How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Welcome, matey, in the Brotherhood!
Yarrr!
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Promises
Black Guard

Post by Promises »

While my army really isnt a corsair army , I have certainly fallen in love with 10 man strong RHB corsair units. Played them today in a tournament and they did superbly. Once I get my old sairs repainted I'm thinking about fielding a corsair'ish army (containing about 40) which should be fun ^^
I hate sandcastles
Tribun
Shade

Post by Tribun »

Oh boy, why did I see this thread not earlier!! This is grrreat! Perhaps you all like my "Pirate Story", too. Simple follow the "Black Pearl"-link in my signature and enjoy!
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Tribun wrote:Perhaps you all like my "Pirate Story", too. Simple follow the "Black Pearl"-link in [Tribun's army] The crew of the Black Pearl...and enjoy!
Compliments for a great fluffy story about a corsair army with no unit of corsairs!
You're definitively enrolled into the Brotherhood! :D
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Tribun
Shade

Post by Tribun »

Calisson wrote:
Tribun wrote:Perhaps you all like my "Pirate Story", too. Simple follow the "Black Pearl"-link in [Tribun's army] The crew of the Black Pearl...and enjoy!
Compliments for a great fluffy story about a corsair army with no unit of corsairs!
You're definitively enrolled into the Brotherhood! :D

1. Thank ya for enrolling me to the Brotherhood...arrr, Rum for everryone!
2. There are/ will be Corsairs in it. The Brotherhood (I mean the special unit of my crew of the Black Pearl...choosed the name before I knew this extraordinary club of freebooting gentleman, so no offence meant ) is played with Shaderules and represented by Corsair-Minis ;)
2.1. Thought about using ordinary Corsairs, too- to represent "Junior-Brotherhood". But the ordinary sailors are shown by Spearelfs and RXbows, just like the fluff of the second Darkblade-novel tells...not every Corsair has a dragonhide-cape or a crossbow-pistol :!:
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

2000 posts as a Corsair today! :D
Zardock wrote:Calisson mate why haven't you changed your Rank to Corsair Captain yet?
That's why.

By the way, I've noticed that you've reached the total of 1000, feel free to require a rank reflecting your deeds!
Lord Veshnakar
Highborn

Post by Lord Veshnakar »

Cheers. Back into the hobby and back into dark elves. Expect a very large nautical sea faring corsair army from me again soon!
"Do unto others before they do unto you."
Luck roblar
Slave on the Altar

Post by Luck roblar »

I'm relativly new to darkelfs (and fantasy in general) and i have been thinking about a few dak elf army lists. I have previously posted a list but 8th ed ment it needed a rethink. I decided to go for a more "piraty" theme. Though ik now this is not the army list forum with you being the resident corsair excpect i thought i would run it by you, correct me if i need to post elswhere.

Dreadlord-chariot,sdc,ha,enchanted shield, other tricksters shard, deathpiercer, pok - 322

Sorcerror- seal of ghrond, level2, tome of furion- 180

30 corsairs, full command, frenzy banner- 350

30 corsairs, full command, fire banne, pair of rhbr- 338

10 rxb, banner shields- 120

3 chariots- 300

4 rbt- 400

Total- 2250

The sorceror will go with shadow to reduce toughness, so the rangd units can do more damage. I will let the enemy get closer to me, and then use the corasairs as an anvil and the chariots as the hammer.

So what are your thoughts?
We pillage, we plunder, we rifle and loot.
Drink up me 'earties, Yo Ho!
We kidnap and ravage and don't give a hoot.

Yo Ho, Yo Ho! A pirate's life for me.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Hi, luck roblar, welcome into the Brotherhood. :D

I was surprised at the chariots, from a fluff point of view: quite cumbersome compared to Dark Steeds.
But when you realize that they are primarily to bring back the heavy booty, it makes sense!
Otherwise, for the efficiency of the list, it is still too early to tell the good and the bad.
Go ahead, try and report?
Luck roblar
Slave on the Altar

Post by Luck roblar »

I should be buying up about 1000 points this sunday, and that probabably will be it for a while as with no source of income :( I wont have the money for any more. I will get it made and give it a fling and then then report back.

As for the chariots i am in the proces sof working on fluff, which at some point i will probably post. Its along the lines of a young nobleish dark elf and personal troops (the chariots) and that he screws up and causes a few problems. So self exiles himself until he redeams himself. He then hires a small naval contingent (corisairs, sorcerror and bolt throwere) and sets off to lizardmen country to get something to redeme himself (my store campaign is in lustria so i thought i would tie it in)

I should develop this and post it shoonish. I have also been thinking about converting the corasairs, and while staring at the flaglent kit i saw the torches and thoght how awsueme it would be to have corasairs with these, so i'm going to get converting and probably post some pics of these as well.
If any else has any ideas for conversions or to develop the fluf it would be a great help.

Thanks
We pillage, we plunder, we rifle and loot.
We kidnap and ravage and don't give a hoot.

Yo Ho, Yo Ho! A pirate's life for me.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

So, Mates,
how's your raiding going in the 8th edition?

Personally, I changed dramatically the way I play corsairs:
instead of my favourite 10 RHB annoyer (who now lacks skirmisher opponents to get rid of), I now take usually 20 SSS AHW corsairs as the main shock unit, yelling "prepare to board"!

- and this is my 3000th post as a corsair. Maybe I should consider to retire? -
Aeth
Warrior

Post by Aeth »

I've been running the same 20 man SSS-AHW block. These guys have been hands down my best unit in 8th ed, they just butcher their way through anything.
.........|\~
....\~| \
....|\./.\
.r/_\ /___\ç
.\======/¨
~~~~~~~~~

These are the voyages of the Black Arc Enterprise..........
Lasthobbit
Executioner

Post by Lasthobbit »

Calisson wrote:So, Mates,
how's your raiding going in the 8th edition?

Yesterday my corsairs met the orcs.
20 xhw SSS corsairs + lv2 shadow sorceress killed one troll, big block of orcs + orc warboss (but even with KB from COB they did not managed to make a single KB).
22 rhb corsairs + lv4 dark sorceress make a LOT of shoots at flying frenzy arabian carpet mounted orc (but refused to kill him or even scratch), and a LOT of shots at troll (make a single wound)...

(But we won - Hydra rocks and dark lv4 + shadow lv2 is a good combo) :)

Corsairs in 8th ed still be a viable choice - hard to kill by shooting, hard to deal in hth (SSS+KB). And the models are great!
...__i___
...))))) r
.\OOOOO/
~~~~~~~~~
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Hey mates, how yar doing since the 8th edition arrived?
I've not seen many corsair lists.
At least, there is one recent, from Time of Madness (who is appropriately ranked as corsair with his linked 75th post, which fits well his avatar):
Black Ark - Corsair based list 2000pts

My feeling so far with different corsairish units:

- AHW corsairs are great with the SSS and a COB nearby.
I personally won't take AHW corsairs without SSS, so that limits these corsairs to one large unit. I find 15 too small, 20 is nice, I guess 25 wouldn't hurt. Always run 7 wide.

- RHB corsairs has been told to be taken in horde: 41 S&S followed by 31 attacks, even S3, that is quite massive!
Alas! my former favourite 10 RHB corsair unit struggle to find themselves useful.

That would make 2 units of corsairs worth to e taken.
I assume that more units wouldn't be that much effective.

- Harpies are not quite as useful as they used to, but still, I find them highly valuable.

- RHBmen with shields are said to perform well either in two small or one large unit. Not too far from corsair's fluff.
- Spearmen are good only in large numbers, the shield is not necessary.
- DR are scarcely seen nowadays. Their usefulness has dropped a lot except against warmachines, and they are still vulnerable.

- Among elites, Shades are the most corsairish.With this edition, they trade their GW for one AHW in order to hunt warmachines.
- I like BG a lot, they are effective, and fluffwise, they just need a tweak of fluff to become seasoned corsairs.
- Still not found of Execs or WE.
- COC are more resiliant now, and remain useful to help infantry, and, at the end of the battle, to carry the booty.
- COK are good in 8th edition in medium units with DL and BSB, but I question how corsairish it can be.

- Hydra is still our best rare choice.
- However, there is no more need to opt for either hydra or RBT. Now we can easily take 4 RBT. This would be probably a trademark of a true corsair raiding party.

