arcane/enchanted item weirdness

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Grez90
The Tamer of Sea Dragons

Post by Grez90 »

ooh i have found one decent combo DA. but its only for morathi. if she uses her dark sword then for each wound she causes, you reduce the opponents s,t,a by 1. if any reach 0, then he/she dies. morathi can also use an arcane and enchanted item. so i have equipped her with black staff, to maximize the magic phase, and the potion of strength, which means in 1 turn, she can have 3 ws5 str6 attacks, and if any wound then the stats are reduced. i'm sitting here imagining morathi charging a slann which has 1 attack by the way lol. if i cause a wound on a slann, then it dies. thats probs 500 points gone in 1 attack. some of you might say the heartrender is better, i would agree, but at 45points, it is 20points more expensive than the deathpeircer which does the same thing !conf!
Vonkrieglitz
Beastmaster

Post by Vonkrieglitz »

Focus Familiar is one of the greatest items in the entire list. I run a Lv 4, Focus Familiar, Lifetaker, Power Stone, and Dispel Scroll on D.Steed or D.Pegasus. She's a one man Magic Phase. Let's see a High Elf Archmage do that.

Dagger is best on a Lv 2 in a big unit of Warriors. She will be casting things your opponent won't expect from a Lv 2.

We have the Seal of Ghrond. It was good in 6th, it's good now. It's not nearly as necessary as it was in 6th, however. Null Talismans are a great cheap way to give Magic Resistance to many different parts of your battle line, what's not to like?

One use only does not equal Useless. In a Dark Elf list, One use is all you should really need because if you have a good battle plan and follow it, it culminates ina turn of doing everythnig you have been setting up for the past 2-3 turns, and tehn you play clean up on Turn 5 and 6 with what's left. It's how Dark Elves are, and I for one have no problem with this. Besides, I'd rather have a cheap one use Dragon Egg, than an Item that costs 100 pts and gives you T6 and a Breath Attack (making it useless in many lists).

I think the Black Staff is fairly priced, and is best used on Morathi. It is not in my opinion better for a Lv. 4 than the F.Familiar or the Tome.
Grez90
The Tamer of Sea Dragons

Post by Grez90 »

i'm with von. i'm using morathi in a 2.5k list with a black staff, and a lvl2 with a power stone and sacrificial dagger...i'll use lvl2's PoD spell first with 2 dice, to try n draw out some dispel dice, if he dispels it then i'll use a power stone for his spells, if he fails to dispel it then i'v got rid of some dd and still got my dice back/more. then he'll never know that i can cast it 2 times more. use all lvl2's spells, then move onto morathi with her Pod, try n cast that, then use all her other spells, n cast the bound item last. possibility of 18 power dice, and thats not including sacrificial dagger, and most of the spells will be with +1 to cast with morathi. no 2.5k army can hold that back, i can only think of dwarves and chaos khorne being able to stand a chance...people with no magic in de armies are nuts lol
Amarel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Amarel »

One thing that I will say is that with the artificial raising of the cost of a couple items to put them out of the 25pt range of Champions and the limited amount of items 20pts of under it does make 30pt items difficult to sensibly put in; couple of basic swords, tome and powerstone, null shard and crappy ward, enchanted shield and 'alright' armour.

If you take out of that list the common items then you're left with just three items that you can fit in with, say, Lifetaker - especially if you want to put it on a Sorc.

Would have been nice, perhaps, to have a couple more little items to throw in there.
Still Serving Slaanesh
Owner of one too many armies...
Melinia
Executioner

Post by Melinia »

Yeah. The points can get a bit odd at times.

Banners are sort of similar since there are a couple of units that can take banners of up to 50 points... which means that the highest point banner they can take is 40 points (since we don't have any 50 point banners).
Grez90
The Tamer of Sea Dragons

Post by Grez90 »

yeh but theres only 2 above 50, the thing i'm mad at with the points is morathi's heartrender, its exactly the same as deathpeircer, but for 20 extra points.

can somebody tell me the justice thier, whereas the cheaper 25 points darksword can kill a slann in one attack??

the banners are fair i think, the 2 above 50 points are too good for just regular standards, meaning you have to spend a bit extra for them
Melinia
Executioner

Post by Melinia »

grez90 wrote:yeh but theres only 2 above 50, the thing i'm mad at with the points is morathi's heartrender, its exactly the same as deathpeircer, but for 20 extra points.

can somebody tell me the justice thier, whereas the cheaper 25 points darksword can kill a slann in one attack??

the banners are fair i think, the 2 above 50 points are too good for just regular standards, meaning you have to spend a bit extra for them

I'm not complaining about banners priced over 50. I'm just wondering why there aren't any banners worth 50 points.

And where are you getting points values for Morathi's weapons? I understand that Deathpiercer is essentially the same as Heartrender, but how are you generating a points value for the Darksword? I can't seem to find anything in the book that it corresponds to.

Also, while the Darksword will usually kill mages before their wounds are exhausted, typically that won't be the case (since for most non-spellcasting models, A >= W). In those cases, the Killing Blow from Heartrender may very well be more useful.
Grez90
The Tamer of Sea Dragons

Post by Grez90 »

yeh i know that, but i'm not gonna get morathi in combats she can't win, look under morathi in lords section, you have to choose 1 of the two weapons
Melinia
Executioner

Post by Melinia »

Yes, I missed the points costs there. Her fluff text makes it sound as if they're free.

The points cost is presumeably because of who you're attaching the weapons to. There's something similar with the basic weapons assortment for the Dreadlord and the Master. The Dreadlord's non-magical weapons options all cost 50% more.
Grez90
The Tamer of Sea Dragons

Post by Grez90 »

yeh but thats understandable, but y can't i just ditch heartrender, n pick up deathpeircer lol...and magic weapons do not suffer the 50% increase, e.g enchanted shield etc
Zire
Corsair

Post by Zire »

Boy thats just evil..