Sorceress in two places at once?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Tenoshii
Slave (off the Altar)

Sorceress in two places at once?

Post by Tenoshii »

Just realised something about a Sorceress with Focus Familiar. You could place the familiar at the beginning of the phase, then have an Assassin with Twilight Cloak (or your own Steed of Shadows if taking Shadow lore) and teleport yourself across half the battlefield. Coverage over both sides with one Sorceress.

Would this work and what tactical applications could we find for it?
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

I'm not sure if it is legal : it sounds cool. The big drawback I see is, your Sorceress would have to be on foot, which is always a little risky.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Moridin_nae'blis
Beastmaster

Post by Moridin_nae'blis »

personally, although the idea seems like (and is) a very cool one; it seems very situational.

You'd either have to have your assassin bounce her across the board or have another sorceress do it with the lore of shadows. Although I'm sure that others like it, with all the new options available it seems like a waste to me. I'd rather take dark/fire/metal personally. Plus once she's on the other side well then she's either stuck there or has to have someone else bounce her back.

But if there is a situation where doing that really does come in handy it certainly is something i'd use. Definitely a little combo to keep in the back of your mind but not something to base an army on. Unless I'm over looking someway to make it easier or more viable that is.

Then again its not like you said to base an army off that...okay now im just ranting; that's what I think xD

Nice one regardless though!
+++ Team Mulligans +++

I'm baaaaack!
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Seems a fun, valid combo... probably not often useful, but can be exhilarating. :)
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Greynightmare
Warrior

Post by Greynightmare »

Could.. Work : /
Currently... On Campaign please leave your message after the tone and my cold one will get back to you... RAWR!!!
Izirath
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Izirath »

Sounds cool and actually totally legal (but kind of breaking the rules). But what would you use it for?
Nagathi wrote:Fighting fair is for High Elves.
~ Nag
Irtehdar
Assassin

Post by Irtehdar »

I dont really see thie validity of this for numerous reasons:
1. It requires you to make either an assassin or a sorc be below optimal effiency.
2. The sorc being teleported needs to be on foot.
3. You dont really get more magic out of pulling her away from her familar. It expands her arc but no more than the assassin or sorc teleporting her could have filled if you had spent those pts making them a metal/fire/dark sorc.
4. I think that once this trick is pulled off at a GW tournament we get an eratta saying she can only use the familar if its within 6 inches of her at the time of casting.

To me it just doesnt seem worth it. I can see the assassin with the cloak perhaps teleporting a sorc in the middle of her magic phase so shes cast 2 spells before being moved and another 2 after which effectively has the same effect except it allows the familiar to be used otherwise by someone else.
Daddy! I sorta kinda had an accident... I was playing with my slave and it sorta... Umm... It's arm fell off!
*sobs*

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"

Any idiot can measure strenght. Against properly played MSU you must measure something you cannot see.
Lord temnir
Executioner

Post by Lord temnir »

It looks nice but to take out 1-2 warmachines at once or probably even to just stand behind an enemy unit to destroy it when you bring it under 75% by shooting... (is that possibly by one model?) but otherwise there is no use... Oh, well probably to make your enemy nervous so he makes more misstakes ^^
Victory is messured by the blood spilled.
Krystalice2020
Dark Rider

Post by Krystalice2020 »

I agree with Moridin, Something you should know you can do... Probably won't ever do it, but not because it's dumb, becuase the situation won't arise much. But I'm sure if you only had your Lvl4 on foot left and you needed to cast somehting on one unit and then something on another all the way on the other side of the field it would be useful to know how you could get ur biatch over there...
Zavratatar
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Zavratatar »

I try really hard, but I cannot see the usefulness of this. :) If we could use steed of shadows on the familiar, however....
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

Fancy but largely something to try to do just because it could be done. You get bonus points for dreaming it up. !cool!
To strive, to persevere, to conquer.
Elfik
Assassin
Location: Victoria, BC, on the Western shores of the New World

Post by Elfik »

Fly towards the ennemy, place your familiar in the middle of the ennemy formation, cast PoD using sacrificial dagger to kill your pegasus, then cast steed of shadows to escape and cast crown of taidron :P
People say "insert problem" but it's better to say "insert improvement"
Tenoshii
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Tenoshii »

Well, thanks for your thoughts! I can't come up with any real applications for it but I am gonna try it in my game tomorrow just for laughs.

