Still competitive without the obvious choice

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Clivegh
Trainee Warrior

Post by Clivegh »

I intend to ask you if we can build up a competitive list without most of our obvious and stronger choices: in particular
- pendant
- assassins (with or without stars)
- banner of hag graef
- shades

I do not use Assassins as they always find a way of dieing before they get there 160 points in. Against HE, sure but in a GT or RTT, no. They get killed by monsters, or any multi-wound creature with an AS or Ward Save. I have killed so many assassins with a Hydra, so I always look on them as bonus points.

Pendant> Well i take it on a Master to tie up big things, but the Reg armour would be a close second if I did not use it. I think you do not have to take it and still do well. Remember the other guy will think you have it, so bluff! Thats worth something!

banner of hag graef: You do Not have to have this, but it sure helps. I take BG so its there as it allows for me not to care about if I get charged. Against HE, it a game winner. Against most other armies, After the first round, Your I6 so your going first anyway. If you do not take BG then its NOT a must have (Or if you do not take a Hag BSB w/asf banner in Exe).

Shades; I love these guys, but ..... They always get killed by a dam Magic Missile or an area effect spell. IT TAKES A LOT OF WORK to protect these guys to stop Magic + Shooting + Everything Else from killing very very expensive models. Also to protect them, you must invest a HUGE amount of characters and lose the scout ability. I see these on the board and think, there an easy point sync. Sure you can run a lot and hide a lot, and runaway a lot, but DE / High Move Armies can catch you and kill you.

In another post, I mentioned that Hydras backed up with the COB can just crush a Shade Death Star Army, so I would rather have a wider range of models on the table than all my points in Shades.

I Think an more intresting question is if you do NOT have a Hydra in a DE Army. The Hydra is the most competive model in the DE army. Yes 4 RBT are a horror to go against, But I would rather fight 4 RBT any day of the week VS 2 Hydras.

Thanks
Clive
Its all about movement and tactics. Everything else is smoke and mirrors.