tactics against dwarfs

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

In-ghost
Trainee Warrior

tactics against dwarfs

Post by In-ghost »

Hi there,
yesterday i've been on my first tournament (only tiny one, 1000pt army). As i mostly play against HE,WE and WoCh i didn't really know what to expect from other races but in the end i was 5th out of 10 so i'm satisfied. I played 4 batlles, all of them were massacres. Twice i played enemy which i have already met (WE and HE)-these were the two batlles i won. The other times it was my precius Druchii legions who got massacred. First time-against empire- i knew what got wrong (general fled in 1 round after her unit took a few casuelties from pistoliers, taking all my magic with her..) and with better luck i could probably draw, even win. But fighting dwarfs was really new experience. Here i don't really know what got wrong or where i made mistakes, though i think next time it might be better to concentrate all of my magic/shooting on one unit and only after softening it a bit charge it with COK in the front and if possible with DRs in the flank/rear. (until this batlle COKs with HB BSB could charge anything and brake it immediately, therefore never loosing their hate and additionl attacks so did't expect them to stuck into combat for so long, no to speak of loosing it... truly noobish illusion i know)
So could you please share any experiences of how to fight those big blocks of dwarfs with their T and AS?
thanks a lot
Stay (sic)
Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

They're incredibly boring to play, so you're not the only one suffering. There is a thread here that might give a bit of insight, the tactics are still valid.
Borog
Beastmaster

Post by Borog »

Well, as a dwarf and druchii player I must say I find the dwarfs to be simply awesome. You have to use your mobility to the fullest. Silence his artillery as fast as possible, and this can be hard for us as dwarf crew are the hardest ones in the game.

But essentially you have to use his lack of mobility against him. DR are your biggest asset here. When you break a dwarf unit you take out a lot of points, and you're almost guaranteed to catch him. The problem is just breaking them ;)
So you need to Flank charge! Dwarfs are masters of SCR and not dying! So hit hard with CoK in the front and DR at the side.

I have actually managed to take out 20 miners with a DR rear attack. Hit them hard and negate their rank bonus, or don't bother at all, cause you wont win a prolonged fight.
Calibisto
Corsair

Post by Calibisto »

Same as Borog I also have dwarf as a second army.

People always complain that dwarfs are boring. Dwarfs are have a mv of 3 in a game where movement plays a important role. With that "handicap" you're never going to see brilliant tactical moves from a Dwarf. Simply because they can't.
Sanity is highly overrated.
Panzer bill
Slave on the Altar

Post by Panzer bill »

I have a few questions...(this year will be my first time using full DE's in a local campaign).

I am building lists against my opponents and was thinking of a list to play to suerprise him (2 dwarf players). I was thinking of going super magic heavy (1 SS, and 2 reg sorc, and a witch hag with CoB). ALL sorceresses will be maxed in lvl.

On top of this, I was tinking to bring 3 assassins. 1 of them would have the bound item that lets you fly out 20 inches and charge. THis way an assassin could easily kill crews. He would be focused on my DRs and Harpies comming for his arty crews.

Has anyone ever had good results with assassin in this role and heavy magic including bound items? I mean, the Dwarves are good at despelling, but they cant be THAT good...are they?
Borog
Beastmaster

Post by Borog »

Dwarfs are very good at dispelling in games under 2000pts, but when you can bring a SS to the table you should do quite well. Cause dwarfs usually don't take many runesmiths as they can't cast spells and are mediocre fighters. Unless he brings an anvil.

So if you tool up the assassin with manbane he should be able to take out a warmachine crew though it might take him more then one round. Maybe you should consider giving one of the sorceresses shadow magic as well?
Panzer bill
Slave on the Altar

Post by Panzer bill »

we play games at 2500 pts.

I am doing the math and my casting dice seem to be around 10 plus bound items (that generate dice) plus spells that generate dice. Thats alot of dice! How many dice can the dwarves have????

I am sacrificing my CoK though as I will not have points for them and no heroes that can fight, other than the witch hag, but i do not plan on putting her in combat.
Brokenstone
Cold One Knight

Post by Brokenstone »

well you will have far more than 10 power dice if you use power of darkness properly, and realistically, that should make sufficient magic available although, what are your delivery packages for those assassins going to be, cause with that much spent on magic, you still need 3 units to deliver the assassins with, and you are going to probably use a warrior unit for the dagger wielding sorceress. How many points does the assassins and 3 sorcs take up in your list?

Not to mention the cauldron, that is probably not that useful unless you have enough infantry to use it constantly.

Mind you i have never played a game over 2000 so i don't really know balancing and unit issues after that. Seems like a very heavy points sink in characters by the looks of things though
Diederikiii
Shade

Post by Diederikiii »

I recently played a 1500pt battle against those stunties.

