The 7th ed. Cult of Slaanesh project - Closed

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Weenth
Black Guard

Post by Weenth »

Merlin wrote:Is the Tiara of the Dark Fairy Queen supposed to be an Enchanted Item? From the rules it sounds like only a wizard can use it.
Yes, it is an Enchanted Item. I toyed with idea of making it Arcane for a moment (that's where misleading wording came from), but decided against it, as there's already fierce competition there, while only few other Enchanted Items.

I've already corrected item's text to make it clearer, thanks for noticing.
Join the Pink side! ;)

7th ed Cult of Slaanesh
projectlinky here
Weenth
Black Guard

Post by Weenth »

Update (v.0.942)

- changed Effigy of Excess rules (now it additonally gives EotPG rule to all marked unit Champions)
- Devoted cost lowered (14 pts now)
- included 'economic' variant of Devoted for tryout (details in the document)
- a few other, minor changes (removed comment on Northern Warband rule, layout & format corrections)
Join the Pink side! ;)

7th ed Cult of Slaanesh
projectlinky here
Grandmasterfred
Executioner

Post by Grandmasterfred »

looks good but i cant help but wonder why chaos warriors are a rare choice knights i can under stand but warriors :?:
Weenth
Black Guard

Post by Weenth »

grandmasterfred wrote:looks good but i cant help but wonder why chaos warriors are a rare choice knights i can under stand but warriors :?:
There are two reasons we placed them there:

- Fluff-wise Cult forces focus on elven cultists and Marauders of the Hung tribe. Daemons are also mentioned in the background. Chaos Warriors are not, so considering the big number of units already available to the Cult the question arised whether they could be droped.

However, their presence of course can be easily explained in background terms(they might ally with Mortathi by themselves or maybe their warband is lead by Anointed), especially considering shortage of official background for CoS. Also, they were available in 6th ed CoS list and that was the key point, as we wanted all miniatures from 6th ed list to be still usable in some form

So the decision was - keep them, but make them rare (BTW, note that Chaos Knights are even rarer - they take 2 Rare choices per unit). That gives them availability comparable to that of the DoW units, which IMO fits them.

- Second reason was that they're the most resilient of the troops available to the Cult. Undoubtedly the army needs something hard (especially as 'no big monsters' was another part of the theme), but as they're the opposite of main theme (fast & fragile elites backed up by cheap & fragile expanadable troops) again Rare section seemed to fit them most.

BTW - placing all Northern Warband units in Rare did make that section a bit crowdy (especially compared to the Special choices), but I think I finally found the way to solve that problem - see the latest update (0.95) [not uploaded yet, finishing it right now, so will be up very soon]
Join the Pink side! ;)

7th ed Cult of Slaanesh
projectlinky here
Weenth
Black Guard

Post by Weenth »

Ok, here's the update (v.0.95)

- added 2 new Special Characters (Lorellia & Netharyel)
- changed Morathi rules (she now provides 3 SP)
- added info about SP requirements at each daemonic entry in the list
- changed requirements of the Fiend of Slaanesh (Special slot, 2 SP now)
- other minor changes (wording of summoning rules, some typos)
Join the Pink side! ;)

7th ed Cult of Slaanesh
projectlinky here
Merlin
Slave on the Altar

Post by Merlin »

Why the changes to the Fiends?
Weenth
Black Guard

Post by Weenth »

As I wrote in an answer to grandmasterfred's post - The Rare section was a bit crowdy as it was (with 5 choices) and special section quite short (only 4 choices), I've been looking for a way to even that a bit for some time, but only recently came with solution.

I've considered putting Fiend into Special before, but a conclusion was that it would make him clearly better choice on average than the Seekers. For similiar cost (1 Fiend is about cost of 2 Seekers) you get higher T and more wounds - and resilience is something that most CoS units lack. Fiends can't have CG and have fewer Attacks, but OTOH they have higher Strength too.

Hence 2 Summoning Points requirement - this way in most cases you won't take more Fiend units than you would if it were a Rare choice, while at the same time giving additional advantage to Seekers who require only 1 SP.

And with that change unit slots come as:

Core - 6 (1 doesn't count towards minimum)
Core/Special - 1
Special - 5
Rare - 4

Which I think fits other 7th ed armies better than previous division.

Anyway, if you see reasons for Fiend to remain Rare I'm open to discussion. ;)
Join the Pink side! ;)

7th ed Cult of Slaanesh
projectlinky here
Merlin
Slave on the Altar

Post by Merlin »

I see now. Getting daemons in a list not led by a Supreme Sorc is getting more difficult though.
Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

May be warriors and knights should be easier to get if you have an Anointed in your list, to balance out the lack of demons? (2 warriors units for one rare, and knights only take up one rare slot).

