Terrible rolling odds

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Tu'shan
Noble

Post by Tu'shan »

I often get in the situation with my goblin force, where my spear chukkas are charge by miners, they somehow hold them off, or the surviving crew goblin chases down the miners.

The reason he always targets the chukkas is because one game when my bow men were about to be charge and destroyed, the BSB with spider banner left the unit and decided to join the bolt throwers who were near by. That game my bolt thrower scored a 6 to hit at the flank of the hammerers, which due to poison, means all 5 of them were automaticly wounded and killed. Ha....
It is a well harsh banner.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
Ehakir
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ehakir »

That is just the point: he can't
"Ceterum censeo Ulthuan esse delendam"
-Ehakir

3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win.
Henk
Trainee Warrior

Post by Henk »

when playing dwarfs vs empire i hit his stank twice with my grudge thrower dead-on and rolled 2 1 to wounds
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

That game my bolt thrower scored a 6 to hit at the flank of the hammerers, which due to poison, means all 5 of them were automaticly wounded and killed. Ha....

You only automatically wound the first model. You don't roll to hit the subsequent ranks and when you don't roll to hit you have no chance of poisoning anything
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
King porky
Shade

Post by King porky »

de v de his RXB moved then shot my harpys needing 6+4 only 6 could see none hit the shop assistant told him as he he was about to roll he should single shot so after he does just to see 6 die 6 6s
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win.
Noble korhedron
Empire General

Post by Noble korhedron »

I dunno if this counts as terrible rolling odds, but I had a game against Dwarfs a while ago - irresistable force Unseen Lurker cast on a unit who'd just marched into charge range, Dwarf player stands and shoots - kills five - and 1 failed panic test later my unit flees 12" back the other way!! :(
Last edited by Noble korhedron on Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

NK.

http://ulthuan.net/forum
http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/index.php
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php
http://www.bartertown.com/trading/index.php

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.
Bounce
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Bounce »

Master BSB with Hydra Banner last one to strike against the last remaining High Elf archer while having a Prince on Star Dragon in the rear. 4,1's. Reroll for Hatred 4, 1's. I lose the combat by one and My Lord, BsB and remaining Knights get pulverised. Not much fun.
"I will embrace death without regret as I embrace life without fear"
ImageImageImage
Geist
Noble

Post by Geist »

I guess this counts at terrible rolling, for my opponent. I dropped a ancient steagdon with nothing but reapter cross bow fire. Zero reapers were used to drop it. Just shades and dark riders. He failed so many saves it was silly. I was half way into the second one when he called the game. He's a great guy to play against, but at that point I was getting ready to bear down with 3 reapers and 2 more units of dark riders on the second ancient.
Flyers for the win in 8th.

DEATH FROM ABOVE DRUCIH AIR CAV!!!!

The Machine will grind you down.

The League of Extraordinary Druchii
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

last tournament, I'm playing for first place, despite the fact that do to some weird error I had some weird build on my slan.

used my lizzies, and playing DE.

I have the throne of vines up, and it's turn two, I just manages to ice like 18 exes with my kroxes (T8 helped). I'v just checked 35 spears are in range for my dwellers, I have 9 PD. So I decide to use up some opponent's DD. I cast something on 2+1 (free dice) so I there is no chance I'll roll les then 3, and what do you know, dubble 6's. no problem 2+ ignore mistcast (form the throne) yup it's a 1. roll to see what miscast 11, then I remember that I have the cupped hand's, again I roll a one. not so fun, but then I roll a 5, thus losing 3 levels along with spells 4, 5 and 6, all randomly chosen.
Also known as Kanadian
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

My last game, with my Empire against Brets.
First turn, my Steam Tank shoots its cannon at max range 18" (against all sound advice).
Kills 3 knights, enough to make a Ld roll, fail, rerolled, refailed, flee 8", the edge is at 9" but the unit goes across a trebuchet and leaves the field along with the damzel mage.

