HELP Malus Darkblade

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Biotitan
Slave on the Altar

HELP Malus Darkblade

Post by Biotitan »

i have just read the first 3 books of Malus and he is simply amazing.however in the game he lacks the hitting power he should have.what do you think about?is he stong enought?
POWER UNLIMITED POWER
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Welcome biotitan in Druchii.net! :)

In a game, he is used to remove stupidity from COK, and all together, no opponent would dare say that they are not strong enough!
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Gh9st
Shade

Post by Gh9st »

Removig stupidity is a very valuable rule, the extra assurance that they won't let you down at a pivotal moment. His weapons and rules other than that, Tz'arkan especially are very useful. For me personally I see him as being useful in games between 1500 - 1999. More powerful than a Master, but not as good cost-wise as a Dreadlord.
Biotitan
Slave on the Altar

Post by Biotitan »

but still Malus is not that strong 4 attacks pitiful :( :( if he had 6 attacks with Tz'arkan and 3 wound he would be worth it ans make him more expesive
POWER UNLIMITED POWER
Gh9st
Shade

Post by Gh9st »

He would then have to be a Lord choice...and he would also be made more expensive. This would make him even less useful. The problem is that if he were to really be as powerful in the game as he is in the books he should be capable of killing multiple highborn with ease, singlehandedly destroying deamons. A very broken character.
No one
Noble

Post by No one »

You would probably love his 6th edition stats:
highborn stats and with Tz'arkan the same bonuses as now but couldn't lose frenzy and rerolled failed break tests...I liked him so much in 6th. but like Gh9st said, it is mostly for game balance (imagine Teclis actually being able to banish an entire deamonic army on tabletop)
'with hatred all things are possible' -Malus of Hag Greaf-

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

What does it really matter what we think? I mean it's not like something is magically going to change because a few of us here think one way or the other.
Biotitan
Slave on the Altar

Post by Biotitan »

i know that it will not change but still it hurts me.i will be posting a Malus list check it out :P :P
POWER UNLIMITED POWER
No one
Noble

Post by No one »

phierlihy wrote:What does it really matter what we think? I mean it's not like something is magically going to change because a few of us here think one way or the other.

cough* Dark Elves 6th edition revision* cough

anyway, what we think might not matter but if we never criticise (does this word even exist??) things that we think are wrong then nobody is ever going to listen to us, but if we do someone might read this and when the next DE book is published he *might* take our ideas into account. I what we think doesn't matter then I wouldn't be posting on this forum.

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

If you want someone to pay attention, bring this up in another six or so years when another book is in the works. Until then, don't get your hopes up =(
No one
Noble

Post by No one »

sad but true

Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

Give him a Sea Dragon Cloak to bring his save to 2+/1+. Thats all he needs IMO, atm he can deal damage but can't take it.
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

Uh huh. I think this needs to be moved out of Tactics.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Alandriakh
Trainee Warrior

Post by Alandriakh »

Anyway to go back to the questions asked.

Yes in rules he differs alot from the fluff. But that happens with almost everything, characters need to have a heroic background (or a vicious one) but it would unbalance the game if you take the fluff to the board. For example, the cold ones are enormous beast that weigh up to a ton and are 6 metres long atleast. Then look at the models and their stats, fluff wise they should atleast have str 5.

Malus Darkblade on the board isn't that bad. I agree he costs a lot of points for what he does, but then again...what does he do?

He removes stupidty from CoK and we can all cheer on that, for which one of us hasn't cursed and sworn when that dreadfull double 6 came on and we saw or knights getting charged by a steam tank which just grinded them to dust. The second reason he is worth buying is the demon and his warpsword. After a while when the no-stupidity doesn't seem that handy anymore (because of various reasons that happened on the table) you move him out of the knights, get the demon awakened and then you search out high armoured, high cost troops (in small groups so don't go tackle ironbreakers) or a big monster. 4 attacks with re-roll hits in first round with alsmot always 3+ to hit, then re-roll to wound on str 5 and no AS. I count on 3 wounds there, he also is a wonderfull support unit, charging in flanks or rears when your troops are in a fight and he can tip the balance in your favor.

Malus Darkblade is a good investment but a high cost so think before you buy. Do you need him?
Arkazath
Slave (off the Altar)

Re: HELP Malus Darkblade

Post by Arkazath »

biotitan wrote:i have just read the first 3 books of Malus and he is simply amazing.however in the game he lacks the hitting power he should have.what do you think about?is he stong enought?

its just like nagash and things like teclis. they have ot be toned down to be able to use in games, because of balance issues. if every character was as powerfull as his fiction version, the world of warhammer would have been owned several times over by now.
"i exist to kill. let me have my tally."

dreadlord arkazath after recieving orders to cease keeping a kill tally, seeing as all murders belong to khaine.
Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

Hence why Nagash was taken away from being a playable special character, he just cannot be toned down in any respect at all without losing the point of him being the most powerful necromancer of all time.

Malus' stats are fine for me to be honest, in the books he gets by on sheer luck most of the time, he is not some be all end all killing machine, and I like to see that the T'zarken possession in the game isn't the full extent of the power he gains in the books, maybe the additional strength and speed, but in my imagination his form doesn't alter too much.

I can see no stupidity being so useful that he is worth the cost however, I don't use cold ones so absolutely no need for him.

BTW I also preferred his 6th Edition rules.

EDIT, woops didn't notice this thread was a couple of days old, I'm tired and running on autopilot, sorry.
Join the Shrine of the Serpent today!
Brotherhood of the Coast!

Zardock (Group 27)
Class: Trainee of Khaine
WS:4 / S:5 / T:3 / D:4 / I:2
Equipment: Short sword and Dagger, 50g in a pouch.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Uncontrollable Frenzy

The Keeper of the D.net Battle Records.
Mennorach
Beastmaster
Location: on the wrong side of a town in the middle of Finland

Post by Mennorach »

In most fantasynovels the main character and his "drinking buddies" are able to survive encounters they shouldn't.

For example if Salvatores forgotten realms books fights were turned to scenarios all of the main characters would allways roll over 15 (on a d20).
And Gotrek and Felix would have died about four books ago...
Not to mention the Tanith "we kill anything they throw at us" Firstborn.
My point now is that in the books these iconic characters must perform above average. Otherwise we might find the books boring (and a bit shorter :) ).

In the Darkblade novels, most of the deadly situations Malus solves with luck (as has been said) or with some means that cannot be represented in the game properly (mostly Hauclir with luck).

Personaly I'm just happy they even made a druchii character they would write about, because it helps bring the army alive in a whole new way..
..And gives us a cool way to negate stupidity.
"If they're better at the game than you are, change the rules."