- For characters, I favour as usual sorceresses.
- My other hero is usually a COB.
- Taking more characters would mean less troops. Too bad for the more corsairish heroes and especially Lokhir.
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

Because of YOU *points his finger accusingly at Calisson* I tried adding Corsairs to my army. And now because of YOU *continues to point his finge accusingly at Calisson* they've become a main feature of my army! :D I was shocked in my last battle when they took on a block of 30 Swordmasters and won! Here comes the anecdote... I usually bring a Level 4 Sorceress and a Level 2. And the Level 2's job is simple - use her dispel scroll and then die. But since the best place for her was in my block of 30 Corsairs (10x3 of course) I also gave her the Guiding Eye. Yippee, now my Sorceress has two jobs. Low and behold, they find themselves deployed in front of a scary unit of 30 Swordmasters.

Turn1 The High Elves go first and advance. My Corsairs cautiously approach to be 13" away from the Swordmasters (so my opponent will have less than a 50% change to make the charge).

Turn 2 The Swordmasters charge despite the odds, I stand and shoot, and loads of them die. The look on my opponents face when I pick up the misses and reroll them was priceless. And he fails the charge! On my turn I place the Harpies like so...

........SSSSSSSSSS <--Swordmastesr
.HHHHH <--Harpies (notice they don't block more than half the unit so I can still shoot with no penalty!

...and move my Corsairs up to 11" away. The Corsairs unleash another volley and more Swordsmen die.

Turn 3 The Swordmasters are forced to charge the Harpies and of course kill them all (a noble sacrifice of Harpies). The Swordmasters reform after winning combat to charge my Corsairs next turn. On my turn the Corsairs fire and even more Swordsmasters die.

Turn 4 The Swordmasters charge my Corsairs but after my Stand & Shoot only the Swordmaster command models make it to my line. They kill 4 noble Corsairs and are promptly murdered to the man.

Corsairs = ROCKSTARS!!!!!

ps - thanks Calisson =)
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

- sob -
I plead guilty, your Honour...

Excellent use of 30 RHB corsairs.
Sure, pricey elves with T3 and little armour stand little chance if they walk slowly towards their fate.
I'm confident that the sheer number of attacks would force even a single monster to think twice before charging frontally.
Lasthobbit
Executioner

Post by Lasthobbit »

phierlihy wrote:...and move my Corsairs up to 11" away. The Corsairs unleash another volley and more Swordsmen die.

