Dreadlord on foot: what tot equip him with?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Mister_shiny
Slave on the Altar

Dreadlord on foot: what tot equip him with?

Post by Mister_shiny »

Hello all!

I recently ordered the Avatars Dark Elf Hero.
The model is awesome IMO and would make a nice Black Arc Commander.
However, since he's armed with two hand-weapons (or fighting with just one sword) and he's on foot, I'm pondering about his magic weapon: is it stupid to give him the Crimson Death and make up a tale about 'his +2 st. magic sword'?
A simple sword of might seems quite weak these days with all those A5, S6 and S7 hits flying around.
But then: the CD is noted as a Halberd and I don't know how many people play wysiwyg. :?

One idea was giving him the Black Amulet. Does any of you know whether this item is worth it? It seems pretty nasty but it costs a lot.

Thanks in advance for helping!

Mister Shiny
Hali
Grand Executioner

Post by Hali »

One idea was giving him the Black Amulet. Does any of you know whether this item is worth it? It seems pretty nasty but it costs a lot.

Black Amulet is well worth it's cost, i've run it with my Dragon Lord and it pays for itself time and time again. Certainly better than Pendant of Khaeleth and Armour of Eternal Servitude.
Zakath the slaughterer
Master of Puppets

Post by Zakath the slaughterer »

Black Amulet is definitely "worth it".

If I'd use a Dreadlord on foot, though, my equipment for him would be clear as day:

Soulrender: cheap, effective and gives you magical attacks against those Ethereals and Forest Spirits.

Armour of Darkness: cheap and protects your DL from low S attacks. Useful against most R&F because he strikes last and has low T.

Pendant of Khaeleth: combos nicely with the AoD since this makes you safe from high S attacks too.

This means your Dreadlord strikes at S6, has AP, AS1+ and can withstand anything that can negate/overcome his armour. All this comes in fairly cheap :)

I'm not 100% sure if the AoD was 20pts. or 25 or what but IIRC the combo comes at 210pts. and you still have some points left for toys. Giving him RxB (DLs can't take pair of RHB, right?) for S&S is also not a total waste of points.
Master of puppets I'm pulling your strings/
Twisting your mind and smashing your dreams/
Blinded by me, you cant see a thing/
Just call my name, `cause Ill hear you scream
Undeadcatd
Noble

Re: Dreadlord on foot: what tot equip him with?

Post by Undeadcatd »

you mean this one?
http://www.avatars-of-war.com/images/aow06.jpg
To match the model ,
I believe you can go with potion of strength /hydra sword /pendant or armor of darkness
Mister_shiny
Slave on the Altar

Post by Mister_shiny »

But would you mind if I gave the Soulrender to my general even if he's modeled with a normal sword?
Darthken
Assassin
Location: Australia, the place where kangaroo's hop down the street with a can of fosters in their pouch

Post by Darthken »

i wouldn't mind as long as you informed your opponent before the game started, not when he's about to make his 1st attack

tournament would be different though.
you don't know the power of the darkside
Ehakir
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ehakir »

Where I live WYSIWYG means that the regular troops carry what they should carry; no one cares if your lord hasn't got a SDC modelled on. So I'd say, no problemo mate ;)

To be sure, just tell your opponent before the battle what kind of weapons/armour your heroes have.
"Ceterum censeo Ulthuan esse delendam"
-Ehakir

3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win.
Mr_styrofoam
Dark Rider

Post by Mr_styrofoam »

I'd second the hydra blade/potion of strength/pendant equipment. or replace the hydra blade with the ASF sword if that's what floats your boat.
Master of arneim
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Master of arneim »

Executioner's axe and blood armour is a good combo to take the Dreaddy on foot. Surely it goes into some asf Black guards. Only a Bloodthirster can survive at this unit (and unfortunately it does it good...) but for others there is no escape when in hth.
Master of Arneim, proud ruler of the cult of the thousand draichs, because bigger is better.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Bloodthirster surviving ASF exec axe lord? hmm. It's doable but VERY risky to be honest.

No armour save, 3 attacks should hit, all should wound and do 6 wounds on average. sure BT has to pass only one ward to survive, but would you honestly risk that? (and get bogged down in BG until the end of time anyway)
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Schlorgadorb
Warrior

Post by Schlorgadorb »

Man, that model is about as sweet as lords get! To match it, just get anything that is treated as a hand weapon. The second weapon could be his normal hand weapon. Or, he could simply use it to get extra parrying (shield) He could have a weapon like crimson death, or really any of the magic weapons available. Only one I'd say maybe on would be Lifetaker, but even then he could have it tucked behind his cape. Thats the funny thing about magic weapons though, they don't have to take the form you think they do. Also there could be more than one that do similar things, but look drastically different.
As for the rest of his equipment, Only thing that might be a problem is the Shield of Ghrond. But then, that could be that weird thing on his back. As for Talismans and Enchanted items, those could be so small you don't even know they're there!

As such, I figure characters can have whatever the heck they want, showing it on the model should never be a concern.