This however would shift the balance of the army, and might make them a little too hardy? This could also cause a problem in large games, where you have one of each lord (you would get the SP's from the Supreme Sorceress, and the units from the Anointed)
[hope you don't mind my random babel] ~ Take a look to the sky just before you die, its the last time you will ~ my pics
Weenth
Black Guard

Post by Weenth »

Mr_PieChee wrote:May be warriors and knights should be easier to get if you have an Anointed in your list, to balance out the lack of demons? (2 warriors units for one rare, and knights only take up one rare slot).

This however would shift the balance of the army, and might make them a little too hardy? This could also cause a problem in large games, where you have one of each lord (you would get the SP's from the Supreme Sorceress, and the units from the Anointed)

It probably would, so should Anointed grant some bonus for unit inclusion, I'd rather make it more limited. Probably something like 'you may take one unit of Warriors or Knights as Anointed's bodyguard. These count as a special choice; Anointed must remain within his bodyguard unit'.

But ATM I don't think such bonus is needed, Anointed may not grant additional SP, but unlike KoS he doesn't use up any either.

The limit on daemons was intentional. The idea was a bit similar to 5th Chaos list, where you had one main part of the army (warriors, daemons or beasts), the rest serves as allies - no more than 25% of the list. In CoS you don't choose the main part - it's defined as druchii (+marauders). But you still have some influence on available allies.

In 2000 pts army led by Anointed taking 2 Sorceresses and Effigy is IMO quite reasonable and you get 3 SP this way (4 if adding the Rod) - this might be a unit of Fiend and a unit of Seekers (maybe led by Herald). That's about 300-400 pts, about 300 more potential points on daemons if you have SS, and you still have option of NW units for variety.

This means that at least 25-50% of your army has to be spent on druchii/marauders in any case, but IMO it fits the army fluff, and limits on choices balances extra variety that CoS list has (about 25). For comparison: DE - 20; WoC - 21; DoC - 23 (though that's mostly due to numerous Character choices); HE - 19; WE - 18.

As for each Lord choice attractiveness, I think each has its good sides. Don't have time for writing full comparison now, but in short&rough, compared in different aspects to 'typical' (human) general they go like:

SS|KoS|Anointed <-Aspect

-|+|+ <-Offensive Power
-|0|0 <-Resilience/Defensive Power
+|+|0 <-Magic
+|0+ <-Mobility potential
+|-|0 <-Influence on unit choice:
0|-|- <-General's Ld bonus

+: considerably better
-: considerably worse
0: same or not very big difference

So it seems to me they all have their ups and downs (of course you could go for more deailed comparison than 0/+/- on 6 aspects, but in all I've made so far they're usually comparable, and if any one came as slightly worse it was KoS).

Now, if comparing only above aspects Anointed indeed seems to lack something - the 'Unique Selling Point'.

SS is best wizard available and helps most with army composition.
KoS is most resilient, making him best fighter.
And Anointed... he's quite good at many things, but never the best one in any of aspects given above:
- much better fighter than SS, but a bit worse than KoS
- better wizard than most fighty characters, but worse than other Lord CoS choices
- more mobile than KoS, but no better at Movement than SS (or Master, for that matter)
- etc.

That makes him a bit of 'Jack of all trades', and that can be a 'Unique Selling Point' too, especially if you add to that flexibility of his potential builds (150 pts of items/gifts, largest choice of mundane equipment and, EoE excluded, full choice of mounts).
That, and his coolness and uniqueness of course. ;)
Join the Pink side! ;)

7th ed Cult of Slaanesh
projectlinky here
Sezax
Black Guard

Post by Sezax »

When it comes to compability of lore of Slaanesh and our new pantheon, I suggest you can be inspirew by my view:

http://sezax.wordpress.com/2009/05/14/cytharai-x-cadai/
Weenth
Black Guard

Post by Weenth »

Sezax wrote:When it comes to compability of lore of Slaanesh and our new pantheon, I suggest you can be inspirew by my view:

http://sezax.wordpress.com/2009/05/14/cytharai-x-cadai/
Looks interesting, especially idea that Cytharai are actually children of Slaanesh. :D

Could you tell which facts are taken from official/half-official (eg. BL) fluff and which parts and ideas are yours?

