone has mentioned this, but since they strike first all the time, there is no disadvantage for great weapon wielding troops compared to average warriors. so heres my idea for a few units/characters.

20 Executioners, full command,led by a BSB with heavy armour, SDC and the hydra banner. this totals : 435 pts howver, this is a unit that has 9 str 5 attacks and the nobles 4 stregnth 4 attacks with re rolls to hit against high elves. combined with a cauldron of blood this combo could be very nasty. (possibly beardy)

here is another combo.

noble with lifetaker, great weapon, armour of blood and SDC.- 128 pts

his lifetaker will take out at least 1 HE per turn as he advances, and will hack them to pieces when he reaches them. This brings me onto my final point.

take lots of warriors with repeater cbows, as they have a high rate of fire which can thin HE units with ease (with the exception of white lions)

hope this has helped.

happy HE hunting.

rosac
Dreadlord taylindril
Dark Rider

Using Executioners is not a bad idear, but what about repeater crossbowmen with shields. All the advanterges of hand weapons and shields and can shoot.

so what about a line of warriors shooting, delaying your charges till the last minute. Reform into ranks then with the right timeing combine your charges.

Defencive I Know; but antill are new army book it seems that the way we have to play it.
hail king malekith

Crawd
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Crawd »

rosac wrote:I am surprised noone has mentioned this, but since they strike first all the time, there is no disadvantage for great weapon wielding troops compared to average warriors. so heres my idea for a few units/characters.

20 Executioners, full command,led by a BSB with heavy armour, SDC and the hydra banner. this totals : 435 pts howver, this is a unit that has 9 str 5 attacks and the nobles 4 stregnth 4 attacks with re rolls to hit against high elves. combined with a cauldron of blood this combo could be very nasty. (possibly beardy)

The unit of your executionners isn't that good against HE because they only have 5+ AS. So that you charge or not, you'll lose too much Executionners before you use them and if you don't manage to break the unit, you have good chances to lose 435 point when 2 chariots for 194 points will surely do better (2 x 1D6 + 1 S5 impact hits)

I wouldn't use almost 650 points for 1 units (I counted the cauldron in). Like I said, Chariots and Knights are good because you can avoid lots of wounds with them and even the cold ones can use Hatred to hit which gives you more S4 hits that will help you to kill more models.
Dreadlord taylindril
Dark Rider

I agree with Crawd.
hail king malekith

Dark elf player
Warrior

I would also have to agree with Crawd on this one.
Rosac
Warrior

Post by Rosac »

shrugs, maybe I just like executioners, and guys, dont make an entire post with I agree with .... whowever on it , it slows my computer down a bit :(

rosac

ps, i do like chariots as well, and think that executioners are one the best units around, IMO.
Crawd
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Crawd »

Rosac, I didn't say that Executionners are bad but against the ASF rules, you they aren't that good because they are too fragile to charge or get charged against HE.
Dark elf player
Warrior

Ya, I love executioners! Their looks, their stats...amazing. It is quite a bummer that they are too fragile.