Druchii vs Dwarven Tactics

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Tyury
Trainee Warrior

Druchii vs Dwarven Tactics

Post by Tyury »

I am going to play a match against a 1500 pts dwarf army.
he probably is going to use 2 canons. (one of them is the one with multiple shots, I lost his name) and a unit ironbreaker.

The only things i can come up with are:

10 corsairs
10 CoK
1 sorceress
1 dreadlord
5 shades
1 hydra
16 rxmen

How to deploy them, what tactics to use?

I tought letting one unit of 5 COK naked and use them as a flanking unit to take care of the cannons. The other one will be a heavy flanking unit.

With the hydra I could (while screening him with terain from the cannons) breathe on his other units.

And for the Sorceress the lore of metal. he hates it ;)

Am I thinking the right way? What should i do?

Chears
you can lose with a good tactic but you'll never win with a bad one.

My Brute will beat yours!
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: That's for you to know and me to find out! Do I get a hint?

Post by Kefka »

You have the right idea.
Corsairs are not going to do much. All I can suggest is to give them the frenzy banner and 2 hand weapons, then run them down the field. Hopefully the provide enough of a distraction for your opponent that the COK and Hydra can come up and own face. Worst case senario, they die as a distraction, best case scenario, they live and get into combat with 16 attacks with hatred.
Shades are great for taking out his artillery and shooting units. GW on them and try your best to get any ranked units in the side/rear.
Sorceress with LoM is great (esp. on his ironbreakers)
How are you deploying your dreadlord? Give him a Cold One and toss him in with one of the CoK units for better use of his skills. He could join the corsairs, but then you would have to give up the frenzy banner. And he could join the RxB with lifetaker, but it is a waste if you ask me (as the RxB will have to waste a turn or two to get into range)

Fiat Obsidian - WS5 / S5 / T4 / D5 / I4
Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Mount: Locke (dark steed)
Gold: 488
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Class: Warrior
Madkins
Trainee Warrior

Post by Madkins »

I've had great success against Dwarves using both the Assassin with Rending Stars + Manbane in a unit of Shades and the Pendant BSB to take out the cannons.

Once you have his cannons taken out, its easy enough to out maneuver his troops and catch them in the front and flank or rear at the same time with the Hydra and CoKs,
Zenith
Noble

Post by Zenith »

Use a master on dark steed, with the pendant of khealith and other stuff as cannon, hellbaster hunter. Make him a BSB as well. Good stuff. I tell from experience
Cathel
Noble

Post by Cathel »

Keep your COK away from the organ gun! Mine strolled right into its sights due to stupidity and were gone. The Hydra can take that punishment, as my dwarven adversary has found out to his regret.
Remember the organ gun does not have to roll to hit, so your shades are not a good unit to charge it.

If he comes up with the gyrocopter, it dies even to harpies, so shades might do the job, too.

The sorceress needs to be level 2 and equip her with the darkstar cloak otherwise you won't get through his at least 4 DD. He might be bringing a runesmith, if he tools up that guy magic is a non-event anyways. He can go up to 6 DD with that one.
As said before, use your COK as flankers. Split them in two units and run them in tandem for double charges.

If those are the only minis you own, you will either need to proxy or run heavy on magic items to get your 1500 points.

Deny him hills if you can. Set up a wood on the middle axis (parallel to setup zones) of the table, stop deploying terrain. And if he sets up a hill for his shooters take that side for setup if possible. Setup for minimum shooting arcs of his warmachines.
Remember the Hydra is large, no hiding behind units. Get into CC asap, try to set your attack on his units so that you overrun into his cannons.
If they were not sitting on our land, I would not spend a single bolt on the Asur.
How to tell apart the elves:
Men run naked - Asrai
Women run naked - Druchii
Don't know whether man or woman - Asur
No one
Noble

Post by No one »

though I agree with all of the posters I would like to point these things out:
some DR and harpies would help you greatly versus any opponent, and more then 6 CoK's in one unit is a waster in my eyes: you're paying 135 points for a rank bonus wich you'll lose as soon as you suffer one casulty.

my 2 cents
'with hatred all things are possible' -Malus of Hag Greaf-

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"
Guardian112
Warrior

Post by Guardian112 »

In the OP he said he was using the 10 as two units of 5.
Darkangel16
Black Guard

Post by Darkangel16 »

if your not using the corsairs as screeners, and plan to use them in CC, banner of murder would help you get somewhere with those armor saves
Dante valentine
Cold One Knight

Post by Dante valentine »

His units might be tough and blessed with the highest base leadership in the game, but are so slow to watch its painful.

Use the speed to your advantage. I recently brokea dwarf army by running a few small units of wtich elves up one flank screened by harpies. Lots of poisoned attacks later and his unit of Warriors if fleeing, allowing me to get behind his lines. Beauty of this tactic is he has nothing fast enough to turn round and catch the naughty ladies.

Just try to deal with their artillery and shooting very early on and the pick of units at your lesiure.

Warning: Hammeres with a Lord are stubbon and immune to fear and terror. unless your planning to kill the Lord on the charge, prepare to get stuck into a long long combat.

Just my experience on the subject.

Kind Regards

Dante
Badhatharry
Trainee Warrior

Post by Badhatharry »

yesterday (also in a 1500pt battle), I lost 4/5 knights to an organ gun on turn 1, so that probably wouldn't be a tactic I'd go for again.

If you can take 2 sorceresses with chillwind you can lock him down to some extent.
Ultimately I was able to take out the war machines (organ gun and 2 grudge throwers) with a flanking assassin in a spearman unit & dark riders.

I did lose that one after 6 due to casualties in the center and not being able to bring the assassin back into the fight in time. A couple more turns I think it would have swung back in my favor tho
Tyury
Trainee Warrior

Post by Tyury »

I just did not have the units for the battle, lost with a solid. Next on my shopping list, harpies and DR :)
you can lose with a good tactic but you'll never win with a bad one.

My Brute will beat yours!