BTW seems to me you were inspired by 40K background too? I'm not really up to date with that (aside from owning II ed. Eldar Codex and reading 40K section of old RoCh books, I have only a brief knowledge of 40K), is there much of use on eldar/gods in later publications? (I know GW currently denies any link between their two universes, but since they produce a lot of 'strange coinsidences' themselves that seems like a good source for inspiration ;) )
Join the Pink side! ;)

7th ed Cult of Slaanesh
projectlinky here
Yemeth
Shade

Post by Yemeth »

Some notes i've taken about the grammar in the first 5 pages of the AB

Structure:
Page, Title of article/paragraph, Paragraph, Line
Quotation ; Suggested change

Page 1, "Number of Slaanesh", Paragraph 1, Line 5,
"of next Cult's player turn" ; "of the player's next turn"

Page 1, "Number of Slaanesh", Paragraph 2, Line 1,
"Blessed units with Mark" ; "Units blessed with the Mark"

Page 1, "Daemon Summoning", Paragraph 2, Lines 1-3
Paragraph 2 ; "The amount of Summoning Points that the army generates may never exceed its SP requirements, where these requirements are given by the total of Summoning Points necessary for fielding all daemoning units in the army."

Page 1, "Eye of the Pleasure God", Paragraph 1, Line 2
"able" ; "able to"

Page 3, "Effigy of Excess", "Devotion to the end", Paragraph 2, Line 1,
"placed in Devoted unit" ; "placed in a Devoted unit"

Page 3, "Effigy of Excess", "Devotion to the end", Paragraph 2, Line 2,
"remind" ; "remain"

Page 3, "Effigy of Excess", "Glory of the Pleasure God", Paragraph 1, Line 2,
"the Cult player" ; "the player"
further changes of "Cult player"/"Cult's player" to "player" won't be noted.

Page 4, "Norhtern Warband", Paragraph 1, Line 1,
"the hardened Warriors" ; "hardened warriors"

Page 4, "Norhtern Warband", Paragraph 1, Lines 2-3,
"Though, unlike Marauders they might be sceptical about Morathi's unique position to Slaanesh" ; "Though, unike Marauders, they might be sceptical about Morathi's unique relation with Slaanesh"
(not sure here, but "uniqe position to Slaanesh" is IMO wrong)

Page 4, "Norhtern Warband", Paragraph 1, Line 6,
"If Anointed" ; "If an Anointed"

Page 4, "Mere mortals", Paragraph 1, Line 2
"When mararuder" ; "When a marauder"

Page 4, "Mere mortals", Paragraph 1, Lines 3-4
"past it doesn't cause panic in Dark Elf units." ; "past a Dark Elf unit it doesn't have to roll on panic."
Last edited by Yemeth on Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Odi ergo sum - Druchii's illumination

DE noble is talking to a HE prisoner

DE: 'Do you know the difference between you and me?'

HE: 'Hmmmmmgh'

DE: 'That's right, I've still got my tounge.' - Anon
Weenth
Black Guard

Post by Weenth »

Yemeth wrote:Page 1, "Daemon Summoning", Paragraph 2, Lines 1-3
Paragraph 2 ; "The amount of Summoning Points that the army generates may never exceed its SP requirements, where these requirements are given by the total of Summoning Points necessary for fielding all daemoning units in the army."
I think it should rather be 'must equal or exceed' rather than 'may never exceed'? Anyway, I've rewriten whole text of this rule, hope it's clearer now.

Page 3, "Effigy of Excess", "Glory of the Pleasure God", Paragraph 1, Line 2,
"the Cult player" ; "the player"
further changes of "Cult player"/"Cult's player" to "player" won't be noted.
Corrected. I've checked whole document and corrected all 'Cult's player' to 'Cult player's'. I've also changed it to simply 'player' except places where it might cause confusion.

Page 4, "Mere mortals", Paragraph 1
Changed whole second sentence to 'Units with this rule never cause Panic tests to Dark Elf units.', makes it a bit shorter than before.
I've also corrected all the other things you've listed.

Thanks for taking the time and effort to write it down, Yemeth. :)
Join the Pink side! ;)

7th ed Cult of Slaanesh
projectlinky here
Yemeth
Shade

Post by Yemeth »

Weenth wrote:I think it should rather be 'must equal or exceed' rather than 'may never exceed'? Anyway, I've rewriten whole text of this rule, hope it's clearer now.

Yeah. that's the one. My bad, sry.

Should I go through the rest or is it proofread already?
btw good thinking with the panic thing, couldn't put my finger on a proper way to say it, that's the one.

All glory to the Dark Prince, all glory to the hypnotoad!

