1000 pts facing dwarfs

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Fenrirwolf
Slave on the Altar

1000 pts facing dwarfs

Post by Fenrirwolf »

hi guys! next friday I'm going to battle 1000 pts of dwarfs, but I don't have much experience with the Druchii (actually 2 battles, of wich I lost 2)

can you help me making a good army list? and maybe some tactics?

here are the dark elves that i have:

20 corsairs with full command
10 corsairs with full command
5 cold one knights with command
10 excecutioners with command
1 war hydra
16 warriors
1 sorceress
14 crossbowmen
lokhir fellheart (but he's useless in 1000 points, as he uses way too much points)
you'll make a nice sacrifice to KHAINE!
Withnail
Slave on the Altar

Post by Withnail »

Hi mate,

Well to be honest, I think you've answered your own question wrt Lockhir. IMHO for 1000pts a decent Hero choice would be something along the lines of:

Master, Blood Armour, SDC, PoK, GW in a unit with the standard of Hag Graef.

On a related note, I think a unit of Black Guard would be nice if you have the models, perhaps to replace the Execs. The chat around here looks to be that execs aren't exactly ideal for beginners. As a beinner myself I've given them a wide bearth.

What were you planning on doing with the 10 Corsairs? If it were me, I'd drop them, and perhaps look to include 5 dark riders (once again, if you have the models). Alternatively, Shades could be useful for picking off the crew of inevitable war machines. Perhaps 7 with GW's?

Lastly, as Dwarfs have their natural magic resistance, I might suggest not even bothering with the Sorceress because they will be packing at least 4 (to my memory) dispell dice, 5 if they include a Runesmith, so you might want to use the points elsewhere.

Hope some of this helps.
If a pig loses its voice, is it disgruntled?
Hans von darkelf
Corsair

Post by Hans von darkelf »

firstly good luck, and yes ignore the sorceress too much magic resistance, also wht id say is you need attack your opponents with multiple units, like dark riders as withnail said
Dalamar wrote:It was the alien hat!

Now we know the truth :twisted:
Borog
Beastmaster

Post by Borog »

Unfortunately your army isn't very good against a dwarf army. The corsairs won't make much of a dent in dwarf armour, and your warriors are too few.

maybe if you include:

20 corsairs with FC

20 warriors with FC (use four corsairs as filler)

hydra

CoK with banner of murder will make a dent in most dwarfs

And just try to get over there as fast as possible.
Get some masters with high strength.

The warriors should use hw and shield for 4+ armour save, they and the corsairs are there mainly for static combat res.
if you have a chance, try to flank with the corsairs as dwarf warriors "only" have 4+ AS in the flank and the corsairs many attacks might actually kill someone.

Assassin might do the trick, but as dwarfs are slow and unlikely to charge I'd think that a master would do a better job actually, and they are much cheaper and can handle some return hits.

dwarfs are masters of Static CR and not dying, so basically you have to try to negate rank bonus. Pity you don't have Dark riders, but if you have the time you can convert some glade riders for a low cost.

try to get the hydra to flank with another unit in front for CR. That should break the dwarfs.

hope that helped somewhat :)
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

I wouldn't mind knowing what your opponent's list is likely to look like. The advice you've been given so far is pretty good - but if you're not expecting a lot of shooting, those Execs will come in pretty handy. You'll want those knights and the Hydra for sure.

With what you have, you might consider using three units of Corsairs without command to absorb shooting. It's not that they won't die - they will - but someone's got to do it, and they're not likely to achieve anything else.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Fenrirwolf
Slave on the Altar

Post by Fenrirwolf »

all thanks a lot! i will try to borrow some models, and then give those nasty dwarfs the kick on their butt that they need!
you'll make a nice sacrifice to KHAINE!
Voiddisciple
Dark Rider

Post by Voiddisciple »

I'd consider a big unit of 25 or 30 corsairs, so that they have enough models to take some shooting, with the Banner of Murder for the Armor Piercing attacks. It will also make your opponent think twice before shooting out your knights at the first opportunity.
Dwarfs do not lose combat from wounds. Their toughness and armor are usually too reliable. What you must accomplish is to deny the Dwarfs their combat resolution with cavalry or monsters in the flank. Without ranks, it is much easier to make the few wounds that you will accomplish count much more.
If your opponent decides on a gunline, then just go full speed and try to drop terrain in the middle of the board so as to confound cannon shots.
Good luck, and post a batrep! Once we see a list, a rematch will be much easier.
Megazephyr
Corsair

Post by Megazephyr »

hey, if we are ignoring what models you have, id say go for some harpies too, they will help to screen from his shooting, and are really cheap point wise, plus give you very mobile war machine hunters, leaving the dark riders (you dont have) to do some charging.

Void gives some great points with the models you do have. Corsairs would be almost perfect with 2hw, and the Banner of Murder. Especially if he goes gunline, because they get a better save against it than they do in melee.

Good Luck!