Brotherhood of the Coast – The Druchii Corsair League

Post by Calisson »

.........~
.-..~.|).~.........Hi mates!
.../|).|).|)\
..L |).|).|) \
...4EEEEF/¨
~~~~~~~~~~~

Most of you probably spotted my Corsair’s signature and observed that my rank stayed as Corsair since my 75th post.
This kind of bestows me with some responsibility in monitoring any Corsair-related matters.

Claiming to be a Corsair aficionado, I’d like to promote:

- the inclusion of Corsairs in army lists,
- the development of efficient tactical uses for Corsairs and
- the report of extraordinary Corsair Tales in Battle Reports.

There might be something to do in order to improve the situation of Corsairs and Corsair-related matters.

Are Corsairs underestimated?
After 6 months of practice of the new Army Book, players have had time to make an opinion about the merits of every kind of units.
The Corsairs, however, seem not to be overwhelmingly appreciated.
So far, I’ve seen that some of us are hooked by the Corsair fluff or appearance, but not too many seem convinced by the tactical performance of the two Corsair units we now have (AHW or RHB) nor of Lokhir Fellheart, our new special hero.
Compared to the previous edition, where they were highly appreciated, Corsairs had little change except the arrival of RHB corsairs which seem not to convince many.
At the same time, all other Core units have benefited from steady improvements or cost reductions that make them more attractive than before.
As a result, the comparative advantage of Corsairs has disappeared.

The main reason to take Corsairs seems now to be for the fluff or the beauty of the models, and most army lists don’t field any.
The resulting consequence is that little experience is gained and shared about the uses of Corsairs.

I would like this situation to improve!
EDIT: the situation did improve! Dark Alliance provided us with the best tactics he has found for corsair units:
One for Calisson - some Corsair tactics I have used...
The D.R.A.I.C.H. Corsair entrieshave some links to threads with interesting developments.

Corsair-flavoured army lists.
EDIT: I used to have a specific entry in the D.R.A.I.C.H. for Corsair armies.
Now the list of corsair-themed armies is found in the present thread, on top of page 3.

Do we need a Corsair League?
Do you feel it is enough?
Could you suggest some improvement?
For example, we could use the present thread as a Corsair League meeting point, if anyone felt it useful.
At least, I will try to record below some Corsair-related facts, which you could help me to complete.

The Corsair spirit.
You can find Corsairs & Lokhir entries in the following pages of the Army Book:
6, 14, 15, 16, 18, 26, 27, 29, 33, 40, 44, 45, 48, 49, 54, 60, 61 and 69.
The Corsairs are fighting for Gold, Glory, and Slaves! They fear no risk.
I consider them to be totally opposite to the Cult of Khaine, which loves to murder without necessity. A true Corsair would rather bring back home slaves alive and sell them.
In addition, we can state from the previous Army Book that Harpies like to go with Corsairs, and RBTs are routinely part of a Corsair raid.

What is to be considered a Corsair List?
This is up to everyone to decide himself.
Personally, I would consider a list to be Corsair fluff-wise according to the units it fields or it avoids.
I would suggest the following rate for the units of a would-be Corsair list:

- Corsairs units, worth twice their pts value:
Lokhir Fellheart, Corsairs,

- Corsair-fluff-compatible, worth their pts value:
Dreadlord, Master, High sorceress, Sorceress, Multi-crossbowmen, Dark Riders, Harpies, Assassin, Shades, Reaper Bolt Thrower, Manticore (see Iyagd's comment, 9 posts below),, Dragons (see Johnz(CZ)' comments, next page)

- Corsair-neutral, worth nothing for a Corsair list:
Malekith, Morathi, Malus Darkblade, Shadowblade, Pegasus, Cold One, Warriors, Cold One Knights, Cold One Chariot, Black Guards, Kouran, War Hydra,

- Opposite to Corsair fluff, worth opposite (minus) their pts value:
Hellebron, Death Hag, Cauldron of Blood, Witch Elves, Executioners, Tullaris,

The total “Corsair-pts” value is to be compared to the regular pts value.