Weenth
Black Guard

Post by Weenth »

Yemeth wrote:Should I go through the rest or is it proofread already?
I've only checked the 'Cult player' parts now so if you're willing to proofread the rest of the text, by all means please do.
Join the Pink side! ;)

7th ed Cult of Slaanesh
projectlinky here
Yemeth
Shade

Post by Yemeth »

Some more grammar-nazism then!

Page 5, "Elixir of damnation", Paragraph 1, Lines 5-6,
"unless it can pass a Leadership" ; "unless it passes a Leadership"

Not sure about the name "Daggerdance" since Dechala uses swords.

Perhaps you could care to describe Svenna & Isormre a little more. A "newcommer" to the SoC is hit by the inevitable wave of "what?". Some little story or a more detailed general description should suffice.

Page 7, "Alluring voice", Paragraph 3, Line 2,
"below songs" ; "songs below"

Page 7, "March of Exstatic Triumph", Paragraph 1, Line 1,
"The song" ; "This song"

Page 7, "Hymn to the beauty/alternate version", Paragraph 1, Line 8,
"The spells" ; "Spells"

Page 15, "Banner of The Great Temptator", Whole,
quite a lot of things. IMHO, I'd just remove the banner, it's complicated and what we call an "over-combo". I'd stick with the Banner of Nagarythe, a slightly modified Banner of Nagarythe or at least I'd make the banner cheaper and it would only make the character attack his own unit or something. (+ the thing with original owner recieving the VPs makes the Banner veeeery tricky)

I'd keep the rod a +1sp only
also, imho, the Neophyte knights are rather weak, they should have S4 IMHO
- edited
Last edited by Yemeth on Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Sorry if this is a really silly question, but...

why are warriors 7 points (8 with shield) rather than 6/7? Similiarly, why are crossbowmen 11 points (12 with shield) rather than 10/11?

I can see the advantage of the unit over normal warriors (being able to have Slaanesh magic items etc), but that logic doesn't appear to be held throughout the army list (shades are still 16 pts base, for example, even though they have additional Slanesh options too...)

I do like the list generally - it seems both very reasonable, balanced and, to be honest, is what warhammer is really about to me (using a rich diversity of troops in different combinations that might occur in the warhammer world. In recent years GW has (for understandable reasons) gone for more rigid lists that make no logical sense for the world that the units are fighting in (e.g. Malekith's degree, for example, that all warriors of Naggaroth must carry spears and light armour).

The list does still feel a bit divided though, as in it still reads a bit like "dark elf section, chaos section, dark elf section, chaos section". That may be the idea, but its a bit jarring?

Really like it overall though and think it has awesome potential Very cool =)
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

Its quite simple. Points arn't based on stats, there based on a comparison between other units available to the army, and where they are available. The warriors are core, but we also have the cheap and cheerful Marauders. The exact reasons were discussed in one of the cults early threads a long time ago, but its balances out better.
[hope you don't mind my random babel] ~ Take a look to the sky just before you die, its the last time you will ~ my pics
Weenth
Black Guard

Post by Weenth »

deathknight27 wrote:Sorry if this is a really silly question, but...

why are warriors 7 points (8 with shield) rather than 6/7? Similiarly, why are crossbowmen 11 points (12 with shield) rather than 10/11?

I can see the advantage of the unit over normal warriors (being able to have Slaanesh magic items etc), but that logic doesn't appear to be held throughout the army list (shades are still 16 pts base, for example, even though they have additional Slanesh options too...)
Hi Deathknight! :)

Not a silly question at all. Just like Mr_PieChee said; Different cost of Warriors in CoS list comes from their context (ie Cult of Slaanesh list, which is in many aspect quite different to regular DE) rather than changes to the unit itself. In cross-over comparisons between the armies, the Warriors come as a bit undercosted, but in the context of regular DE list that was simply a nice bonus, neither game-breaking, nor creating underdog choices in the list. Meanwhile, in CoS list at such cost they would make Marauders largley obsolete (why take human meatshields when you can have better, elven meatshields effectively at the same cost?).

Higher cost of Crossbowen comes both from the fact that 'naked' Warrior cost is higher in CoS (with regular RXB price on top), as well as from idea that this list should have less emphasis on shooting than regular DE. You can also see that in incorporating both RXBs and Spearmen into one entry - this way your RXBs cannot have 'shooty' champion, but can get 'fighty' one and a magical banner, giving them bigger potential as an 'all-round' unit (similar to Lothern Sea Guard).

deathknight27 wrote:I do like the list generally - it seems both very reasonable, balanced and, to be honest, is what warhammer is really about to me (using a rich diversity of troops in different combinations that might occur in the warhammer world. In recent years GW has (for understandable reasons) gone for more rigid lists that make no logical sense for the world that the units are fighting in (e.g. Malekith's degree, for example, that all warriors of Naggaroth must carry spears and light armour).