And as for the Executioners axe, whats wrong with getting a BSB with the ASF banner and sticking it in a unit of corsairs, who also have the frenzy banner. That makes the whole unit frenzy, and ASF! Your Dreadlord then gets 5 attacks with the ridiculous statline! That way the Corsairs also benefit from his increased leadership, and its cheaper to get more combat resolution (ranks) with them.
My record for New Dark Elves: (15/0/10)
Izirath

Post by Izirath »

AFAIK about magic weapons and wysiwyg, it says that your magic weapons can be any weapon. Sometimes it just looks better with a sword.
Nagathi wrote:Fighting fair is for High Elves.
~ Nag
Master of arneim

Post by Master of arneim »

Bloodthirster surviving ASF exec axe lord? hmm. It's doable but VERY risky to be honest.

Never heard about obsidian armour? No magic weapons can be used, so goodbye to the executioner's axe. This is the problem. In my country quite nobody uses the bloodthirster without this armour :cry: :cry: :cry:
Master of Arneim, proud ruler of the cult of the thousand draichs, because bigger is better.
Eqaddictedfool
Corsair

Post by Eqaddictedfool »

I recently tooled my dreadlord with the Executioners Axe against vampire counts. While i didnt get to use it to its full potention oh boy did that vampire have it comeing with no ward save. Since my magic banner gave my unit always strikes first and my hatered allowing me to reroll misses and wound on 2s with d3 wounds that army would have been crumbeling in no time if i hadnt been flanked by gravegaurd 1/2 inch away from the vampire lord.
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

Master of Arneim wrote:

Never heard about obsidian armour? No magic weapons can be used, so goodbye to the executioner's axe. This is the problem. In my country quite nobody uses the bloodthirster without this armour :cry: :cry: :cry:

No thirster ever takes Obsidian armor in the last 10 games ive seen one played :P
Pasch
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Pasch »

I would suggest the Pendant of Khaeleth before Amulet of Darkness. 4+ ward save is good but for 70 points its pretty expensive. Reflecting wounds is nice but unlikely to be all that effective against enemy heroes who are usually also packing ward saves and against Daemons who are all packing ward saves :roll:

70 points really limits your offensive options and pretty much means you are stuck with the Armor of Darkness if you want a good armor save. Nothing wrong with the AoD but you have better options for the points I think. Armor of Darkness + Amulet of Darkness leaves you 5 magic item points which isn't enough for anything. You could alternatively go with Blood Armor + Sword of Might but again not the most effective combo.

The most popular and arguably the most effective Dreadlord combo is Pendant of Khaeleth + Armor of Eternal Servitude + 25 pt magic weapon + Sea Dragon Cloak + Shield. This gives you a 2+ armor save in close combat, a 3+ to a 1+ ward save against most enemies and regeneration. For a weapon Crimson Death or Blade of Spite are both good options. I'm not sure if you can take a magical lance on foot, if you can Deathpiercer would also be very good for killing blow.

Best way to get a Bloodthirster down in my opinion (assuming of course you can get him to attack your unit), is to stick the above Dreadlord in a high static combat resolution unit and challenge every round. Its extremely unlikely the Bloodthister will do enough damage to the Dreadlord to beat your static combat resolution.
Antinchip
Warrior

Post by Antinchip »

I am planning a Dreadlord in a unit of ASF Black Guard with repeater crossbow, great weapon, Armour of Eternal Servitude, Shield, Sea Dragon Cloak, Pendant of Khaeleth and Potion of Strength. High Elf battle coming up and I am expecting a lot of dragons!

Cheers

Antinchip
Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

Mister_Shiny wrote:But would you mind if I gave the Soulrender to my general even if he's modeled with a normal sword?

Who is to say that you can't use 2 hands to swing any sword?.. :roll:

The Black Amulet is a bit too expensive now imo. Armor of Darkness and Pendant of K will keep him up nicely.
Hali
Grand Executioner

Post by Hali »

I would suggest the Pendant of Khaeleth before Amulet of Darkness. 4+ ward save is good but for 70 points its pretty expensive. Reflecting wounds is nice but unlikely to be all that effective against enemy heroes who are usually also packing ward saves and against Daemons who are all packing ward saves.

You're forgetting that this thing AUTO wounds, in adition to ignoring armour saves, which completely overcomes certain drawbacks that Dark Elves have with thier lower strength to begin with. Not to mention, unlike alot of other wound reflecting items, this one works when you make the save, rather than fail it, Warriors of chaos "Acidic Ichor" anyone?

The Black Amulet, Sword of Might and Enchanted shield, Heavey armour and a SDC gives you a 2+ Armour Save, 4+ ward save, 4x S5 attack Dreadlord who reflects wounds that are only saved by ward saves, ie, throw him against monsteroud creatures and they die.
For a foot slogging character, that's kind of a hard one to beat.

I did think that it was a bit steep at 70pts to begin with aswell, but that Black Amulet has earned it's place on my list that's for sure, and it's certainly a funner item to use than the tried and tested boring combination of AoES and the Pendant.
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

they had to make it 70 so it wouldnt combine with 35 pt regen armour among other things (: