Repeater crossbows vs brettonians??

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Grez90
The Tamer of Sea Dragons

Repeater crossbows vs brettonians??

Post by Grez90 »

I was just wondering if crossbows were useful against Brettonians as I can't remember what save they get, I'm sure its 1+ but I can only think of, barded steed, heavy armour and shield which makes 2+.
If they are only 2+, then are rxb worth it against brettonians, or is thier armour and ward a waste of time?
Minsc
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Minsc »

All brettonian cavalry (appart from some characters wich might have better) 'only' have a 2+ armoursave, with a 6+ ward, wich gets increased to 5+ vs S5 or greater.

So RxB's and RBT's are very good against Brettonians, especially since all their knights are only T3 as well (appart from Paladins/Lords.)
Grez90
The Tamer of Sea Dragons

Post by Grez90 »

thanks minsc, I had it in my head that they were like Empire knights, but forgot they have full plate armour.
Looks like I'll be using 3 mages 4 rbt and lots of rxb's then.
Dante valentine
Cold One Knight

Post by Dante valentine »

Aye, Just remember that they dont suffer the -1 to movement due to barding, so they can be suprisingly quick over the battlefied. Also, if they pray for the blessing, you can choose to take first turn to pour on the firepower.

Overall, the lances can be quickly reduced in effeciency by a few Reapers and plenty of RXB and DR's.

Regards

Dante
Kargan daemonclaw
Highborn

Post by Kargan daemonclaw »

On average it will take 6 hits to kill a brettonian knight with RXBs, every 6th one has to be kiled twice because they make their ward save.

So 2 units of 10 cross bows at long range moved and double shots will generate about enough hits to kill one knight. They then march towards you inside half move, you get one more shot and then splat.

20 RXBs at close range is 20 hits 10 wounds and killing 3 knights so enough for a panic test.

So you do need march blockers and combat units to slow down and divert the approach of the lances otherwise you will get ground beneath their hooves.
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Rather than Crossbows... 4 lvl 2s with the Lore of Metal! That's how I'd roll...
Bounce
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Bounce »

If the Knights sepnd three turns to take out one unit of RXBmen while losing one to two knights in the process I would be okay with that. Meanwhile the rest of your army can get into good positions for flank/rear charges.

RXB are very expendable but still somewhat dangerous. Not to mention you won't be moving towards them and once they get in short range you're hitting on 4's
"I will embrace death without regret as I embrace life without fear"
ImageImageImage
Master of arneim

Post by Master of arneim »

Many times in tourneys you'll face a bretonnian on a scenario that includes a house (at least in my country). This will be an excellent occasion to put inside your 10 crossbows with a sorceress, watching how the knights start crumbling on themselves while they fail their 3+ as with "only" a 6+ ward.
Master of Arneim, proud ruler of the cult of the thousand draichs, because bigger is better.
Dante valentine
Cold One Knight

Post by Dante valentine »

Slightly off the RXB question, but onto your reaper bolt throwers, with the Knights in a lance formation, is is better to shoot one shot, (increasing their ward save to 5+ but negeating armour) or shoot multiple shots (more chance of hitting) but leaving them with a 4+save/6+ward save.

Regards

Dante
Master of arneim

Post by Master of arneim »

Slightly off the RXB question, but onto your reaper bolt throwers, with the Knights in a lance formation, is is better to shoot one shot, (increasing their ward save to 5+ but negeating armour) or shoot multiple shots (more chance of hitting) but leaving them with a 4+save/6+ward save.

Going with the multishot will probably avoid the ward save, while a single bolt will leave a 5+ save that could stop the arrow from trepassing ranks. Then consider that even if you get the lance on the flank, you'll always be able to cause 3 casualties at maximum. If there is a character exposed though you could try the single shot (exposed means in a unit with less than 5 models).
Master of Arneim, proud ruler of the cult of the thousand draichs, because bigger is better.
Mdk
Slave on the Altar

Post by Mdk »

And like Kargan said, add Harpys and Shades to march block them and gain an extra turn of shooting. They are quite quick but when they run
over one unit they have to turn again to get in position for the next charge. that will leave you with one more turn of shooting. Lore of Metal
pops in mind here. Allso, a Hydra can do quite some damage with his S5 breath attacks. And since he can skirmish through woods etc. you
can sneack in to range quite easy.
You’re a wreck, an accident.
Forget the freak, your just nature.
Keep the gun oiled, and the temple cleaned shiz
snort, and blaspheme, let the heads cool, and the
engine run. Because in the end, everything we do,
is just everything we’ve done.