The list does still feel a bit divided though, as in it still reads a bit like "dark elf section, chaos section, dark elf section, chaos section". That may be the idea, but its a bit jarring?

Really like it overall though and think it has awesome potential Very cool =)
Glad to see you like it. :) As for 'divided feel', that indeed was the idea - The whole list was inteded to a bit like 5th ed Chaos list - much variety, but in 'chunks' rather than wholy mixed.

Fluff-wise the CoS army is an alliance kept by force of one person (Morathi) rather than unified force. Marauders follow Morathi, but neither them, nor Druchii have forgotten that they fought each other not so long ago. Other Chaos Mortals are even more untrustfull towards Dark Elves, while Druchii OTOH see all the humans more as tools rather than commrades (though they kidna miss the point that human or elf, they're all tools to Morathi and Slaanesh anyway ;) ). Hence keeping of unit-joining restrictions of 6th ed list (it also helps avoiding confusion with rules, like how to deal with druchii characters in daemonic units).

There was idea of unifying the list a bit by creating a single magic items list, but IMO it wouldn't work well (effectively it would still be two lists, just presented together with 'X only' adnotation at every other item).

That said, I think the divided feel might be currently enhanced by temporary worknames of the sections. For example rather than 'DE items' and 'Slaanesh items' there will be 'Valuts of Ghrond' and 'Artefacts of Slaanesh' lists.

Yemeth wrote:Not sure about the name "Daggerdance" since Dechala uses swords.
Well, the name's taken from her 5th ed rules, so I'd think it's fine. IMO it's more of a poetic title, so some inaccuracy shouldn't be a problem.

Perhaps you could care to describe Svenna & Isormre a little more. A "newcommer" to the SoC is hit by the inevitable wave of "what?". Some little story or a more detailed general description should suffice.
Svenna and Isormre of course have their background, you can find it here. I simply haven't put it in the document, as I left all the fluff out of it for initial draft. I'm currently remaking whole file to fit the 7th ed style, so the background description will be there.

Page 15, "Banner of The Great Temptator", Whole,
quite a lot of things. IMHO, I'd just remove the banner, it's complicated and what we call an "over-combo". I'd stick with the Banner of Nagarythe, a slightly modified Banner of Nagarythe or at least I'd make the banner cheaper and it would only make the character attack his own unit or something. (+ the thing with original owner recieving the VPs makes the Banner veeeery tricky)
It's hard for me to comment on this one, as BotGT hasn't been playtested yet (unless I forget about some report, the list has been tested in 500-2250 pts range so far). It's a modification of Azazel's special rule (5th ed RoC Special Character). While the original rule was fun it was definitely too powerfull for current editon (orignal worked in B-T-B contact only, but the effect was permanent rather than for one turn only).

Not sure what you do you mean by 'tricky', but awarding VPs worked very well - you could get additional force by 'stealing' a character, but this also meant that you could loose more VPs to the enemy.
Non-permantent effect might make things a bit more difficult, but since you can't attack your own models under current rules you'd simply have to remember who killed the affected model.

In any case, this banner was intended as big, badass banner for use in large battles (IMO taking it in anything less than 3000 pts is asking yourself for getting BSB killed... though it still might be fun ;) ), so I'd rather keep it at current cost. The effect is still subject to change if the balance requires it (eg it might have shorter range). It might also change altogether, but then it won't be Banner of Nagarythe (as it doesn't fit the fluff), nor slight modification of it (as I feel the most powerful item in the army should be something original).

I'd keep the rod a +1sp only
I thought about that, but I wanted the item to have some real (in-battle) effect rather than just affecting army composition. It's current bonus is one use only and so situational (since Sorceress can't join daemons, they rarely will be in 6" while needing to roll for instability), so worth 5 pts at most. +1 SP might come as free or almost free on top of that, but remember that the Sorceress can't take any othe Arcane Items this way.

also, imho, the Neophyte knights are rather weak

Well, admitedly, they are a bit. Though not more than regular CoK, as apart from the Mark they're virtually the same. ;) And in CoS list they gain some importance, as they're one of the few high-AS units, providing also high-S punch on the enemy.

Also, inclusion of Netharyel makes them better (if still a bit unreliable).

[edit: just read your update; yes, they should be S4, just like CoK, S3 was simply a mistake.]