Compute which percentage it makes.
If the total “Corsair-pts” value exceeds the pts value (more than 100%), it is a genuine corsair list.
If the total “Corsair-pts” value is positive (between 0% and 100%), it is a real raiding list.

What would you think about this categorization?

Army lists names:
In order for us to spot Corsair lists with ease, I suggest to always include in the title of the thread some of the following words:
Corsair, Lokhir, Black Arch, Karond Kar, raiding.

That’s it for the moment.
Please answer below with your own feelings.

And remember:
GO NAVY!
Last edited by Calisson on Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:12 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Cal'mihe
Dark Rider

Post by Cal'mihe »

Avast there Cap'n Calisson!

I geniunly like the corsair theme, to the point where I'm focusing on building a corsair army.

Fluff-wise, one question which I think is important for any Sea Dragon Cloak wearing wannabe to ask him/her-self is this:

By ship or by beast ?
Our army books, both past and present, as well as numerous parts of the old Man O' War game dwell on how the Druchii used to have a navy primarily composed of wooden ships, but as the route to the Boiling Sea was discovered, Sea Dragons and Helldrakes became the favorered naval "vessel"
Nevertheless, ships are obviously still in use, several bits of art in the Warhammer Online game show beautiful Druchii ships, though I've seen no naval beasts so far, and the Black Arks themselves can be considered "ships" more than beasts, though they're probably more akin to a whole class in themselves, being huge floating castles
So the question is essentially "If you're a Corsair Captain, do you travel by ship or by beast ?"

For me, the answer will be "Ship". There's just something about the image of standing on the prow of a sleek wind-powered barque slicing through the mist towards an unsuspecting victim that make me smile.
Helldrakes and such, they're cool, undeniably so, mostly in their difference, but to me they're a touch too "alien" to fit my idea of a Corsair/Pirate. Call me a traditionalist, but I like having a mast to hang stuff from :D
Sidorio
Assassin

Post by Sidorio »

I'm a Dread Pirate at your service, my own Dark Elf army is aiming to be a corsair one, though i have Cold One Knights as i have the models, though i plan to dress them up to atleast try and apear corsairish.

Raid the worlds, enslave the weak and kill the slime from Ulthuan. I too see my army ariving on their mighty war vessel, The Blood Vixen (what do you think of the name?).

I love the corsair theme and love the unit, won't go too battle without out one unit and another if possible, backed up by shades, Repeater Crossbows and Bolt Throwers aswell as trusty Dark Riders (converting these using left over corsair parts).

Yo Ho, Yo Ho, a pirates life for me... :twisted:
Vash’nir - WS5 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: 2 asrai short swords, assassins dagger, silver dagger, modified repeater crossbow (20/20), hunting spear, Cloak of Dusk, full leather armour
Inventory: talisman of protection, talisman of night, smoke bombs x6, rope x2, healing balms x10, climbing axe x2, skinning knives, winter gear, Vikarh map, pouch of powder, 4 fire bombs
Mount: Dark Steed (Falken)
Gold: 2270
Skills: Stealth, Two Weapon Fighting, Basic Ride
Class: Shade
Elven prince
Dark Rider

Post by Elven prince »

Currently doing 600 points of Corsair Army for Junior event. I didn't exactly plan on it but just last month I purchased 30 old Corsair models for 15€...

- Master
- Assassin

- 18x Corsairs
- 10x Corsairs

- 7x Executioners

Might change the list a bit (replace Executioners with Black Guard), since I'm not entirely bound on Dark Elf background.

As for the Corsair League: we have something similar (Wizard- Knight guild) on Ulthuan and it is an interesting process...

Beware the Beast of Pirates Bay!
Darkmark
Beastmaster

Post by Darkmark »

Hi,
I like this idea though I'm not too keen on the points system notion. Imposing restrictions is fine for those that wish to, but there are lots of reasons for why a non-fluffy unit may fight along side e.g. a WE unit ensuring slaves and victims are worthy to be taken, others to be slain.