RHB range is 8",
is not it?
...__i___
...))))) r
.\OOOOO/
~~~~~~~~~
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

Yup, it is. When I was posting I had their range of 12" in my head. I should have said they moved so they were 7" away from the Swordmasters :oops:
Katon
Highborn

Post by Katon »

I just feel ive got to share some Frenzied Corsair RHB love. Ive had a unit of 10 Corsairs for years, rarely did they ever make an appearance on the board.

For so long i have read the tactics, the theory and enjoyed the slaughter caused by Corsairs and their RHBs. Always a little miffed by their short range i simply passed them off as not ‘optimal’ to my lists.

After taking some time away from the game and then returning i sadly left my Dark Elves shelved when i was given the Skaven section of an IoB box. Engaging in a small Tale of Three Gamers style set up i painted them and forgot about my beloved Elves.
Playing a variety of games at 500 i soon began to miss my Dark Elves and definitely their play style. And starting to hate ASF once more. Pulling them back out of retirement i mashed together a 500 list at a friend’s house and set out to play his High Elves.

He had:
Mage lvl 1 +1 spell (Fire)
11 LSG
10 WL
RBT

I took:
Sorceress lvl 1 +1spell (Fire)
20 Spearman (bunker)FC, Shields
10 RHB Corsairs SSS (7+3)
Chariot

The first two turns were all about movement as a few spells were thrown around, Winds of Magic was low which helped keep both sides with some bodies for combat.
The Corsairs surged forward, both RBT and LSG saw them take wounds though that 4+AS vs shooting saw them shrug off many of the wounds any other unit would have suffered.

On the third turn the game came together beautifully, the chariot charged the WL, rolling a 6 for impact hits and scoring 6 wounds, the WL go on to cause two more wounds and the Chariot crew take another 2 WL. Sadly WL are Stubborn and hold.
The Corsairs place themselves a comfortable 6” from the LSG and fire away, the 12 odd shots they get off causing about 5 wounds on the LSG.
The LSG decide to charge my Corsairs, another round of shooting sees their numbers dwindle more. And a challenge by the champion on the Mage sees him dispatched along with his unit. He rolls 1 and 6 to flee. And in comes the Slaves rule changing that 6 to a 1.
Magic does nothing in the 4th turn as the chariot grinds the WLs down further.
5th turn there is a RBT left which sadly finished the Corsairs with an undignified 6 shots to the back. A top end fireball sees the RBT die and a DE Victory.

Corsairs definitely get a Unit of the Match award, their versatility just saw me able to throw them into any roll and the HE player soon began to struggle as his shooting wasn’t achieving anything. The RHB multi shots surprised him and the results certainly surprised me. Slavers rule just irritated him when he scored a 7 to flee and just justified the points cost of 10points a model plus the extras you have to upgrade them with.

I was sick of ASF so the Chariot and magic had to feature along with some shooting. HE players get a little touchy when you remind them that Magic, Shooting and Impact hits all come before their broken rule.

I am now looking at an additional 10 Corsairs when i get some money just so i can see 6x3 with RHB and Frenzy tearing up more opponents.
Cat-the-odd
Beastmaster

Post by Cat-the-odd »

Heyjo!

There will be a Slavehunting party of Kerath (my dram. pers.) and Master Rothgan (my friends dram. pers.). Together they'll go huntig Orcs. As a 2on2 Game with 2500Pt. Armies each. We are encouraged to do some theming. So the orcs divide into "wild" and "armoured" themes and we Druchii decided for a "footslogger" and "air/cav" approach. Time for me to field my and my friends corsairs, while he gets all the dark riders.
My approach looks like this:
2 Lords: 652 Pts. 26.0%
1 Hero: 245 Pts. 9.8%
7 Core Units: 1302 Pts. 52.0%
0 Special Unit
3 Rare Units: 300 Pts. 12.0%

Supreme Sorceress, lvl4, Talisman of Preservation, Scroll, Dark Magic - 330 Pts.
Dreadlord, General, HA, SDC, CO Chariot, Whip of agony, Talisman of Endurance, Shield of Ghrond - 322 Pts.

Master, CO Chariot, Crimson Death, Armour of Darkness, BSB - 245 Pts.

21 Black Arc Corsairs, 2xHw, M, S, C - 235 Pts.
12 Crossbowmen, Shields, M, S, C - 152 Pts.
10 Crossbowmen, M - 105 Pts.
10 Crossbowmen, M - 105 Pts.

3 Repeater Bolt Thrower - 300 Pts.

Total: 2499

Many troops, "few" items (well, the hero dudes are kittet for the fun of it) and repeating choices for synergy and the looks. My friend wanted to enjoy a dragon, Peagsus (maybe manti) as well as COK, Hydra and the DR. So he'll have the high strength Attacks but a lousy headcount.

Mind: I run my personal statistic counting all models killed while fleeing (after combat or with charges). They are my slaves! So my intension to take many Troops with the slaver special rule will help that number!

