Defeating the Black Coach

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Phi
Trainee Warrior

Defeating the Black Coach

Post by Phi »

I was wondering what do you guys do to deal with the Black Coach?
Creedence
Dark Rider

Post by Creedence »

I use a 24 strong unit of spears.
I kill it via CR.
Lord Admiral, Creedence Vendral, Commander of the Black Arc Murderous Pride.
Blackfel
Black Guard

Post by Blackfel »

Well, as it's a chariot, it's vulnerable to being destroyed outright by Strength 7 attacks. With that in mind, I'd say that a Dreadlord on a manticore (to combat the coach's Terror) with Caledor's Bane, or Heartrender + Potion of Strength (I like the rerolls) is just the ticket.

The manticore is entirely unnecessary. You could do just as well with a noble or dreadlord on horseback or on a cold one, but you'd have to worry about Terror. The key is Strength 7. Once you hit it, he has to make a 4+ ward save or it's bye-bye chariot.

Blackfel
There is one rule, above all others, for being a man. Whatever comes, face it on your feet.
Phi
Trainee Warrior

Post by Phi »

Thanks for your help guys. Well because I'm playing this in a 1,500 point list, I'm going to do this I'm going to use a master on a cold one and put him in a cold one knight unit and give him the sword of might and the potion of strength. I was going to give him the Caledor's Bane and I actually have a list all set up with him equipped with the Caledor's Bane but then as I was delivering mail today I was thinking that I could give him the sword of might and he'll have a strength 5 when attacking even though I'm actually losing one point of strength on the charge or two points of strength if he had the Caledor's Bane, but if I'm charging the black coach I'll be using the potion of strength and well anything else I'll charge I'll have strength 5 on the charge but I'll have, in each additional round of combat, a strength 5. So since this unit is going to be a one hit wonder against the black coach I rather make it a strength 8 hit instead of a strength 7 because I would rather wound on 2+ instead of 3+. Granted I'm spending 15 points on the sword and another 30 points on the potion compared to only 35 points on the Caledor's Bane. I only decided to go this way because well I'm facing Vampire Counts and I would rather have a constant strength 5 attack instead of a strength 7 on the charge and strength 4 in father sequence rounds of combat after the charge. So what do you think?
Desert icon
Assassin

Post by Desert icon »

Usually, if I close my eyes and pretend it isn't there, sucking away at my power dice, it goes away. It tends to work like a charm.

If that almost-foolproof strategy fails, I like using a steroid-freak Dreadlord with Hydra Blade and Potion of Strength to guarantee that thing dies dead and stays dead. May not be the most effective way of killing it, but it's flashy and fun, and dead coach = good coach.

Mount is usually Cold one to keep it cheap and avoid the hassle of running away in terror.

Creedence's suggestion is what I lean to. The key is that you have to be the one charging though, not the other way around. If that thing is charging you, well, there go a bunch of spear elves that could otherwise be used for CR.
Shadowblade...
Trainee Warrior

Post by Shadowblade... »

Truth is the Black Coach is a serious road problem, if you aren´t careful engough you´ll be road kill before you can say saucy nachos, specially if it gets pimped up by a gangsta vampire

My ideas to deal with such a public road enemy

The chariot popping assassin of doom (or traffic officer of ultrasound speed detector): rending stars + manbane, gets 3 st7 shots at it that hit on 2+, if placed in a shade unit you might hit it early on.

Also good old RBT: hit with +1 (Monster truck chariots are large targets, mind you) and have str6 with d3 wounds, two of them might just get the job done.

A CoK charge Might also put an end to the coaches days of transit rule violations.

Master on flying pony (or any other "ride") with str 7 attacks (caledors bane or crack potion + any equipment). I like the pony because of cheap flying, but terror might be an issue.

Static Combat resolution (aka speed bumps) if they manage to survive the charge.

But if the coach rider decides he doesnt want to ge bogged down by mundane speed bumpers (goes ethereal) thats another story...
Death to the weaklings!!, for anyone that is strong enough can serve us well....
Bele
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Bele »

The chariot popping assassin of doom (or traffic officer of ultrasound speed detector): rending stars + manbane, gets 3 st7 shots at it that hit on 2+, if placed in a shade unit you might hit it early on.

Or 3 S6 attacks depending on how you play it.

S7 attacks, lots of S7 attacks to be sure to kill it is what you need IMO.