Hardly a game winner but could make my opponent think I'm up to something fancy.
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

Can't sacrifice her mount, the dagger specifies "a model of a unit she has joined".
Fellblade
Noble
Location: Cell 5, isolation ward. Quarantine measures in effect.

Post by Fellblade »

Can't place familiar in center of enemy unit, the rule specifies "at least one inch away from any enemy."
Competition is the whetsone of talent.
Ehakir
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ehakir »

It doesn't have to be useful, it's just plain fun :D . Imagine it man, your range can be increased by 26" in this way :lol:
"Ceterum censeo Ulthuan esse delendam"
-Ehakir

3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win.
One-s
Beastmaster

Post by One-s »

I see another use for this Idea, the pop-attack:

turn 1:
move your wizard 10 inch forward, place the focus familiar 6 inch further, fly back in cover.
You just generated an extra 16" range for all your spells.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Just for fun: we've got Superman!

Turn 1. Assassin reveals himself in Infantry block with two shadow Sorceresses.
Infantry runs 10".
Sorceress 1 casts Steed of Shadow on the Assassin, flying only 18".
Sorceress 2 casts Steed of Shadow on the Assassin from her focus familiar, flying him further 20" away.
Assassin casts himself an additional 20" with Cloak.

Overall 68" triple-jump away from the starting line for the Assassin and that's a gold medal for Druchii in the Olympic games! :P

Now, the story goes on:
Turn 2.
Infantry runs forward 10". Assassin runs back 10". They are now 38" apart.
Assassin casts himself 20" with Cloak. They are now 18" apart.
Sorceress 2 casts Steed of Shadow on the Assassin from her focus familiar, flying him further 20" back.
Sorceress 1 casts Steed of Shadow on the Assassin, needing only 18" to go back to his original starting point.
He selects to fly the full 20".

Here, listen, the story is not over yet:
A third shadow Sorceress is waiting for him and pshittt! 20" more.

That makes a 90" dash and the previous Record is easily broken in turn 2!. :o

Next we go for the endurance race:
Sorceress 3 was positioned in the middle of the Assassin's last fly.
Everybody running in position as required, the Assassin runs 10" and flies 80" each following turn.

At the end of Turn 6,
the flying assassin just ran and flew an amazing 68+90+90+90+90+90= 518".
You can make 70" instead of 68" in turn 1 as well if you fly slightly diagonally, so the grand total will be 520".
The Marathon is over, and that's setting a new world speed Record. :shock:

And that was just with a modest 1500pts army list! Who can possibly beat that?

In fact, it could be improved... with little pushes from the opponent charges that the Assassin would flee. But in addition to the chances of miscast, you would bring in the incertitude of the fleeing distance and the chances of not rallying.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Mormeguil
Trainee Warrior

Post by Mormeguil »

Silly-silly elf..

*Skitterleap*
Irtehdar
Assassin

Post by Irtehdar »

Calisson. I like the way you think. I think Ill try out having a superfast Assassin for a game in the near future.
I see this assassin doing quite awesome against an unwary opponent. An assassin have pretty much earned back his own pts once he chops open a magician. And it only really requires a single shadow sorc to pull off on a standard sized table so if the DE army is magic heavy he can do signiffigant harm to the enemy magic defence and even if he dies his effort will continue to be rewarding in each subsequent magic phase. Plus if he survives going suicidal on a mage he can do some other fun stuff.

I dont suspect that it will work every time but against an opponent who thinks his caddy is safe in turn 1 it could be a nasty wakeup call.

I think this guy on his own(supported by a sorc) combined with all the other flying stuff we have could make a devastating start to a battle.
Round 1. Assa kills a magician.
Round 2. Peggy knight and Harpies descent on machines/magicians.
Round 3. Enemy artillery and magic is gone.
Daddy! I sorta kinda had an accident... I was playing with my slave and it sorta... Umm... It's arm fell off!
*sobs*

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"

Any idiot can measure strenght. Against properly played MSU you must measure something you cannot see.