All comments not metioned above have been corrected. Thanks for your feedback and checking through the list, Yemeth. :)

I'll upload the updated file when it's ready, though this time it might take a couple weeks, as formal/layout changes are rather big and I currently have got a lot of real-life work to do. :roll:

What you can expect then is:
- final decisions on all parts with alternate variant (sometimes simply one of the two proposed versions, sometimes something a bit different from both)
- modified Eye of the Pleasure God table and two new magic items (including banner granting Poisoned Attacks), replacing two of the current ones (the intention is to give CoS list a bit more help with high T/AS opponents).
- hopefully also one new Special Character
- things like summary chart, background texts for the units etc.

Also, there are two issues with which I'd need some more help.

1. Background texts.
We've got very few of these ready. Some of the entries are described in regular Army Books or some other official sources, though I'd rather have these modified, not copy-pasted, as we don't want any trouble with GW lawyers. ;) Usually some changes would be needed to better fit with CoS context anyway.

So, in short currently we have ready or half-ready fluff-text for:
- Svenna & Isormre
- Lorellia
- Netharyel
- Cultists (+Infiltrators)
- Neophyte Knights

Following units have official descriptions which might be used after small changes:
- Morathi
- Dechala
- The Masque
- Supreme Sorceress
- Anointed
- Keeper of the Secrets
- Sorceress
- Dark Elf Master
- Herald of Slaanesh
- Dark Elf Warriors*
- Daemonettes of Slaanesh
- Chaos Furies*
- Marauders of Chaos (the Hung)
- Marauder Horsmen (the Hung)
- Dark Riders
- Shades
- Seekers of Slaanesh
- Fiend of Slaanesh
- Reaper Bolt Throwers
- Chaos Warriors of Slaanesh*
- Chaos Knights of Slaanesh*
- Spawn of Slaanesh*

*Those marked with asterix probably will require a bit more work.

We have currently no usable fluff text for:
- Effigy of Excess
- Marauder Warlord
- Devoted of Slaanesh

If any of you guys is willing to take care of one or more entries in this respect, this would be of great help. :)

2.Feedback on Chaos Warriors
Now, I haven't seen these guys used in any of playtesting games, making them the only unit not tested so far (except for KoS and the Masque, but these seem fine). Personally I haven't used them as - at least in small & medium sized games - they never were attractive enough, compared to the other Rare choices. Even using up all Rares on a single Knights unit in 2000 pts battle seemed a better choice to me (as the Knights can easily keep up with the rest of the army).

One solution would be moving them to Special, though I'd rather not do that, basing on background and 'feel' of the list.

Another option would be simply removing them, though this would clash with one of the assumptions of this list (namely: all models from 6th ed CoS armies should still be usable).

The best which I came up with so far was replacing them with Chosen. This way they'd be more attractive rare choice while still allowing use of the same models.

Alternatively, if this turns out to be too good, the reduced version would be: 'one Warriors of Slaanesh unit per Anointed may be upgraded to Chosen of Slaanesh'.

So, what do you think? Has anyone used them and can share their experience?

P.S. Sorry for the length of this post. I'll try to keep it shorter in future. :roll:
Join the Pink side! ;)

7th ed Cult of Slaanesh
projectlinky here
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Thanks Mr PieChee and Weenth. The additional points cost on both the warrior and the crossbowman makes a lot of sense now :) I definitley agree it's a very good value unit in the DE list and agree that the higher points cost makes sense for the Cult of Slaanesh list.

Fluff-wise the CoS army is an alliance kept by force of one person (Morathi) rather than unified force. Marauders follow Morathi, but neither them, nor Druchii have forgotten that they fought each other not so long ago. Other Chaos Mortals are even more untrustfull towards Dark Elves, while Druchii OTOH see all the humans more as tools rather than commrades (though they kidna miss the point that human or elf, they're all tools to Morathi and Slaanesh anyway ).

That makes a lot of sense and sounds like it does fit very well with the idea behind the list.

That said, I think the divided feel might be currently enhanced by temporary worknames of the sections. For example rather than 'DE items' and 'Slaanesh items' there will be 'Valuts of Ghrond' and 'Artefacts of Slaanesh' lists.

That will be an ideal fix I think :)

I've been thinking of branching out to WoC for a while now, but have never been able to get on board with the lack of flexibility that army list works....this list looks like it might be a good way to combine the fun of both DE and WoC in a few friendly games...