I hope this initiative takes off, and we all can give something.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

@ Cal'Mihe - By ship or by beast?
Some questions rise from reading the fluff.
What is a Sea Dragon and a Fire Dragon?
Are ships normal sailing ships or are them propelled by the winds of magic?
There are many ways to travel around.
- A sea Dragon could be some kind of a giant turtle, where you could imagine some kind of towers built, provided the turtle's body was added some buyancy. I believe that there are some old East Asia legends about something like that.
- for a Fire Dragon, I cannot imagine what it could be. No fire stays in the Ocean. Unless... in the past, the whale's breathing cloud has been mistaken for a smoking cloud. In that case, the Fire Dragon would be a Blue Whale (the biggest) or a Right Whale (the best floating one). Such mammals can stay at lenght surfaced, and medieval legends relate "islands" to be of this kind.
At least, the existence of a Sea Fire Dragon (an the corrisponding banneer) is a good excuse (if any was needed) to take a hydra in a corsair army (especially, as I have ssen once in D.net, if the hydra is customized to become a sea one).
- normal sailing ships are certainly mastered by the Druchii. The style cannot be derived from real-world legends of real-world North America. However, pirates/corsairs ships must be fast, and Druchii ships must be elegant and disquieting. Any lateen rig seems to me more appropriate than the viking's drakkar & snekkars, used by Norsca sailors.
- Magic-propelled ships (or forteresses) are left for us to imagine.
I am sure they would still be uttermostly elegant, but with strange rigs: who on Earth can tell how would look sails designed to capture Magic Winds?

@ Sidorio - The Blood Vixen
I love "Vixen", but personally I would leave "Blood" for Khaine or Khorne worshippers. Now, if you like it, keep it of course.
Would you consider "The Elusive Vixen", "The Storm Vixen", "The Ambush Vixen", "The Ravish Vixen", or something alike, representing stealth, sudden violence, greed and glory?

@ Elven prince - something similar on Ulthuan and is an interesting process
Great! Could you develop a little bit about what you find nice and useful there?

@ DarkMark - lots of reasons for why a non-fluffy unit may fight along side
You're right.
I am not opposite to any kind of unit. Of course, Executioners are welcome inside a Corsair raiding party, because they would take care of heavily armoured foes. As long as Corsairs units are not just a tiny minority and Khainites are not an overwhelming majority, the Corsair fluff can be accomodated in some way so why not?
What I am trying to represent with my scaling is just how close an army would be to an idealistic corsair army, without the necessity to adapt heavily the fluff.

@ all D.netters
If anyone could tell us about some successful AHW-Corsair and RHB-Corsair tactics, I am keen to learn about how to use best these units.

So far, I had some success with the RHB-corsairs (10 with muso), who often died gloriously on the battlefield but more than often killed a lot more than their pts value, and sometimes had a more modest role of keeping safely a 1/4 table.

On the other hand, I have reularly been devieved by the AHW-Corsairs, either with the frenzy standard or the AP one, either in big blocks or small ones, either with or without assassins. They seem to draw attention and be destroyed before they can grab some foe, and if they do, the foe is of small value.
What are your experiences (especially the successful ones)?
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Elven prince
Dark Rider

Post by Elven prince »

Great! Could you develop a little bit about what you find nice and useful there?

We developed:

- Introduction (how does player's creation fit into background*).
- Discussion (serves no purpose other than chatting with other people who like the same idea)
- Basic Lore-guide (selection of lores, which spells to use).
- Basic armoury guide.
- Some basic-configuration; something that would give first-time-viewer impression what this project is up too.
- Few battle reports (feedback how the character is doing).

Downside is that the topic is rather chaotic and lacks certain focus, but I rather like it that way.

I wish someone would put more time and post their conversions and other modelling hobby aspects; I suck so can't be very helpful.

See for yourself.

