Sacrificial dagger query

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Grez90
The Tamer of Sea Dragons

Sacrificial dagger query

Post by Grez90 »

I was thinking of using this combination in my last GT list but changed my list.

However I never got this question answered, it states the 'sorceress can sacrifice a model in the unit she has joined'. Does this mean I can choose which model is sacrificed, or does the sorceress need to be standing next to the sacrificed model.

The reason why I ask is that I am thinking of having some magic defence by using the ring of hotek even though I have mages. So I am thinking of killing all/most enemy mages before my own spells are affected (rangewise) by the ring e.g. casting word of pain on an enemy within 12" of the ring could be a problem.

If god forbid I don't kill the mages then I am going to need to get rid of the ring, and was wondering if the sacrificial dagger could be used to kill off the black guard champion who is carrying the item, and aslong as the unit is not completely killed, then the enemy still won't get the points for it.

Is this against the rules or am I just being very caniving or very cheesy??

If a UK GT regular (Dalamar) could answer this then would be much appreciated.
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

It is allowed. In fact an opponent, I highly encourage you to sacrifice as many Champion or Character models you can.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Cool, after attending one GT I'm a regular already :P

And you can choose which model dies to the dagger, heck it can even be a hero. But it makes sense for the model to be in BtB with the sorceress unless she has really long hands.

But if you keep sorceress with the dagger in the same unit as the Ring of Hotek... well, then you're within its range at all times.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Grez90
The Tamer of Sea Dragons

Post by Grez90 »

Don't worry, already planned it all out, lvl2 sorceress with the dagger on a dark steed in a rxb unit, with her on the far end.

She can then move quickly into the black guard unit next to the rxb, stab the champion to cast power of darkness on 2 dice and there goes the ring.

Oh and I thought you had gone to more than one, heck I'm 19 and a more experienced GT player than you lol.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I moved to the UK last year :P it wasn't actually possible for me to attend more than one.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Colonel
Black Guard

Post by Colonel »

Just seems like a waste. I usually put the ring central in my line, and try to put any casters outside 12" even if their parent unit is in 12" for protection.
Grez90
The Tamer of Sea Dragons

Post by Grez90 »

Yes colonel I did that last year, however I'm now wanting the ring carrier' unit more forward than my unit last year.
It becomes a problem when trying to cast word of pain on a unit which has movement 12", as I can't charge and I am going to be charged next turn.

This means anything like Ogres, Stegadons, kroxigors, hydras etc.

So the question comes, do I cast it on 2 dice with a small chance of miscast, but with just under 50% chance of failing to cast the spell. Or cast on 3 dice virtually guaranteeing to cast the spell but with a higher chance of getting the double.

And so I would rather guarantee the cast and kill the champion carrying the ring than get a miscast and possibly end the phase, meaning my other lvl2 and lvl4 can't do anything.
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

But then your sorceress is in the unit of black guard that is going to get charged. Stuck in combat is about the last place you want her to be.
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Grez90
The Tamer of Sea Dragons

Post by Grez90 »

But against something with WS1 I'd fancy my chances in a unit of WS5 ASF Black guard with 10 warrior elite strength 4 attacks and then the mages attack + steed.

Even if I don't kill enough and they do get attacks back, they need 5's to hit and must be in base to base with the sorceress in order to attack her, so I'm not that worried about her dying, anyway you'll see the list when I post it up today. Nobody will be able to get to that unit anyway lol.