Dealings with Stupidity ....

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

De_te
Trainee Warrior

Dealings with Stupidity ....

Post by De_te »

Hi

I was playing the other night with my friends. I can't remember how we got on to the topic but: If a Dreadlord/Master on a Dark Steed joins a group of Cold One Knights would that "bypass" the stupidity? (Kinda like Malus Darkblade tingy) Is it even allowed?

Thanks in advance.
Amras
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Amras »

Not as far as I know. The unit still suffers from Stupidity whether the character joins them or not. I recon they could use the character's leadership value for the test though but I'm not sure.
"Keep your friends close, but keep your enemies closer."
Megazephyr
Corsair

Post by Megazephyr »

The character would have stupidity applied to them as well, it would be as if you put a character riding a cold one into that group of cold ones, because they are attached, they get hit by the stupidity as well. They also move at the same speed as the cold ones, 7", so unless you are gonna detach and reattach them later on, there is no reason to not put him on a cold one.
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

If a character is with a stupid unit and he is still subject to be effected by their stupidity and cannot cancel it. If the unit fails is stupidity test the character will be stuck with them and be constrained by their movement/stupidity reaction even though he is not himself subject to stupidity directly.

The main reason to put a noble or lord on a dark steed instead of a cold one even though he has joined a unit of cold one knights is that he can charge by himself farther than the cold one knights.

He may need to charge out of the unit by himself and he will have an 18" range if he elects to solo charge.
To strive, to persevere, to conquer.
Megazephyr
Corsair

Post by Megazephyr »

exactly
Svennh
Warrior

Post by Svennh »

In the four last games I played, the stupidity gave my opponent a big advantage. So now I give my cold ones the ' cold blooded' banner, for that important charge!
ImageImage
Gele77
Trainee Warrior

Post by Gele77 »

Tell me about it. In my last game vs Skaven my expensive block of CoKs (6 knights, including BSB with Hydra Banner) went stupid 5 out of 6 rounds. Both me and my opponent just laughed about them.
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

Common fix is to give characters and champs in the unit weapons that have a fixed strength value - Crimson Death, Sword of Might. Then it don't hurt so bad. Some people say Hag Graef - but your Black Guard or Execs or Witches usually need that more. If you indulge in such things.

A note to the O.P. : that was a rules question you asked there. That goes in the Rules Questions forum. [Catchy title, yes?] Fortunately the discussion has been gently turned towards a more tactical debate. Please be more attentive in future.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Crazyivan87
Slave on the Altar

Post by Crazyivan87 »

Have been thinking about how to get around the stupidity, can this work? I have no Rulebook so I cant find out myself.
If I equip a Master / Dreadlord on a cold one with Pearl of Infinite Bleakness (The Character and the unit he joins become Immune to Pshycology) Isn´t stupidity classed as psychology or am I wrong?

Cheers!
/CrazyIvan
Mictian
Shade

Post by Mictian »

I think it was stated in some faq somewhere (dont jump me now, I'm not 100% sure since I can't seem to remember the link), that immunity to psychology does NOT take away stupidity.
Cathel
Noble

Post by Cathel »

It's in the BRB (At least the german one):
immune to psychology means you automatically pass fear, terror and panic checks.
immune to psychology making you immune to stupidity is of days gone by.
If they were not sitting on our land, I would not spend a single bolt on the Asur.
How to tell apart the elves:
Men run naked - Asrai
Women run naked - Druchii
Don't know whether man or woman - Asur
Desert icon
Assassin

Post by Desert icon »

Immunity to Psychology does not make you immune to Stupidity!

Stupidity is only in the Psychology section because it makes things easier to deal with (in terms of organization for the rulebook) and because it takes place at the same time as the other Psychology tests that you have to make every turn (i.e. at the beginning of the turn).

So, Immune to Psychology just means, as Cathel pointed out, that you don't have to take Panic, Fear, or Terror tests with the unit in question.

