How to make an all cavalry list work...

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Greynightmare
Warrior

Post by Greynightmare »

YourMumRang wrote:Heck, almost anything in the game!

Rather than talk about my list, let's discuss some of the things you need for a cav army to work. Here's a few I can think of:

- You need to control the enemy movement so you can bring your Knights to bear.
- You NEED something to mitigate Stupidity.
- You need some insurance in case you don't break the enemy (IE Crimson Death for S6 in round 2).

I think the Hydra Banner is great but I prefer to spread my power around.

I'm in a fix... I don't really like using special characters if I can help it... In my opinion they take a alot of fun and tactics out of the game (plus there alot of pts I could be spending on troops) by being so powerful, though I am really tempted to take Malus for his stupidity rule!!

:cry: what do I do, lol?
Currently... On Campaign please leave your message after the tone and my cold one will get back to you... RAWR!!!
Yourmumrang
Noble

Post by Yourmumrang »

TBH, Malus isn't that overpowered. He dropped in points but also lost some stats IIRC.
Greynightmare
Warrior

Post by Greynightmare »

Hmm, I guess so lol, but it would also mean I can't theme my army to well, which I really like doing...
Currently... On Campaign please leave your message after the tone and my cold one will get back to you... RAWR!!!
Furgil
Warrior

"One Big Unit"

Post by Furgil »

I think people are ignoring one of the best ways to use a cavalry army. Too many think that an MSU style cavalry force will bethe very best, but I've found that an unbreakable "Death Star" formation is vital to a successful cavalry force.

Bringing 12-18 CoK that includes a nearly impossible to kill combat lord and a BSB witht he unbreakable banner will make for a combined hammer-anvil unit. The rest of the force is easily suplemented by fast cavalry that harrass and divert for as cheap a cost as possible while few support units of cavalry or chariots bring up the flanks to take advantage of the enemies that hurl themselves into the flanks of this unit in hopes that they might cripple it.

My undead force uses huge units of black knights that cause massive casualties and tie up the enemy in combats that could last for several turns, but the support cavalry light or heavy an easil;y take advantage of the now immobile enemy formations!

One configuration i was toying with includes:

a lord with the S6 weapon and the reverse ward save and regeneration to both kill and survive. +cold one

then a BSB with banner of nagarythe for unbreakable and bonuses to combats. +cold one

then a master with the ring of darkness to help prevent the enemy from blasting the large expensive unit with excessive missiles. he'll also have the benefit of reducing WS when attacks are directed against him, so he could help by accepting challenges. +cold one

Then 15 CoK's with FC & the ASF banner and finally as champion with ring of hotek. This unit will be bulky and can easily survive many rounds of shooting it'll also be able to spread out to prevent the enemy from escaping it's charge or it's pursuit/overrun. The unit will also be able to strike first in nearly every situation including the 3 characters making it extremely deadly even if being charged or in subsequent rounds of combat.

This plus 3-4 units of 6 CoK's and musician

plus 3-4 units of 5 RXB Dark Riders with musician

Perhaps harpies or some hydras would be good support, but I really like the idea of a fast nearly indestructable unit.
Lamekh
The Scourge of Khaine

Post by Lamekh »

I'm thinking sth like this should work nicely

Characters:
Malus Darkblade @ 275pts
Master - DS,SDC,HA,Shield,Caldedors Bane, Null Shard @152
Master- DS,SDC,HA,Shield,Lance,Potion of Strength,Null Shard @151
these two fill multiple roles, firstly they add punch to the dark riders, whilst adding some magic defense. Secondly they are both S7 to auto kill chariots, War Altars etc., thirdly they can act as mage warmachine hunters on their own if the need arises

Core:
5 Dark Riders: Crossbows - Musician @ 117pts
5 Harpies @ 55pts
5 Harpies @ 55pts
5 Harpies @ 55pts
5 Harpies @ 55pts

Special:
11 Cold One Knights: F.C,Banner of Hag Graef,Champion,Ring of Hotek @ 397pts
5 Cold One Knights: Champion,Null Talisman @ 166pts
5 Cold One Knights: Champion,Null Talisman @ 166pts
expendable yet hard hitting units

Rare:
Hydra @ 175pts
Hydra @ 175pts
Yourmumrang
Noble

Post by Yourmumrang »

I don't feel that the Null Shards on them will contribute to any magic defense other than protecting them!
Greynightmare
Warrior

Post by Greynightmare »

So, if one were to do a CoK, DR, Cavalry Force, would you suggest dreadlords or consider sorceresses (mounted)?
Lamekh
The Scourge of Khaine

Post by Lamekh »

YourMumRang wrote:I don't feel that the Null Shards on them will contribute to any magic defense other than protecting them!

isn't that the point though....stopping magic?
Yourmumrang
Noble

Post by Yourmumrang »

The only thing is it has to be directed at them and not the rest of the army and Hunters are not always in LOS.

How about a Seal of Ghrond on one?
Macknight
Beastmaster

Post by Macknight »

the seal is now 30pts, so champs cant have it, i do think that pearl of infinite bleakness on one will help as the unit is immune to psych, so avoid panic from magic and shooting.
"It's hell of a thing to kill a man, you take away all he's got, and all he's ever gonna."

Lord of Gluttony, former active member of the 7.
Yourmumrang
Noble

Post by Yourmumrang »

Just noticed that myself!
Amarel
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: "One Big Unit"

Post by Amarel »

Furgil wrote:Perhaps harpies or some hydras would be good support, but I really like the idea of a fast nearly indestructable unit.

The reason people tend to avoid the Deathstar tactic with COK is because one Stupidity fail can utterly ruin your day. That said, if you run a couple of chariots (or 5 model COK units) alongside them to support, or, if needed to make the charge and stay in there for one round if the COK fail that test it can still work. Of course the in-unit SB should take the Cold Blooded Banner with the idea of avoiding the problem anyway :).
Still Serving Slaanesh
Owner of one too many armies...
Yourmumrang
Noble

Post by Yourmumrang »

Malus + Deathstar + Banner of Hag Graef = A fluffy, viable unit Egg Basket.