Certainly a lot to think about and a solid seeming extra dimension to the game. If I get a chance to playtest it at all I'll come back to you with more comments - either way, thanks for doing this though, it seems very awesome so far :)

One other minor comment - the pink colour fonts in the list don't come out very well when printed on a black and white printer. I know this can be worked around by each person trying to print by using their printer properties etc, but wondered if it might be worth making the pink a little darker (or offering a B&W version of the pdf)?
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

I'm back home at the moment, and trying to get some games in. If possible I'm going to convince my opponent to let me play the COS list, and I'm going to try an army with 2 Chaos warrior units and lots of devoted with two effigys. I'm going to use the non economic list, since i'm not a fan of the change in devoted. I'll see how they play. However the effigy change seems reasonable to me (9 to 6 attacks)

As for the chaos warriors, there core in WoC, and so there designed to be used in numbers. Now in CoS there rare, so your only ever going to have a few of them. Therefore it would seem logical that making them a point cheaper would be an option, since it would make them more attractive without out balancing them? Allowing one unit to be chosen per anointed in the army seems like a good idea, and balances out the supreme sorceress summoning points, and core devoted.

Finally I just had a quick flip through and didn't spot a 1+ for devoted. At least one unit of devoted should be mandatory, as in the SoC rules. Sorry if this has been covered before...
Weenth
Black Guard

Post by Weenth »

deathknight27 wrote: Certainly a lot to think about and a solid seeming extra dimension to the game. If I get a chance to playtest it at all I'll come back to you with more comments - either way, thanks for doing this though, it seems very awesome so far Smile

One other minor comment - the pink colour fonts in the list don't come out very well when printed on a black and white printer. I know this can be worked around by each person trying to print by using their printer properties etc, but wondered if it might be worth making the pink a little darker (or offering a B&W version of the pdf)?

Thanks for the warm words, deathknight.

I'll see what can be done with pink. I'm afraid darker shade won't look good, but making additional B&W version is no problem. :)

Mr_PieChee wrote:I'm back home at the moment, and trying to get some games in. If possible I'm going to convince my opponent to let me play the COS list, and I'm going to try an army with 2 Chaos warrior units and lots of devoted with two effigys. I'm going to use the non economic list, since i'm not a fan of the change in devoted. I'll see how they play. However the effigy change seems reasonable to me (9 to 6 attacks)
That list sounds interesting, I hope your opponent will agree. BTW two notes:

- While one unit can benefit from multiply EoE bonuses, a specific bonus can only be applied once (so if you already have +1M and roll this bonus again, you must re-roll it rather than get +2 M). This is already given in the 'Eye of the Pleasure God' rule, but I think I'll put it in Effigy's 'Glory of the Pleasure God' too, so it's clear it applies there too.

- From the testing so far it looks that 14 pt, 2(+1)A version of Devoted will stay. However, this also means that EoE will stay at 9 A too, as Number of Attacks on both are linked. EoE is intended to have enhanced theme of Devoted (fragile but plenty of fast A), just like Warshrine has enhanced theme of ChW (resilient and strong). With just 1 A more than Warshrine, EoE would fall simply to 'fragile'.

Mr_PieChee wrote:As for the chaos warriors, there core in WoC, and so there designed to be used in numbers. Now in CoS there rare, so your only ever going to have a few of them. Therefore it would seem logical that making them a point cheaper would be an option, since it would make them more attractive without out balancing them? Allowing one unit to be chosen per anointed in the army seems like a good idea, and balances out the supreme sorceress summoning points, and core devoted.
I'm not sure that making ChW cheaper would work.

The way I see it, they might have problem with effective interaction with rest of the list, as they will slow down everything except Marauders and, while strong, don't seem strong enough to face enemy as a single unit on its own. Now, I might be wrong here, and we need to playtest them to see if that's the case (so I'm curious about your planned game. I'll also test them myself next time I get the chance).
If they work, then there's no need for change (though upgrade of 1 unit per Anointed still might be usefull). If they don't, making them cheaper IMO won't address the problem. Chosen OTOH, are better suited to fighting on their own (which also makes them more attractive as rare choice, as few elements in CoS can do that), thanks to MI allowance on champion and beefing up by the roll on the EotPG table (including also the fact, that one of possible outcomes is +1M, which makes problem of interacting with rest of the force nonexistant).

MrPieChee wrote:Finally I just had a quick flip through and didn't spot a 1+ for devoted. At least one unit of devoted should be mandatory, as in the SoC rules. Sorry if this has been covered before...
Yes, this one's been discussed before. In short: There are no 1+ units in 7th ed books, so I wanted to remove such restrictions from our list too (also because it limits variety of the lists and whatever the reason, IMO it can be solved in a better way).

