Dealing with Daemons-the Aftermath

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Kierath heartshard
Trainee Warrior

Dealing with Daemons-the Aftermath

Post by Kierath heartshard »

I thought I would provide a bit of feedback on my brush with Daemons, especially after the contributions made by you all who gave me advice.

First, know your enemy. By that I mean if someone has models of plaguebearers on a table, check that that is what they are. My opponent's ones turned out to be Flamers. So that meant that the good avice on using Lore of Fire on Nurgle was irrelevant to the army I was fighting. So much for WYSIWYG.

To the contributors who suggested how I should tool up my Dreadlord- yes, you were spot on. Armour of Eternal Servitude, Ring of Hotek and Crimson Death all gave the Keeper of Secrets a harder time than otherwise would have been the case. Unfortunately, due to Slaaneshi auras which reduce Leadership, and which are cumulative, a lot of the time my units were dealing with a Leadership that a Skaven would have been disappointed in.
Watch out for the combo of KoS with Masque of Slaanesh-one reduces Leadership by D3, the other adds to that and causes Terror. Ultimately this led to my Dreadlord and my Assassin-and-Sorceress-bearing unts making a "tactical withdrawal" off the table.

I found that my 20 RXB were a potent and troublesome unit for the Daemons, as was so rightly pointed out by some of you. They were responsible for the removal of 2 Bloodcrushers and pretty much half a large unit of horrors. In the end though they too succumbed to the KoS-Masque combo, and did a runner.

My hydra did nothing. Full stop. Waste of points in this game.

Dark Riders die too quickly and do not pack enough punch against Daemon armies. Leave them at home. I wish I had.

Wall of Fire is a very effective defensive spell. I cast that on his Daemonettes twice and on his horrors, and it stopped them in their tracks. Go for Lore of Fire.

The one unit that I should have brought along, and which my opponent was truly concerned about, was the CoC. I have two, and had originally intended to field them. From his standpoint, my opponent was concerned about the potential damage that impact hits could have made on his KoS.

The result of the battle was that I had not a single model on the field by the end of turn 5, my army having been slaughtered or ran away. Clearly I need to do some further work in developing a Daemon-proof army.
"A blade should not be so blunt that it does no harm, nor so sharp that it kills without pain".
Grandmaster ej
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Grandmaster ej »

i was able to deal with a keeper tonight/today. i fed it my hydras one at a time, the first one caused 3 wounds the second one finished it off :D

killing the masque was a pain though and the keeper had done significant damage to my scoring units (UK GT Scenario) before i stopped it. the game turned out a draw although on VPs i would have been clearly ahead, go the black guard of doom 8)
Chuck Norris does not hunt because the word hunting infers the possability of failure. Chuck Norris goes killing.
Rugi
Noble
Location: probably still burried under snow after a failed backflip attempt

Post by Rugi »

About 2 months ago I got lucky and killed opponents Kepper with just one unit of dark riders, 10 crossbowmen and one bolt thrower.
He called my dark riders via Siren song but only killed 2 and I did one wound in return so he actually lost CC but didn´t get any further wounds. Than he came across crossbowmen who shot at him and did one more wound and for the desert the bolt thrower made a jucy 3 wounds on single shot :D

I only played two games with the new DE and both of them against daemons. One without cauldron (which I lost) and the second with cauldron (which I won).
IMO cauldron is a must against them. Black guards killing blowed his khorne herald with 0+ armour and my dreadlord killing blowed his level 1 nurgle herald on palanquin :D. On the other side 6 cold one knights with +1 attack charged his 17 daemonettes with full command and slaanesh herald. Only 7 daemonettes were left after the first CC :D
But finally the cauldron fell due to another khorne herald on juggernaut who was running over the board all alone from turn 2. Of course 2 single bolt hits and one rule of burning iron resulted in 0 wounds ;)

So cauldron all the way!!!:D:D