*though there are no rules, anyone is free to decide how his creation fits in his army. And CL have definitely bigger area to explore (ships, military configuration, characters, basic fodder, including mercenaries (as privateers or something like that), the General League's policy etc.).

Sidorio
Assassin

Post by Sidorio »

Calisson thanks for that, i like Storm Vixen, very much so, so that is now the name of my ship. many, many thanks.
Equipment: 2 asrai short swords, assassins dagger, silver dagger, modified repeater crossbow (20/20), hunting spear, Cloak of Dusk, full leather armour
Inventory: talisman of protection, talisman of night, smoke bombs x6, rope x2, healing balms x10, climbing axe x2, skinning knives, winter gear, Vikarh map, pouch of powder, 4 fire bombs
Dicnar
Trainee Warrior

Post by Dicnar »

That's a great idea. I'm new to Dark elves and i always imagined this army to be a corsair raiding party. I was kinda dissapointed when i realized that there's hardly one corsair unit - that will be corsairs :roll: - to choose from. It woud be cool if there' be more specific Dark elf pirate units to build a whole theemed army. As for the units i think that fielding a sea-dragon can stick well to the theme of a corsair army i even bought a McFarlayne one to go with the corsairs.
Iyagd
Master Of Mirrors

Re: Brothers of the Coast – Creating a Corsair League

Post by Iyagd »

First I must express how much I love this idea! I am big fan of Corsairs and raiding themes (as well as North Patrols but it is not the case), so I am wholeheartedly in!

I suggest to include also painting and modelling in area of interest, there are a lot Navy/Corsair themed armies around.

One thing:

Calisson wrote:-Opposite to Corsair fluff, worth opposite (minus) their pts value:
Hellebron, Death Hag, Cauldron of Blood, Manticore, Witch Elves, Executioners, Tullaris,
(...)
What would you think about this categorization?

Why Manticore is 'Opposite to Corsair' fluff? In Man'O'War Dark Elf fleet included (and it is hard to imagine something more navy related), beside Black Arks, Helldrakes etc, also Manticore Raiders. So I believe they should be at least fluff-compatibile.

I'd also add some points for SDC wearing characters.
Druchii Discussion moderator.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

@ Elven prince
Thanks for your suggestions.
- Introduction (how does player's creation fit into background*). => seems appropriate. Please feel free to discuss/criticize the rating I suggested, as Iyagd did. Other discussions about what is to be considered "Corsair" are welcome.
- Discussion (serves no purpose other than chatting with other people who like the same idea) => the present thread is open for that!
- Basic Lore-guide (selection of lores, which spells to use). => seems not relevant here. We don't need to copy the mages that far.
- Basic armoury guide. => I am eager to discuss the effectiveness of different configurations of the two corsairs units. Could it be better done in a separate thread, just with a link from here?
- Some basic-configuration; something that would give first-time-viewer impression what this project is up too. => I can update the first post of the thread. Is it a project really yet???
- Few battle reports (feedback how the character is doing). => if short, or link to battle reports if long.
Downside is that the topic is rather chaotic and lacks certain focus, but I rather like it that way. => If it becomes not manageable, it can be split. But I'd rather wait the thread to be over 100 posts before considering that!
I wish someone would put more time and post their conversions and other modelling hobby aspects; I suck so can't be very helpful. => Iyagd expressed a similar interest. Of course, do (or post links to relevant threads).

@ Iyagd
Very good point (reference p.6 DE AB).
By the way, nice to have a mod with the Corsair spirit! :D

My first take about modelling: (courtesy of tmr)
Building a Corsair Ship
Feel free to indicate which threads have been the most useful in that area.
Corsairs: Can they be the best of both worlds?
Dark elf boat?

There have been some initiatives in the painting and modelling area that I did not recorded, not being an avid reader of this section.

@ all.
Thank you for the interest shown.
Right now, I am already happy to have you identify yourselves as Corsair lovers.
In D.net, there are
- Cult of Pleasure/Slaaneshi fans,
- Khainites adepts,
- and now, Corsairs enthusiasts.