And how did I do it I toke 3 lvl 2's

-PoK, Tome of furion, Dark magic (Chill wind, Doom bolt and Blade wind(? the d6 Ws 5 S4 atacks)

-Darkstar cloak, Metal lore (commandement of brass (you can put a warmachine of duty for 1 turn) and the lead thingie (giving a -1 penalty on to hit and armoursave in CC)

- the 6+ Wsv thingie, Focus familiar, Fire lore ( I only remmber one spell cause I didn't use the other one, ofcourse confligiration of DOOM)

btw one of the wizzys was on a steed

3* 7harpies
3 untis of spears (10,15,20)
BG 14
Corsairs 14

So plan take harpies a canon fodder and crew killers (1 unit manged to kill like 7 thunderes WTF, an other 7 harpies decended on the organ gun killing of al the crew)

so 1 wizzy in a unit and 2 in...... the wood in front of his war machines and his army and with his slow movement hahahahaha

my magic owend taking out so much.

I think -2K pt games magic is a great aspect its so powerfull.
how many dispel scrolls will your opponent have ,2?
against the stunties with 9 PD and the power of darkness spel pfff let him try ti dispell
Zakath the slaughterer
Master of Puppets

Post by Zakath the slaughterer »

Blade wind(? the d6 Ws 5 S4 atacks)

The what? We don't have any spell that does that. Blade Wind does CC attacks but 3D6 and not with WS5...

Harpies and Dark Riders are the way to go against Dawi. Dark Steed Masters with the PoK can hunt warmachines quite nicely
Master of puppets I'm pulling your strings/
Twisting your mind and smashing your dreams/
Blinded by me, you cant see a thing/
Just call my name, `cause Ill hear you scream
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Magic does work against dwarves, even when they are prepared to it.
It is useful to take in addition to your numerous PD the assassins's cloak.
See D.R.A.I.C.H. Best use of Power of Darkness for getting 21 powerdice (let alone the cloak).
Metal Lore is really nice against dwarves.

On the bad side, we loose a shooting war against them.
Still, take some shooting to take care of the gyrocopter.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Cougar_roger
Cold One Knight

Post by Cougar_roger »

let him go first. Even if you win the roll to see who goes first, defer and take out some of his shooting for the first turn. If he has an organ and thunderers, they both have 24 inch range and if you let him go first, you will be out of range on turn 1. The only thing he will have to shoot you with are his guess range artillery.
bow down before the one you serve, you're going to get what you deserve...
Rivers
Slave on the Altar

Post by Rivers »

What about if your are not packing 10+ PD, and the dwarfs play the ussual gunline/artillery orgy list. is it better to go first and maybe you survive to get to war machines on turn 2? basically, how do you get an edge against shooty dwarfs without magic?
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Shooty dwarves are really a pain. If you try to play gunline against gunline, you will loose.
If you charge in the open, you will suffer a lot of casualties and loose.
It sucks but when they play otherwise they loose, don't they? ;)

One way to go is with a lot of terrain.
If you can hide, you can play boring point denial (I cannot get close to you? You cannot shoot at me either. Last to move wins 1/4 tables). At least it will force him next time to think about gyro or miners and get after you.

If you want to play aggressively aginst a gunline, you will have to face one or two rounds of shooting before getting to melee.
It is necessary to reduce it to only one round, thanks to speed (cavalry/flying units) or terrain (progress and hide in turn 1 - position for charge in turn 2 - charge in turn 3), or screens (harpies).
Even that way, he is likely to destroy some of your regiments enough to be able to win the following melee.
One way to reduce it is to concentrate your army on a single side, so that half of his shooting is out of range.

Harpies make a good screen if you lack terrain where to hide. When they get killed or flee, the rest of the army don't care.
DR are too expansive for that purpose, they need to be screened themselves with harpies.
Hydras resist more normal firing than other troops. The good thing is they are missile magnets that help the rest of your troops to survive.

After screening, if harpies are still alive, they can charge a warmachine. The dwarves gunhandlers are tough and stubborn and harpies don't hate, so do not expect harpies to wipe oaway the canons.
However, a cannon stuck in melee doesn't shoot.

Ban slow, expensive troops as BG or execs unless you can hide/screen them. Corsair's SDC don't help them much against firearms.
Chariots get destroyed by a single cannonball, it makes the dwarf player happy :cry: .
However, a big unit of shielded spears may have enough wounds to survive until getting to melee, where the assassin will do his job.

Overall:
a lot of terrain
hydras
dragon
many, many harpies
spears and assassins
possibly some shades and COK, in big units
little or no shooting
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}