Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

What a mostly useless article.
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Indeed, I agree, but I thought I would post it in case it benefited somebody else
Slortor
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Slortor »

agreed - Dagger of Hotek on a Dark Steed. Thats not even allowed! It says specifically an 'extra HW' and mounted characters cant use that...

and they barely ever use up all the magic item points - a dreadlord wit a 4+ AS and nothing else.... yay.

and the chillblade seems to change points values - all in all another informative and useful Games Workshop article [/sarcasm]
Name: Khalia D'Vaarko (meaning: Khalia, property of Vaarko)
Height/Weight: 5'6", 8 stone
Other: no distinguishing features, barring the brand of a great house left wrist.
Class: Mage
Equipment: Robes, Dagger, Staff
Skills: Power of Ulgu, Power of Chamon
Stats: Ws3, S3, T3, D4, I5

lrnec wrote: Reality and truth is more brutal than almost any fantasy game
Lextalionis
Beastmaster

Post by Lextalionis »

Does the guy who wrote this even play dark elves? If so does he ever win? If he has a computer full of files with characters like this then he needs to make use of the delete function. Or just reformat to make sure he doesn't miss any. I saw one SDC out of maybe a dozen characters. On the last page he has his 'Heavy Trooper Killer 2';

Dreadlord - 80
Great weapon - 6
Armour of Darkness - 25
Black Amulet - 70

His opening statement "This combination is not subtle." Yeah Adam, it's also not legal. You are only paying 80 points for your Dreadlord. If this is a Master thn you are over your points limit if this is a Dreadlord then you need to learn how to check yo,ur publication before putting it on the internet. As a dreadlord its crappy anyway, just put PoK on him instead of paying for the over priced necklace.

This is stupid GW marketing and benefits nobody except for GW.
Lextalionis
Shade
WS:5 S:2 T:4 D:5 I:3
Basic Stealth. Stealth. Precision Shot. Rapid Fire. Acrobatics
Equipped; Short Sword, 2xDagger, Repeater Crossbow, Repeater Crossbow Pistol, Shade Cloak

225 G
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

Slortor wrote:agreed - Dagger of Hotek on a Dark Steed. Thats not even allowed! It says specifically an 'extra HW' and mounted characters cant use that...

No, it is allowed. What isn't allowed is getting +1A with 2 Hand Weapons While mounted.

The Dagger of Hotek is an 'additional hand weapon', but it is still a hand weapon, the term "additional" is not a weapon type, its simply specifiying that it can be used as a second hand weapon.

So you gain ASF, but you do not get +1A for having 2 hand weapons.
Lextalionis
Beastmaster

Post by Lextalionis »

A master on a dark steed shouldn't need ASF and with only 3 Str 4 attacks he is gonna struggle to kill anything stronger than a totally unprotected mage or maybe a weak warmachine crew. Why would GW wanna give inexperienced player bad advice?

Edit: My bad. Assumed that they wouldn't use a Dreadlord for mage killing. Make that 4 str 4 attacks at over 200 points. /anger
Lextalionis
Shade
Equipped; Short Sword, 2xDagger, Repeater Crossbow, Repeater Crossbow Pistol, Shade Cloak

225 G
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I find Dagger of Hotek kinda pointless as it is anyway... only "ok" combination is with beastmaster's scourge... but Dagger of Hotek is clearly a weapon designed for Death Hags... who can't take it <.<
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Jarredhtg
Trainee Warrior

Post by Jarredhtg »

Dagger of hotek works wonders with a potion of strength if you have your lord on foot and expect to get charged by knights, chariots, etc.
Lextalionis
Beastmaster

Post by Lextalionis »

So you are happy to spend 200 points and a lord slot for a character on foot that will have one turn of surprise killyness?

There might be better ways to spend the points. This could be said of most of the little 'tactics guide'.
Lextalionis
Shade

225 G
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

I have tried to find a use for the Dagger of Hotek without success, everything it does an assassin does better.

There are so many things around that nulify ASF that it really only matters to assassins. I'm finding more and more that a tough character that can take a beating is more important than one with high damage potential. DE have no trouble dealing damage, its actually taking damage it can't do. Grinding a nugle bunker into paste is not a job for the faint hearted as I discoverd friday.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

Most of you should know by now that GW tends to come up with pretty useless tactical articles. It should be no surprise that this one is just as useless.
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Just another example of why so many store players get taught wrong!

Very poor article.

Where is the pendant BSB?

Why doesn't the author read the DE army book to learn how dragon breath ACTUALLY works? :?

And as for the Chillblade being the 'best weapon'....laughable!! :cry:
Last edited by Dark Alliance on Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

It would be nice if they looked more in depth into the rule book when it came to good combo's. If someone was going to make an article on this, surely that person would consult the place where true tactics get forged?