The first two groups have their entry in the "Initiatives" panel and in the "Control Panel / Memberlist". That was years ago. Now they seem to upkeep still a few threads.
We are probably very far from that... so far... But this thread is a start.
Today this thread. Tomorrow the world?
Or do we keep it light (both in mood and in space)?
Cal'mihe
Dark Rider

Post by Cal'mihe »

I definitly think that there should be some sort of linking to the painting and modelling section, since one of the primary (in my eyes THE primary) way to express that your army is a corsair force is through painting and modelling.
(The others being background story and army composition)

The logical thing would be to categorise stuff into
    Modelling and Painting of the actual Corsair models, both past and present.
    Modelling and Painting of other units to underline a corsair theme.

I think most of the second category would end up becomming treads on how to afix the signature Corsair item, the Sea Dragon Cloak, to other models, not a bad thing in my opinion. I'll see if I can race you to linking to the relevant treads in the PnM section :p

EDIT: Found a bit of the latest:

Crossbowmen, Chaioteers, Repeater Bolt Thrower Crew:
Sword of the Hag Corsairs

Spearmen:
The Rose of Nagarythe

Dark Rider:
xtickx's Army Blog

Chaioteers:
Monster Army Blog
Undead bonzi
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Undead bonzi »

My fluff right now is loosely historically based around what Cortez did with his troops when he raided the Aztects. Chiefly I want to start with the idea that upon arrival Cortez burned all his ships to show his troops there was to be not returning or retreating to Spain untill the job was done. This seems to me to be a very Druchii move. I can see an abitious lord or prince recruiting troops to his cause with lies, then on arrival burning his ships and telling them there was no return home untill they had made their fortune.

With that idea in mind I will be buying the battalion box this monday and I plan to play an army that has a Corsair bent to it. I want my army to be a sort of advanced scouting party for an expedition looking to setup a temporary port in a hostile land from which they can raid inland for slaves and gold. To this end Corsiars, Shades and Dark Riders will play a key role. However I also want to include Warriors and Cold One Knights to represent the expeditions need for direct fighting troops to suppress or over run local garrisons that might be protecting the populations.

I will start my army at 1,000 points with something roughly like this:

Master (representing a trusted underling of the lord in charge of the main expedition. Likely mounted and joined to a unit of CoK's)

Assasin (a tool of fear to keep rebellious troops in check)

20 Corsairs (Representing the crews of the burned ships. Likely split into two smaller squads, one with RhB, the other with two hand weapons. Used for flanking, screening and harasment fire)

20 Warriors (Professional soldiers tricked into joining the expedition. One large block with F.C., Shields, War Banner)

5 Dark Riders (Private mercenaries tricked into joining the expedition to be used to scout out local villages and farms for plunder and slaves. RxB and Music)

5 Cold One Knights (Ambitious lordlings acting as enforcers for the lord. To be used as heavy troop breakers. Champ with Null Shard)
Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

Woot! Lets take over the world with the Corsair league!!!

Really what self-respecting Corsair would want a small and light power grasp? We should at least be on equal with the Khaine and Slannesh fans on this site. =D

I have yet to see RHB Corsairs do anything and istead take stock with my AHW boyz and let them run havok with the new slavers rule, and support from DR's in the flanks they can really cause more havok than naught.

I like the fair representation of units that would be compatible on a raiding ship and those that could fit in, but as this is a fantasy game, as others have mentioned, your own fluff can dictate what you want to stick on your ship.

My own captain, Zardock as he is aptly named, is a renegade pirate prince who has started his own principality on a chain on islands in the northern oceans and as such lacks some of the Elite troops and Khainites that remain loyal to Naggoroth such as CoK, execs and the like.

However I stick in BG's and warriors because I don't see why a lord, pirate or not wouldn't want to keep some power retainers and standing army to protect his 'booty'.

Lets keep this league or Brotherhood as the name implies going.

For Gold and Glory!!!! as I believe the saying goes!
