Defeating undead.

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Loopyloops
Corsair

Defeating undead.

Post by Loopyloops »

In a 2250 point game...a match versus undead is normally a death sentence for an illprepaired player...

well this tournaments, my first draw was a VC..one with 13pd a turn...

My army list contained a High sorc, and three nobles, all on cold ones...for this exact reason. I had blocks of infantry, two CoC, a small unit of CoK, and the other normal picks (ie, 2x rbt, 2x 5 dark rides, et cetra)

My tactic....as his was to basically create masses of zombies and outnumber, auto break me...was to put the nobles in the block infantry, to act as an anvil unit and prevent auto breaking from fear.

Denied.

I put my nobles on their coldones in my infantry units, and my CoK and CoC held their hearts...

I came away, due to combined charges and such, with a complete victory...

mind you, my general with the draich of power managed to KB his general the third turn. He thought his unit of grave gard was a subtle hammer unit...ha...right.
Witch Elves can skirmish; it's on the box.
Lhel
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Lhel »

Not quite sure where you're going with this...?
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

To defeat undead.... WITCH ELVES FTW
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Lhel wrote:Not quite sure where you're going with this...?

Yep, the message could be delivered in a somewhat clearer fashion, I guess. :lol:

I suppose he just wanted to share his strategy on defeating the new VC.

Anyways, good job, Loopyloops! :D

Bye
Thanee
Irtehdar
Assassin

Post by Irtehdar »

When going against undead focused around massive zombie units and good zombie creation fear is the greatest concern. Ld 9 Cold ones is quite reliable so yeah. When im fighting against undeads I generally do roughly the same. If I cause fear too my enemy looses his greatest weapon.
I havent fought the new VC myself so thanks for the post :D
At the very least you have shown that this tactic still works. I was worrying if it would as I havent had a chance to look closer into the new VC book yet.
Daddy! I sorta kinda had an accident... I was playing with my slave and it sorta... Umm... It's arm fell off!
*sobs*

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"

Any idiot can measure strenght. Against properly played MSU you must measure something you cannot see.
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Just don't let the Vampire characters in the units kill your Cold One mounted characters. ;)

Bye
Thanee
Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

Post by Grogsnotpowwabomba »

Cauldron of Blood rocks against Vampires as well, especially in conjunction with Witch Elves. They will not autobreak from Fear since they cannot lose their Frenzy, and the rerolls to wound will make it even easier to assassinate mages with Dark Riders/Harpies/DP NObles and weaken the magic phase.
3 bots slain in Khaine's name.
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

Problem is, a smart undead player doesn't need to put any vamps in the frontlines at all. In fact, I don't know why he would ever put his lord in the front lines when he can be a lvl4 with all the spells in whatever lore he chooses. better to keep him in the rear spamming invocations or vanhel's while he sends forward hardcore units or a wight king (even the awesome wight king BSB with the regen banner) to target your heroes.