Please comment if you feel like it. For competetiveness I'm anyway out of the game, I think.

I'll report after the weekend (hopfully).

Cheers. CATR
../¨¨¨|
.|ô/ô 9..Real sportsmen hunt with arrows and fish with flies.
.~~ /|...Real gentlemen play games which require skill, not tools.
.|__/\...Extraordinary gentlemen even win with them.
.[>o<]...Welcome to the League of Extraordinary Druchii Gentlemen
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

If that list can win, I'll be pleasantly shocked! That being said, I'd strip out 55 points and put in a unit of Harpies. Because no Corsairs should ever be without their lucky Harpies!
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Cat-the-odd
Beastmaster

Post by Cat-the-odd »

phierlihy wrote:If that list can win, I'll be pleasantly shocked! That being said, I'd strip out 55 points and put in a unit of Harpies. Because no Corsairs should ever be without their lucky Harpies!

I think the Monster/Cav army of my friend will have Hrpies enough ;-)
So effectievely it will be more like 5000Pt. with:

Dragonlord
Lvl4
Heros
70+ Corsairs
20+ Dark Riders
10+ Harpies
30+ RxB
10+ CoK
Hydra

Fluffreasoning:
I think in Black Arks the beasts are transportable. But the presence of many temple units or even a cauldron, does not fit. And Malekiths bodyguards shall guard Malekiths body. We're out pillaging meanwhile.

CAT
../¨¨¨|
Sbod
Executioner

Post by Sbod »

Ahoy, i'm interested in joing the Brotherhood of the Coast.
I'm currently building a Druchii force and from memory roughly 50% of the models I own are corsairs ^.^
Does anyone know how to build a Druchii looking ship that is big and stable enough to use as a figure case? It's something i've always wanted to do, but sadly lack the technical skill somewhat.

Cheers,
SBOD
A Day Without Sbod Is Like A Day Without Sunshine.
Cat-the-odd
Beastmaster

Post by Cat-the-odd »

Hello mates.

We did that large Battle (2x2500 each) against orcs. I'll first bore you with the lists:

CAT: One half wrote:Supreme Sorceress, lvl4, Obsidian Amulet, Sacrificial Dagger, Lore of Shadows - 300 Pts.
Dreadlord, hv.Armour, SDC, CO Chariot, Whip of agony, Talisman of Endurance, Shield of Ghrond - 322 Pts.
Master, Scourge, Dawnstone, Armour of Darkness, BSB - 161 Pts.

28 Black Arc Corsairs, 2xHw, M, S, C, Sea Serpent Std. - 330 Pts.
20 Black Arc Corsairs, 2xHw, M, S, C, Banner of Murder - 250 Pts.
20 Black Arc Corsairs, 2xHw, M, S, C, Warbanner - 250 Pts.
20 Black Arc Corsairs, 2xHw, M, S, C, Banner of Eternal Flame - 235 Pts.
12 Rep.Crossbows, Shields, M, S, C - 152 Pts.
10 Rep.Crossbows - 100 Pts.
10 Rep.Crossbows - 100 Pts.

1 Reaper Bolt Thrower - 100 Pts.

Total: 2500

SIC: The other half wrote:Supreme Sorceress, lvl4, Dark Pegasus, Talisman of Preservation, Darkstar Cloak, Lore of Fire - 380 Pts.

Master, General, hv.Armour, SDC, Manticore, KB-Lance, Dawnstone - 338 Pts.
Master, Scourge, hv.Armour, Shield, SDC, CO, BSB, Hydra banner - 216 Pts.

15 Dark Riders, Shields, xbows, M, S, C - 380 Pts.
5 Dark Riders, Shields, xbows, M, C - 136 Pts.
5 Dark Riders, Shields, xbows, M, C - 136 Pts.

17 CO Knights, M, S, C, Terrifying Mask of EEE, Std. of Discipline - 539 Pts.
Cold One Chariot - 100 Pts.
Cold One Chariot - 100 Pts.

War Hydra - 175 Pts.

Total: 2500

Now, after boring you I can tell: The Druchii won by ~1800VP. We caught 15 Slaves (4 Trolls, 11 Black orcs by my Generals Chariot).

We decided to set up blindly. Hence we made a deployment plan with Corsairs on the right, Shooters in the center and Cavalery/Monsters on the left.

The course of highlights:
First 3 magic phases gave Backfirering miscast at the first spell. Quite funny.
Manticore rider charges in turn 2 and lost the mount to fanatics (duh). Left flank is cleared from orcs, eventually.
Wildorc Big'Uns horde cut the center and was stopped in a poison forest by frenzy Corsairs & Shadow debuffs. We missed ~800VP by forgetting to charge that fleeing horde off the table in the last turn.
On the left flank I could drop an Orc horde into some shady pits and finished them with corsairs. I killed a giant and a unit of 3 wolf chariots. My general was shot off the chariot by a spear chukka but that very chariot got the flank of some Black orcs. I could ignore one Orc unit with its General.

Aftermath:
It looked awful for the Druchii in turn 3. But then our action on the left, ignorance in the center and the patience on the right payed off. "Hammer and Anvil" thingy. Having these army setups felt good. Combining many Corsair units with buffs/debuffs is great. Who needs a cauldron if you can fight S2/T2 orcs?

Note: Don't buff too much, when you want to count models caught fleeing (Slaves) ;-).

Kind regards.

CAT
../¨¨¨|