As far as the new Dark Elf rulebook goes, the only way you can avoid having to take a Stupidity test for your Cold Ones is by having Malus Darkblade in the unit.
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

Once again, there is only one way to get completely around Cold One stupidity - Malus Darkblade. There are many ways of living with it - but that's the only way around.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Bbckamaja
Dark Rider

Post by Bbckamaja »

I'm still waiting for DE faq that confirms the PiB working on stupidity, you never know what those GW-intellectuals really mean with items until the faq comes out.
Hulkster
Beastmaster

Post by Hulkster »

It will not work with stupidity s that is not its purpose.

It purpose is to render a chracter and/or unit ITP

ITP does not give you ITS therefore it does not need to be FAQ'd and it will not be FAQ'd.

IT is, in fact, as straight forward as it gets.
I love you
Bbckamaja
Dark Rider

Post by Bbckamaja »

One can always hope for a brainfart from GW. And pearl is a good item as it is so i'm not complaining, only hoping.. And stupidity is something you can rely on, enemies laugh when you act stupid for a round or two but when a chariot or knight unit make that charge it's always going to hurt..
Lamekh
The Scourge of Khaine

Post by Lamekh »

For me there are three ways to deal with stupidity:

1.) On an expensive unit, with say Master and or BSB take either the Banner of Cold Blood (cheap-solution), this should make sure that you will make that all important charge or Malus Darkblade (expensive-solution), this makes the unit a huge point-sink though.

2.) Redundancy: take multiple units of CoKs, this will most likely make sure that one unit won't be stupid and make the charge.

3.) Don't use stupid units or live with it :P
Marauder mitch2
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Marauder mitch2 »

I have learnt to live with it. Stupidity is fine as long as you opponent worries about it more than you. Hell stupidity is why we get great cheaper than normal Knights and knights for the punch they supply.
DJ Dizzy Posted: Jul 1 2009, 08:13 PM

Horror

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,989

My daemon record is 2 wins and 12 losses... Yep, I suck at warhammer
Gele77
Trainee Warrior

Post by Gele77 »

Indeed, some of the guys I play against are sometimes counting on that my CoKs will be stupid. And I can't blaim them, I roll realy bad on CoKs stupid tests. My chariots on the other hand are rarely stupid, but instead I tend to always roll a 1 on the impact hits roll.
Bbckamaja
Dark Rider

Post by Bbckamaja »

gele77 wrote:Indeed, some of the guys I play against are sometimes counting on that my CoKs will be stupid. And I can't blaim them, I roll realy bad on CoKs stupid tests. My chariots on the other hand are rarely stupid, but instead I tend to always roll a 1 on the impact hits roll.

Rolling 1's on impact hits is stupid, upgrade your luck..

I always try to get charges on a single enemy with at least two stupidity infected units, it's highly unlikely to fail both. And i use ASF banner on CoK so that front or rear chargers are getting damage before they strike, a bit over the top but it works..
Duke daedric
Cold One Knight

Post by Duke daedric »

How about "stupidity" and "frenzy"...?

In example: your CO riding master joins frenzied corsairs, normally on the turn they have to charge CO fails his stupidity check.

The question is: is the CO also overwhelmed by the murderous/bloodthirsty desires or rather he decides that he should stay there after all imparing the whole unit?
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is the Assassin Bunny.
He has been specially trained by "the Old man of the Mountain".
He looks cute and than bites off your aorta when you least expect it.. ;)
Hulkster
Beastmaster

Post by Hulkster »

I think in that example the he goes with the unit. After all a non frenzied chracter goes with a frenzied unit, and a non stupid chracter is stupid with a stupid unit.

SO I think you go with the majority
I love you
Duke daedric
Cold One Knight

Post by Duke daedric »

I really don't think that there is the majority issue since CO rider makes the unit of warriors stupid..

It's just the question; does frenzy override stupidity?
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is the Assassin Bunny.
He has been specially trained by "the Old man of the Mountain".
He looks cute and than bites off your aorta when you least expect it.. ;)
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

No.

If you fail stupidity you are not allowed to charge unless your stupidity movement puts you in contact with the enemy.
If only one model in a unit is stupid the whole unit is forced to accomodate him.
After all you're testing for stupidity before you know if you have any targets in charge range, and after you fail it it's already too late to charge.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Hulkster
Beastmaster

Post by Hulkster »

i emant speical rules wise, I thought the majority rules.

But Dalamar has corrected me
I love you