My most terrible magic phase, a report and list

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Marchant06
Slave on the Altar

My most terrible magic phase, a report and list

Post by Marchant06 »

Code: Select all

Sense the beginning of the new incarnation of the dark elves i've believed greatly in the power of dark magic. I've always thought that magic can win a game, especially with the ability to deal damage like we now can. Well, last night i played a doubles game at 1500 a piece.

I've been bringing two level twos in any point value, raising it to three when i get 2000 points. well, last night i brought my two mages, an assassin, xbows, dark riders, harpies, ASF BG, Hydra and Cok with Standard of Slaughter. My ally was a high elf (we played a father and son so we didnt really mind having a weird ally system). He brought two mages, a noble, swordmasters, dragon princes, Phoenix Guard, spearmen,  and bolt throwers.

We played against and OK and another HE. The ogres had a bruiser and two butchers, plus a good sized unit as a retinue for each character. The HE had two mages, along with a novle, silver helms, swordmasters, bolt throwers, shadow warriors i believe.

The got first turn, and only were able to kill off a knight and a Dragon Prince. No Biggie i thought. Well, then the OK played HellHeart. and i payed. even knowing what it did i thought that i would try and cast some lower level spells. i got both PoD off, no problem. than i cast a doombolt on two dice. I miscast (double threes), rolled a one and lost a sorceress. than i cast chillwind, which was dispelled. my other mage had been set up opposite the swordmasters. I knew it was bad, but i needed to help out my partner (he had the ring and kept it for last), and the target was too tempting. i cast world of pain, miscast and rolled so that he no longer could cast spells. which was pretty much ruined our magic phase.

As the game went the ogres had one unit gaurding each flank, than one in the centre. The first ogre unit got a combined charge from the Cok and DP. He challenged my champ, failed to wound, and lost combat by 11. the other flank unit played hide and seek with my harpies all day.

The Hydra had moved up after my bad magic phase in order to protect our battle line, and to flame the ogres, which combined with the shooting we had from normal archers took down two ogres. he accepted a charge from a lion chariot which only had two wounds and killed it after the ogre unit with the bruiser failed his fear check :). i charged the squad next turn, broke them ( the Ogre player failed to wound my hydra with his Bruiser in three turns thanks to regen, even though he had a d3 weapon and was strength 7). they rallied on their turn.

the hydra moved up the next turn, flamed them again and killed 5 spearelves in the process. he charged it again, failed to wound it again, and ran away. that same turn the Dp charged the SM. at this point they gave up, as we still had swordmasters, BG and Phoenix Guard that hadn't made it into combat.

So while we did win the game it got me thinking as to how badly i might have done had my hydra not pulled through for me, and i remember looking at lists designed around magic defense, and i thought that maybe that would suit me a little better. it would at least force me to play better instead of just win the magic phase and blow stuff away. Plus I'm more of a fan of executioners and have a cauldron on order, so i thought this way I'd be able to fit it all in and give it a try.

So, here's my new list.

Master 122
heavy armour, SDC, GW and Seal

Sorceress 150
2 D Scrolls

Hag 225
Cauldron, BSB

Two Units of crossbows 200

Dark Riders 117
xbows and musician

harpies 55

shades 80

14 BG 277
ASF, FC, Ring of Hotek

14 Executioners 198
FC

5 Cok 225
FC, Standard of Slaughter, Null Stone

Hydra 175

That totals up to 1814. i'm probably either going to add an assassin with ToD, RoK and BL or another hydra. i'm sure everyone can see how the list will operate, but in short form. the two stubborn units form the centre with the hydra, and so will be in range of the ring. the shades, harpies and Dark riders help with WM hunting and active magic defense. the only thing i really fear are big nasties like dragons, which i really don't have an answer for unless i add my two bolt throwers.

And so i just thought i'd warn everyone of hellheart, and hopefully people with exeperience with this type of list can give me suggestions. Thanks in advance to everyone.
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

They sound like you were using boys as your mages, that's your problem there !

Nekkid girls are the only way to go :)

Seriously though its a nasty spell for one magic phase, so a little restraint would have seen you will full effect next turn. Cast on single dice and only let the girl with the PoK try multiples. Ring of Hotek is much worse.

As for your new list, 450 points in two small infantry units, no matter how hard, is probably not a good thing.

You need a couple good filler units like enlarged RXB of a couple spear units. The exes will work well as 2x7 with champs and the CoKs are going to work nearly as well at 143 points with just a muso.

Those points plus dropping the shades will get you a 20 spear elves with FC or let you increase the size of your 2 RXB to 15 with muso and shields.

Tart up your master as well and try to find a place for the Ring of Darkness, you your BG will be shot off the table.
"Luck is the residue of design"