paralells between Malkieth and Dr.Doom

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

@1elbow
Warrior

paralells between Malkieth and Dr.Doom

Post by @1elbow »

(I wasn't sure if general discussion or History was appropriate for this topic, if it is moved, so be it)

I've had an idea that some of the infamous Dr. Doom (of Marvel comics) was used as a basis for Malkieth for a long time and tonight I did a ZGoogle/Yahoo search that yielded nothing. I was just wondering how many other people see the similarities between the two.

1-First and most obvious, both charcters were burned in fires attempting to prove themselves. Malkieth in the Flames and Doom as a scientest and then they both encased themselves in suits of metal.

2-Both are rulers of countries. Malkieth of course over Naggaroth and Doom over Latveria.

3-Both are sorcerers. Doom isn't the magic user Malkieth is, but he has some skill in the "dark Arts."

----
Those are the big three paralells between the two and by no means do I want to come off as disrespectful to the GW staff, creators, etc or want to imply that there aren't differences. However, I've always thought that there were some odd similarities between the two and as a fan of both I was just wondering how others would view this idea.
Bloodyangel
Black Guard

Post by Bloodyangel »

I've always assumed that Melekith was more inspired by Darth Vader. But I haven't got any real examples to back it up. Just imagine him force-choking people though. Seems pretty appropriate.
Anyone looking for awesome art, here's the girl to see... her stuff is amazing!

http://www.angelfire.com/rebellion/fuju ... index.html
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

I've always assumed that Melekith was more inspired by Darth Vader. But I haven't got any real examples to back it up.

Interestingly enough I thought of the similarities between the two as well, only that I do have some examples:

1)Both wanted power (Anakin wanted to be recognised as one of the most powerful jedi ever to exist, and Malekith wanted his father's throne).

2)Both didn't get what they wanted and pretended to be fine with it.

But the biggest evidence is:

3)Both got burned and now they can't survive without their armour

4)Now both are out for revenge, killing mercilessly

The interesting thing is that Darth Vader's story had ended with him saving his own life, whereas Malekith is still alive (and he has lived considerably longer than Darth Vader to :lol: ) I wonder whether some day someone will write a novel about how Malekith dies...

HUZZAH!
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.
Lonewandererd
Cold One Knight

Post by Lonewandererd »

I wonder whether some day someone will write a novel about how Malekith dies...

*Black Guard burst in through the door* Heresy! :evil: .

Sorry, only joking. I too have compared our Dark Majesty to the Dark Lord of the Sith, mainly due to the fact that both of them have large black capes, black armour, cool weapons and both absolutely kick ass and rule with an iron fist (the only way i'd do it :twisted: ). Unfortunately Vader is in fact a servant to that old fart Palatine while Malekith is his own boss and answers to no one, expect maybe Morathi but mothers can be like that.

On the other hand I have thought that Malekith was more of a Doom than Vader. Both Malekith and Doom keep getting beaten up by those goodie-goodie superheroes/ High Elves even though it was very unlikely and so rigged.
Forever alone,
Forever wandering.

W - 3
L - 4
D - 0
Balkanian druchii
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Balkanian druchii »

....but does any of these characters still live with mom after 5000 years :P ?
Notts
Cold One Knight

Post by Notts »

it's hardly surprising GW rip stuff off, it's impossible not to. and some of it is a lot worse than malekith.

but really, Dr Doom rules Latveria? that's hilarious.
Master of arneim
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Master of arneim »

But the biggest evidence is:

3)Both got burned and now they can't survive without their armour

4)Now both are out for revenge, killing mercilessly

5) he is the last jedi knight of the empire or under the empire control, as Malekith is the only (or should be) male magician in Naggaroth.

I agree. Malekith is more similar to Darth Vader. Run those rebel down!!!!
Master of Arneim, proud ruler of the cult of the thousand draichs, because bigger is better.
Notts
Cold One Knight

Post by Notts »

Didn't Malekith allow male sorcerers in old fluff?
Elven prince
Dark Rider

Post by Elven prince »

Malekith is more similar to Darth Vader.

I disagree. Imo, Annakin never truly embraced the teaching of the Sith and felt he was rather: " It is very easy to become trapped into a corner with nowhere to go." Consequently doubt of his actions and perhaps regret allowed him later to turn away from the Dark Side and find peace with himself.

Witch King doesn't fit him, he's mind is quite devastated by continuously exposure to D'har sorcery. His actions are selfish and egocentric, no price is small enough, if this means he'll get what he wants. Personally, believe he's beyond redemption, not that he cares...
Though I don't know how exactly he found himself in this position; perhaps his mother influenced him with her teaching, perhaps during his journeys he discovered an artefact and believed he can control it without corrupting him or he was simply power-hungry from the start etc. Hopefully the BL Novel will shed some light on this matter.

Anyway, should I bet which Sith Lord fits the Witch King it would be Exar Kun or Darth Revan.

Beware the Beast of Pirates Bay!
Taloc
Trainee Warrior

Post by Taloc »

Elven prince wrote:
Malekith is more similar to Darth Vader.

I disagree. Imo, Annakin never truly embraced the teaching of the Sith and felt he was rather: " It is very easy to become trapped into a corner with nowhere to go." Consequently doubt of his actions and perhaps regret allowed him later to turn away from the Dark Side and find peace with himself.

Witch King doesn't fit him, he's mind is quite devastated by continuously exposure to D'har sorcery. His actions are selfish and egocentric, no price is small enough, if this means he'll get what he wants. Personally, believe he's beyond redemption, not that he cares...
Though I don't know how exactly he found himself in this position; perhaps his mother influenced him with her teaching, perhaps during his journeys he discovered an artefact and believed he can control it without corrupting him or he was simply power-hungry from the start etc. Hopefully the BL Novel will shed some light on this matter.

Anyway, should I bet which Sith Lord fits the Witch King it would be Exar Kun or Darth Revan.

i disagree about revan, doesnt fit at all, saved the galaxy, took it over with the same army and rule it, then become good and stop the army.... nothing like malekith. their personalities are completely diffrent (from what little is written about his sith days), he wasnt burned, he only wore his suit for style (not to mention reven was first made up in 2003). and malekith turning good is about as likely to happen as khorne is to becoming a pacifist, and opening a bar in altdorf.

darth vader is probably the closest in the star wars fluff, for the reasons stated above, but his personality is closer to palpatine, due to his power, remorceless nature, using people to do his bidding, and making people look at him like an ever living god (palpatine intended to rule the empire for ever using clone bodies).

but then again nearly everything has been done before so whichever way you make a character you could probably find 2 or 3 similarities to others.

edit: and back on topic, i dont know much about the marvel universe or dr. doom (except if the fantastic 4 movie counts.... but thats is probably as accurate as a blind orc archer) so i cant make refrences there.
Elven prince
Dark Rider

Post by Elven prince »

i disagree about revan

He was talented tactician, gifted in the Force, very charismatic, had many teachers and surpassed many of them. During Mandalorian Wars something happened to him and went from saviour to conqueror. Though there are hints of what happened to him, nothing is exactly set in stone. Though I agree that there are no similarities once the "rescue" team wipes his memories.

Malekieth too, was skilled in all areas he practised and I think he was very charismatic, which is why so many of Ulthuan's nobles wished he would be a future king. It's possible something happened to him during his quest; as he was searching for cult of slaneesh.

but then again nearly everything has been done before so whichever way you make a character you could probably find 2 or 3 similarities to others.

Agreed, but that won't stop us. :)

Beware the Beast of Pirates Bay!