Soon, the Stank was scrapped by the heroic KB lord.

But the real revenge went on last turn.
My fast cav was the closest to a sorcerous portal (BSB p.125) which had done nothing special during the previous 11 magic phases.
A fireball killed the whole fast cav unit.
My main unit was close enough to test for panic.
Panic failed and re-failed and the unit, including general and BSB, went off the table.

Threads made just for the fun :lol:
these are to be kept running with the 8th edition, of course!
1. .....................................Murphy's unwritten rules of warhammer (some wise philosophy about what not to expect too much)
2. .....................................The "It Doesn't Come Around" thread when your dice rolls are so frighteningly consistent that you know what will happen before you roll.
3. .....................................Funniest/most unreasonable deaths and kills
4. .....................................Heroic Performances (the inexpected best)
5. .....................................Terrible rolling odds (the inexpected worse)
6. .....................................Worst battles you've ever played (if you lost, see that it could be worse)
7. .....................................How to laugh when things go wrong?
8. .....................................You know you play too much warhammer when...
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Ataroth
Dark Rider

Post by Ataroth »

I was playing against my main opponent using my DE against his Lizardmen. I wanted to use a nice fluffy Khainate force so I took an Assassin with the Venom Sword (always loved it and really wish Dreadlords could take it but that's another issue). The Assassin actually pulled off and managed to get in combat against his Slaan. I challenged and he was forced to accept due to leaving the Slaan in the open (he has no Saurus warriors and only uses Skinks.) The combat was stale for about 3 turns. I was only causing a wound per turn and 3 times he rolled under a 5 on 2D6. He eventually beat my Assassin by getting a lucky roll off and killing him. I was not impressed considering that was the only morale victory I could claim as all my WE became pin cushions.
"Submit To Self Destruction"
Dirty Mac
Assassin

Post by Dirty Mac »

My rolling odds, Good and bad for both me and my opponent.
His gyro kills all but 1 shade. I charge my single shade in to his cannon, i need an 11, and i get it! I miss all 2 of my attacks, and wait for the onslaught. His 4 crew and his master engineer all fail to hit. They lose combat by 1, because of my charge. LD 9 break test. they roll 11. BSB 1" out of range. cannon flees off the table.
Rejoice and Revel in the Triumph of the Dark.

Grimma
Executioner

Post by Grimma »

Game last week - My Hydra is charged in the flank by a block of goblins because he failed to break an ork chariot that he had charged the previous round. I use my breath weapon... roll double 1, all the handlers miss, hydra hits with 2 out of 7 attacks, roll 1 for thunderstomp and the goblins get a wound through on the Hydra. I break on a 7 and roll a 4 for flee.... goblins run me down. My opponent laughed, I didn't.
UNSEEN LERKER MAGAZINE - It'll make you happier than a Corsair in a Bretonnian orphanage.
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

This one is more a long-running joke than a single instance, but I haven't run down any enemy units with my DE infantry since the start of 8th edition. Granted, half my opposition is undead of some variety, but dwarves, warriors, ogres, lizards.... nope, not a single unit caught when they fled.
Subutai
Trainee Warrior

Post by Subutai »

I will never the forget the 40k game I had as Tau against Space Marines. I thought I had had it when my lone remaining crisis suit was caught by an assault sqaud. After the combat my model was somehow left standing - and to add insult to injury killed a space marine. The exact details are hazy, but my opponent was more than shocked to see his assault sqaud leg it out of combat after he failed a leadership test!
“A man’s greatest work is to break his enemies, to drive them before him, to take from them all the things that have been theirs, to hear the weeping of those who cherished them.”
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

A lot of time I'll position my COK/COC at 14" away from the infantry unit I want to charge. That gives me a 7+ to make the charge (better than even odds) vs. his 10+ (1 in 6 chance of making it).

Inevitably, if he charges, he manages to make it; but if he holds, I manage to fail and get charged in return.

Sigh.