This article makes me one sad panda. :( :cry:
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Khel wrote:It would be nice if they looked more in depth into the rule book when it came to good combo's. If someone was going to make an article on this, surely that person would consult the place where true tactics get forged?

The real problem is two-fold:

The "that's cool" factor
The "I and my target audience know no better" factor

The first is difficult to deny. There are lots of weapons that are cool. Ineffective from a hard-nosed player's point of view, but cool nonetheless. Sometimes this aspect gets looked over in the rush for the most effective combinations.

The 2nd is the killer, of course. Taking an item for your own amusement is one thing (which many players don't do), suggesting that it is good is quite another. Most of these combos probably haven't been tested and are entirely theoretical. If the writer had suggest some decent combos and a few "Good for a giggle" combos or "Off the beaten track" combos, then all would be well.

GW should be aiming to meet the two sides of the game in the middle - give something to the hard core and to those after a little more of the craziness. What GW tends to write compromises in such a way that offers nothing to anyone.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Dalamar wrote:...but Dagger of Hotek is clearly a weapon designed for Death Hags... who can't take it <.<

Yeah, that also annoys me to no end... it's entirely useless for anything but a Death Hag. It belongs to the Temple (same with Null Talismans, that while being decent enough as they are, also fit perfectly to the Temple; or at least something similar).

BTW, are those other models (Dreadlord on Dark Steed, Dreadlord with Sword, female Dreadlord, etc) available already? Havn't seen them here (though I havn't been looking too closely at the DE model selections lately, might be that I simply missed a second wave of blisters)? Or are they only available through the mailorder?

Bye
Thanee
Last edited by Thanee on Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dreske
Trainee Warrior

Post by Dreske »

Thanee wrote:
Dalamar wrote:...but Dagger of Hotek is clearly a weapon designed for Death Hags... who can't take it <.<

BTW, are those other models (Dreadlord on Dark Steed, Dreadlord with Sword, female Dreadlord, etc) available already? Havn't seen them here (though I havn't been looking too closely at the DE model selections lately, might be that I simply missed a second wave of blisters)?

Bye
Thanee

Yeah, they are. But through Direct Order only.
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Dreske wrote:
Thanee wrote:

BTW, are those other models (Dreadlord on Dark Steed, Dreadlord with Sword, female Dreadlord, etc) available already? Havn't seen them here (though I havn't been looking too closely at the DE model selections lately, might be that I simply missed a second wave of blisters)?

Bye
Thanee

Yeah, they are. But through Direct Order only.

I do not play anymore but I am getting the one with the sword who is pointing anyway to paint up on my 18th and keep on display, just because I love the pose. Since its Direct Only I need to go speak to my dad though :roll:
Cenyu
Khaindar

Post by Cenyu »

'Heavy' Trooper Killer 2:
Dreadlord - 80
Great weapon - 6
Armour of Darkness - 25
Black Amulet - 70

This combination is not subtle. Clad in the best possible saving throws, this Dreadlord can stand face-to-face with almost anything, and is perfectly suited to dealing with heavily armoured troops. If wounded he'll first takes his armour save, and should he pass it (likely with a 1+ save) then all is well. If he fails, then he resorts to his ward save, which in turn conceals a nasty surprise - if the ward save is passed, the attacker suffers a Strength 5 hit with no armour saves allowed. Deadly stuff.

Don't they ever proof-read articles published in GW media? Any half-decent Dark Elf player could spot these mistakes in a couple of minutes.
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

So not only do they cannot copypasta properly in the same page, they cannot even remember what an item does.
Rugi
Noble
Location: probably still burried under snow after a failed backflip attempt

Post by Rugi »

I cannot believe how many mistakes are in the article! Black amulet (S5 rebound), black dragon egg (-3 on panic tests) and chillblade (if you hit a model he can´t fight back) are all confused with something else (I don´t know what). Plus, almost none of that heroes would be able to survive one turn if charged.

Almost all of GW articles are a plain nonsense which can´t even help a beginner.

Light troops killer on foot... Yea right.
Izirath
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Izirath »

I can actually feel my brain melting when I read this kind of bullsh*t :/ It makes me so sad. What's up with GW trying to make all DE players suck?
Nagathi wrote:Fighting fair is for High Elves.
~ Nag
Darc
Warrior

Post by Darc »

Here we have a futile attempt from Games Workshop to rectify the power creep:

Give all the newer armies really bad tactics articles so that the mistakes of the player make up for the strength of the army book.

Expect to see an even worse article for Daemons some time soon. It'll have to really be bad to bring that army down to a normal level ;)

(Please note: The intention of the above post is purely humourous.)
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Maybe we should write them a few mails telling them, that they should only let people write tactics articles, who have at the very least a basic understanding of the game and can read. :lol:

Bye
Thanee
Darc
Warrior

Post by Darc »

Haha, yeah, mass emails from druchii.net. Could be entertaining and may get the point across :P