Join the Shrine of the Serpent today!
Brotherhood of the Coast!

Zardock (Group 27)
Class: Trainee of Khaine
WS:4 / S:5 / T:3 / D:4 / I:2
Equipment: Short sword and Dagger, 50g in a pouch.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Uncontrollable Frenzy

The Keeper of the D.net Battle Records.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Zardock Doombringer wrote:I stick in BG's and warriors because I don't see why a lord, pirate or not wouldn't want to keep some power retainers and standing army to protect his 'booty'.
There is a "fluff" difficulty:
the difference between corsairs and pirates is that corsairs have the official support of the authorities (an pay taxes) while pirates loot only for themselves (and are not supported by the authorities).
BG fluff being the personal guard of Malekith, I could understand why he would provide some help (also acting as "Moscow's eye") to a raiding party that will bring him back riches.
For a pirate party, however, there must be a greater effort to explain what the BG is doing here. Are they former BG, retaining their training and their high morale?

About pirates and corsairs working together (in the same thread), I don't see any difficulty: there is loot for everyone and it is not in D.net, so it can be considered a neutral place among us.
Elven prince
Dark Rider

Post by Elven prince »

the difference between corsairs and pirates is that corsairs have the official support of the authorities (an pay taxes) while pirates loot only for themselves (and are not supported by the authorities).

Corsairs are sort of Privateers. I mentioned this only because I prefer the term privateer.

Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

BG fluff being the personal guard of Malekith, I could understand why he would provide some help (also acting as "Moscow's eye") to a raiding party that will bring him back riches.
For a pirate party, however, there must be a greater effort to explain what the BG is doing here. Are they former BG, retaining their training and their high morale?

I llike to think of BG as lesser nobles that have decided to fight for Zardock, and they are honed by centuries of fighting and hence have the Always Reroll hits justified and they are stubborn because they refuse to bow down to any rule and would rather just raid the seas and expand their island nation than give into a stronger foe and possibly returning to Naggaroth where they would have to pay taxes on their Slaves.Gold and other loot.

My corsairs are just Corsairs that wanted more loot and decided to join Zardock qho bequethes them more loot and more chances to get said loot, because they also raid returning Druchii ships returning to Naggaroth and recruiting the survivers into the renegade army.

IMO my army is still very very corsair esque.
Join the Shrine of the Serpent today!
Brotherhood of the Coast!

Zardock (Group 27)
Class: Trainee of Khaine
WS:4 / S:5 / T:3 / D:4 / I:2
Equipment: Short sword and Dagger, 50g in a pouch.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Uncontrollable Frenzy

The Keeper of the D.net Battle Records.
Sidorio
Assassin

Post by Sidorio »

Black Guard have a 200 years of service directly before Malekith, then they can do smething that lies close to their own interests. By this i can't see why they wouldn't end up on a corsair ship/ black arc or part of a fleet as bodyguards, i mean if your good at something (which they are), you might as well get paid for it.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

I just dicovered an interesting presentation of Corsair fluff in Dark Elf Culture Unravelled!

Corsairs, Black Arks and Harpies
- Corsairs forsake the ties of family and instead take as their own their fellow Corsairs onboard their ship, with the result of a brotherhood of Corsairs. They elect their Captain, and get as close to trust as a Dark Elf can. If you strike one of them, you strike them all.
- Corsair ships will swear themselves to fleets in a similar way as families will swear themselves to noble families. Fleets can be hired by a noble to take him on a raiding expedition – however, the noble requires permission from Malekith for this.
- Black Arks are giant floating fortresses that work in the same way as a city – the difference being that it moves. Whilst Corsairs of a sort live on them, they lack the tight brotherhood of ship-borne Corsairs, and thus politick away like the best of them. Whilst the Captain of a ship is normally elected, the Captain of an Ark normally inherits. However, he needs the support of the Corsairs below him.
- Heldrakes and the other dragons are only used around Black Arks – on smaller expeditions light frigates are used instead.
