harpies - how to use them/redirecting

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Zenith
Noble

harpies - how to use them/redirecting

Post by Zenith »

Dear druchii scum.

Last day i had a discussion, why harpies and any other skirmisch unit for that matter are not good for redirecting.

He says that, when a ranked unit let say knights charge a skirmisch unit, he simply moves them in combat and that the harpies must line up to them!
i double checked the brb, but i wont get a satisfying diagram.

How does it work , when knights charge a skirmisch unit?
Badhatharry
Trainee Warrior

Post by Badhatharry »

Page 67 describes what happens when a ranked unit charges skirmishers, with diagram 66.4.

in order to charge the skirmishers the ranked unit has to complete it's charge move to contact one of the unit's models. Then the skirmishers rank up as a free move.

But that's only if the skirmishers choose to hold.
The point of redirecting of course is that you flee, and harpies are among the best flee'ers in the game.

I do not believe the people's case holds water.
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

They must move to contact the nearest skirmisher, in point of fact. So you make sure the nearest is on the very edge of the enemy's charge arc, and your fellow has to do a 45 degree wheel to get at that skirmisher.

That's why skirmishers are the best redirecting troops, and flyers the best among skirmishers - they get there sooner, or are just that bit more likely to finish exactly where you want them, and they flee further, and thus generally live to do it again. Also, Harpies don't cause any panic when they flee [or are destroyed] which is one reason why they are much better than say, Dark Riders for redirecting. The others are, as already mentioned, skirmishing and flying, and of course being six points each cheaper. Used to be they didn't count towards your minimum core or use general's Ld for a disadvantage, but now they're pretty much Smooth Carolina whichever way you look at it.

Your friends are in for a surprise or two, Druchii scum.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Zenith
Noble

Post by Zenith »

Ofcourse, set them at his angle..

Thanks mates