collecting information on units for draich

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Warpaintoz
Trainee Warrior

Post by Warpaintoz »

Corsairs: depends on units size

Pros: At small size with pistols they are ideal flank protectors. They can go alongside a combat unit in the style of an EMpire detachment, unload a bunch of shots, then absorb the charge and fire another volley before being defeated and leading the enemy unit where you want them to go. This can be annoying to enemies because they can't ignore the unit and its difficult to shoot them due to the cloaks.

Cons: Larger units don't stack up as they are too expensive to be a great fighting unit, and way too expensive to arm them all with pistols.
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

OK thankyou everyone we have a lot of information from the community on all the units. Shades, Cold One Knights and Cold One Chariots are slightly lacking, but if you have anything else to say about them go ahead. Apart from that, big well done Dnet!
Kir
Executioner

Post by Kir »

corsair redirectors: 10 man, with champ with 2 bows if you like, but likely better off without( since you're paying 13 pts for one more RHB able to shoot) charge redirecting for only 100 pts, can take some missle fire, and deliver decent damage on the attacking unit as well. stand and shoot, enemy lines up and gets shot, enemy unit kills/breaks you and overruns/pursues, right to where their flank is exposed to one of your hammers.
Maeth
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Maeth »

Just a few small points from me:

Recently tried Lokhir in a unit of 10 Corsairs with AHW, Frenzy Banner and Master with Standard of Nagarythe against VC.
Unstoppable.
Lokhir gained at least 3-4 more attacks from frenzy and ranks, his terror overcame the fear causing enemies and +1 resolution meant most of them died even if I didnt defeat them all in combat (due to Undead rules) An Assassin would make it even more frantic.
But obviously you'll have to be careful about running into hard enemy units.

Shades can now have Great Weapons (madness!) along with their handbows. As we know their BS means they are awfully effective shooters, but with GWs, they are now a very effective shock unit in larger numbers. Hitting an enemy units flank at the start of the game could do more damage than a few crossbow rounds, backed up by an Assassin too.

Cold One Knights are a great unit, with their huge AS, you can be happy for an enemy to waste their shooting on them without too many problems. Backed up by a character improves things, but also the Armour Piercing Banner will allow them to take out even the hardest infantry (S5 then -1 to AS to total -3 to eemy AS)
Shame about Stupidity though, however a unit with Malus will negate this and become a frightening unit.

Dan
Pain is temprorary, Pride is forever
Zeth
Malekith's Personal Guard

Re: collecting information on units for draich

Post by Zeth »

Heartrender wrote:Spearelves
Therefor, to maximize models able to hit i recommend you deploy between 5 and 7 models wide.

I certainly respect the effort and time people are spending on this DRAICH project but you may want to be a bit more selective on what goes in.

The information needs to be presented in a direct and useful manner with reason and logic behind it. If there is a debate about certain units or tactics that present themselves having someone knowledgeable about the topic from both sides giving your a rundown is probably wise.

For example here, fielding Spearmen 7 wide is never going to be wise. SCR units are support in our army as our main focus is ACR, which we have a variety of different options to choose from. Spearmen are never going to be useful in a ACR format for a variety of reasons so there is no point in fielding them 7 wide.
One of the best combos for them is the ASF banner and the Crimson Death for the champion...
if the unit have ASF banner, then the soulrender may be a better option as its cheaper

Or to nitpick again.
the Soulrender is not maybe a better option in coordination with the ASF banner.
It is in fact the vastly superior option, as the downside is completely negated and the strengths of the weapon are stronger then the CD and it is cheaper. It also frees the CD up to be potentially used by a hero, who often does not want to give up the ability to strike in initiative order. Also considering that our good lists are going to mount our heroes, our characters won't be taking the soulrenderer as it only provides +1S while mounted.
War Hydra...
Cons:...HUGE TARGET

This isn't really a con. This is actually one of the biggest reasons people are taking the thing over our other ACR units in the army.

As Archdukechocula does a good job of pointing out.

I mean if your going to do a project this big you might as well take the bit of extra time to do it right and make it look professional right?
Take all of my posts, when taking about balance, from a perspective of an all-comers list.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

@Zeth
Thank you for taking some time to suggest improvements to the D.R.A.I.C.H. project.
I noticed many times your acute analysis of all melee excellent uses of Druchii as well of your careful consideration for the drawbacks of Magic and missile.
Any time you spend in sharing your perceptions will be a decisive contribution to the D.R.A.I.C.H.

@D.net
A little explanation obout the D.R.A.I.C.H. project, that I am sure you are aware of for most of it but may be useful for other readers as well.

The D.R.A.I.C.H. task is, truly, huge.
This is why it has been spread over several persons.

Raising volunteers,
coordinating the distribution of the tasks among anonymous people who never met, who barely know anything about each other except that they share a common enthusiasm,
trusting people to write interesting articles when you don't know their language proficiency (possibly with English as a second language) nor their skill in WHB tactics,
when you think about this, you may wonder why the project has been considered at all and not discarded at the first place.

But it is running. The results are already encouraging, if I may use the "views" column as a testimony of the interest of D.net users.

It is not running the same way as creating a real book with different contributions from carefully selected authors. The idea behind that is to count upon D.net users, as yourself, to read, get involve and improve the collective work. Think it like a Wikipedia style project.

@Zeth
Now back to your point:
"you may want to be a bit more selective on what goes in."
Yes, we will.
Khel volunteered for the sub-thread D.R.A.I.C.H. - The Unitsbut had to wait to buy his Army Book. Since he got it, he started writing, day after day.

Heartrender joined him in the task, but he is not able to write directly in Khel's posts.
So he started the present thread so as to collect information, in a brainstorming's way, for Khel to include in his work later on, in an organized way already visible in the thread.

In the meantime, I keep collecting the hyperlinks to diverse links related to Khel's thread, that I include in the ToC following posts, so that
- people looking for information may find an organized alternative to the "Search" function, restricted to the 7th ed Army Book
- Khel & Heartrender will have plenty of new ideas to read.

Of course, the linked threads are not organized themselves, which is why they need to be reviewed in the D.R.A.I.C.H. spirit and only their essence be include in the D.R.A.I.C.H. articles.

Your contribution will be essential in that task, of course.
I just ask you patience and kind pedagogy.

Calisson
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}