- If one of the larger sea dragons (with a castle on its back) dives then the castle will get destroyed. As a result, they are held up by Dark Sorcery.
- The smaller, ridden sea dragons can swim under water for several minutes, as that is as long as the rider can hold his breath. (Elves hold for longer than humans).
- Harpies are not sentient, and are merely pests that fly around the ships. That’s pretty well covered in the latest rulebook.
Hans von darkelf
Corsair

Post by Hans von darkelf »

i am whole heartedly in my army is based around to blocks of corsairs and there ship has a name the "Cursed Cutlass" haha DE are raiders and there are no better raiders than corsairs and two of the older corsair models i converted one has a scimitar and shield the other has a great weapon if anyone is interested

laugh at a corsair he'll hit you, you hit him back he'll trash your house, steal your valubles and take your wife........

Mod Edit:

Double post removed. Content added below.

Use Edit function instead posting few minutes later. Please.

Use capital letters and punctation marks, otherwise such posts may be removed. Please.

two units of corsairs, two units of Xbowmen, bolt thrower, a hydra for breaking down gates, harpys that flap around the towers some CoK so i can enslave some knights plus variety of heroes to the high seas, adventure, gold and the chance to stick a knife in your mates back and quickly dispose of the body in the sea
Dalamar wrote:It was the alien hat!

Now we know the truth :twisted:
Thanatoz
Noble

Post by Thanatoz »

Hey all,

I'm also a corsair fan, though I do try to theme my lists to one of the great cities whenever I play, I like the flexibility of interchanging all units, and sometimes playing a list of this city, then from another.

I really like this thread. However, it haven't seen anything mentioned here about the "counts as" rule. This way, we can "create" new units without impeding our army list flexibility!

Say for example, though I know Corsairs use their Sea Dragon Cloaks as protection both against enemy weapons and the bitter cold of the seas of chill, how about a group of corsairs that fight bare chested, bearing their scars with pride, using barbed hooks, crude swords, and any other typical corsair weapons? They throw off their cloaks when fighting, because they feel it impedes their movement. They are also veterans and remember all to well their previous defeats, making them even more frenzied. Because they are precision fighters and have a real swashbuckler feel to them however, they are not above using poison (perhaps they subtract it themselves from wild beasts they encountered on their journeys). Remember not all poison needs to be lethal. One could use the counts as rule to include them as witch elves, the challenge would be modelling it.

Similarly, what other units that you normally would consider incompatible (or maybe even compatible), could you include using the "counts as" rule?

I'd still have difficulty including cold ones (cok and coc), but how about black guard, execs, etc.?
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

So you have male count-as-WE corsairs!

Zardock Doombringer explained how we could get count-as-BG corsairs.

I believe that warriors just belong to their Black Ark and need no specific explanation.

A single CoC may be the one of a young Nobleman sent by his family to get experience abroad, but, dear, he would not walk on the same soil than mundane corsairs, why?
Do you have an idea for the COB? :?
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Re: Brothers of the Coast – Creating a Corsair League

Post by Thanee »

Calisson wrote:Most of you probably spotted my Corsair’s signature and observed that my rank stayed as Corsair since my 75th post.

Well, you obviously are a Corsair.

Nice thread! :D

Bye
Thanee
Elven prince
Dark Rider

Post by Elven prince »

It seems shame for our topic to die, due to the lack of initiative. So, I purpose a little contest:

Each month we elect "Corsair of the Month":

It's actually a title that would be given to a member that made the greatest contribution to the CL topic (sort of "employee of the month"), either through battle reports, painting journals, tactical/fiction articles. The member that's been elected gets "Corsair of the month" in his title, until the the new "Corsair of the month" has been elected. I haven't developed any firm rules of contest (or contacted any moderators), since I am more interested how many members would be willing to compete.

Remember, this is your chance to earn prestige, gold and lots of play-things!

Sidorio
Assassin

Post by Sidorio »

I'll gladly enter the contest, any reason to go pillaging for a month.