The important question is, what was that reason and purpose of 1+ Devoted in 6th ed CoS. As far as I understand, it was intended to prevent unfluffy list and keep the flavour of the Cult in (as Devoted were the only Cult-specific unit then). Now we have 2 (3 if counting Neophyte Knights) units unique to the Cult and we've also put much effort in keeping the useful builds fluffy (hence moving all mortals other than Marauders to rare and limits on daemonic units), so hopefully that 1+ is no longer needed.
Join the Pink side! ;)

7th ed Cult of Slaanesh
projectlinky here
Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

Just spotted something - the cold one mount for a supreme sorceress is 30pts in the druchii list, but only 6 in the cult list.... and only 4 pts for a sorceress... this is looking like its done on purpose... I should really go back and read the original threads.

Is the 4+ ward wave of the Effigy of Excess granted to the 'rider of the monster', i.e. the sorceress? (this isn't included in the rules for the Effigy in the section before the army list. It might be an idea to include all its rules here, as well as in the army list so avoid simple minds like mine getting confused - I guess this will be the plan once the fluff is put together?)

And can a unit of devoted with an Effigy of Excess get the eye of the pleasure god bonus if it doesn't have a champion?
Weenth
Black Guard

Post by Weenth »

Update (v.0.96)

The visual part of the .pdf hasn't changed, as I still didn't have time to do it. However, since there were quite a lot things needing clarification/change I decided to upload updated rules now and leave layout changes for next update.

Anyway, here's what changed:

- added summary of base sizes
- either removed or integrated all alternate variants of rules.
- modified Eye of the Pleasure God table
- removed Rending Sword and Infernal Puppet
- two new Magic Items: Daemon Claws (Magic Weapon) and Noxious Banner (Magic Standard)
- changed Tiara of the Dark Fairy Queen (35 pts now and more dangerous failiture)
- changed Banner of the Great Temptator (125 pts now and modified decription)
- changed rules of Effigy of Excess
- changed Lorellia’s price and rules for her Alluring Voice
- modified Netharyel’s special rule (only affects Cold Ones now, not all mounts in a unit)
- introduced fielding restriction for Marauder Warlord (needs Marauder/Horsemen unit now)
- added Magic Banner option for one unit of Cultists
- corrected Chaos Warriors & Knights entries (Eye of the Pleasure God is noted as ‘champion only’ now)
- introduced Chosen upgrade for Chaos Warriors (with Anointed only)
- various small text corrections, including naming of item/gift sections.

Restriction for MW was something that should have been in the list from the beginning, just somehow got missed.

New items and changes EotPG table should help CoS deal with high T/AS opponents. I removed two items to keep the total the same - Rending Sword was similiar to the Heartseeker and Infernal Puppet was IMO the least fitting/needed of the Arcane Items (compared to other armies this section was very long).

I've added limited Magic Banner option to the Cultists to promote fielding them as bigger, less expandable units.

Changes in TotDFK and BotGT are intended to balance these two items. Won't go into the details of reasoning right now, as I'm a bit tired; if anyone's interested in these I can elaborate on these, just let me know ;) (same goes for the changes I haven't commented on).

Mr_PieChee wrote:Just spotted something - the cold one mount for a supreme sorceress is 30pts in the druchii list, but only 6 in the cult list.... and only 4 pts for a sorceress... this is looking like its done on purpose... I should really go back and read the original threads.
Yes it is. The reason is quite simple - stupidity is quite a big drawback for a spellcaster. I originaly gave this idea in my proposition of balancing house rules for DE (well, of those few unbalanced elements in DE list anyway ;) ). See here: http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=58817 Note - That topic is quite old, hence some small differences in solutions given there and CoS list.

Mr_PieChee wrote:Is the 4+ ward wave of the Effigy of Excess granted to the 'rider of the monster', i.e. the sorceress? (this isn't included in the rules for the Effigy in the section before the army list. It might be an idea to include all its rules here, as well as in the army list so avoid simple minds like mine getting confused - I guess this will be the plan once the fluff is put together?)
Currently 4+ ward is for Effigy only. It might change yet, depending on how well EoE fares after reduction of it's Stubborn-aura. A free ward save for the Sorceress would be quite a big bonus, but OTOH she's likely to end up in combat and her stats are hardly suited to that.

And sorry for the unclarity of the current rules format. There will be a bestiary section with background texts, stats and full rules; just haven't done it yet. ;)

Mr_PieChee wrote:And can a unit of devoted with an Effigy of Excess get the eye of the pleasure god bonus if it doesn't have a champion?
No, it can't. I assume you're speaking of T3 variant, with 'integrated' Devoted unit? Anyway, it should be clear now, as current version of EoE works on it own (although can join units).
Join the Pink side! ;)

7th ed Cult of Slaanesh
projectlinky here